PDA

View Full Version : Draft: I think it's starts up front.

skyhawk
12-11-2009, 12:59 AM
I think it all starts with rebuilding the OL and bringing back the FB.

Draft the best OL in college, and sign a good veteran. Essex and Hartwig MUST go.

Chadman
12-11-2009, 01:06 AM

Draft the best OL in college, and sign a good veteran. Essex and Hartwig MUST go.

Hartwig just got an extension, so he stays.

Honestly- CHANGE THE SCHEME. The Steelers OL are not BUILT to play Zone Blocking. They are big maulers- let them play like big maulers...

skyhawk
12-11-2009, 01:12 AM
Thanks Chadman. That sucks about Hartwig. LOL.

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

I think the secondary that can't pass defend, can't tackle and can't intercept is a much bigger problem than the OL which has actually at times looked much better this season.

Throw in a replacement LB for James Farrior whose play has declined faster than any player I can ever remember. He hasn't lost a step, he has lost two.

anger 82&95
12-11-2009, 09:01 AM
I've been snooping around some other Steeler boards and the consensus pick seems to be a top-quality CB in the draft.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 09:05 AM
the o-line is fine, if anything i think chadman is right. they aren't the zone blocking type of o-lineman. emphasis has to be on the secondary and the d-line

BURGH86STEEL
12-11-2009, 09:12 AM
It really won't matter who they have up front if Ben continues to look unprepared on the field.

Maybe Ben is prepared? There are times when it looks like he is not prepared I don't think anyone can say for sure.

This offense has some things to work on to become a more consistent unit.

phillyesq
12-11-2009, 09:14 AM
Lets draft a soft, underachieving cover 2 outside linebacker, move him inside, and hope that this time the guy we draft can hit harder than our punter.

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 09:16 AM
I've been snooping around some other Steeler boards and the consensus pick seems to be a top-quality CB in the draft.

We will have the ability to take some top safeties, e.g. Earl Thomas (Texas), Nate Allen (South Florida) or Taylor Mays (USC). I'd love to see us grab Mays and play him with Troy. Plus Mays could fill in for Troy at SS better than any option we have.

There are not as many CBs rated high as Safeties in this draft. The top 2 are Joe Haden (Florida) and Patrick Robinson (Florida State). Both are listed at 5'11" but I'll bet they both measure less than that at the combine. IMO too short to be a top CB.

This is also a very deep draft for DL but it really depends on whether we stay with the 3-4 defense. If we do many very good DL will be excluded from consideration because they do not fit the 3-4 DL role.

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 09:27 AM
i think it all starts with us not quiting next year.....
the offense is okay, but it is definetly not a quick strike offense like some believe it is...
the defense is the big problem, we need to sure up the ILB's, we need to get some DT help we need to get a safety bc the most overrated Steeler (clark) is gone thankfully after the season...our defense needs to be rebuilt basically...

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 09:29 AM
i think it all starts with us not quiting next year.....
the offense is okay, but it is definetly not a quick strike offense like some believe it is...
the defense is the big problem, we need to sure up the ILB's, we need to get some DT help we need to get a safety bc the most overrated Steeler (clark) is gone thankfully after the season...our defense needs to be rebuilt basically...

All indications are that a rebuilt may be in order, but what will it be rebuilt as? 3-4? 4-3? :stirpot

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2009, 11:07 AM
Lets draft a soft, underachieving cover 2 outside linebacker, move him inside, and hope that this time the guy we draft can hit harder than our punter.

Let's publicly proclaim that that is what we are looking for, then maybe the Jets will jump ahead to us to take that guy, leaving us with the cover corner we wanted a couple of years ago.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Let's publicly proclaim that that is what we are looking for, then maybe the Jets will jump ahead to us to take that guy, leaving us with the cover corner we wanted a couple of years ago.

i was just thinking about that this morning. do you think its possible tomlin and the fo wanted timmons all along and thats why they hinted about revis? that would make more sense wouldnt it? i mean who could be that stupid?

pfelix73
12-11-2009, 11:14 AM
The OL doesn;t always zone block- a great example of that is when they run that running play to the right when Kemo pulls around- That's a simple trap play. Anyone can zone block-0 it's not all that hard and everyone who plays from pee wee all the way up plays some kind of zone blocking schemes from time to time, so the OL isn't the problem.

