PDA

View Full Version : It's official...

papillon
12-10-2009, 11:16 AM
The playoffs begin tonight, the Steelers are in one and done mode the rest of the way. I believed this to be the case last week and Baltimore went and lost to Green Bay giving the Steelers a pretty good shot at the playoffs if they can win out.

I'm sure that even if the Steelers were to lose tonight there would be some scenario allowing them to sneak into the playoffs, but for all intent and purposes the season is over with the next loss.

Can the following be corrected and the Steelers make a run in the playoffs?

The defense get off the field on third down?
Red zone offense?
Maintain drives in the 4th quarter to kill clock?
Cover up the huge hole left by Troy's absence?
Protect Willie Gay?
Cover kickoffs better? (Gave up one big one against the Raiders)
Better in game decisions by Mike Tomlin? (please, take points when you have the chance)

Pappy

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 11:26 AM
our third and long defense is absolutely horrid, it was bad at K.C. and was terrible in baltimore (3rd and 21) and last week it was bad again...
we really need to run the clock more also, our quick strike offense is a blessing but not when we have the defense that we have now....

papillon
12-10-2009, 11:41 AM
our third and long defense is absolutely horrid, it was bad at K.C. and was terrible in baltimore (3rd and 21) and last week it was bad again...
we really need to run the clock more also, our quick strike offense is a blessing but not when we have the defense that we have now....

Unfortunately, those things appear to be a trend this year and not aberrations. The question is can the Steelers somehow correct these things for the next 4 weeks?

Pappy

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 12:00 PM

Unfortunately, those things appear to be a trend this year and not aberrations. The question is can the Steelers somehow correct these things for the next 4 weeks?

Pappy

we just need to put pressure on the qb, if we do that than our secondary will look alot better...

flippy
12-10-2009, 12:06 PM
A reason to be pumped against a really bad team....

papillon
12-10-2009, 12:21 PM

Pappy

we just need to put pressure on the qb, if we do that than our secondary will look alot better...

Even the pressure on the quarterback this year isn't consistent enough to make the DBs job's easier. For the most part Harrison and Woodley have been contained, although, Harrison has had an excellent year. It just doesn't seem as good, because, the team isn't winning as frequently right now.

That, and, Aaron Smith is more important to the pass rush than we realize. He always got a good push inside which would cause linemen to account for him from the inside out and give guys like Harrison and Woodley better opportunity to apply pressure fro mthe outside.

Pappy

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 12:30 PM
i think we realized we took aaron smith for granted after the 2007 season when he was hurt, and if we forgot about how good he truly is, than maybe next year we will remember again, just how good he really is....

ikestops85
12-10-2009, 12:32 PM

Pappy

Even the pressure on the quarterback this year isn't consistent enough to make the DBs job's easier. For the most part Harrison and Woodley have been contained, although, Harrison has had an excellent year. It just doesn't seem as good, because, the team isn't winning as frequently right now.

That, and, Aaron Smith is more important to the pass rush than we realize. He always got a good push inside which would cause linemen to account for him from the inside out and give guys like Harrison and Woodley better opportunity to apply pressure fro mthe outside.

Pappy

I agree with you on Smith. His pressure up the middle used to force the QBs to the outside right into Harrison and Woodley. No having him certainly hurts but it's time for the next guy in line to step up. Eason has done well and even Hood has had a few moments.

papillon
12-10-2009, 01:59 PM

Pappy

Pappy

I agree with you on Smith. His pressure up the middle used to force the QBs to the outside right into Harrison and Woodley. No having him certainly hurts but it's time for the next guy in line to step up. Eason has done well and even Hood has had a few moments.

It not only forces them outside, but, even if they don't move outside, no quarterback likes having pressure in his face.

The secondary really worries me right now. I'm not sure that there is any way to overcome how poorly they are playing right now.

Pappy

SteelAbility
12-10-2009, 02:35 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say that the unleashing of fiery hell was official starting tonight. :twisted: :wink: :moon

papillon
12-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Oh, I thought you were going to say that the unleashing of fiery hell was official starting tonight. :twisted: :wink: :moon

Well, and that too... :moon :tt2

Pappy

NWNewell
12-10-2009, 03:15 PM
The secondary really worries me right now. I'm not sure that there is any way to overcome how poorly they are playing right now.
Pappy

zero degree weather and 25 mph winds. :tt2

(you know there's issues when you think the weather will be your teams biggest asset... provide BA is smarter than Whiz).

costanza2k1
12-10-2009, 03:18 PM
There are 4 games left and they may be the last 4 of the year. I plan on enjoying every minute of each game win or lose. I dread the off season and would rather enjoy what's right with the team than what's wrong with it.

With that being said, the Costanza's Playoff Steelers' Flag is flying outside my house starting today, beers in the fridge (Crown Royal in the 4th), got some chicken and kabobs ready to roll... IT IS ON!