PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Can Still Make the Playoffs....

BradshawsHairdresser
12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
I figured somebody would post this, so I beat them to it.

While not mathematically eliminated, any sane fan understands you can stick a fork in this year's version of the Black and Gold.

So, let me amend the title of this thread:
The Steelers Can Still Make the Playoffs NEXT Season!

Here's how.

First, dump Air-head Arians, Dullard LeBeau, and Leaky Ligashevsky.

Next, hire some hungry, innovative assistants who actually understand how to make adjustments based upon the personnel you can field and the situations the game dictates.

James Farrior is shown the door. Timmons can take his place, with Fox moving in for Timmons. Priority ought to be given to finding an up and coming ILB in the draft. It would be nice if we could find someone to push Woodley, but there are probably too many other needs to address that this offseason.

Gay is moved to nickle back. Clark is allowed to walk, Deshea is retired, and Carter is cut. Then, hopefully, we find a couple of DBs that can cover and maybe catch the ball once in awhile. Burnett and Lewis need to actually be given a chance. It would be great to pick up a shut-down corner, but I don't know if there will be any Darrell Revis's showing up when we draft. I wish we had a better #1 CB than Taylor. Maybe this is a place to make a big move in FA.

We have to get younger on the DL. We can no longer rely on Aaron Smith. Thank goodness we re-signed Keisel before the season. Fat Casey is likely departing, and it will be a serious challenge to replace him.

Looks like defense will be the focus of the changes, although I wish we could do more to address our OL. We need to be thinking about replacing Hartwig, and this could be a place for an upgrade. Colon is overrated; he should be let go if he demands big $. But then, we have a tackle to replace. Willie Parker is likely gone.

Tomlin should insist that Ben work all summer with a QB coach who can help him with his decision-making. Since there wasn't improvement in that area this season, maybe a new QB coach would be in order.

Spaeth should be gone. Find a second tight end who can block if you're going to run this offense.

Jeff Reed should be gone, too.

We need to find a couple of ST demons somewhere.

Just a few things for my Christmas wish list. :D

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
That's a lot of turnover, while most of it warranted.

An entire team makeover like that usually doesn't bode well in the short term. But I agree, looking further down the road, this all needs to happen!

Steelhere10
12-11-2009, 01:13 PM
I figured somebody would post this, so I beat them to it.

While not mathematically eliminated, any sane fan understands you can stick a fork in this year's version of the Black and Gold.

So, let me amend the title of this thread:
The Steelers Can Still Make the Playoffs NEXT Season!

Here's how.

First, dump Air-head Arians, Dullard LeBeau, and Leaky Ligashevsky.

Next, hire some hungry, innovative assistants who actually understand how to make adjustments based upon the personnel you can field and the situations the game dictates.

James Farrior is shown the door. Timmons can take his place, with Fox moving in for Timmons. Priority ought to be given to finding an up and coming ILB in the draft. It would be nice if we could find someone to push Woodley, but there are probably too many other needs to address that this offseason.

Gay is moved to nickle back. Clark is allowed to walk, Deshea is retired, and Carter is cut. Then, hopefully, we find a couple of DBs that can cover and maybe catch the ball once in awhile. Burnett and Lewis need to actually be given a chance. It would be great to pick up a shut-down corner, but I don't know if there will be any Darrell Revis's showing up when we draft. I wish we had a better #1 CB than Taylor. Maybe this is a place to make a big move in FA.

We have to get younger on the DL. We can no longer rely on Aaron Smith. Thank goodness we re-signed Keisel before the season. Fat Casey is likely departing, and it will be a serious challenge to replace him.

Looks like defense will be the focus of the changes, although I wish we could do more to address our OL. We need to be thinking about replacing Hartwig, and this could be a place for an upgrade. Colon is overrated; he should be let go if he demands big $. But then, we have a tackle to replace. Willie Parker is likely gone.

Tomlin should insist that Ben work all summer with a QB coach who can help him with his decision-making. Since there wasn't improvement in that area this season, maybe a new QB coach would be in order.

Spaeth should be gone. Find a second tight end who can block if you're going to run this offense.

Jeff Reed should be gone, too.

We need to find a couple of ST demons somewhere.

Just a few things for my Christmas wish list. :DLook like Woodly is the only defender that has showed upi the last month.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:17 PM
i agree with alot...

we have the " nothing to be ashamed of " goodbye list
-farrior, townsend, hampton (to a degree)

the thanks for your time but we will move on without you list
-clark, kirscke, eason

the I still cant believe your on the team, make a splash somewhere else list
-spaeth

the something is burning list which is being lit under certain players arses
-timmons, ike

wipeout the entire coaching staff with the excpetion of perhaps Lebeau (he has earned another shot)

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:18 PM
i agree with alot...

