PDA

View Full Version : Inside the NFL

Steeler Mafia
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
Chris collinsworth said something last night that I have been saying all week after the loss to the Raiders. (I was amazed that I actually agree with him) He was the only one that still believed that the Steelers will bounce back tonight and run the table. The point he made was that it was time for BA to release the reins and allow them to win games on the offensive side of the ball rather than having the defense try to protect a marginal 3 to 10 point lead. Yea, 24 points should have been plenty to beat the Raiders coming into Pittsburgh. However, we can see that we are not able to rely on the D as we did in our Super Bowl run last year. It is time to throw up the points much like the *Pats did in their undefeated run to the playoffs a few years back. Hopefully, if we do this and make it into the playoffs, the D will start to come around and we can get a healthy Troy back on the field to get a really good shot at another title.

papillon
12-10-2009, 11:46 AM
Chris collinsworth said something last night that I have been saying all week after the loss to the Raiders. (I was amazed that I actually agree with him) He was the only one that still believed that the Steelers will bounce back tonight and run the table. The point he made was that it was time for BA to release the reins and allow them to win games on the offensive side of the ball rather than having the defense try to protect a marginal 3 to 10 point lead. Yea, 24 points should have been plenty to beat the Raiders coming into Pittsburgh. However, we can see that we are not able to rely on the D as we did in our Super Bowl run last year. It is time to throw up the points much like the *Pats did in their undefeated run to the playoffs a few years back. Hopefully, if we do this and make it into the playoffs, the D will start to come around and we can get a healthy Troy back on the field to get a really good shot at another title.

I don't think that they play conservatively in the red zone. I think they play poorly when the space in the defense becomes crowded with players and the end line plays as an extra defender. I doubt that they can simply turn the "score more points" switch on at this point. The defense is going to have to contribute better in the 4th quarter, IMO.

Pappy

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 11:56 AM
I dont know if our offense can score points at will, we have seen at times this year our offense just do nothing (vikings, bengals, chiefs etc.) The friggin K.C. Chiefs held us to one touchdown after the first half. We need to get more pressure on the QB and our dbacks need to play better. Other than the horrific last drive by the rats to tie the game, we played well in baltimore (and other than the deep ball to clayton and the runs in OT)

Steeler Mafia
12-10-2009, 12:39 PM
I dont know if our offense can score points at will, we have seen at times this year our offense just do nothing (vikings, bengals, chiefs etc.) The friggin K.C. Chiefs held us to one touchdown after the first half. We need to get more pressure on the QB and our dbacks need to play better. Other than the horrific last drive by the rats to tie the game, we played well in baltimore (and other than the deep ball to clayton and the runs in OT)

I honestly think we can score at will on anyone in the league. However I believe that BA stubbornly pulls back on this offense and sometimes over thinks his strategy. I have been waiting and waiting since before last year for this offense to open up more and we most definitly have the talent to do so. Yes, the Defense hasn't held up their end, but much like we did in the Charger game, it is easier to protect a 14 to 20+ lead late in the game than it is to try and protect a 3 to 10 point lead.

SidSmythe
12-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Collinsworth is probably the best commentator in this day and age. He use to be a huge dork but he's really grown over the years. The man knows his stuff and I think he's effective b/c he's unbiased.
He knows the Steelers are a winning organization and usually i'd agree w/ him, but I just don't see this team having it at this point.

Our only hope is that they rally around Ben like they did Dennis Dixon. They knew they had to play like animals in a game I thought wasn't going to be close. The team had it in them but Dixon didn't. That's their only hope is to go out w/ a sense of urgency as if the season depends on it (which it does)

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2009, 04:50 PM
Collinsworth is probably the best commentator in this day and age. He use to be a huge dork but he's really grown over the years. The man knows his stuff and I think he's effective b/c he's unbiased.
He knows the Steelers are a winning organization and usually i'd agree w/ him, but I just don't see this team having it at this point.

Our only hope is that they rally around Ben like they did Dennis Dixon. They knew they had to play like animals in a game I thought wasn't going to be close. The team had it in them but Dixon didn't. That's their only hope is to go out w/ a sense of urgency as if the season depends on it (which it does)

What do you mean he used to be a huge dork? Even though he knows his stuff, that doesn't change the fact that he is still a huge dork!

http://www2.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/Super+Bowl+XLIII+kqqFq4RdG3pl.jpg

And wearing stripes didn't help that fact either.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/sivault/multimedia/photo_gallery/0901/history.jan27/images/cris-collinsworth.jpg

http://www.bigredkitty.net/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/dork.jpg

RussBII
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
I'm almost thinking that BA has been told to keep the offense on the field for as long as possible to give the defense a rest.

Four (or is it five now) 4th quarter melt downs? Sounds to me like they are tired.

SteelAbility
12-10-2009, 05:34 PM
I'm almost thinking that BA has been told to keep the offense on the field for as long as possible to give the defense a rest.

Four (or is it five now) 4th quarter melt downs? Sounds to me like they are tired.

Something about our D works great for 3 quarters. It's either getting exhausted or teams are taking to the 4thQ to figure it out. It's happened too many times now to be a coincidence. Even in our wins against Detroit and Minnesota, the D was struggling in the 4thQ. We've been handled now in the 4thQ ...

CHI
CIN
SD
DET (somewhat)
MIN
KC
BAL
OAK