PDA

View Full Version : Harrison takes blame for letdown

fordfixer
12-12-2009, 02:14 AM
Steelers' Harrison takes blame for letdown

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 12, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 57450.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_657450.html)

Less than a week after saying his teammates needed to focus on doing their own job, Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison admittedly did not heed his own words.

As a result, the reigning NFL Defensive Player of the Year repeatedly found himself out of position Thursday night at Cleveland Browns Stadium. Not coincidentally, the Browns, who entered the game last in the NFL in total offense, piled up 171 rushing yards in a 13-6 upset of the Steelers.

"We weren't gap sound, especially me," Harrison said after the Steelers allowed the most rushing yards in a game since December of 2007. "I was guilty of letting a few runs break out. I was doing things that wasn't my job to do, then I am not taking care of my job, and that is where it breaks down."

The Steelers slipped from first to third in the NFL in rushing defense (84.9 yards per game) following their first loss in Cleveland since 2000. They have given up an average of 137.3 rushing yards in their last three games.

"I think in the situation we're in, things are kind of snowballing, guys are kind of pressing and doing too much," nose tackle Casey Hampton said, "and when you try to do too much in this defense, you can mess everybody else up. I think that's been kind of happening to us."

Joshua Cribbs, Harrison's former teammate at Kent State, took advantage of several breakdowns to rush for 87 yards on just eight carries.

Cribbs, a wide receiver, burned the Steelers while taking direct snaps in the Wildcat formation. In the second quarter, he broke several tackles en route to a 37-yard run that set up a Phil Dawson field goal.

Harrison said the Steelers were ready for the Wildcat, which the Browns also had used in the teams' two previous meetings.

The two-time Pro Bowler took a large part of the blame for the Steelers' inability to contain Cribbs.

"It came down to guys really pressing and doing more than what their job is," Harrison said. "I am really the No. 1 person who was guilty of that. We really need to start to get back to fundamentals. Doing what it is what you are supposed to do."

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2009, 10:29 AM
Although I don't particularly blame Harrison for where our team is (I'm afraid he'd track me down ...), in my minds eye, when Cribbs did those wildcat sweeps, I wonder if Harrison overpursued to the inside too much.

I think when a team is sinking everyone tries to compensate for "the other guy", with the result that there are a lot of uncovered gaps. Like in Cribb's run back.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-12-2009, 10:49 AM
[quote="fordfixer"]Steelers' Harrison takes blame for letdown

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, December 12, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 57450.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_657450.html)

"We weren't gap sound, especially me," Harrison said after the Steelers allowed the most rushing yards in a game since December of 2007. "I was guilty of letting a few runs break out. I was doing things that wasn't my job to do, then I am not taking care of my job, and that is where it breaks down."

Read an article a few weeks ago (don't remember where at this point) where Ike Taylor made the same kind of comment about trying to do something other than his position/play. Why now these kinds of comments and where is the breakdown OR is it a combination of all the injuries to key players and those veterans trying to compensate for the newer players?

Kindle

flippy
12-12-2009, 12:01 PM
Those runs were going left right where Harrison should have been normally.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Harrison covering for Timmons lack of run support? Ike trying to play short and deep to help out Ty Carter? On the one cutback, I think the one for the TD, Kirshke overpursues. If we had Aaron Smith in there maybe he doesn't.

Shoe
12-12-2009, 03:30 PM
I definitely can see this as the case (i.e. you think the next guy is inadequate, so you naturally try to compensate--and that makes you vulnerable). It's funny and refreshing to hear James say it, since this was considered his big weakness when he was a youngster (freelancing too much).

God I wish we drafted Revis two years ago (instead of Timmons, though I like him too). We need line depth, but if a Revis shows up in the draft this year, I'd prefer that.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2009, 04:15 PM
Those runs were going left right where Harrison should have been normally.

As I thought I might have remembered, thanks for the confirmation, Flippy.

I think Harrison usually keeps an eye out for a run to his side of the field, even when bull rushing 100%. It'd be nice to see a replay, what was he doing on those Cribbs runs to the left.

Then again, it probably wouldn't be nice. Probably best to just let it lie and die ...