PDA

View Full Version : These Are the Same Players That Quit For Cowher

flippy
12-14-2009, 09:17 AM
Somehow we managed to stink up the joint 2 times after winning SuperBowls recently.

And the players are basically the same both times.

The more I think about this, the harder it seems to blame the coaches.

These players gave up on us again.

Cowher or Tomlin....doesn't matter.

We have a team of quiters.

Maybe we need to clean house.

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 09:54 AM
No they're not the same players. SOME of them are. But not all of them.

Just had this discussion with someone on the CHFF forum. Do you realize 12 of 22 starters are different between the '05 and '08 rosters?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... ineups.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/lineups.htm)

bostonsteeler
12-14-2009, 10:12 AM
They didn't quit on Cowher. We got to a 2-6 start after Ben's accident and concussion.
Then we went 6-2 the rest of the way.

9-7 would've got us in that year, and the team took the fight to the enemy in the second half of the year. It came down to the second match against the rats, which we shouldn't have lost..

flippy
12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

Just had this discussion with someone on the CHFF forum. Do you realize 12 of 22 starters are different between the '05 and '08 rosters?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/t ... ineups.htm (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/pit/lineups.htm)

point is it's the same key players. ben, ward, troy, heath, farrior, etc.

D Rock
12-14-2009, 12:08 PM

point is it's the same key players. ben, ward, troy, heath, farrior, etc.

Ben - Live and die by his style of play. Especially when the OC doesn't give a guy known to hold the ball forever any extra protection. This year it's death.

Ward - He drops balls a bit more than he used to. Concentration issues or age/wear and tear?

Troy - He's injured, but you can't blame him for that.

Heath - Best statistical season in all categories except drops. Where have these drops come from, especially when it's been mentioned that he doesn't even drop passes in practice? Got paid? Frustration from losing affecting his concentration? Who knows.

Farrior - Old and slow. Played at 218 last year, bulked up this year to protect his body. If protecting the body is the concern, then maybe he should be benched, because he sure plays like a turd at 245 compared to playing at 218.

So those are some of the 'rocks' of the team. Understandable reasons for most of them.

My issue isn't with the old guard, it's with the new players acting like a bunch of clowns.

SteelCzar76
12-15-2009, 12:11 PM
Coach Cowher's men never quit on him at any point in his career. It was simply a matter of them just being outclassed in terms of ability to score and knowing it, mostly due to terrible play at the QB position. And at times the inability to defend against the pass. (Chard Scott, The lame Washington, Mike Slogan, and Flowers near his end) And whether anyone will admit it or not this often has a negative psychological effect on even the most strong willed of individuals.

This was exactly the same case in his (Coach Cowher) final season. (In terms of the ridiculous play at the QB position)

ikestops85
12-15-2009, 12:25 PM
Coach Cowher's men never quit on him at any point in his career. It was simply a matter of them just being outclassed in terms of ability to score and knowing it, mostly due to terrible play at the QB position. And at times the inability to defend against the pass. (Chard Scott, The lame Washington, Mike Slogan, and Flowers near his end) And whether anyone will admit it or not this often has a negative psychological effect on even the most strong willed of individuals.

This was exactly the same case in his (Coach Cowher) final season. (In terms of the ridiculous play at the QB position)

I agree. I don't think any of the players quit on Cowher in his final season. I think Cowher quit on his players in that final season. His bags were packed after the first game was played.

I loved Cowher as a coach but that last year tarnished his reputation in my book. Regardless, I still think he did more with less than almost any other coach in history. His motivational skills were remarkable.

BURGH86STEEL
12-15-2009, 12:26 PM
I never understand how the fans reach this conclusion or try to make up such a weak excuse. Does it make some people happy? Is it a place to direct anger? Players are playing for jobs. Jobs with millions of dollars at stake. Hard for me to believe the players on this team quit.

All the games they loss were close games. Games they had opportunities to win. I might understand if the team got blown out on a weekly basis. I guess if thinking the players quit makes one feel better so be it.

SteelCzar76
12-15-2009, 12:36 PM

I agree. I don't think any of the players quit on Cowher in his final season. I think Cowher quit on his players in that final season. His bags were packed after the first game was played.

I loved Cowher as a coach but that last year tarnished his reputation in my book. Regardless, I still think he did more with less than almost any other coach in history. His motivational skills were remarkable.

I agree Ike. To me that was always one of Coach's greatest strengths referring to "When given Lemons, he'd make Champagne and let everyone wonder how the hell he did it.."

