PDA

View Full Version : Bruce A. to retire rumor

Steelhere10
12-11-2009, 11:30 PM
I was listening to espn radio Pitt. and Jerome B says that there is a rumor floating that Bruce A. would retire after this season. We all know that the Bus is the one that broke Cowher retirement rumor, let's just pray that this is true.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 12:06 AM
Retire before you can be fired to save face. That's fine with me.

Steelhere10
12-12-2009, 12:07 AM
:Cheers

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2009, 01:24 AM
Bruce A gone ... OMG, that would be so awesome. Who could we get? I know - Jim Fassel!!

Sorry about that ... But who do you guys think would be available, and good? I think it would need to be an old school guy, no buddy-buddy with Ben. But the only ones I can think of would never agree to an OC position - Parcells, Shanahan ... Sometimes the coordinators come from head coaches that have just been fired ... who's on the chopping block this season? We don't want the Cowgirl coach, that's for sure.

stlrz d
12-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Just an FYI...Parcells came from the defensive side of the ball. He's never been an OC and never has he called a game. Not that you were throwing him out there as a realistic candidate, because I know you weren't. Just lettin' you know. :)

BURGH86STEEL
12-12-2009, 08:23 AM
I don't think it will matter who they hire. Fans will always be critical of the OC for this team.

steelsnis
12-12-2009, 09:05 AM
If there is any truth to this, my hope is that they hire a young offensive mind in the mold of a Brian Schottenheimer or a Josh McDaniels. I just hate it when old re-treads keep getting tossed back and forth btwn teams.

There has to be some good young minds out there. Kyle Shanahan is a name I've heard. Anyone have any ideas?

frankthetank1
12-12-2009, 09:34 AM
I don't think it will matter who they hire. Fans will always be critical of the OC for this team.

that is very true but there havent been that many OC's that have been criticized as much as BA

Steeler Shades
12-12-2009, 09:35 AM
Charlie Weis. No need in waiting until the end of the season so that the Tomlin supporters can complain how there were no coaches for him to choose from...... 8)

frankthetank1
12-12-2009, 09:47 AM
Charlie Weis. No need in waiting until the end of the season so that the Tomlin supporters can complain how there were no coaches for him to choose from...... 8)

haha thats a good one :lol:

steelerkeylargo
12-12-2009, 11:58 AM
MARK WHIPPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 12:58 PM
If there is any truth to this, my hope is that they hire a young offensive mind in the mold of a Brian Schottenheimer or a Josh McDaniels. I just hate it when old re-treads keep getting tossed back and forth btwn teams.

There has to be some good young minds out there. Kyle Shanahan is a name I've heard. Anyone have any ideas?

Kyle Shanahan is an O.C. for the Texans. You can't hire another team's O.C. to make him your O.C. since it is a lateral move (You could hire another team's QB coach to be your O.C., or another team's O.C. to be your H.C., since those would be promotions). However, if Houston fired Kubiak and his staff, I think both Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan would be viable O.C. candidates (although both of them are proponents of zone blocking).

D Rock
12-12-2009, 01:59 PM
Is it crazy to hope that Tony Dungy might be willing to come in and help out an old protege/friend in Tomlin by setting the offense straight for a couple years?

Yeah, he wasn't running the offensive show in Indy, but he was around it long enough that I'm sure he knows every last detail about how to coordinate a great offense.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 02:05 PM
Is it crazy to hope that Tony Dungy might be willing to come in and help out an old protege/friend in Tomlin by setting the offense straight for a couple years?

Yeah, he wasn't running the offensive show in Indy, but he was around it long enough that I'm sure he knows every last detail about how to coordinate a great offense.