Not having a real FB IS a problem. and that needs to change.

No, if we're picking around 13 or 14 in the 1st round- the best freaking CB on the board needs to be picked- we need more play makers on defense. Plain and simple. Someone who can be our #1 CB, cause Ike ain't it. Gay can play behind the rest.

:tt2

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 11:18 AM
The OL doesn;t always zone block- a great example of that is when they run that running play to the right when Kemo pulls around- That's a simple trap play. Anyone can zone block-0 it's not all that hard and everyone who plays from pee wee all the way up plays some kind of zone blocking schemes from time to time, so the OL isn't the problem.

No, if we're picking around 13 or 14 in the 1st round- the best freaking CB on the board needs to be picked- we need more play makers on defense. Plain and simple. Someone who can be our #1 CB, cause Ike ain't it. Gay can play behind the rest.

thats a very good point. i miss the days of krieder, lester and john l williams. when they run with david johnson lined up as fb they seem to have more success. they need to find a real fb in the offseason. BA should smarten up and realize you need a rb if you want to run the ball well

pfelix73
12-11-2009, 11:23 AM
The local media is really letting Arians have it right now... ESPN 1250. Go Savran.

1st series 3rd down and short- pass- sack- punt

2nd series 3rd down and short (empty set)- pass- sack- punt

3rd series 3rd down short 4th down short BB gets one 1 yard to pick up..

BA must go and his stupid 1 back 2TE set.

ANPSTEEL
12-11-2009, 11:26 AM

exactamundo.

in another thread i listed my changes-

one of the first was- bench Spaeth.
Use Johnson, and run behind him lined up as a full back.
hesus kryst, wtf is arians watching???

The corners are average at best, but what we are seeing is that w/o Troy- the secondary has absolutely no playmakers or anyone with "make-up" speed. The corners are playing 10 - 13 yards off the friking LOS.
That says not only don't I have faith in my corners, but I don't even think my Safeties are good enough to help over top.

Anyway- 1st pick (unless some crazy stud on the OL or DL falls) 1st pick has to be CB- and more specifically, a playmaker.

pfelix73
12-11-2009, 11:29 AM
exactly. We need better athletes that make plays in the backfield.. A 1st round CB is the way to go.

:tt1

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-11-2009, 11:36 AM
Honestly, as far as personnell, I don't think it is on the offensive side. If an OT falls to you maybe. Possible a good C or RB in the 3-4 range. Other than that, the "Steel Curtain" is rusty. I'm thinking a NT,S,ILB,CB...As need in that order. IF they can keep Hampton around one more year that could help. But I think this draft will be easy....BEST DEFENSIVE PLAYER ON THE BOARD against your highest ranked player. I could see the Steelers first 4 choices being on the defensive side of the ball. Actually could be a good year for the Steelers to be drafting high. An un-capped year might have teams busy on draft day who are tight against the cap. There could be some playoffs teams willing to make a big jump and spend draft picks because they think a guy they targeted is the missing piece. Can gain some quality picks in the first 4 rounds. The Steelers need to get young on defense quick with players who could contribute early. I actually think we may see a "Farrior" or "Hartings" type of FA signing before the draft. It is the year to do it to leap frog some positional draft misses without salary cap implications.

SteelCzar76
12-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Again gentlemen,.......Mike Tomlin will continue to draft 'project' bums in hopes that should they succeed in the NFL it would somehow validate himself as a former "not good enough to play for a major university or in the NFL" player.

And henceforth,...we are all wasting our time with any expectations for April,... be it at any position. Because whichever position/s the organization would like to address,...Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.(Tomlin)

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM
Again gentlemen,.......Mike Tomlin will continue to draft 'project' bums in hopes that should they succeed in the NFL it would somehow validate himself as a former "not good enough to play for a major university or in the NFL" player.

And henceforth,...we are all wasting our time with any expectations for April,... be it at any position. Because whichever position/s the organization would like to address,...Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.

