PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Ben?

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Is it the lawsuit? Is it the repeated head trauma? He just hasn't been the same player most of this year. Remember when he would get the ball late in the game and you just knew he would drive it down the field to tie or win the game? Where has that been this year? I hope that Ben comes back next year, because that is the guy we need. He has been in a funk just like everyone else when it has counted this year. Yeah, his oline and receivers have let him down at times, but he just hasn't looked the same for most of this year. This actually worries me more than some of our other problems.

JAR
12-11-2009, 11:46 AM
Do you Ben bashers watch the same games the rest of us do? My gawd.......

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm not bashing Ben. I like him as our qb. But you can't tell me that he hasn't looked a little off in a lot of games this year. I'm not putting our losses on him either. He put us up in games that our D let us down. But he hasn't looked the same to me. Just my opinion. Not bashing.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 11:49 AM
ben is the least of my worries. imo ben has had a good year. he is better this season than last. every qb needs good o-line play and wr's and te's to hold onto the ball and get open. when neither of those two things happen ben wont play all that well, neither will any good qb.

JAR
12-11-2009, 11:56 AM
I'm not bashing Ben. I like him as our qb. But you can't tell me that he hasn't looked a little off in a lot of games this year. I'm not putting our losses on him either. He put us up in games that our D let us down. But he hasn't looked the same to me. Just my opinion. Not bashing.

12 below zero with high winds and the game plan has 32 passes and 19 runs, yeah, Ben's fault.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 12:02 PM
I dont know, Ben has a 100.7 QB rating ( i know you cant go just by stats) and he has some real good games, sure he has had a few bad games but I dont think we should worry about him....I think he will be back and better than ever next year, I hope he is at least, we had 5 drops last night, a few which were big ones that were potential first downs....

NWNewell
12-11-2009, 12:07 PM
Ben had a bad game today.... I can't defend it.

Part of the results are to blame on the O-line, the receivers, and yes maybe even the wind. But he played just as poorly as everyone else. A lot of the sacks were his fault for not getting ride if the ball (but a lot where the lines fault too). He made some bad decisions and passes.

But for the most part this season, he has been pretty solid.

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

12 below zero with high winds and the game plan has 32 passes and 19 runs, yeah, Ben's fault.

I never said that this loss is his fault. I'm just saying that he has looked "off" a lot this year. That's it. I guess I could understand why given everything he has been going through. It's not like he is off limits as far as blame goes, so lighten up.

steelblood
12-11-2009, 12:33 PM
Is it the lawsuit? Is it the repeated head trauma? He just hasn't been the same player most of this year. Remember when he would get the ball late in the game and you just knew he would drive it down the field to tie or win the game? Where has that been this year? I hope that Ben comes back next year, because that is the guy we need. He has been in a funk just like everyone else when it has counted this year. Yeah, his oline and receivers have let him down at times, but he just hasn't looked the same for most of this year. This actually worries me more than some of our other problems.

He drove the team down the field to take the lead twice in the fouth Q last week. I think he needs to improve, but to say that he hasn't been clutch this year isn't right. The problem is more that our D hasn't been clutch.

Jom112
12-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Remember when he would get the ball late in the game and you just knew he would drive it down the field to tie or win the game?

You can't keep relying on that. It's great when it happens but no QB should be expected to keep bringing their team back at the last minute, game after game and season after season.

A more consistent running attack would help your team win games like the one last night...

SteelAbility
12-11-2009, 12:46 PM
There was only one play last night where I felt Ben's decision making was poor. It was on our final drive on 1st and 10 where no one was open for a long time. He needed to just throw the ball high and out of bounds. Instead a sack and it's 2nd and 19. If not for that poor judgment, the drive at least keeps going. But howling winds and sub-Zero are hard on any QB.

