PDA

View Full Version : Watched America's Game... thoughts on differences this year

TallyStiller
12-12-2009, 04:42 PM
One thing I noticed was who was doing the talking in the defensive huddles before the ballgames, or when we needed a big play on that side of the ball... it was Aaron Smith or Deshea Townsend or James Farrior. If those guys are your defense's vocal leaders, and not one of them makes any plays this season, it's awfully hard to step up and get it done when it matters. Make no mistake. This is still a very good defense. But several important pieces, due to age or injury, didn't contribute this year. New leaders have yet to step up and fill that void.

The second thing I noticed was the number of close victories... games that, for want of a single big play, could have been losses, like they have been this year - Troy's pick in the AFCC, Deshea's pick against Dallas. On offense, there were playmakers who stepped up against Jacksonville, Baltimore twice, San Diego and to overcome the Dallas deficit. That team was a few plays from 8 - 8 or 7 - 9, where this team likely ends up. Honestly, I feel like you have to have a certain measure of luck (or a really good videographer and film library :evil: ) to continually get those breaks to go your way. If it takes a 7 - 9 season to balance out getting them all in the course of a Super Bowl run, I'll take it. I sat through 15 years of watching Bill Cowher's regular season champs get rolled in the playoffs, and I'm still proudly wearing my XLIII Champs gear. Let's get Smitty and Troy back healthy, replace a couple of guys who've lost a step, and see a couple guys grow into leadership roles, and we'll be right back where we want to be.

NJ-STEELER
12-12-2009, 04:50 PM
someone should post a youtube of that tidbit of where tomlin saw D wasn't getting up the field on INTs in practice during the week of the SB.

then cut to troy's comments saying "that was great coaching"

stlrz d
12-12-2009, 08:55 PM
someone should post a youtube of that tidbit of where tomlin saw D wasn't getting up the field on INTs in practice during the week of the SB.

then cut to troy's comments saying "that was great coaching"

Couldn't have been great coaching...he's just an overpaid janitor, remember?

NorthCoast
12-13-2009, 11:26 AM
This falls in line with Cowher's mantra of winning being "a fine line" in the NFL. Jimmy Johnson said as much earlier in the week when talking about the Steelers. Said that it looks like they are not prepared in these losses and the players are not playing with the same intensity as in the past. If not for special teams, we may be looking forward to playoff games this season. They accounted for at least 2 losses.
This is just a team that has lost focus but I think they still have the talent to win against most teams.