PDA

View Full Version : Dear Polamalu,

Shoe
12-11-2009, 12:21 AM
It was a SMART move resting your knee so thoroughly, so that you'll be primed and ready for the stretch-run. It's much better having you at 100% and playing for nothing, vs. something-less-than-100% but still in the playoff mix. That's great leadership.
Here's to a great last 3 games for you, and back to the old Troy!

Signed,
Shoe

calmkiller
12-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Absolutely. He totally would have helped the offense score more TDS!!!

TallyStiller
12-11-2009, 12:22 AM
Why not beat the rush and just hit the links now? See you next year.

AngryAsian
12-11-2009, 12:24 AM
Sorry brothers,

How anyone can question this man's heart and passion for the game is beyond my comprehension. This guy IS the major playmaker on this team and has always given up his body @ 100% when he's on the field.

Shoe
12-11-2009, 12:26 AM

Maybe if he played one of those other games, this one wouldn't have been so dire.

-Walked off field with no obvious limp/help.
-Didn't require surgery
-Leaders like Hines routinely play with pain

Polamalu is a mega-talent, but he's no "leader."

Starlifter
12-11-2009, 12:27 AM
pretty boy brady threw for an amazing 90 yards. i suppose we could have had troy key on josh cribbs every play. no one else seemed to be able to tackle him.

stlrz d
12-11-2009, 12:28 AM
You never answered the first time I asked this...so I'll ask again.

Have you ever had a knee injury?

flippy
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Troy's great when healthy.

Problem is he hasn't stayed healthy in 3 of the last 4 seasons.

Might be time to consider drafting his replacement.

Wolfhound45
12-11-2009, 12:34 AM

I'll answer that question. Yes, playing flag football I suffered a knee sprain, similar to the injury Troy suffered.

Three thoughts. One, it took nearly three months before I could walk without a brace let alone run. Two, it got into my head big time. I had tremendous fear when I had to make my first parachute jump again. I had never been afraid before then. Three, I am still feeling the after effects of that injury three years later.

Bottom line, it is a big deal.

stlrz d
12-11-2009, 12:37 AM

Come on man.

Wolfie - exactly. I tore my ACL in 1993. Never had surgery. MRI showed there was no ACL left so all I did was rehab via PT. My knee has been a problem ever since. And it's always in my head. Always.

fordfixer
12-11-2009, 12:46 AM
Sorry brothers,

How anyone can question this man's heart and passion for the game is beyond my comprehension. This guy IS the major playmaker on this team and has always given up his body @ 100% when he's on the field.
:Agree x2

Shoe
12-11-2009, 01:31 AM

(Directed at me?)
I've had ACL reconstruction, as well as a meniscus repaired surgically... Currently, I have a knee injury that prevents me from cutting.

(And my sport of choice was basketball.)

I played many games (that I felt were important) in which I had a lot of crackling going on, heavy wrap, etc. I also came back to play in May, with an ACL reconstruction in Jan/Dec (can't quite remember--and this was a while back)...Cuz I wanted badly to play.

And I wasn't playing for millions, or playing a SB.

In truth, I know that it's an individual thing (how a person deals with knee pain, etc.) And I of course don't know the extent of his injury. And I admit: I am venting over a lost season. (After all, what's a forum for but to VENT :HeadBanger )

But I am speaking to something that does seem apparent to me (Troy nursing injuries). An I personally have had numerous knee injuries... and I have played... to answer the question.

stlrz d
12-11-2009, 08:55 AM

(Directed at me?)
I've had ACL reconstruction, as well as a meniscus repaired surgically... Currently, I have a knee injury that prevents me from cutting.

I played many games (that I felt were important) in which I had a lot of crackling going on, heavy wrap, etc. I also came back to play in May, with an ACL reconstruction in Jan/Dec (can't quite remember--and this was a while back)...Cuz I wanted badly to play.

In truth, I know that it's an individual thing (how a person deals with knee pain, etc.) And I of course don't know the extent of his injury. And I admit: I am venting over a lost season. (After all, what's a forum for but to VENT :HeadBanger )

But I am speaking to something that does seem apparent to me (Troy nursing injuries). An I personally have had numerous knee injuries... and I have played... to answer the question.

Were you coming back from those injuries to cover NFL receivers?

The way Troy plays with reckless abandon it's clearly not a pain issue with him.

frankthetank1
12-11-2009, 09:10 AM
yeah troy coming back to soon and risk permanent damage to his knee would have been smart. especially since the team has been playing so well this year. i hope troy doesnt come back at all this season. he should heal up and get ready for next season

Snatch98
12-11-2009, 10:06 AM

Maybe if he played one of those other games, this one wouldn't have been so dire.