I believe a season-long debacle of dropped passes and poor D have ratcheted up the pressure on Ben. When the D can consistently hold, it takes a lot of pressure off the QB, allows him to relax, think straight and make good decisions and plays. Likewise with the pass-catching. It's as if Ben is feeling like he has to make perfect passes so guys won't drop it. Then he gets into aiming the ball instead of delivering it with confidence which eventually translates into in-stride passes. Aiming it, like basketball, eventually leads to "missed shots" instead of stroking it, which eventually leads to lots of made shots.

proudpittsburgher
12-11-2009, 12:50 PM
Ben had a bad game today.... I can't defend it.

Part of the results are to blame on the O-line, the receivers, and yes maybe even the wind. But he played just as poorly as everyone else. A lot of the sacks were his fault for not getting ride if the ball (but a lot where the lines fault too). He made some bad decisions and passes.

But for the most part this season, he has been pretty solid.

NFL network did a pretty good job of showing the coverage downfield on most of the sacks, and there just wasn't anyone open, so saying Ben held on to it too long, last night anyway, isn;t fair. Hines, I understand, it's tough to break free with a bum hammy, but either the coverage was really, really goo dlast night, or we have some pretty lazy route runners. The only thing Ben could have donw was throw the ball away, and at least three or four of those sacks were on third down, his only chouce is tryign to extend the play.

feltdizz
12-11-2009, 12:51 PM
The problem with Ben and the offense is obvious this year. We kept playing like the D would bail us out like last year....

beyond that this team quit. They won a SB last year and decided they didn't want the grind of the playoffs again this year. I feel bad for those who cared on this team though and played hard. Can't really say I know who those players are though...

isonator07
12-11-2009, 12:54 PM

He drove the team down the field to take the lead twice in the fouth Q last week. I think he needs to improve, but to say that he hasn't been clutch this year isn't right. The problem is more that our D hasn't been clutch.

How about if he drives us downfield for a lead in the 2nd quarter? I'm sick of low level teams hanging around and us needing a late drive. Play every drive like its the last drive and maybe we put teams away early.

As for Bens play, I agree he hasn't been himself this season. Look Dennis Dixon went into Baltimore in his first start and took us to OT to lose by a FG. With Ben we lose to Clev Oak and KC.

I agree 100% Arians is a tool. I wouldn't let him call plays for me in a game of Madden vs. a 10 yr old blind kid. But Ben needs to step up his urgency for 60 minutes. I remember in the mid 90's Kevin Greene and Co. always talking about bringing it for 60 minutes. I'd like to see that outta Ben instead of the theory of bringing it for the last 6 minutes of the game. The intensity like he had in Denver a couple years ago in the playoffs. The game he fired the pistols after a TD pass. I want that Ben back under center for 16 reg season games all through the playoffs. Maybe thats asking too much.

Scarletfire1970
12-11-2009, 01:33 PM

How about if he drives us downfield for a lead in the 2nd quarter? I'm sick of low level teams hanging around and us needing a late drive. Play every drive like its the last drive and maybe we put teams away early.

As for Bens play, I agree he hasn't been himself this season. Look Dennis Dixon went into Baltimore in his first start and took us to OT to lose by a FG. With Ben we lose to Clev Oak and KC.

I agree 100% Arians is a tool. I wouldn't let him call plays for me in a game of Madden vs. a 10 yr old blind kid. But Ben needs to step up his urgency for 60 minutes. I remember in the mid 90's Kevin Greene and Co. always talking about bringing it for 60 minutes. I'd like to see that outta Ben instead of the theory of bringing it for the last 6 minutes of the game. The intensity like he had in Denver a couple years ago in the playoffs. The game he fired the pistols after a TD pass. I want that Ben back under center for 16 reg season games all through the playoffs. Maybe thats asking too much.
Baltimore sucks. Just like us. Stop talking about Baltimore like they are an elite team or even a good team. Their defense is as bad as ours this year. Well almost.

And Dixon was pretty bad in that game.

proudpittsburgher
12-11-2009, 01:58 PM
I remember in the mid 90's Kevin Greene and Co. always talking about bringing it for 60 minutes. I'd like to see that outta Ben instead of the theory of bringing it for the last 6 minutes of the game.

Yea, because the Steelers of the mid 90's dominated every game from start to finish, like you are asking this team to do. :wft Remember the 94 AFCC game?

