PDA

View Full Version : At worst we should have the____pick in the draft

steelerkeylargo
12-11-2009, 01:12 AM
17th!!!!!

grotonsteel
12-11-2009, 01:29 AM
Terrence Cody/Brandon Spikes/Joe Haden all will be available.

Shoe
12-11-2009, 01:44 AM
I admit that I don't know too much about them, but none excite me.

Actually, I guess Mt. Cody's size does a bit... but I have seen nothing to indicate he is anything more than any other fata$s-type (push pocket, hold point, no pass-rush, take downs off... eventually two-down player, needs to be motivated)

Spikes--I tend to lump players from schools and success/failure. I think of Florida players (Specifically defense) as good players in college, ho-hum pros. What's different about Spikes?

I don't know the other guy (Haden).

I want to see playmakers picked. And linemen.

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 09:10 AM

Cody is great now but may eat himself out of the league. he has not in two years made the target weight Saban set for himn to be more than a two down player.

From what I hear from folks in Gainesville, Spikes is a bit of a headcase. I'd take Roloando McClain from Alabama over him in a milisecond.

Haden has all the skills but while he is listed at either 5'10" or 5'11" I guarantee he will barely be 5'10 at the combine. Too short to be a match up corner against big receivers.

Some interesting picks to consider will be Taylor Mays who may actually be within reach if we lose another game or two plus this draft is deep at both DL and Safety (Earl Thomas, Nate Allen for example)

The woldcard is do we grab someone explosive like RB CJ Spiller from Clemson who could be that explosive counterpunch to Mendy. We have nothing past Mendy IMO. FWP is toast.

isonator07
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM

Cody is great now but may eat himself out of the league. he has not in two years made the target weight Saban set for himn to be more than a two down player.

From what I hear from folks in Gainesville, Spikes is a bit of a headcase. I'd take Roloando McClain from Alabama over him in a milisecond.

Haden has all the skills but while he is listed at either 5'10" or 5'11" I guarantee he will barely be 5'10 at the combine. Too short to be a match up corner against big receivers.

Some interesting picks to consider will be Taylor Mays who may actually be within reach if we lose another game or two plus this draft is deep at both DL and Safety (Earl Thomas, Nate Allen for example)

The woldcard is do we grab someone explosive like RB CJ Spiller from Clemson who could be that explosive counterpunch to Mendy. We have nothing past Mendy IMO. FWP is toast.

This seems like a decent idea. Plus with his return ability Logan can go back to his paper route and open up a gameday spot for our goal line back Redman. :stirpot

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 10:58 AM

This seems like a decent idea. Plus with his return ability Logan can go back to his paper route and open up a gameday spot for our goal line back Redman. :stirpot

punt returns logan needs to work on but his kick return average is good. better than most in the nfl actually

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
I've soured on Mays. He's got the size, he's got the speed, he's got the athletic ability. But as an overall safety, he seems to be quite limited (drawn comparisons to Roy Williams, former Cowboy and current Bengal). We don't need anyone else in our secondary who doesn't have any recognizable ball skills. If Eric Berry somehow fell (or we sunk low enough in the standings to be in that target range), I would be all over that, but I think Berry gets taken early...he should be a top 10 guy for sure.

My guess is it will be Terrance Cody or Dan Williams to replace Hampton. We've talked about how NT's don't grow on trees, but picking in the mid-first, we should be able to get one. Might as well.

If they decide that Colon isn't worth an extension, Bruce Campbell (start the Evil Dead jokes now) or Bryan Bulaga could be in play. Keep Colon for one more year with another RFA tender while the rookie learns to ropes and prepares to take over in 2011.

I think they have to play Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett in these last 3 games to see what they may have there (deactivating Keenan and activating Gay 4 days after a concussion was stupid). I think they may be hesitant to take a CB like Haden in the first after investing 2 picks at CB in the last draft, even though a playmaking corner appears to be a glaring need. However, a scheme in which our corners play 10-15 yards off a WR consistently tends to neuter a playmaking CB anyway.

Please don't talk about drafting another RB in the first round. My heart can't take it.

steelblood
12-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Best post I've read all month. You are on the money with these insights, my friend.

McClain is ALWAYS around the ball. He does not have the athletic gifts that Spikes has, but he has incredible instincts and heart. He'll be a fantastic pro.

I agree about Cody. He's a gamble. I also think someone will take him earlier than expected, like SF with one of their two first round picks.

To me, Hayden is a late first round, early second round talent. The top of this CB class is not great. There is real value to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Mays worries me because he has all that ability and yet seems out of position a lot. It may be the scheme or coaching, but I question his instincts/football IQ at this point.

I certainly wouldn't waste a first round pick on Spiller. But, I agree we need another back as FWP is a FA and will not be retained in all likelihood. I'd like another back with size. Mendenhall is big, but he runs too upright for short yardage imo. We need someone with lean who will punish defenders to complement Rashard.

BigRob
12-11-2009, 12:25 PM

Best post I've read all month. You are on the money with these insights, my friend.

McClain is ALWAYS around the ball. He does not have the athletic gifts that Spikes has, but he has incredible instincts and heart. He'll be a fantastic pro.

I agree about Cody. He's a gamble. I also think someone will take him earlier than expected, like SF with one of their two first round picks.

To me, Hayden is a late first round, early second round talent. The top of this CB class is not great. There is real value to be had in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Mays worries me because he has all that ability and yet seems out of position a lot. It may be the scheme or coaching, but I question his instincts/football IQ at this point.

I certainly wouldn't waste a first round pick on Spiller. But, I agree we need another back as FWP is a FA and will not be retained in all likelihood. I'd like another back with size. Mendenhall is big, but he runs too upright for short yardage imo. We need someone with lean who will punish defenders to complement Rashard.

SF already has the best nose tackle in the game in Aubrayo Franklin. He's a free agent, but I just cannot see them letting a great young nose tackle hit free agency. What about Ryan Pickett from GB he has been playing nose very well this year for them. I think he is a FA.

I agrfee with you about Rolando Mclain, but cannot see them going LB in the first round again. This team needs to star investing in both sides of the line.

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 12:47 PM

SF already has the best nose tackle in the game in Aubrayo Franklin. He's a free agent, but I just cannot see them letting a great young nose tackle hit free agency. What about Ryan Pickett from GB he has been playing nose very well this year for them. I think he is a FA.

I agrfee with you about Rolando Mclain, but cannot see them going LB in the first round again. This team needs to star investing in both sides of the line.

I think the team probably feels they have invested on both sides of the line last year with Ziggy and Sunny on the DL and Urbik and Foster on the OL.

Don't forget the trend is to take skill position players in Round #1 under Colbert. Hood was an exception but then again #32 was essentially Round 2. If we are picking mid Round 1, I see DB as the most likely choice. Wildcards would be RB (CJ Spiller or Jahvid Best) or TE. Yes I did say TE! If Arians remains OC, how tempting would Jermaine Gresham be? He will be there.

Personally, I fix the defensive side of the ball. This is a great Round 1 for DL but not many project to fit the 3-4.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 01:29 PM
I think we need alot more help than alot of us realize, I hope we get an early pick (of course i want the steelers to go 9-7 though) and if we get an early pick I would look to trade it and get more picks, maybe a mid first and and early third or two early seconds...