PDA

View Full Version : Willie Colon

steelerkeylargo
12-11-2009, 12:10 PM
looked as bad as I have ever seen him last night. Consistently beat in every phase of the game last night!!!

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 12:12 PM
i think you can pretty much sum up the o-line play in general with the same words. hartwig as well had a terrible game

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 12:23 PM
looked as bad as I have ever seen him last night. Consistently beat in every phase of the game last night!!!

Yeah, he was absolutely horrid last night. Makes you wonder if they will shell out the bucks for him this off season or not.

steelblood
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM
i think you can pretty much sum up the o-line play in general with the same words. hartwig as well had a terrible game

Hartwig and Colon had poor games. But, sometimes we needed to get the ball out quickly and test that man coverage. Back shoulder throws, purposefully throwing short, and simply throwing when the corner turns his back will result in pass int calls (in the least).

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-11-2009, 12:29 PM
Hey, give the big guy a break, he didn't have one of his usually two or three guaranteed false starts yesterday! :stirpot

Seriously though, what goes into completely untouched defenders sacking the QB on multiple occasions?

The replays showed that at least two or three times, the guy that winds up sacking Ben started the play on the line, uncovered plain as day - and nobody on the line adjusted their assignments to pick them up ... it was like they were invisible to the O-line players on the field, but not to the TV camera.

How the F**!k does that happen?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Colon is overrated. If the Steelers shell out big bucks for him, I'll puke.

Steelhere10
12-11-2009, 01:11 PM
Colon is overrated. If the Steelers shell out big bucks for him, I'll puke.I agree , and notice all the Dline stunts was coming 85% of the time on Colon side.

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:24 PM

Visions of Mahan danced in my head. :HeadBanger

NorthCoast
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
Jimmy Johnson said on Mike & Mike this morning that Browns actually PREPARED for this game but the Steelers looked like they copied last Sunday's game plan. Ryan had installed new blitz packages and our OL had no answers to them.

drprwnap
12-11-2009, 01:30 PM
Hey, give the big guy a break, he didn't have one of his usually two or three guaranteed false starts yesterday! :stirpot

Seriously though, what goes into completely untouched defenders sacking the QB on multiple occasions?

The replays showed that at least two or three times, the guy that winds up sacking Ben started the play on the line, uncovered plain as day - and nobody on the line adjusted their assignments to pick them up ... it was like they were invisible to the O-line players on the field, but not to the TV camera.

Coaching, my friend. Or shoud I say lack thereof?

Mister Pittsburgh
12-11-2009, 01:56 PM
i saw one play where we had an empty backfield, and a CB lined up to Starks left, obviously blitzing, and Starks blocks down on the inside to let the CB run free right to Ben. It was the play Poteat sacked Ben.

BURGH86STEEL
12-11-2009, 02:16 PM

There were times the Browns had a lot of guys up near the line. There were times the Browns succeeded at confusing the blocking schemes. There were times the Steelers Olinemen got beat.

Knowing defensive schemes and where the blitz was coming from is something that can be learned through film study.

A lot of the pass protection calls are made at the list minute. Who is at fault for calling the blocking schemes? Was it Ben or was it Hartwig?

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 04:47 PM

Hartwig and Colon had poor games. But, sometimes we needed to get the ball out quickly and test that man coverage. Back shoulder throws, purposefully throwing short, and simply throwing when the corner turns his back will result in pass int calls (in the least).

what you mean make in game adjustments based on how the defense is playing the steeler offense? no way thats not how BA rolls

buckeyehoppy
12-11-2009, 06:42 PM

It happened at least twice as plain as day. That's completely unacceptable when it happens more than once.

I'd hate to think that would be the problem of the OL. But when the scheme obviously doesn't pick up everybody, you'd think it would get the play off in a second or two and not do what it usually does by requiring 7 or 8 seconds to develop. That's a recipe for getting your QB's @$$ kicked.

Of course, most of the irony of the great relationship between BA and Benjamin lies in the fact that a large percentage of BA's offense is designed to get his QB's @$$ kicked anyway. It's no wonder BA deserves to be thrown under the bus.

birtikidis
12-11-2009, 07:25 PM
i saw one play where we had an empty backfield, and a CB lined up to Starks left, obviously blitzing, and Starks blocks down on the inside to let the CB run free right to Ben. It was the play Poteat sacked Ben.
I pin that on ben. he should have made a hot read and thrown it right where poteat was blitzing from with a quick slant. 99% of all qb's in the league make that read...

Mister Pittsburgh
12-11-2009, 08:00 PM
I pin that on ben. he should have made a hot read and thrown it right where poteat was blitzing from with a quick slant. 99% of all qb's in the league make that read...

true, good call. I also saw Ben take a sack when Hines was freaking wide open. Pretty much the same play he threw to end the game where the LB dropped and knocked it down. Earlier in the game the LB didn't drop but Ben didn't throw it and took the sack. Not kidding, not a defender within 10 yds of Hines.

Shoe
12-11-2009, 09:01 PM
I pin the majority of the blame on not getting the ball out on time, whether because of the WR, the QB, or the playcalling.

I can't imagine that the playcalling didn't lots of hot (i.e. shorter) routes, especially after what they saw Ryan doing.

I also have a hard time thinking CLE's cover guys can stick to our WR's...

A lot would go on BEN IMO. He held the ball long as normal, but made nothing out of it.