PDA

View Full Version : QB Pressure

flippy
12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
Last year, we covered up the shortcomings of our secondary by getting more QB pressure.

The front 7 may be more accountable for our defensive problems than our DBs.

Is Aaron Smith the missing piece?

Larry Foote?

The decline of James Farrior?

2 players are playing great - Casey and Brett.

You can make the case that the other 5 aren't.

Steeler Mafia
12-10-2009, 12:55 PM
I stated this in another post. Although we do miss Troy being on the field, I belive that Arron Smith is the biggest loss. Much like the last time he missed games a few years ago, when he is out, the D starts to crumble. He helps contol the line and people have to account for him. When that happens, things free up for Harrison and Woodly to put big pressure on the QB.

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 01:01 PM
yea, i said in 2007 in early december smith was placed on IR and our defense just flat out stunk afterwards, he is one of the most important parts of our defense, harrison has been playing well for the better part of the season and woodley has picked it up as of late, but without aaron smith it looks as though we dont have that push that we usually do....i dont think there is a steeler fan anywhere that will take him for granted next year...

NWNewell
12-10-2009, 01:16 PM
I totally agree. Both really hurt in the pass rush.

Smith is obviously a force and allows our LB's to get a much better rush.

But the confusion that Troy gives QB's and linemen with their protection schemes presnap has a huge impact as well (even if he's not rushing, because the O ever knows whether he is or not) and allows LB's to get through due to protection breakdowns too.

We definitely miss both of them equally for getting pressure to the QB. But Troy also helps with the coverage as well. He's kind of "double trouble" all by himself.

I will say that the defense as done a good job covering for Smith in the running game. And because of that, overall I think missing Troy has had a greater impact. Our secondary is totally exposed without him. Our running game is not totally exposed with Smith. They either of them would help our pass rush a great deal.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-10-2009, 01:44 PM
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9368 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9368)

Many of us seem to have the same idea ... so it must be right!!

BradshawsHairdresser
12-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Maybe Ziggy will step up and be the pocket collapser we've missed since Smitty went down.

costanza2k1
12-10-2009, 02:03 PM
I think a fraction of a second more and we get the pressure we need. Hopefully Burnett and Lewis can help provide that. If so then IT IS ON!

SteelAbility
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Smith is the key missing ingredient. His presence shuts down the run and makes it much easier to predict the pass, which makes the pass-rush much more effective. We have added the highly touted and almost unstoppable Lawrence Timmons to the starting lineup who is supposed to be a beast of a pass-rusher and yet our pass-rush is not as effective as it was last year.