PDA

View Full Version : Welcome to the old folks home

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-11-2009, 12:44 AM
Farrior - two horrible plays today - really bad angle on the TD run, and just got blown up trying to make a tackle on cribs. I know we had to keep him when Foote left, but I don't think he can help the team much.

Hampton, I can't remember the last time he seemed to block up the lane and push the QB to the outside. Kiesel? Anyone else?

Play the rooks!

birtikidis
12-11-2009, 12:45 AM
I'm gonna say it now. we need either timmons and spikes inside with fat casey in the middle for one more year. or we need key and timmons inside and cody in the middle. james is on the outside looking in... and i don't see room for him.

grotonsteel
12-11-2009, 12:54 AM
Brandon Spikes will be a nice addition...

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 12:58 AM

Yeah, as long as he stop trying to gouge out people's eyes.....

RussBII
12-11-2009, 01:10 AM

At least that shows effort and emotion...

I like McClain more tho

birtikidis
12-11-2009, 02:49 AM
hey if we're lucky that gouging of the eyes could cause him to fall far enough that we could get Terrance cody AND Brandon spikes.
I think Spikes will fall after his pro day. little bit of off field trouble mixed in with not living up to his potential this year bc of injuries... he could be an early 2nd round pick. and I'll tell you what give me a 2nd gator in either joe haden or one of their safeties... i think they all jettison from UF this year...

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 08:21 AM
we need alot of help....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-11-2009, 10:08 AM
The "Steel Curtain" is rusty.
We have three games left before DL anounces his retirement.
Thanks for the years of dedication DL, you will be missed. Enjoy the HOF.
There has been a great drop off of players that are on the wrong side of the hill.

Farrior-Not the same player at all. Unless he is playing some type of injury, he could be upgraded. I know he is the leader, but I would say the combination of Fox & Timmons would be more productive. I expect a "thumper" in the first three rounds.

Clark-I Can't gauge him 100% because of Troy's absence. He wasn't the same player this year but hard to say if it is his skills without Troy back there. However, I have no problem with him staying as long as he signs a deal that pays him starters salary for 2010 and then primary back-up after that. That's up to Clark to sign the deal.

Carter-Done. Gone.

Taylor-I'll start with him. One of my favorite guys on defense. His play first. Playing like a back-up. Terrible! To his comments about possibly losing his starting job to a younger player...I'm not sure if I want him on this team anymore. Complacent...The defenition of what is wrong with the defense and/or team...And your comments showed me your are one of the guilty.

Townsend-Done. Gone. Thanks for your years of dedicated serveice.

Keisel- Great job. Actually elevated play "AFTER" you signed a new deal.

A Smith-Was still at the top of your game before injury. Hopefully you full recover and can give us another year as a starter and finish as a back-up.

Hampton-I would have never thought I would say this but showed some heart. Still looks like you have something in the tank. Might be a good idea to keep him around 1 more year even if you have to tag him.

Kirschke-Done.

Eason-Although you don't have much miles on those old tires, I feel that you will be gone. Really nothing more than a big body.

Hoke-What can I say. Still can play. There is still a spot here in the back-up role.

Simple as that folks. It catches up to you. Happened to the Patriots D and it is happening to us. The league has caught up to DL too. That is even more evident. The problem there is, I don't think DL has a counterpunch. He hasn't shown it over the losing streak.

ramblinjim
12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
:Agree

JPN - I'm in agreement with a whole lot of what you said.

phillyesq
12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
Some of the older guys, Farrior and Townsend especially, have slowed down a lot this year.

But some of the young guys, namely Timmons, have failed to step up. Coverage is supposed to be his strength, and he got beat for a huge third down game by a no-name tight end. He got blown-up in the run game. Unless he is unblocked, he offers no pass rush. And on the Cribbs return yesterday, he looked slow, tentative and lost. Sepulvda made a great tackle, but wouldn't it be nice to see that from somebody drafted in the top half of the first round?

NWNewell
12-11-2009, 10:54 AM
Sepulvda made a great tackle, but wouldn't it be nice to see that from somebody drafted in the top half of the first round?

Should have put Sepulvda on defense to shadow Cribbs. He made the best tackle of the game on Cribbs.

(just kidding.... but not really)

NW Steeler
12-11-2009, 11:25 AM
Some of the older guys, Farrior and Townsend especially, have slowed down a lot this year.

But some of the young guys, namely Timmons, have failed to step up. Coverage is supposed to be his strength, and he got beat for a huge third down game by a no-name tight end. He got blown-up in the run game. Unless he is unblocked, he offers no pass rush. And on the Cribbs return yesterday, he looked slow, tentative and lost. Sepulvda made a great tackle, but wouldn't it be nice to see that from somebody drafted in the top half of the first round?

Timmons has been a disappointment this year. Misses a lot of tackles and over-runs plays as well. Hopefully he will get better, but yeesh....

SteelAbility
12-11-2009, 11:30 AM
I'm gonna say it now. we need either timmons and spikes inside with fat casey in the middle for one more year. or we need key and timmons inside and cody in the middle. james is on the outside looking in... and i don't see room for him.

