PDA

View Full Version : Who Do You Bench To Get The Point Across?

buckeyehoppy
12-12-2009, 01:27 AM
The Steelers are 6-7 headed to 6-10...possibly. Does it need to be that way?

I've said all along that if Coach Mike Tomlin is ever going to put a real imprint on the Steelers that he would need to have the opportunity to do so. Well, no better time than the present!

Coach Tomlin has 9 days until the home game against the Peckers. And while it's probably unrealistic that anything is going to happen within the coaching staff, it's completely realistic that we will see some new starters against Green Bay.

This is the first real chance for Coach Tomlin to make a statement within his team that say that the Steelers are his team.

To do that, I say he takes the opportunity in the last three games to employ some of his bench and get the dead weight in the starting lineup off the field to send the message that if you don't produce, you might not have a job with the Pittsburgh Steelers for long.

My suggestion to start:

Bench Ike for Joe Burnett: if Ike is our best cover corner, it ain't sayin' much. I haven't been real impressed with Burnett to this point. But, we need to find out what we've got with this guy. The need at this position is becoming more obvious every time the opposing QB puts up a pass. Ike is a train wreck and is regressing as a player. With the draft projections at this position not looking so hot for the 1st Round, playing Burnett is a gamble worth taking.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
You could also bench Gay for Keenan Lewis, and Kirschke for Ziggy Hood.

fordfixer
12-12-2009, 01:57 AM
Can you bench the O.C.?

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 02:24 AM
Can you bench the O.C.?

If you mean the offensive center, then yes, I suppose you can bench Justin Hartwig for Doug Legursky. :wink:

Just in the off chance that you meant offensive coordinator, I expect him to be sacked in early January (and not the type of sack made famous by James Harrison either...the kind of sacking that is done via pink slip). :D

fordfixer
12-12-2009, 02:45 AM
Can you bench the O.C.?

If you mean the offensive center, then yes, I suppose you can bench Justin Hartwig for Doug Legursky. :wink:

Just in the off chance that you meant offensive coordinator, I expect him to be sacked in early January (and not the type of sack made famous by James Harrison either...the kind of sacking that is done via pink slip). :D

Well I expected the Steelers to beat the Browns last and we all know how that turned out

buckeyehoppy
12-12-2009, 03:35 AM
So far, all these are suggestions that I like and are doable. Maybe a few more could be suggested, but I'm doubtful that they would pull the trigger on these.

It wouldn't hurt, IMHO, to run Colon to the bench for Foster. Or, move Colon inside to RG, play Foster at RT and bench Essex.

Also, I suggested in another thread that maybe we give some PT to DDix as well. Maybe not bench Benjamin, but bring in DDix to play a few series to get a look at whether we really need to go after another QB.

And I said that it was unrealistic to expect movement on the coaching staff. But, what does everybody think about The Coffee Achiever (Ken Anderson) taking over as interim OC and launching BA right now? I mean, what's the point in delaying the inevitable when the outcome of the season has been virtually decided?

It might not be the "Steeler Way" to do a coach during the season. But, I don't think you get any more non-Steeler Way than what we are seeing now.

stlrz d
12-12-2009, 08:07 AM
I'd like to see Timmons and Fox on the field at the same time...and longer than just a few plays.

Farrior isn't gonna be around forever.

papillon
12-12-2009, 09:33 AM
First of all I don't believe that wholesale changes should happen right now. I think that Burnett and Lewis should see enough time to give the coaching staff an idea of what they have in these players. I want them to play and try to win 3 more games; I hate the "I give up" attitude that I feel in many posts.

Ziggy Hood should see some extended time and Sweed should see more playing time, but, not exclusively.

That's it, you make the sweeping changes after the season and there will probably be many. Right now, you try and focus on winning three games.

Pappy

NorthCoast
12-12-2009, 09:53 AM
I would like to understand source for all the "miscommunications" that are going on. To me, this is more disturbing than some of the play. Are they not watching film? How are we getting caught with so many out of position? Are the young guys just not prepared (Gay, Mundy)?
Steelers played like they were unprepared on Thursday. Cleveland had a short week too, but it looks like they did there homework. It was a coaching collapse as much as a player collapse in my opinion.

steelfin
12-12-2009, 11:40 AM
MIke Tomlin....He needs to know that he is utlimately responsible for his team...He is the HC....

He also needs to know that actions speak louder than words...You actually have to do what you say to get the outcome you expect....