Yeah, I think that is an awfully long shot. If Dungy wanted to return to coaching (and I don't think he does at this point), he would be in line for another head coaching gig, not as an O.C. somewhere, even for an old friend. Same thing for people mentioning Mike Shanahan as a potential O.C. candidate. Dude's gonna be a head coach, not an O.C.

birtikidis
12-12-2009, 02:05 PM
No to Dungy. first I don't think he'd do it and second I don't think he knows alot about Offense. remember how putrid his offenses were in tampa? it wasn't until he had peyton that he had a decent offense.
whoever said weiss, I like the idea. hate the man, but he can call a good game.

sd steel
12-12-2009, 02:08 PM

that is very true but there havent been that many OC's that have been criticized as much as BA

Yes, because Ben is untouchable, Steeler fans used to ultimately always blame the QB. The first year Ben played we were 15-1, and the OC made Ben a "game manager", the second year we won the Super Bowl, the next year there were excuses because of the accident, the next year Ben played well, they opened up the offense to Ben's liking, and we lost mostly due to defensive injuries, but Arians caught the blame for some bad calls against JAX. Then we win another Super Bowl with a horrible oline, and Ben playing lights out "sandlot football", with no real running game. We continued to move more towards passing this year, although we had a better oline and running game, our defense let down and had injuries, and teams caught on to Ben's "Sandlot", game, and now they want to blame the OC.

I really do hope we get a new OC, who can help get us back to Ben managing games, and get us back to a power run team. But I think blame for the offensive woes always has to be pointed more at the QB than anyone else, even if he is a great talent and helped to bring us 2 championships.

BURGH86STEEL
12-12-2009, 02:38 PM

That is because people blamed one Bill Cowher for all the calls they did not agree with.

NorCal-Steeler
12-12-2009, 02:42 PM
what about bumping Ken Anderson up?

BURGH86STEEL
12-12-2009, 02:48 PM

Yes, because Ben is untouchable, Steeler fans used to ultimately always blame the QB. The first year Ben played we were 15-1, and the OC made Ben a "game manager", the second year we won the Super Bowl, the next year there were excuses because of the accident, the next year Ben played well, they opened up the offense to Ben's liking, and we lost mostly due to defensive injuries, but Arians caught the blame for some bad calls against JAX. Then we win another Super Bowl with a horrible oline, and Ben playing lights out "sandlot football", with no real running game. We continued to move more towards passing this year, although we had a better oline and running game, our defense let down and had injuries, and teams caught on to Ben's "Sandlot", game, and now they want to blame the OC.

I really do hope we get a new OC, who can help get us back to Ben managing games, and get us back to a power run team. But I think blame for the offensive woes always has to be pointed more at the QB than anyone else, even if he is a great talent and helped to bring us 2 championships.

If the team gets a new OC that everyone(I doubt this happens) likes, it will be interesting to see where fans point the blame if the offense remains inconsistent. Will they blame Tomlin, Ben, or the new OC? Knowing some fans, they will continue to blame BA. :lol: :lol:

It may be time to cut back on some of Ben's responsibilities. I am unsure he will become the type of passer all of us thought based on his early success. I still have hope that he can. If Ben remains an inconsistent passer the offense will continue to be inconsistent.
Only time will tell.

Shoe
12-12-2009, 03:20 PM
Personally, I don't think Tomline would be interested in bringing in a young hot-shot type coordinator: e.g. a Sean Payton type (back when he was an OC)

I may be wrong, but I think he'd prefer to select a guy like Arians (no threat) who is an NFL-lifer type... with limited HC potential (e.g. Kevin Gilbride type).

SteelBucks
12-12-2009, 03:34 PM
One can only pray that this is true. I'm willing to go 6-10 this season if it means the return of power football on offense.

steelsun7
12-12-2009, 04:09 PM
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis

OK, I gotta ask all you Weiss guys - why do you think he's so good? He did well in * land when they had the cheating advantage of illegal film of the opposing teams. Then he pretty much s*cked the big one for the last few years.

Why do you think he would do well with us (since we don't film the opposing teams)?

Oviedo
12-12-2009, 04:20 PM

Absolutely. Unfortunately for any OC we get many Steelers fans are qualified to be an NFL offensive coordinator but choose not to because working at Wal Mart is so much more fulfilling.

Every OC we have had in the last 15 except Chan Gailey got ripped: Ron Earhardt, Joe Walton, Mike Mularkey, Whienhunt and who could forget Ray Sherman. None were as good as the fans on this board some were just lucky to be here before the explosion of blogs..