Timmons should not be a starter. From the action I'm seeing he is getting beat a lot in coverage and on holding his position on run plays. When he makes a play everyone notices it. But it is lost in all of the silent non-plays that strain the D. Timmons is most effective in situational downs. We have all seen that. We now have a pretty large sample set on Timmons' starting. Making flashy plays is great but the overall effectiveness is measured by an "every down" viewpoint. It's like the difference between a match and a radiator. A match has very high temperature locally, but it can't warm a room. A radiator doesn't run so hot locally, but can warm a room.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-11-2009, 11:47 AM

Timmons has been a disappointment this year. Misses a lot of tackles and over-runs plays as well. Hopefully he will get better, but yeesh....

Timmons is an average every down LB. Timmons is a very good coverage L. But...I think Timmons could be an Outstanding ROLB. I hope they are just trying to get him on the field until his time comes. He is sitting behind a Pro Bowler...Who hasn't shown any decline.

steelblood
12-11-2009, 05:22 PM

I questioned his instincts before the season and said we'd miss Foote. Everyone told me I was nuts. Timmons makes splash plays and then fails to make the smart play. He is often slow to react and has very questionable instincts. He has great talent, but I'm not sure he'll ever realize his potential.

birtikidis
12-11-2009, 06:01 PM
Timmons fits in farriors spot. the guy that is responsible more for coverage then run stopping ability. Ala Levon kirkland (great run stuffing guy but also could cover) and Chad Brown (not the strongest at the point of attack but able to go sideline to sideline and blitz).
you put timmons next to a guy who is stout against the run and you'll see him flourish.

RuthlessBurgher
12-12-2009, 01:25 PM

Oh...wise guy...

http://mrsec.com/pics/stooges-eye-poke.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-15-2009, 10:17 AM
Timmons fits in farriors spot. the guy that is responsible more for coverage then run stopping ability. Ala Levon kirkland (great run stuffing guy but also could cover) and Chad Brown (not the strongest at the point of attack but able to go sideline to sideline and blitz).
you put timmons next to a guy who is stout against the run and you'll see him flourish.

Timmons could develop into something more. He has the athletic abilty to cover sideline to sideline. His coverage skills are at or better than some Ss I have seen. However, you put Timmons weakside OLB and they guy will give you 12+ sacks a year. I'm confident in saying that. He would be a difference maker on the outside on the weakside. I think the coaches are putting him on the field and he might be Harrisons's successor. Just like the Porter-Harrison deal. The difference is Timmons brings something to the table early in his career because of his athletic ability and you need to get him on the field being a 1st rounder. I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers draft Farrior's replacement early and he actually pushes Farrior to the bench sometime next year. Timmons "can" play Farriors spot but he don't have the instincts yet inside to help him make up for his lack of abilty in shedding a block at the point of attack. He can shed and persue but he would struggle right now if he had to shed "iso" blocks in the hole. Farrior & Fox actually do a better job at that at this point in their careers than Timmons. That aspect is more about recognition, hand & shoulder placement, and experience. Athletic abilty can help you get to the hole quicker but recognition & experience can make up that difference.

phillyesq
12-15-2009, 11:16 AM
However, you put Timmons weakside OLB and they guy will give you 12+ sacks a year.

Only if he has the good fortune of being unblocked for 12+ plays a year.

He has real trouble engaging offensive lineman in the running game. I think that putting him closer to the LOS in Harrison's spot will make things worse, not better.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-15-2009, 11:36 AM
However, you put Timmons weakside OLB and they guy will give you 12+ sacks a year.

Only if he has the good fortune of being unblocked for 12+ plays a year.

He has real trouble engaging offensive lineman in the running game. I think that putting him closer to the LOS in Harrison's spot will make things worse, not better.

Actually...That's the point of putting him there. Putting him on the edge where an OL has to respond to his explosive athleticism works in his favor. An OLB should never get hooked and should always contain in run. He can actually run around blocks in the pass rush and on outside run plays he can string the play out to the sideline and/or make the tackle. Right now he is actually doing what you expect out of an OLB in taking on the block and containing the play on an inside run. He doesn't have trouble engaging OL...He has trouble shedding blocks. You have to engage & shed...Not run around blocks on the inside. Assignments actually include taking on a block with a certain shoulder to funnel to pursuit. That is actually more important than coming off to make the tackle. If you struggle shedding blocks the outside is a better fit. Add in his athleticism on the edge, could be a playmaker. Timmons has 6 sacks in limited blitz opportunities in passing situations. We have seen him miss 3 because he came in out of control. You put him on the edge rushing the passer the offense is sending a TE on that side or a RB to chip. I'm not saying Timmons can't get better inside....But based on what he has shown...He might be better fit at ROLB.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
[quote=phillyesq]Some of the older guys, Farrior and Townsend especially, have slowed down a lot this year.

Timmons is an average every down LB. Timmons is a very good coverage L. But...I think Timmons could be an Outstanding ROLB. I hope they are just trying to get him on the field until his time comes. He is sitting behind a Pro Bowler...Who hasn't shown any decline.[/quote:2o3gh79t]

Agreed. I think Timmons would really shine as an OLB.