We are going to draft Omar Epps?

steelblood
12-11-2009, 11:42 AM

Unlike most years, I'm not sure there is a corner worth a mid-first round pick in the 2010 draft. It is a long way away, but I don't like many of the top corners like Hayden, Brian Jackson, and AJ Jefferson enough to pick them there. I think a decent corner can be had in the 2nd round this season. I don't see a Revis type.

BTW, I thought Burnett looked good yesterday. He keeps his eyes on the QB and drives on the ball.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 11:44 AM

And henceforth,...we are all wasting our time with any expectations for April,... be it at any position. Because whichever position/s the organization would like to address,...Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.(Tomlin)

woodley and mendenhall are project bums? your referring to one player and thats timmons. so tomlin is now gm and head coach? when did that happen, i must of missed it

SteelCzar76
12-11-2009, 01:31 PM

woodley and mendenhall are project bums? your referring to one player and thats timmons. so tomlin is now gm and head coach? when did that happen, i must of missed it

Oh i'm not only speaking of Timmons,....i am also making reference to scatback twinkle toes MINDY and every single other player we have Drafted since his (Tomlin's) Tenure began,....with the exception of Woodley whom was a classic COLBERT selection (Collegiate DE/ pro LB TWEENER) and Shipley.

Though Timmons, Mundy, Sweed, Hood, Gay, Burnett and Keenan lewis are the most ridiculous selections of them all.

Bottom line,....one cannot continue to draft sub par players just because you have a personal affinity for their "grits". You must have a roster with enough exceptional talent to to be better than mediocre or at worse,....a losing franchise.

SteelCzar76
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM

And henceforth,...we are all wasting our time with any expectations for April,... be it at any position. Because whichever position/s the organization would like to address,...Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.

We are going to draft Omar Epps?

:lol: Nah Ruthless i'm talking about Timmons, Mindy, Sweed, Keenan Lewis and Gay.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-11-2009, 02:55 PM

Oh i'm not only speaking of Timmons,....i am also making reference to scatback twinkle toes MINDY and every single other player we have Drafted since his (Tomlin's) Tenure began,....with the exception of Woodley whom was a classic COLBERT selection (Collegiate DE/ pro LB TWEENER) and Shipley.

Though Timmons, Mundy, Sweed, Hood, Gay, Burnett and Keenan lewis are the most ridiculous selections of them all.

Bottom line,....one cannot continue to draft sub par players just because you have a personal affinity for their "grits". You must have a roster with enough exceptional talent to to be better than mediocre or at worse,....a losing franchise.
Well the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Bengals, Texans, Panthers, Bucs, Rams, 49ers, etc. have been drafting this "exceptional talent" you are talking about for over a decade...And they have so many Playoff appearances, Divisional Titles, and Super Bowl Championships...That it makes me sick. The Steelers are Pathetic...You turned me! :Hater

SteelCzar76
12-11-2009, 04:01 PM

Well the Browns, Raiders, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Bills, Bengals, Texans, Panthers, Bucs, Rams, 49ers, etc. have been drafting this "exceptional talent" you are talking about for over a decade...And they have so many Playoff appearances, Divisional Titles, and Super Bowl Championships...That it makes me sick. The Steelers are Pathetic...You turned me! :Hater

Glad to hear it ! Because in case you didn't receive the memo,....this Team will very soon be exactly of the same quality as the Teams you mentioned.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 04:22 PM

mendy is averaging 5 yards per carry. twinkle toes huh?

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2009, 04:43 PM

Yeah, but if you take away his longest carry of every game, that average goes down. So there! I told you... :P

SteelCzar76
12-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Yeah, but if you take away his longest carry of every game, that average goes down. So there! I told you... :P

Your being a smart azz and quite a hilarious guy aside Ruthless,.....you pretty much beat me to the punch here. :lol:

buckeyehoppy
12-11-2009, 05:13 PM
LMFAO!!!

If anybody really believes the Steelers are going to draft an OL in this draft...ANY OL...you are begging. Our OL is fine. Benjamin says so, therefore, we don't need any. Case closed!

I do believe that Ovie did the work to find out where the strengths in the draft lie in relation to our needs. Good work, Ovie! It's just too bad that our greatest need, once again, has deficient value in the draft. OTOH, I like the idea of selecting another DL if that's where the value lies. A strong DL has a way of improving a healthy secondary by osmosis.