Steelgal
12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
Ben needs an OC/quarterback's coach that will push him and not be his 'friend'. He needs someone who will tell him when he's stinkin' it up and how to correct it. He needs someone who will get him in the film room and tell him when he's trying to do too much. He may not always like it, but in the long run hopefully it will prolong his career and keep him off the ground.

msp26505
12-11-2009, 02:17 PM
Ben needs an OC/quarterback's coach that will push him and not be his 'friend'. He needs someone who will tell him when he's stinkin' it up and how to correct it. He needs someone who will get him in the film room and tell him when he's trying to do too much. He may not always like it, but in the long run hopefully it will prolong his career and keep him off the ground.

I got tired of hearing Ben defend Arians. The announcers during a couple of games this season made reference to the fact the Ben liked the play calling and was thinking the same thing as Arians most of the time, which to me says one of two things.

Either:

Ben is trying to protect Arians (ridiculous that player should do this, but not out of the questions, I guess).

OR

Ben needs a coach who approaches the job more like a parent (a good one) than a buddy, and gets on Ben's case when he makes bad decisions or takes unnecessary sacks.

Ben needs to be told to get rid of the ball more quickly and more often...to take the smaller, safer gain rather than swinging for the fences constantly. While I sometimes love the gunslinger mentality, it needs to be the exception, NOT the rule. Not only does this behavior often hurt the team, but it will probably also lead to Ben's career being shortened.

isonator07
12-11-2009, 06:33 PM
I remember in the mid 90's Kevin Greene and Co. always talking about bringing it for 60 minutes. I'd like to see that outta Ben instead of the theory of bringing it for the last 6 minutes of the game.

Yea, because the Steelers of the mid 90's dominated every game from start to finish, like you are asking this team to do. :wft Remember the 94 AFCC game?

Who said anything about domintating? I just want Ben and the team to play every play with heart,intsead of the final 5 minutes. Kinda like the 1-11 Browns did last night. As for Baltimore being elite I also never said they were elite. But I do however think we can all agree they are a giant notch above KC, Clev, and Oak.

DukieBoy
12-11-2009, 08:10 PM

I got tired of hearing Ben defend Arians. The announcers during a couple of games this season made reference to the fact the Ben liked the play calling and was thinking the same thing as Arians most of the time, which to me says one of two things.

Either:

Ben is trying to protect Arians (ridiculous that player should do this, but not out of the questions, I guess).

OR

Ben needs a coach who approaches the job more like a parent (a good one) than a buddy, and gets on Ben's case when he makes bad decisions or takes unnecessary sacks.

Ben needs to be told to get rid of the ball more quickly and more often...to take the smaller, safer gain rather than swinging for the fences constantly. While I sometimes love the gunslinger mentality, it needs to be the exception, NOT the rule. Not only does this behavior often hurt the team, but it will probably also lead to Ben's career being shortened.

Maybe arians has not authority ove Ben, and Ben likes it that way.

Crash
12-11-2009, 11:20 PM
How about if he drives us downfield for a lead in the 2nd quarter?

Against the Raiders? He did.

The defense gave three right back.

Ben's offense scored 4 times against the Raiders. EVERY TIME, the defense gave points right back.

papillon
12-12-2009, 01:46 AM
This entire season has been a conundrum:

Heath Miller has dropped at least 5 passes this year that hit him squarely in the hands.

Santonio is having a good year statistically, but, there have been games (last night for one) where he can't get open and when his route is complete he simply ambled about.

Mendenhall wasn't practicing hard, he gets benched, but is back the following week. Limas Sweed, practices hard, but, makes a some key drops and he becomes the invisible man.

Hines Ward's criticism of Ben forced him (Ward) to play last night at something less than 100%. At his age, his less than 100% isn't better than a healthy receiver.

The defense is handed leads in the 4th quarter 4 times and fail to hold the lead each time. In those games, the offense was playing well, but couldn't back on the field, because, the opposing team moved the ball methodically down the field and chewed the clock against the defense.

The cornerbacks do not have an interception this year. How?

