PDA

View Full Version : Get those # 80 jerseys back out of the closet...

TallyStiller
12-12-2009, 07:22 PM
You heard it here first. Plax comes out of prison and resurrects his career in a Steeler uniform. Just watched the '02 Cleveland game on NFLN, and the reasons just kept coming to me as I watched...

1. Ben's relationship with Plax. He publicly begged the FO to resign him after the '04 season.

2. Plax's game. It will suffer less with age than most WR's. He has never needed speed to get open - he was the slowest wideout at the combine the year he came out, 4.59 as a rook.

3. Steelers' organization. Chris Mortensen was pushing hard on the idea that Michael Vick would end up here because of our organizational stability, supportive fan base, strong locker room, coach with job security... same factors will be in play in '11 when Plax gets out.

4. Cost- we can get him cheap, for obvious reasons

5. Changed attitude. Not much in this world will humblea person like a stint in corrections. He'll be burning with a desire to rebuild his image and career, and a winning organization with a star QB throwing it and Santonio Holmes opposite would seem a perfect fit.

I'm convinced it happens. While I know it's a while off, I need something to distract me from the bleak present situation and the prospect of a football - less January.

Scarletfire1970
12-12-2009, 07:56 PM
i am all for it

Wolfhound45
12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
http://www.hgwt.com/myclose.jpg

:stirpot

All kidding aside, I always love a good "comeback" story. Hopefully he will get a chance to make it with another team in the NFL. I would not have any problems if he came back to the Steelers.

stlrz d
12-12-2009, 09:01 PM
Add this to the list of "things that will never happen".

SteelBucks
12-12-2009, 09:06 PM
Add this to the list of "things that will never happen".

x2

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Add Plax?

Wouldn't that sort of be like shooting yourself in the foot?

:lol: Sorry, I couldn't resist.

feelthesteel
12-13-2009, 01:27 AM
Plax said he'd come back if we install the run n shoot.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2009, 01:30 AM
Plax said he'd come back if we install the run n shoot.

Well, we do run out of a shotgun formation an awful lot. Ben could throw him a bullet pass. :wink:

TallyStiller
12-13-2009, 10:06 AM
Shaun McDonald, Cedric Wilson, Terrance Mathis... Colbert has a history of bringing in bargain priced veteran free agents in at WR to augment the group. How much longer does Hines stick around? If you're in the market for a #2 or a #3 (if Wallace continues to develop, or if Sweed stops dropping the freaking ball), where else are you going to find a better fit with more potential upside? All jokes aside (and there are PLENTY to be made, for sure...) it makes sense even given the parameters of how the Steelers' FO operates.

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 11:29 AM
Shaun McDonald, Cedric Wilson, Terrance Mathis... Colbert has a history of bringing in bargain priced veteran free agents in at WR to augment the group. How much longer does Hines stick around? If you're in the market for a #2 or a #3 (if Wallace continues to develop, or if Sweed stops dropping the freaking ball), where else are you going to find a better fit with more potential upside? All jokes aside (and there are PLENTY to be made, for sure...) it makes sense even given the parameters of how the Steelers' FO operates.

Name the amount...I'll put it up against Burress not coming back to Pittsburgh as a member of the Steelers.

feelthesteel
12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
they gave it some thought then it got shot down--buboom boom.

feelthesteel
12-13-2009, 11:50 AM
i just found my old Kordell jersey-that came out of the closet.

TallyStiller
12-13-2009, 03:03 PM

Name the amount...I'll put it up against Burress not coming back to Pittsburgh as a member of the Steelers.

Just a general "didn't like the guy when he was here, don't want him back" feeling, or something more specific make you feel that way?

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 04:02 PM

Just a general "didn't like the guy when he was here, don't want him back" feeling, or something more specific make you feel that way?

He was a major problem when he was here. The organization isn't going to bring back a guy who doesn't show up around, what was it...Mother's Day, just because? They're not going to bring back a guy who drove around town in a truck bigger than my house complaining that he wasn't getting paid. They're not going to bring back a guy who crated a myriad of different issues.

He was a great talent on the field. Off it he was a problem.

Name your bet...he's not coming back. Count on it.

TallyStiller
12-13-2009, 05:23 PM
Guess I should caveat this with "if some time in the pentitentiary brings a newfound humility" which is, frankly, something I expect. If he comes out the same old gun toting, pot smoking Plax, I agree... I want no part of him. But 2 years at Rikers' Island can bring on some self reflection, and I think seeing how fragile his success really was will bring big changes. If he sraightens out his head, even at 34 or however old he'll be coming out, he 'll still perform at a very high level... and I'd love to see my beloved B & G be the beneficiaries.