Oviedo
12-12-2009, 04:22 PM

Ray Sherman. Remember him? Joe Walton. Remember him? Ron Earhardt. Remember him?

Oviedo
12-12-2009, 04:29 PM

Kyle Shanahan is an O.C. for the Texans. You can't hire another team's O.C. to make him your O.C. since it is a lateral move (You could hire another team's QB coach to be your O.C., or another team's O.C. to be your H.C., since those would be promotions). However, if Houston fired Kubiak and his staff, I think both Gary Kubiak and Kyle Shanahan would be viable O.C. candidates (although both of them are proponents of zone blocking).

Kubiak is likely to get fired and his staff will probably be looking for jobs. Kubiak himself would be a very good choice as you state.

One name I keep throwing out there is Jeremy Bates. He was with Tomlin in Tampa as the offensive quality coach. Was the wr/qb coach for Denver when Cutler got started. He also assisted Rick Dennison with the offensive line in Denver. Currently the OC for USC. USC essentially runs a pro style offense so I think he would be ready.

steelnavy
12-12-2009, 05:41 PM

Absolutely. Unfortunately for any OC we get many Steelers fans are qualified to be an NFL offensive coordinator but choose not to because working at Wal Mart is so much more fulfilling.

Every OC we have had in the last 15 except Chan Gailey got ripped: Ron Earhardt, Joe Walton, Mike Mularkey, Whienhunt and who could forget Ray Sherman. None were as good as the fans on this board some were just lucky to be here before the explosion of blogs..

The only OC I recall really stinking up the joint was Ray Sherman. He was a real turd in the punchbowl.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-12-2009, 08:06 PM
To all you guys saying it won't matter who it is, they will get ripped, etc.......I got one question for you:

Do you think Bruce Arians is a good NFL Offensive Coordinator?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-12-2009, 08:14 PM
Here is a name I will toss out there. Would be an interesting rivalry with the Ravens....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Harbaugh

SteelBucks
12-12-2009, 09:08 PM
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis
Charlie Weis

No
No
No

ghettoscott
12-12-2009, 09:28 PM
norm chow?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-12-2009, 11:34 PM
norm chow?

Cat chow might be better than BA.

NW Steeler
12-13-2009, 01:42 AM

The only OC I recall really stinking up the joint was Ray Sherman. He was a real turd in the punchbowl.

Joe Walton had a greater stench than Sherman did.

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2009, 01:51 AM

I agree that those two were the worst, but many forget that Kevin Gilbride was the O.C. here for a brief period, and I would put Gilbride third in that pecking order of shame. Although he had success with the Jaguars before us and the Giants after us, that guy seemed intent on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole during his time in Pittsburgh. I'd put Arians fourth behind Gilbride. I didn't have much of a problem with Gailey, Whisenhunt, Mularkey, and Erhardt as I did with Sherman, Walton, Gilbride, and Arians.

NWNewell
12-13-2009, 09:07 AM
I was listening to espn radio Pitt. and Jerome B says that there is a rumor floating that Bruce A. would retire after this season. We all know that the Bus is the one that broke Cowher retirement rumor, let's just pray that this is true.

Don't tease me!

Steelhere10
12-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Don't tease me!That is what the Bus said no lie.

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree that those two were the worst, but many forget that Kevin Gilbride was the O.C. here for a brief period, and I would put Gilbride third in that pecking order of shame. Although he had success with the Jaguars before us and the Giants after us, that guy seemed intent on trying to fit a square peg into a round hole during his time in Pittsburgh. I'd put Arians fourth behind Gilbride. I didn't have much of a problem with Gailey, Whisenhunt, Mularkey, and Erhardt as I did with Sherman, Walton, Gilbride, and Arians.

Cosigned.