-Didn't require surgery

What? First off Hines Ward isnt Polamalu. Yes Hines is the man and easily one of my favorite players from any sport. However he's not making the kind of movements on the field that separate Polamalu from every other safety and every other player in the NFL for that matter. Polamalu can't be polamalu with a suspect knee. He's to explosive a player and all he'd do is injure himself further. Do you really think he wouldn't hit the field if he could? We should have been able to beat KC, Oakland and Cleveland WITHOUT TROY but we didn't execute and we lost. Don't pin this on Polamalu. The dude as others have said does nothing but give 100% every time he hits the field.

Snatch98
12-11-2009, 10:09 AM

(Directed at me?)

lol to what capacity exactly? Are we talking rec league basketball? Highschool? College? Troy Polamalu is the starting safety for a once vaunted Steeler defense IN THE FLIPPIN NFL! Sooooo sure you played through your knee injury against whom? cause I'm sure during your stint of "playing through the pain like a man" you were boxing out Shaq and defending Lebron James. :moon

drprwnap
12-11-2009, 10:18 AM
It was a SMART move resting your knee so thoroughly, so that you'll be primed and ready for the stretch-run. It's much better having you at 100% and playing for nothing, vs. something-less-than-100% but still in the playoff mix. That's great leadership.
Here's to a great last 3 games for you, and back to the old Troy!

Signed,
Shoe

How can you pin this on Troy? :wft The way the ENTIRE team played last night-no heart, no desire, no passion-ONE MAN (even Troy) wouldn't have made a difference.
This was a TEAM loss-from the equipment manager up to (and especially) Tomlin. :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

BradshawsHairdresser
12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

$$$$$

There's no way you should have your defense so dependent on one player whose
availability is so often in question.

At least Troy's hair is healthy...

...you asked with your eyes. :lol:

JTP53609
12-11-2009, 03:41 PM
if any steeler goes on the cover of madden ever again than they need to be beaten up before they get hurt on the field.........

I love troy but his injury frequency is getting higher with each passing year that he gets older, that is not good news....

phillyesq
12-11-2009, 05:01 PM
A few weeks ago people were saying that Troy came back too soon from his first knee injury. Now, we're saying that he didn't come back soon enough?

I love Steelers football, and I expect the players to give their all. But I don't expect them to cripple themselves for my amusement. I'm absolutely not going to question Troy. This is his second knee injury this year. If and when he recovers, he'll play. Until then, he shouldn't play, and nobody should expect him to.

SteelAbility
12-11-2009, 08:55 PM
Dear Troy,

Please learn some basic risk management skills, like not bending down with an athletic 285 pound Oger hovering right above you. He can fall on you with force while you are in that weak position and, you know, really damage your knee causing your absence to really hurt the team. You don't have to be a Tazmanian devil on every single play to be effective. You can actually mix some smarts into your game. That way you optimize results, limit penalties to an as-needed basis, and keep your risk of injury to a minimum, maximizing the benefit of your skills and abilities to the team over the long term. Thanks.

SteelAbility

stlrz d
12-11-2009, 10:21 PM
The more I read the more I realize just how dumb this thread is.

Troy is hurt all the time.

Troy has no tolerance for pain.

Troy came back too soon.

Troy should have come back sooner.

Troy (the man Dick LeBeau called the smartest player he has ever coached) should "mix some smarts" in with his playing.

And on...and on...and on.........wow....

Shoe
12-11-2009, 11:03 PM
Well, why not shut him down for the year now then?

This was "a playoff game" for all intents... everyone was saying it, players, coaches...

...so is it that crazy to have a question as to why our best player didn't go out there (at least try it)? Especially considering he was/is purported to be a virtual certainty to play the following week's game. If this was the SB or the game leading up to the SB, would he have played or at least tried it?

It reminds me of people who jump down your throat when/if you even dare to question the gov't, as if they (Troy) are beyond question because of who they (he) are.

I ADMIT: I SPOKE OUT OF FRUSTRATION LAST NIGHT. And--I LOVE WATCHING HIM PLAY. And I have been a vigorous defender of Troy in the past (especially in the "Bustamalu" days). And I will continue to. But am I supposed to not ask questions of him, simply because he is Troy the Great.

anger 82&95
12-11-2009, 11:03 PM

-Didn't require surgery

What? First off Hines Ward isnt Polamalu. Yes Hines is the man and easily one of my favorite players from any sport. However he's not making the kind of movements on the field that separate Polamalu from every other safety and every other player in the NFL for that matter. Polamalu can't be polamalu with a suspect knee. He's to explosive a player and all he'd do is injure himself further. Do you really think he wouldn't hit the field if he could? We should have been able to beat KC, Oakland and Cleveland WITHOUT TROY but we didn't execute and we lost. Don't pin this on Polamalu. The dude as others have said does nothing but give 100% every time he hits the field.Exactly!