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 09:29 PM
Like I said, name your bet. :D

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 09:58 AM
You heard it here first. Plax comes out of prison and resurrects his career in a Steeler uniform. Just watched the '02 Cleveland game on NFLN, and the reasons just kept coming to me as I watched...

1. Ben's relationship with Plax. He publicly begged the FO to resign him after the '04 season.

2. Plax's game. It will suffer less with age than most WR's. He has never needed speed to get open - he was the slowest wideout at the combine the year he came out, 4.59 as a rook.

3. Steelers' organization. Chris Mortensen was pushing hard on the idea that Michael Vick would end up here because of our organizational stability, supportive fan base, strong locker room, coach with job security... same factors will be in play in '11 when Plax gets out.

4. Cost- we can get him cheap, for obvious reasons

5. Changed attitude. Not much in this world will humblea person like a stint in corrections. He'll be burning with a desire to rebuild his image and career, and a winning organization with a star QB throwing it and Santonio Holmes opposite would seem a perfect fit.

I'm convinced it happens. While I know it's a while off, I need something to distract me from the bleak present situation and the prospect of a football - less January.

IMO not a chance in the world. The organization cuts ties with players who spurn them and I don't see that changing.

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 10:01 AM

Will you give odds?

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 10:05 AM
The chances of getting Plax may not be that bad after all. All we need to do is add a "Plax is allowed to do all the showboating he wants" clause to his contract. :mrgreen:

All joking aside, I would love get Plax back. If he can return to form, and I think he would, he would be the dominant presence he was before being cut by the Giants. Only this time, hopefully, he would have all that showboating, breadloafing, and hot-dogging out of his system after some sobering time to think about those ways.

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 10:06 AM

Will you give odds?

I said name your bet, right?

It's never happening. I am fully confident in that.

frankthetank1
12-14-2009, 10:11 AM
this is a joke. no way plax would be back in the burgh. why would the steelers want him? can plax play either cb or safety?

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 11:09 AM
this is a joke. no way plax would be back in the burgh. why would the steelers want him? can plax play either cb or safety?

Tom Brady has speculated this very thing ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqErnhih ... re=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqErnhihQFQ&feature=related)

:lol:

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 11:10 AM
[quote=TallyStiller]Shaun McDonald, Cedric Wilson, Terrance Mathis... Colbert has a history of bringing in bargain priced veteran free agents in at WR to augment the group. How much longer does Hines stick around? If you're in the market for a #2 or a #3 (if Wallace continues to develop, or if Sweed stops dropping the freaking ball), where else are you going to find a better fit with more potential upside? All jokes aside (and there are PLENTY to be made, for sure...) it makes sense even given the parameters of how the Steelers' FO operates.

Will you give odds?

I said name your bet, right?

It's never happening. I am fully confident in that.[/quote:2vlytil4]

Name my bet? Ok. $1 with 1 million to 1 odds.

Come to think of it ... 1 Cent with 100 million to 1 odds. :P

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 11:12 AM
If the Steelers sign Plax, stlrz_d will poop in the fridge and eat an entire wheel of cheese.

SteelAbility
12-14-2009, 11:42 AM
If the Steelers sign Plax, stlrz_d will poop in the fridge and eat an entire wheel of cheese.

And if he somehow defects on that, we will all MAKE him do it. :tt2

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 11:54 AM

And if he somehow defects on that, we will all MAKE him do it. :tt2

How'd he do that? Hey, I'm not even mad. I'm impressed. That's amazing. :D

Jom112
12-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm guessing the Bengals are probably the favorites to land him. The Laveranues Coles experiment isn't going so well. A tall big play receiver available on the market for cheap probably has Mike Brown foaming at the mouth...

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm guessing the Bengals are probably the favorites to land him. The Laveranues Coles experiment isn't going so well. A tall big play receiver available on the market for cheap probably has Mike Brown foaming at the mouth...

Winner winner chicken dinner. You know your team, brother.

I'm sure Mike Brown has the well-used ex-con red carpet ready to be rolled out.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
As for my own opinion, I think we have just as good a chance of dusting off an old Cedrick Wilson #80 jersey as we do a Burress #80 jersey...essentially no shot.