He is young and he is learning....but what a painful season it has been for the fans....

flippy
12-12-2009, 11:54 AM
Bench everyone.

And put all the benched starters on ST.

D Rock
12-12-2009, 01:55 PM
Bench everyone.

And put all the benched starters on ST.

As obvious a joke as this is, I do love the idea of sending benched players to ST.

Maybe it will both help the ST for the rest of the year and also humiliate those former starters into playing better.

birtikidis
12-12-2009, 02:02 PM
I'd like to see carter sit and Mundy get some serious playing time.

NorCal-Steeler
12-12-2009, 02:57 PM
give the last 3 games to Sweed to see if he stays or goes, although i dont know who you sit for him.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 03:07 PM
give the last 3 games to Sweed to see if he stays or goes, although i dont know who you sit for him.

I agree that Sweed should get more opportunities in this stretch run. I don't think you sit anyone in particular for him (you can blame Hines, Holmes, or Wallace...since all 3 have had excellent seasons) but just rotate Sweed in more. When you go 3-wide, you can start out with Ward-Holmes-Wallace as usual, but then maybe switch to Ward-Holmes-Sweed, then maybe Holmes-Wallace-Sweed, then Ward-Wallace-Sweed. None of our establish receivers are penalized, but Sweed gets on the field more.

Shoe
12-12-2009, 03:56 PM

This of course assumes that Sweed (or whatever young buck you/I want to see play) has earned it in practice. In other words, someone who makes it very difficult for the coaches NOT TO play...

...in that case, I think we'd have already seen him more. (Though I think Hines gimpy hammy may end up giving him some extra snaps.)

Same deal with Burnett. Again, "lucky" for Burnett that the guys ahead of him haven't done ish themselves, so I guess he may have a shot. But the only time I recall him distinguishing himself on the field, he dropped a pass that my 60-something year old mother might've caught.

I do like Key Fox as well, but I don't think you go and bench one of your captains like Farrior.

NW Steeler
12-12-2009, 04:30 PM
First of all I don't believe that wholesale changes should happen right now. I think that Burnett and Lewis should see enough time to give the coaching staff an idea of what they have in these players. I want them to play and try to win 3 more games; I hate the "I give up" attitude that I feel in many posts.

Ziggy Hood should see some extended time and Sweed should see more playing time, but, not exclusively.

That's it, you make the sweeping changes after the season and there will probably be many. Right now, you try and focus on winning three games.

Pappy

I'm with pappy on this one. I don't think you will see wholesale changes or benchings until we are officially eliminated at least.

Lonbull
12-12-2009, 06:56 PM
To begin with I don't think the Steelers are playing poorly due to a lack of effort - so benching anybody to get a "point across" doesn't really make much sense to me. That being written - I do think that if and when the Steelers are officially eliminated from the playoffs there are some opportunities to look at.

1st - If I were the Steelers I would immediately put both Hines Ward and Troy Polamalu on the IR. This is basically a round about way of giving two starters the rest of the season to heal.

With Hines out of the way I would give Sweed and Wallace more playing time. This would give Sweed a chance to secure a spot on next year's team, and Wallace a chance to play from Ward's position.

While I would love to see Foster, Urbik and Hills get a chance to play - you're putting your greatest asset #7 at risk just to give the young guys a chance to play. So I think you continue with your starting front five.

I would run a few plays using Stefan Logan if that's the plan for next season.

Ziggy Hood is your new starter for the rest of the season.

I would move either Lewis or Burnett to the nickel back - most likely they're not ready to be used in this defense as starters - however they "should" replace Townsend as much as possible.

And I would also like to see Fox and Timmons used as the Starters at ILB (as was previously stated).

IMO - Tomlin has the best players on the field - and isn't giving anyone special treatment.

buckeyehoppy
12-12-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd like to see Timmons and Fox on the field at the same time...and longer than just a few plays.

Farrior isn't gonna be around forever.

I LOVE Kiki Fox. He reminds me of Larry Foote (a good thing) and has a great motor which has helped him his entire career on ST. Would love to see him get plugged in next to LT.

Wolfhound45
12-12-2009, 08:18 PM
Can he bench the entire team?

Seriously, the season is over with. No "benching" (IMO) is going to make a huge difference. Time to recognize 2009 for what it was, a squandered opportunity to make a mark as the "Team of the Decade."

"War's over, man. Wormer dropped the big one."

http://www.filmdope.com/Gallery/ActorsM/11602-13443.gif