PDA

View Full Version : Short Yardage and Dennis Dixon

flippy
12-09-2009, 04:22 PM
Can we get Dennis Dixon in the mix on some short yardage plays?

For example on the 4th and 1 in the 1st quarter where we decided on the QB keeper, why not bring in Dixon to run that play? Seems like a better idea to risk a blow to Dixon's head than Ben's. Not that I expect anyone to get a concussion. By why not have a wrinkle in our short yardage/goal line?

Even bringing him in a a 3rd and short would put the defense on it's heels. Heck we could probably do very well if we ran just 1 formation (jumbo package) with Wallace running an end around give us 5 plays - 1. Hand it to Wallace, 2. Hand it to Mendy, 3. Run a bootleg, 4. Run a draw, or 5. Pass.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-09-2009, 04:26 PM
Not a bad suggestion. Tomlin, are you listening?

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 04:33 PM
Excellent thoughts. I like the way you think.

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 04:41 PM
yeah having ben go head first for a few inches wouldnt of been my choice of plays. i wish they would use dixon in short yardage or some other situations. why not try the wildcat with dixon?

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
I have no problem with that play call. We needed a half-yard, and 99 times out of 100, Ben could lurch forward for that in his sleep. This time, his foot happened to slip on the turf, throwing off any forward momentum. D.J. Johnson tried pushing him forward before he was called down by contact, but to no avail. Things like that happen sometimes. But I have no problem whatsoever with the decision to go for it, or the play that was called there.

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 04:53 PM
If you are going to QB sneak, why not train one of your LBs or Linemen to take snaps? You get a better push and you keep the risk of injury to star QB down.

MeetJoeGreene
12-09-2009, 05:10 PM
There are 2 reasons we would never do something that imaginative:

Bruce

and

Arians.

sd steel
12-09-2009, 05:14 PM
I still can't figure out why Ben is so bad at running the QB sneak or a screen pass for that matter.

You would think a guy who is 6'5" 240 lbs could create a push, yet he just ducks his head. It is not hard to get a yard. We know the count, and Ben should be able to get it everytime!

As far as the Dixon scenarios, it would be great to have a slash type player, but Tomlin has to make that call. Ben isn't going to make it, and he it's his offense.

cruzer8
12-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I would hate to see Dixon get hurt doing something foolish like that.

Then Ben goes down and we're left with _____.

PSU_dropout43
12-09-2009, 05:53 PM
There are 2 reasons we would never do something that imaginative:

Bruce

and

Arians.
Sorry, this one's on stupid Tomlin.

ikestops85
12-09-2009, 06:34 PM
I agree with Ruthless. I liked the call to go for it and I liked the play call. Ben is a big strong guy and if the O-line gets just a little push he gets the first down. That didn't happen. Why? Bad execution is why. No push and Ben slips.

I think it's kinda ironic that people are complaining about that play call. They want something different. Like what? Maybe running outside. Could you imagine the crap that would be slung Arians way if they went outside and didn't make it? Oh wait, we don't have to imagine. We already know since they tried that with Moore and failed to pick up the first down. What a crappy call.

I'm not an Arians cheerleader but the players have to take some responsibility for failing in key situations. If you have 2 downs to pick up 1 yard and you fail then that is the players fault ... not the coordinators fault. You should be able to announce to the defense what you are running and pick up 1 yard in 2 tries ... at least you should if you were any good.

Right now we are not any good. That has to change immediately if we want to reach the playoffs and that change has to start with the players executing.

feltdizz
12-09-2009, 06:46 PM
I agree with Ruthless. I liked the call to go for it and I liked the play call. Ben is a big strong guy and if the O-line gets just a little push he gets the first down. That didn't happen. Why? Bad execution is why. No push and Ben slips.

I think it's kinda ironic that people are complaining about that play call. They want something different. Like what? Maybe running outside. Could you imagine the crap that would be slung Arians way if they went outside and didn't make it? Oh wait, we don't have to imagine. We already know since they tried that with Moore and failed to pick up the first down. What a crappy call.

I'm not an Arians cheerleader but the players have to take some responsibility for failing in key situations. If you have 2 downs to pick up 1 yard and you fail then that is the players fault ... not the coordinators fault. You should be able to announce to the defense what you are running and pick up 1 yard in 2 tries ... at least you should if you were any good.

Right now we are not any good. That has to change immediately if we want to reach the playoffs and that change has to start with the players executing.

Bashing Arians is the new "Here We Go" chant...

you don't even have to know the names of the players on our team.. just Bash BA and you are a true steeler fan.

remember though.. it's situational play calling so... in any situation where we succeed it's all Ben.. and in any situation where we fail its all BA.

BURGH86STEEL
12-09-2009, 10:47 PM
I have no problem with that play call. We needed a half-yard, and 99 times out of 100, Ben could lurch forward for that in his sleep. This time, his foot happened to slip on the turf, throwing off any forward momentum. D.J. Johnson tried pushing him forward before he was called down by contact, but to no avail. Things like that happen sometimes. But I have no problem whatsoever with the decision to go for it, or the play that was called there.

I thought they should had kicked the FG. In any event, that's not what won or loss the game for the team.

The same people that scream Dennis Dixon should be in on short yardage are the same people that will scream it's to predictable when he enters the game.

flippy
12-10-2009, 07:30 AM

my beef with the call was our QB is coming off a concussion. i thought we need to be careful with his head.

and the way the raiders were bunched up on that play, a pitch to the left to Mendy woulda scored.

i have no problem with the play call if the QB doesn't have a concussion issue.

JTP53609
12-10-2009, 08:33 AM
i agree with ruthless, i did not mind the call, sometimes the players actually dont get it done, no matter how much you want to blame B.A., if we would have called a run and had it stuffed, or run a pitch to the outside for a loss than we would be complaining "why no qb sneak", it was unsuccesful and I think we should of kicked the FG because if you cannot convert on 3rd and 1 than dont even try it on 4th and less than 1...just kick at that point of the game..

on a side note, with the athletic sepulvada placing field goals, I would just once want to see a fake (that would have not been a bad time to try) we know he can run and based on the fake at St.Louis 2 years ago we know he can throw too...I know it is extreme but I have seen way to many chip shot field goals where the defense is just farting around with little intensity...

stlrz d
12-10-2009, 09:06 AM
This is NOT a hindsight post: at the time I wanted them to kick the FG.

Honestly. I was pissed that they didn't.

With the way the D has been playing we need any points we can get whenever we can get them.

steelblood
12-10-2009, 10:01 AM
You want to bring in a 195 lbs. QB off the bench for 4th and 1 to replace a 240-250 lbs QB? I think Dixon could be used. But, that was probably not the best situation for him.

NYPDSTEEL
12-10-2009, 03:51 PM
the reason why Ben is not that great on the qb sneaks is that you have to wait a second or two and allow the lineman to engage . Then you push forward trying to finding the soft behind your center-guard. A lot of qb's go immediately i don't think that is the right way to run the sneak.

flippy
12-10-2009, 03:58 PM
You want to bring in a 195 lbs. QB off the bench for 4th and 1 to replace a 240-250 lbs QB? I think Dixon could be used. But, that was probably not the best situation for him.

Maybe Dixon could squeeze through a smaller hole? And maybe he's quicker?