FTR, if the OL is really a need, then what does that say about our scheme? When we don't score 27 points, we lose... pretty simple. However, consider this:

Benjamin, by the numbers, is having a great year. No lie. His numbers are fabulous. Never mind that he's still getting sacked with alarming regularity.

Mendy is also having a season that is making SWP's pending exodus a little less worrisome. Never mind that he disappears for chunks of time.

The bottom line is that Bruce Arians has created schizophrenia outta whole cloth with what passes for his "scheme". We have guys putting up great numbers while the numbers in the standings and on the scoreboard go into the tank. Translation: we don't need jack schitt on O other than expurgating our beloved OC. That will be addition by subtraction!

RuthlessBurgher
12-11-2009, 05:18 PM

Your being a smart azz and quite a hilarious guy aside Ruthless,.....you pretty much beat me to the punch here. :lol:

I take my smart@$$ery seriously...

NWNewell
12-11-2009, 05:19 PM
Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.(Tomlin)

Didn't you say something to the effect that Steelers fans being a bunch of rust belt closet bigots in another post?

I would have disagreed with you, but you are proving yourself right.

SteelCzar76
12-13-2009, 01:12 PM
Tomlin will see to it that Colbert selects the most average, unproductive against their collegiate peers and untalented player/s possible. You know,....because "they are ordinary as a bowl of grits" and or bear some physical resemblance to him.(Tomlin)

Didn't you say something to the effect that Steelers fans being a bunch of rust belt closet bigots in another post?

I would have disagreed with you, but you are proving yourself right.

If you are trying to imply that i'm a bigot,...i'm here to tell you that that is quite impossible based upon the diversity of my ethnic background, and my personal and business relationships.

And i was not born into nor do i live in the aforementioned regions. However because of a great deal of my family on my Maternal side happen to be from western PA,.i would visit from LA as child. Henceforth my lifelong love of Steeler Football and my knowledge of some of the types of Demographics in the areas that i mentioned.

Again,...if the shoe doesn't fit you,...why take it personal enough to even comment ? :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-13-2009, 07:17 PM

Glad to hear it ! Because in case you didn't receive the memo,....this Team will very soon be exactly of the same quality as the Teams you mentioned.
Never happen. The Steelers put up a 6-10 under Cowher and then built up for a SB. It happens...Nothing to worry about. The orginization will fix what needs to be fixed. To believe it won't means you just haven't been a Steelers fan too long.

Va Steelr
12-13-2009, 10:33 PM
I don't know where we start in the draft.D line is old.O line is better but not enough
improvement yet,If we go D line but not as high as some hope there is a kid at UVA
that may be worth a look.Nate Collins, 6'2 about 305.Good motor,strength and quickness.
UVA runs a 3-4.He probably needs to put 20-30 lbs for a NT.Have seen him play DE & NT
this season.

Va Steelr
12-13-2009, 10:34 PM
I don't know where we start in the draft.D line is old.O line is better but not enough
improvement yet,If we go D line but not as high as some hope there is a kid at UVA
that may be worth a look.Nate Collins, 6'2 about 305.Good motor,strength and quickness.
UVA runs a 3-4.He probably needs to put 20-30 lbs for a NT.Have seen him play DE & NT
this season.

NWNewell
12-14-2009, 07:49 AM
JPN, if you haven't noticed yet, let me help you.

You're just :HeadBanger

Not worth the breath.

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 09:06 AM

Uh...Pretty much like very other RB (along with QBs, WRs, etc) in the league. You do understand the concept of averages correct? Maybe not...some of the most warped logic I've read in awhile.

RuthlessBurgher
12-14-2009, 09:46 AM

Uh...Pretty much like very other RB (along with QBs, WRs, etc) in the league. You do understand the concept of averages correct? Maybe not...some of the most warped logic I've read in awhile.

Satire, dude. Basically the same stupidity that people have been spewing about Parker for the past few years. You know I'm super serious about something when I finish with the smiley that is sticking its tongue out. :P

Oviedo
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM

Satire, dude. Basically the same stupidity that people have been spewing about Parker for the past few years. You know I'm super serious about something when I finish with the smiley that is sticking its tongue out. :P

Cool