This team has been wandering aimlessly about for most of the season. They have been unable to establish any type of identity offensively and defensively.

In closing, something is amiss with this team that we, as fans, will never hear about, but I suspect there has been some type of internal strife that never made it to the light of day. Too many individual efforts and not enough team effort. In football that is a costly position to take.

Hopefully, they can get it together and show they have some backbone and play three good games to end the season regardless of if they win or lose them, just show some character and head into the off season on a good note.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 02:20 AM

In the K.C. and Oakland games, Ben completed 75% of his passes (K.C.: 32-42 76.2% 398 yards 9.5 YPA 3 TD 2 INT & Oak: 18-24 75.0% 278 yards 11.6 YPA 2 TD 1 INT). He was nowhere near the reason why we lost those games (although people blame the INT's in K.C., the only was perfectly thrown to Heath and dropped, and the other was intercepted because Ben was hit as he threw, causing the ball to come out of his hand like a mallard that had recently passed away).

I think the only game that we lost because Ben did not show up was the second Cincy game (20-40 50.0% 174 yards 4.3 YPA 0 TD 1 INT). He wasn't great against Minnesota either (14-26 53.8% 175 yards 6.7 YPA 1 TD 0 INT) but he didn't make any critical mistakes and the defense was able to come through late for once.

I don't put this last game on Ben, even though the performance was sub-par by his standards (18-32 56.3% 201 yards 6.3 YPA 0 TD 0 INT). It was stupid to pass the ball 32 times and give it to your running backs only 19 times in that cold and wind. The Cleveland plan of running the ball 37 times and passing it only 19 times was the winning formula on a night like this. It is not like we were down by 28 points and needed to get pass happy in order to get back in the game. The game was within striking distance all night long, but for whatever reason, we refused to run and forced passes in elements not conducive to that (like the Mularkey's offensive gameplan in the 6-0 loss to the Jets in a Meadowlands blizzard that we were all worried about prior to this game).

NWNewell
12-13-2009, 10:04 AM

Heath Miller has dropped at least 5 passes this year that hit him squarely in the hands.

Santonio is having a good year statistically, but, there have been games (last night for one) where he can't get open and when his route is complete he simply ambled about.

Mendenhall wasn't practicing hard, he gets benched, but is back the following week. Limas Sweed, practices hard, but, makes a some key drops and he becomes the invisible man.

Hines Ward's criticism of Ben forced him (Ward) to play last night at something less than 100%. At his age, his less than 100% isn't better than a healthy receiver.

The defense is handed leads in the 4th quarter 4 times and fail to hold the lead each time. In those games, the offense was playing well, but couldn't back on the field, because, the opposing team moved the ball methodically down the field and chewed the clock against the defense.

This team has been wandering aimlessly about for most of the season. They have been unable to establish any type of identity offensively and defensively.

In closing, something is amiss with this team that we, as fans, will never hear about, but I suspect there has been some type of internal strife that never made it to the light of day. Too many individual efforts and not enough team effort. In football that is a costly position to take.

Hopefully, they can get it together and show they have some backbone and play three good games to end the season regardless of if they win or lose them, just show some character and head into the off season on a good note.

Pappy

I think you are are probably right and I think one of Troy's comments maybe should have tipped the hand:

"I don't think any one player can fix what this team is going through".

Meaning what this team is going through internally/interpersonally.

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 11:27 AM

Pappy

I think you are are probably right and I think one of Troy's comments maybe should have tipped the hand:

Troy's statement is pretty wide open. It can be interpreted many ways.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-13-2009, 12:26 PM
How about if he drives us downfield for a lead in the 2nd quarter?

Against the Raiders? He did.

The defense gave three right back.

Ben's offense scored 4 times against the Raiders. EVERY TIME, the defense gave points right back.