Though he wasn't perfect,...admittedly I miss Coach (Cowher) and salute him. :Steel

SteelBucks
12-15-2009, 12:38 PM

$$$

SteelTorch
12-15-2009, 04:00 PM

NOES!!! TOMLIN JUST INHERRITED COWHER'S TEAM AND DID NUTHING!!!!11!1!!!!!1!

aggiebones
12-15-2009, 04:21 PM
If every 3rd season we get a Super Bowl, I don't mind them resting the following season.

I think certain guys just didn't get the time off that they needed between seasons.
In particular Farrier, Ward and Troy. Oddly Ward has been injury free. Guys need more time off between seasons, its as simple as that. Its a lot longer season than it used to be.
A dynamic passing attack could repeat, but I doubt a team can out physical opponents for years on end.
It is what it is. This is a championship program, but that doesn't mean they will win every year and not lay an egg periodically.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 05:55 PM
If every 3rd season we get a Super Bowl, I don't mind them resting the following season.

I think certain guys just didn't get the time off that they needed between seasons.
In particular Farrier, Ward and Troy. Oddly Ward has been injury free. Guys need more time off between seasons, its as simple as that. Its a lot longer season than it used to be.
A dynamic passing attack could repeat, but I doubt a team can out physical opponents for years on end.
It is what it is. This is a championship program, but that doesn't mean they will win every year and not lay an egg periodically.

BINGO!!! I think it's damn near impossible to repeat due to the lack of hunger from being the last one to get up from the dinner table.

The Man of Steel
12-15-2009, 06:40 PM

BINGO!!! I think it's damn near impossible to repeat due to the lack of hunger from being the last one to get up from the dinner table.
"Lack of hunger" is spot on.

stlrz d
12-15-2009, 09:54 PM

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv275/taylorbell_photo/boxxy-trolling.jpg

bostonsteeler
12-15-2009, 10:03 PM

Yeah. I was just hoping it would be different. One gets spoilt.

bostonsteeler
12-15-2009, 10:09 PM

I agree Ike. To me that was always one of Coach's greatest strengths referring to "When given Lemons, he'd make Champagne and let everyone wonder how the hell he did it.."

Though he wasn't perfect,...admittedly I miss Coach (Cowher) and salute him. :Steel

Agree.
He wasn't the sharpest tack -- MT is way brighter than he ever was.
BUt he knew how to get people going. MT has a ways to go before he learns those skills.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 10:11 PM

Yeah. I was just hoping it would be different. One gets spoilt.

The Pats* did it didn't they? But I also remember a reporter saying he thought the Pats* lost when he went in the locker room and they had no joy.

To fade and fall just like 2006 pretty much shows our team knows how to party after a SB.

feltdizz
12-15-2009, 10:17 PM

Agree.
He wasn't the sharpest tack -- MT is way brighter than he ever was.
BUt he knew how to get people going. MT has a ways to go before he learns those skills.

I'm pretty sure we jumped on Cowher after his first losing season and said the same thing. Tomlin took a SB caliber team and won a SB with the hardest schedule EVER!!!

With Cowher I doubt he would have won a SB last year.. hell, we struggled to beat a pretty average Seahawks team with Cowher.

NJ-STEELER
12-15-2009, 10:47 PM
one would think that such a "master motivator" would be able to get his players more then 1 'by the skin of his big teeth' win in AFFC that he was favored by double digits

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 02:03 PM

So let me get this straight,.....if one stands for and is dedicated to this Organization for their entire life,..yet they do not choose to s#ck off Tomlin and Roethlisberger,..they are considered a "Troll" ? :lol: Grow up man,.....

cruzer8
12-18-2009, 04:06 PM

So let me get this straight,.....if one stands for and is dedicated to this Organization for their entire life,..yet they do not choose to s#ck off Tomlin and Roethlisberger,..they are considered a "Troll" ? :lol: Grow up man,.....

I would think someone like you who constantly takes the contrarian opinion is a troll, and someone who needs to grow up.

SteelCzar76
12-18-2009, 04:26 PM

I would think someone like you who constantly takes the contrarian opinion is a troll, and someone who needs to grow up.

Perhaps your ideal of adulthood and or maturity is simply "grabbing your Pom Pom's" and dutifully towing the company line even in spite of how irrational that might be in some senses.

But your truth is not my own. If you or anyone else do not like that,..so be it. But your really wasting your time attempting to "get at me" via a public forum from behind a computer screen. When you most certainly would not do so in my presence in real time. Again,...grow up.