PDA

View Full Version : A. Smith

NorthCoast
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
Quite simply, we do not win (consistently) without Aaron Smith in the game. We have won with Troy out over the last few seasons but Smith out is the kiss of death.

Cribbs singlehandedly beat this team last night. It certainly wasn't Quinn (he never really tested our 'new' secondary).

You want ugly? wait til GB lights it up.

Steelgal
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I agree and he's on the wrong side of 30, unfortunately.

steelblood
12-11-2009, 02:01 PM
I disagree. We have not lost most of these games because of the run. Beyond Cribbs last night, we have stopped the run pretty well.

Steelgal
12-11-2009, 02:06 PM
I disagree. We have not lost most of these games because of the run. Beyond Cribbs last night, we have stopped the run pretty well.

He's not only a great run stopper, but gets better pressure on the quarterback too. We haven't gotton nearly as much pressure since he's been out with the front 3.

birtikidis
12-11-2009, 02:07 PM
Aaron Smith is the glue that hold our defense together. because he's not out there you have to adjust how every other player on the field plays. troy was out and smith was in earlier this year guess what, all W's. smith goes out and bam. remember 2006 Smith missed most of the year and wham. A good Two gap technique defensive end is as important to the 3-4 defense as a good nose tackle. 3 defensive lineman have to control the offensive line. that's what makes it difficult to find great players for the defense. our linebacker have to be able to be free to make plays. whether at the point of attack or in pursuit.

NorthCoast
12-12-2009, 09:45 AM

It's a domino effect. We stopped the run in earlier games by playing the secondary up and got torched by the long ball. Against the Browns we keep guys back and we get sliced and diced by the run.

BTW, the local radio said that DC Ryan studied the last Pitt-Cle game and he "saw some things" that made them realize the wildcat was going to work really well. If you remember, in the first game they gave up on it pretty quickly when they had Cribbs try to pass and was almost intercepted. They knew the perimeter runs were where the Steelers were very weak in defending. Timmons especially was caught inside a bunch of times in the second game.

kindlecatsb'ng
12-12-2009, 09:56 AM

BTW, the local radio said that DC Ryan studied the last Pitt-Cle game and he "saw some things" that made them realize the wildcat was going to work really well. If you remember, in the first game they gave up on it pretty quickly when they had Cribbs try to pass and was almost intercepted. They knew the perimeter runs were where the Steelers were very weak in defending. Timmons especially was caught inside a bunch of times in the second game.

IF other teams study film to look for weakness of their opponent and strategize to capitalize on it, who is studying film on our side and making adjustments to the game plan? Am feeling sad this weekend :cry: (am a woman and allowed this feeling) because the Steelers have talent on that team. It's mind boggling to me to see where they are at this point.

AND living in C-town is hard this weekend.

PS: Chadman--my faux pas on the chat about "smokin" gave us quite a laugh at work. It only took me 54 years to learn that term!!!! thanks for the educate.

Kindle