Our offense mustered 10 points against one of the worst D's in the league over 3 1/2 quarters. Think our D could have had a different approach if we had a big lead in the 2nd quarter? Maybe pin our ears back and crush Gradkowski like our D is built to do, rush the passer? How about putting up a lead to dictate the ballgame rather than the whole 4th quarter comeback against a crap team deal?

feltdizz
12-13-2009, 02:42 PM
In the K.C. and Oakland games, Ben completed 75% of his passes (K.C.: 32-42 76.2% 398 yards 9.5 YPA 3 TD 2 INT & Oak: 18-24 75.0% 278 yards 11.6 YPA 2 TD 1 INT). He was nowhere near the reason why we lost those games (although people blame the INT's in K.C., the only was perfectly thrown to Heath and dropped, and the other was intercepted because Ben was hit as he threw, causing the ball to come out of his hand like a mallard that had recently passed away).

I think the only game that we lost because Ben did not show up was the second Cincy game (20-40 50.0% 174 yards 4.3 YPA 0 TD 1 INT). He wasn't great against Minnesota either (14-26 53.8% 175 yards 6.7 YPA 1 TD 0 INT) but he didn't make any critical mistakes and the defense was able to come through late for once.

I don't put this last game on Ben, even though the performance was sub-par by his standards (18-32 56.3% 201 yards 6.3 YPA 0 TD 0 INT). It was stupid to pass the ball 32 times and give it to your running backs only 19 times in that cold and wind. The Cleveland plan of running the ball 37 times and passing it only 19 times was the winning formula on a night like this. It is not like we were down by 28 points and needed to get pass happy in order to get back in the game. The game was within striking distance all night long, but for whatever reason, we refused to run and forced passes in elements not conducive to that (like the Mularkey's offensive gameplan in the 6-0 loss to the Jets in a Meadowlands blizzard that we were all worried about prior to this game).

It's Ben's responsibility to get rid of the ball when he breaks the pocket..
When he completes these types of passes he is a hero... but when he doesn't he gets a pass. When is Ben responsible for anything? Motorcycle, sex case, most sacks damn near every year and he even blames himself for many....

Ben is a good QB who had a ton of success early but it's time for him/us to treat him like a person... he makes mistakes. He can get better..

NWNewell
12-13-2009, 02:45 PM

Pappy

Troy's statement is pretty wide open. It can be interpreted many ways.

Very true.... I'm just saying that in light of what's happening I tend to interperate it a certain way.

One interpretation is correct.... I don't know if it's mine... just my :2c

stlrz d
12-13-2009, 03:58 PM
Troy, does the team miss you?

Troy's answer.

Troy, does the team miss Aaron Smith?

Troy's answer.

Troy, if Ben's play is more consistent do you think the team would be playing better?

Troy's answer.

Troy, do you think putting in (insert player) for (insert player) would help on defense?

Troy's answer.

Etc....

Don't read too much into it. He could have been asked anything and given that response.

;)

NJ-STEELER
12-13-2009, 05:40 PM

It's Ben's responsibility to get rid of the ball when he breaks the pocket..
When he completes these types of passes he is a hero... but when he doesn't he gets a pass. When is Ben responsible for anything? Motorcycle, sex case, most sacks damn near every year and he even blames himself for many....

Ben is a good QB who had a ton of success early but it's time for him/us to treat him like a person... he makes mistakes. He can get better..

but, he didn't leave the pocket on that play.

NWNewell
12-14-2009, 09:11 AM
Troy, does the team miss you?

Troy's answer.

Troy, does the team miss Aaron Smith?

Troy's answer.

Troy, if Ben's play is more consistent do you think the team would be playing better?

Troy's answer.

Troy, do you think putting in (insert player) for (insert player) would help on defense?

Troy's answer.

Etc....

Don't read too much into it. He could have been asked anything and given that response.

;)

Yeah, but for this much talent to fall apart and play the way it has been for so long against such poor teams, there has to some deeper seeded issues within the locker room or difficencies in the coaching staff.

Hence, the comment that any single play is not going to make a difference. Because the biggest problem with this "team" is not an individual talent.

Again, just my thoughts. Tough to find another reason for this kind of debacle.

Maybe that isn't what Troy was referring to, just one person's opinion of what he could have been referring too. But maybe I am reading too much into it. We'll never know.

stlrz d
12-14-2009, 09:50 AM
We'll never know.

Correct. ;)

:D