-clark, kirscke, eason

-spaeth, Tcarter!

-timmons, ike

wipeout the entire coaching staff with the excpetion of perhaps Lebeau (he has earned another shot)

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 01:20 PM
I think Cutting Farrior would be a huge cap hit.

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:22 PM

Eff it...I'll pitch in $5 or $10 to help cover the cost of the cap hit.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:38 PM
i agree with alot...

-clark, kirscke, eason

-spaeth, Tcarter!

-timmons, ike

i cant believe i forgot t carter...how could I, he plays so well and he dances so nice after he makes a play once a game....how bout when he was barking at vickers after he had a 5 yard run, i was like, my goodness we cant stop anyone but we can talk...

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Yeah...I was waiting for a flag on him on that play. He just screams 15 yd penalty anytime his hands are waving after a play. :loser

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:50 PM
he is a definite loser and if our coaches cannot coach tackling, catching and covering, than could they at least do something about the taunting that goes on, I know it works both ways, but we flirt with unsportsmanlike taunting penalties with every incomplete pass....

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:53 PM
so the playoff scenerio...hahahaha just for fun
we win out
the broncos/jags need to lose 3 of 4
the jets rats and phins need to lost 2 of 4
the titans need to lose 1......

it can happen. :Blah :Blah :Blah
who wants to see the steelers in the super bowl

flippy
12-11-2009, 03:38 PM
we win out

if this happens it will be the biggest miracle ever.

we'll probably win our final 3 since we're playing good teams though.

SteelAbility
12-11-2009, 03:42 PM
i agree with alot...

-clark, kirscke, eason

-spaeth, Tcarter!

-timmons, ike

i cant believe i forgot t carter...how could I, he plays so well and he dances so nice after he makes a play once a game....how bout when he was barking at vickers after he had a 5 yard run, i was like, my goodness we cant stop anyone but we can talk...

Carter was also responsible for that holding call late in the 2ndQ, you know, the one where we recovered a fumble, had to punt again and the Browns scored on the subsequent drive. Why did Carter hold? He was unwilling to move his feet to get into good blocking position. Laziness, pure and simple.

SteelAbility
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
we win out

if this happens it will be the biggest miracle ever.

we'll probably win our final 3 since we're playing good teams though.

Just like the 06 season. Margin of error at d*mn near zero. Need 7 to 8 other results to go our way. Oddly enough, in 06 a whole bunch of games did go our way and we fell short of getting in by 1 win. If we had won the OAK game, we would have been in the playoffs.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 03:44 PM
your right steel....he would rather save that energy to trash talk and pound his chest after a tackle....

but like my dad always says, "act like you made a tackle before, stop with the showboating"....well the steelers dont really tackle anymore so i guess i know why we do showboat when we do tackle.

NWNewell
12-11-2009, 03:49 PM
I disagree with Woodley needing pushed. He started out slow (production wise) but the numbers have improved as the hear has gone on. Overall, he's had a solid year, which is more than I can say for 2 of our other LB's.

I'm worried about releasing Farrior because who is our back up then? Timmons worries me a little. He's got all the talent in the world, but gets lost out there. Hopefully he can make improvements by next year. We should keep Farrior and have Farrior, Timmons, Fox, and new blood compete for the 2 ILBer's on even ground... no incumbents (unless we pick up a proven veteran ILBer from somewhere).

If Tomlin wants changes and wants to make this "his team" then this season is all the ammo he needs.... assuming the Rooney's are still on board with Tomlin after this season.

_SteeL_CurtaiN_
12-11-2009, 04:23 PM
The only thing I disagree with is firing LeBeau the rest can happen and I would be fine with it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 04:04 AM

The cap hit for cutting Farrior after this season would be $3 million (he got a $5 million signing bonus on a 5 year contract, and there are 3 years left on the deal after this season). His base salary for each of the next three seasons is a hair under $3 million ($2.825 million to be exact). If they kept him for one more year and cut him after the 2010 season, then the dead money cap hit would be $2 million. If they kept him for two more years and cut him after the 2011 season, then the dead money cap hit would be $1 million.

papillon
12-12-2009, 07:46 AM
we win out

Steelers win out
Broncos/Jags need to lose 3 of 4
The Jets need to lose 2 of 4
The Ravens and Dolphins need to lose 1 (by winning out we give them one of their 2 losses)
The Titans need to lose 1

Just sayin... :P

Pappy

Steeler Shades
12-12-2009, 09:38 AM
Unbelievable. 8)

brothervad
12-12-2009, 02:19 PM
Boy that would suck if the Steelers win out and fall short by 1 win.

Cleveland
KC
Oakland

that just would be the cherry on the top of a miserable year.

brothervad

Shoe
12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
we win out

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA