PDA

View Full Version : All the sacks

drprwnap
12-11-2009, 01:28 PM
First off-I'm no coach (although I play one on TV).
It is my understanding that there are certain plays you can call to slow down the other team's pass rush, correct??
Screen pass
Draw play
Do we even have those two plays in the playbook?????
Yes, some of the sacks were Ben's fault but he wasn't getting any help from BA with the idiotic palycalling.
Also, why is it that when we have 3 and 4 do we have to throw a 20 yd. pass????

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM
i love to see the dumps to the running backs out of the bacfield but mendy kind of ruined that last night...I still have tons of faith in him as I should, he will be a star....

NorthCoast
12-11-2009, 01:43 PM
The game planning was horrid again. The empty set is an invitation to sack Ben. We've seen it in 3 games now where defenses just overload/overwhelm the OL while Ben waits for our receivers to get clear.

The way Cleveland was playing us SCREAMED for RB screens and draws but we just are very poor at blocking them. The other thing that constantly irritates is the RB lining up 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage (in fact they were so far back that a number of times they were not on the screen).j

drprwnap
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM
The other thing that constantly irritates is the RB lining up 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage (in fact they were so far back that a number of times they were not on the screen).j

I noticed that also. I was screaming at the TV when I thought it was an empty backfield but the camera panned out a bit and I saw the top of the RB helmet (didn't know who it was)

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:47 PM
The other thing that constantly irritates is the RB lining up 10 yds behind the line of scrimmage (in fact they were so far back that a number of times they were not on the screen).j

I noticed that also. I was screaming at the TV when I thought it was an empty backfield but the camera panned out a bit and I saw the top of the RB helmet (didn't know who it was)

i thought you had prime rib and watched a play.....

RuthlessBurgher
12-13-2009, 02:49 AM

i thought you had prime rib and watched a play.....

No, that was djfan, not drprwnap.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-13-2009, 03:43 AM
I wish I'd had prime rib and watched a play instead of wasting an evening watching the Stains thrash the Steelers.

AngryAsian
12-13-2009, 08:46 AM
It is my understanding that there are certain plays you can call to slow down the other team's pass rush, correct??
Screen pass
Draw play
Yes, some of the sacks were Ben's fault but he wasn't getting any help from BA with the idiotic palycalling.

This is the main contention of most of the BA detractors.... predictability and lack of in-game adjustments. There is never anything that would counteract what a defensive scheme is willing to give us. We will continue to try and impose our will on offense regardless of anything what type of defense we're facing at the time. Thursday night looked bush league because we were so predictable. How can we give up a season high 8 sacks to the stains is beyond me. Execution was horrid, yes... but the players were put in that position because of the putrid schemes they were trying to run. JMHO

feltdizz
12-13-2009, 02:56 PM
I defended Arians when we were blowing 4th quarter leads but this last game was horrible. It was the Iggles game all over again..

Why the hell were we passing on 3rd and 1? I have never been a fan of the pass happy, Andy Reid style of football. You need way too much rhythm and a hot hand to sustain drives all day. Run the ball.. run the ball, run the ball...

and not with Willie Freaking Parker...

Get a real FB and go back to what made Ben the best in the league... there is nothing wrong with throwing 24 passes and winning the game with 1TD and 185 yards..

I HATE seeing Ben with 400 yards and a loss.. sorry FF fans but we need our game manager, most wins in 5 seasons QB back.

winwithd
12-13-2009, 03:14 PM
I've heard announcers say Ben is so comfortable with this offense and that he knows so much of it he can use most of it in the no-huddle. By the way, I only saw the fourth quarter against Cleveland and then only parts because I was trying to watch online beside other distractions here at home, but did we go no-huddle at all against the Stains. I remember earlier this year when that was unstoppable. Lately not so much. Now with talk of some new coaches next year and Arians possibly one of them, will a new OC and system set Ben back at all. Wouldn't the offense need to learn a bunch of new stuff?

I agree with the Andy Reid comment. I am not a fan of that style. And he, like Arians, is too stubborn to admit he needs to do anything different, even when the whole league can see it. Neither of them has a clue about situational play-calling or how to use your strengths. Both of those guys struggle in the red zone. Living in Eastern Pa I see and hear a lot of Eagles stuff. Most of their offense depends on breaking the big play. They don't have a clue in the red zone. I told a co-worker on Friday who is an Eagles fan that if Arians was Reid's OC they would throw the ball 90% of the time.

winwithd
12-13-2009, 03:33 PM
By the way, I think the most bone-headed thing about Arians this year was his refusal to let Dixon run against Baltimore. Totally assinine. When you talk about playing to your strengths, Dixon's ability to run is HUGE. To say Dixon would snap like a twig was retarded. What does that say to Dixon? You are a wuss, a pansy, a fragile little girl? What happened to Steeler football?

Did anyone catch Chris Carter's comments on NFL Network when they were talking about what went wrong with the Steelers? He basically said that the Bungals punched the Steelers in the mouth so hard when they played them the second time that they in effect took all the fight out of them. That they last all their confidence. I understand that losing to Cincy twice in a year is shameful, but come on. I don't understand why Arians would not run the ball more. To me it almost seemed like he thought, 'I made Ben into this great passer and we are going to put up big passing numbers. To hell with doing what it takes to win this game, I am going to show that we can throw against anyone.' Back in 2005 when we beat them on the way to SB XL the mentally, I thought, was 'We are tougher than you' and we proved it.

DukieBoy
12-13-2009, 05:57 PM
Screen pass
Draw play

This is the main contention of most of the BA detractors.... predictability and lack of in-game adjustments. There is never anything that would counteract what a defensive scheme is willing to give us. We will continue to try and impose our will on offense regardless of anything what type of defense we're facing at the time. Thursday night looked bush league because we were so predictable. How can we give up a season high 8 sacks to the stains is beyond me. Execution was horrid, yes... but the players were put in that position because of the putrid schemes they were trying to run. JMHO

We are missing diversity and adaptabillty in our offense. Businesses that fail to adapt to changes or diversify die off. So did dinosaurs, and Detroit (and they almost beat us).