PDA

View Full Version : I don't see the wholesale changes...

TallyStiller
12-11-2009, 12:58 AM
that some here seem to think are coming. As maddening as this season has been, tthey ran a stat on today's game, saying that this was the first time all year we trailed by more than a score. The last team to do that through 12 games was the '98 Broncos, who went 12 - 0 in that run. This team is a handful of special teams tackles from 10 wins.

Granted, there are problems, and some age is showing on the defense (Farrior, Fat Casey)... but by and large, we are in good position for a significant bounce back next year when the glare of the bright lights leaves us and this team gets it's humble, hard working mojo back.

skyhawk
12-11-2009, 01:00 AM
We certainly didn't see the wholesale changes tonight like Tomlin threatened. I only saw ONE change in the lineup. Burnett.

TallyStiller
12-11-2009, 01:06 AM
Who's he going to replace in season? Saw Santonio returning punts, can tell you the Stefan Logan experiment is done. The Steelers' strength as an organization is in continuity... Tomlin knows he's not going to get run because of one bad season, so he has the security to grow and develop his program. Whoever coaches special teams is a dead man walking... that change I'll buy.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-11-2009, 01:09 AM
What does anyone think about the possibility that we'll open next year with a new special teams coach, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator?

skyhawk
12-11-2009, 01:13 AM
What does anyone think about the possibility that we'll open next year with a new special teams coach, offensive coordinator and defensive coordinator?

All three?

ZERO chance.

Iron Shiek
12-11-2009, 01:34 AM
Continuity...

Shoe
12-11-2009, 01:37 AM
Granted, there are problems, and some age is showing on the defense (Farrior, Fat Casey)...

This is where change will/should occur. Because we seem slow getting to the edge/pursuit. Where was Timmons and his "heat-seeking" range? (IMO, this guy is a bit miscast inside. His blitzing ability is good there, but I'm guessing that he gets locked up too much by this inside mush--that's why he's not there to make sideline-to-sideline plays). And Farrior clearly isn't what he once was. Casey is toast--flat out.

Aaron Smith could've helped some, but even he--you couldn't really expect him to have been the player he has been the previous 5-7.

SteelBucks
12-11-2009, 09:26 AM
that some here seem to think are coming. As maddening as this season has been, tthey ran a stat on today's game, saying that this was the first time all year we trailed by more than a score. The last team to do that through 12 games was the '98 Broncos, who went 12 - 0 in that run. This team is a handful of special teams tackles from 10 wins.

Granted, there are problems, and some age is showing on the defense (Farrior, Fat Casey)... but by and large, we are in good position for a significant bounce back next year when the glare of the bright lights leaves us and this team gets it's humble, hard working mojo back.

I don't see any major changes either. A few will leave by FA (Clark, Hampton, Reed) but, for the most part, the team you see now will be the team you see next year.

Oviedo
12-11-2009, 09:32 AM
We certainly didn't see the wholesale changes tonight like Tomlin threatened. I only saw ONE change in the lineup. Burnett.

I think the short week had a lot to do with that. Remember because of the short week we only had one practice.

What happens for the Green Bay game will be more interesting.

NWNewell
12-11-2009, 09:37 AM
Granted, there are problems, and some age is showing on the defense (Farrior, Fat Casey)...

This is where change will/should occur. Because we seem slow getting to the edge/pursuit. Where was Timmons and his "heat-seeking" range? (IMO, this guy is a bit miscast inside. His blitzing ability is good there, but I'm guessing that he gets locked up too much by this inside mush--that's why he's not there to make sideline-to-sideline plays). And Farrior clearly isn't what he once was. Casey is toast--flat out.

Aaron Smith could've helped some, but even he--you couldn't really expect him to have been the player he has been the previous 5-7.

I think he's getting locked up because he's not always in the right positions. I've seen several times on runs that bounce to the outside he seems to over pursue and get sucked up to the line, then gets himself picked by another LB being blocked. He doesn't seem to play declined and I think that is what Harrison and Farrior are referring to (not that I really think Farrior has much room to talk at this point).