PDA

View Full Version : We Need Some Situational Coaching

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 03:35 PM
I just saw the replay of the Raiders game on NFLN. I missed the game as I was on the road travelling. Well, good grief, I didn't realize Joe Burnett had an easy INT right into his chest. It looked to me like he was thinking a bit about making a play after the catch. This just in, making the catch IS the play. That was inexcusable. Weeks of hard work could be (and likely will be) lost because of players not understanding the simplest of situations.

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 03:46 PM
I just saw the replay of the Raiders game on NFLN. I missed the game as I was on the road travelling. Well, good grief, I didn't realize Joe Burnett had an easy INT right into his chest. It looked to me like he was thinking a bit about making a play after the catch. This just in, making the catch IS the play. That was inexcusable. Weeks of hard work could be (and likely will be) lost because of players not understanding the simplest of situations.

if burnett didnt know that catching that pass would end the game then he shouldnt be playing in the nfl. it was an awful drop but i would be shocked if he did not know that

steelsnis
12-09-2009, 03:53 PM
I have a difficult time attributing that drop to any lack of "coaching."

Looked to me that he made a great break on the ball but let it get into his body and it bounced off his pads.

Let's hope that's an aberration and not the norm like Ike.

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 03:55 PM
i too missed the last 1 minute of the game (thanks to my dvr) and I also watched the replay on NFLN last night, good grief, I am with you, I had no idea it was actually as easy an interception as there is football. I just heard all week that he should of picked it off, but my goodness, to have a ball go right through your hands and down your jersey is just inexcusable...It did look like he was trying to make a play before he even caught it, I lost sleep over it last night...i could not believe that, between ike taylor's easy drop in OT at K.C. and burnetts gift drop at oakland we are looking at some horrible hands in the secondary, maybe the worst of any groupe I have seen including the local pee wee team :stirpot ..

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 04:20 PM

if burnett didnt know that catching that pass would end the game then he shouldnt be playing in the nfl. it was an awful drop but i would be shocked if he did not know that

I'm sure Burnett knew that the INT would end the game. I watched it several times. It totally looked like he was looking around as though to pick the best running path after the ball. I guess my point is that he was trying to give "value added" when all that did, really, was to give the opponent chance. It seems like players try to make plays either when a play really isn't there or when a play IS NOT NECESSARY. GEEEEEEEEZ!!~!!

steelsnis
12-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Does the name Richard Shelton ring a bell?

1992, Cowher's first season as head coach, the Steelers played the Bills in the playoffs. Pittsburgh had gone 11-5 in the regular season and got Buffalo in Three Rivers. This was the all-powerful Bills of the early 90's that had the explosive offense and awesome defense.

Anyway, third quarter, Bills lead 7-3 and are driving down the field in Steelers territory. Woodson was out w/a concussion and the backup (sammy walker??) was getting torched. Cowher yanked him and put in Shelton.

Frank Reich threw a horrible pass (what would be later referred to as an "O'Donnell") that literally hit Richard Shelton in his hands and chest. Reich even said after the game that he didn't even run to try and chase Shelton because it would have been an easy 85 yards, completely un-touched into the endzone for an TD.

He dropped it. Next play, Reich throws a TD to James Lofton and Buffalo leads 14-3 instead of trailing 10-7, and go on to win the game.

Opportunities like that happen every single game. Good teams find a way to take advantage of those opportunities. Last year we did, this year we have yet to do so.

Let's just hope it's not too late.

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 04:23 PM
i too missed the last 1 minute of the game (thanks to my dvr) and I also watched the replay on NFLN last night, good grief, I am with you, I had no idea it was actually as easy an interception as there is football. I just heard all week that he should of picked it off, but my goodness, to have a ball go right through your hands and down your jersey is just inexcusable...It did look like he was trying to make a play before he even caught it, I lost sleep over it last night...i could not believe that, between ike taylor's easy drop in OT at K.C. and burnetts gift drop at oakland we are looking at some horrible hands in the secondary, maybe the worst of any groupe I have seen including the local pee wee team :stirpot ..

There is no stirring of the pot with that statement. I think we can all fully see how true it is.

flippy
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
At least Burnett broke up a pass which is not something anyone else did much of that game.

The only other excuse I could come up with is he did just come off the bench on a very cold day and that could have impacted the miss.

SteelAbility
12-09-2009, 04:30 PM
I have a difficult time attributing that drop to any lack of "coaching."

Looked to me that he made a great break on the ball but let it get into his body and it bounced off his pads.

Let's hope that's an aberration and not the norm like Ike.

I guess I differ. A well-coached player shouldn't be thinking about anything other than securing the ball in that situation. The thought should not even enter the mind for an instant.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 04:44 PM
It was the play right after the Gay concussion, and therefore Burnett's first play taking his place on a meaningful defensive snap in his NFL career. I'd imagine his nerves had his stomach in knots and full of butterflies, but he still managed to make a better break on the ball than any CB on our team in the past month or so. It should have been an easy catch, but I'll attribute the drop to rookie jitters from a guy coming in cold off the bench. I think Burnett will be a playmaker for us in the secondary in time.

stlrz d
12-10-2009, 12:42 AM
Not to rain on the Burnett "break on the ball" parade, but in his PC, Grad said the play was a miscommunication. He threw it under the DB and the WR went over the DB.

SteelAbility
12-10-2009, 09:48 AM
It was the play right after the Gay concussion, and therefore Burnett's first play taking his place on a meaningful defensive snap in his NFL career. I'd imagine his nerves had his stomach in knots and full of butterflies, but he still managed to make a better break on the ball than any CB on our team in the past month or so. It should have been an easy catch, but I'll attribute the drop to rookie jitters from a guy coming in cold off the bench. I think Burnett will be a playmaker for us in the secondary in time.

I don't think I'm as forgiving as you. First, you're a professional. Second, the ball is in your chest. Third, it didn't have a lot of pace and hence you had plenty of time to measure it. Fourth, the situation is so F!#$!%!$!#$ing simple. If all of your focus is on securing the ball, then your brain isn't processing anything other than that. You may bobble it, but since all of your focus is on securing the catch you will eventually hall it in. Fifth, there is no opposing team member near you to harrass the catch. Sixth, your body language shows that you are thinking run after the catch. To what F*!@#$*!@#$ing advantage? Running after the catch only opens the door up for a fumble. It's time to play to WIN the game first. Making flashy plays is a luxury you can ill-afford when you're 6-5 and your margin of error is near zero.