Flasteel
12-13-2009, 02:49 PM

This is absolutely the way I see things as well. While guys like Erhardt, Gailey, Mularkey, & Whiz may have received criticism, it was a minority of fans and pales in comparison to those guys in our OC Hall of Shame. I would have to rank them pretty much the same way.
1. Sherman
2. Walton
3. Gilbride
4. Arians

I only rank Arians 4th because he did do some good things with the offense such as pare down the playbook and involve our franchise QB in the process. We also have had some team success during his reign of incompetency. I think Gilbride and even Walton were far better coaches however...just not the right fit for Pittsburgh and their players.

I don't want to sit here and be celebrating too much that Arians might be retiring, fired or otherwise move on. It's hard to cheer for bad things to happen to others but at the same time, he needs to go or we don't get this offense where it has the potential to go...period.

Whoever we do get to replace him (providing of course that he actually goes), Mike Tomlin needs to look at his quarterback and decide which offensive philosophy is going to best suit his skill set. I say that bringing in someone with a proven track record of successful playcalling who has that run-first mentality is the guy to get.

I'm not in any way suggesting the proverbial "3 yards and a cloud of dust" approach, but somebody who understands that your running game sets the table. Ben's phenomenal success on play-action kinda backs that up, as does his quarterback rating when we had a dependable ground game. We have tremendous weapons in the passing game, but they need to be used more efficiently, not just used more.

steelblood
12-14-2009, 08:57 AM
Dungy was a D coordinator, never an O coordinator. Why would Dungy be good at this anyway? The colts are having their best season without him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-14-2009, 12:32 PM

Ray Sherman. Remember him? Joe Walton. Remember him? Ron Earhardt. Remember him?

Kevin Gilbride...

BDESteel
12-14-2009, 01:49 PM
The Steelers like to promote from within, so we'd most likely see Kenny Anderson get the position.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
The Steelers like to promote from within, so we'd most likely see Kenny Anderson get the position.

I think that we like to promote from within when guys on our staff get promotions on other teams (such as when Capers got the head coaching gig in Carolina, we promoted our secondary coach LeBeau to D.C., when Haslett got the head coaching gig in New Orleans, we promoted our secondary coach Tim Lewis to D.C., when Mularkey got the head coaching gig in Buffalo, we promoted our TE coach Whisenhunt to O.C., etc.).

But when we are firing guys because the team is not performing up to par, I think it is time to look for some new blood from outside the organization instead of rewarding someone on our current staff.

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 02:09 PM

I think that we like to promote from within when guys on our staff get promotions on other teams (such as when Capers got the head coaching gig in Carolina, we promoted our secondary coach LeBeau to D.C., when Haslett got the head coaching gig in New Orleans, we promoted our secondary coach Tim Lewis to D.C., when Mularkey got the head coaching gig in Buffalo, we promoted our TE coach Whisenhunt to O.C., etc.).

But when we are firing guys because the team is not performing up to par, I think it is time to look for some new blood from outside the organization instead of rewarding someone on our current staff.

:Agree

BDESteel
12-14-2009, 03:04 PM

I think a proven guy with a name known for making a big difference in a short amount of time would be great. I just don't think it will happen. It's gonna be interesting to see what happens with Arians and how Tomlin will handle his first big coaching change decision.

Jigawatts
12-14-2009, 03:08 PM
norm chow?

That would be perfect. Then we could have people complain about him being hired
because of the Rooney Rule. :nono :nono :nono

steelblood
12-14-2009, 11:36 PM

I pride myself on not being an alarmist or complainer, but some of those OCs did suck.

Oviedo
12-15-2009, 09:17 AM

I pride myself on not being an alarmist or complainer, but some of those OCs did suck.

Point is that if the Steelers don't put up a minimum of 30 points a game the OC is an easy target for fans. This has gotten worse since the dawn of Fantasy Football and fans becoming stats obsessed whether they know what they really mean ot not.

The fact that Steelers fans have a genetic obsession with defense just makes it worse because the guy on the defensive side of the ball always gets a pass. If the defense underperforms how many times have we heard "the offense keeps putting them in a disavantageous position?" This is the first time I remember a defensive coord getting any scrutiny since Tim Lewis and he is the only one I ever remember getting criticized.