PDA

View Full Version : Salary Cap

drprwnap
12-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Good article (I think) on the current salary cap.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... e-steelers (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2009/12/9/1192678/a-closer-look-at-the-steelers)

Oviedo
12-09-2009, 03:42 PM
Excellent read. As I have said before if you keep a core of about 20 vets you had better have some real young players ready to step in. I think we will see about 8 rookies on the team every year to balance out the cap.

Unless the Steelers are willing to take a profit hit in the uncapped year next year I don't expect Hampton, Clark or Reed to return unless they get tagged. Most troubling is losing a NT with no replacement on the roster. Colon will be the priority resign this off season like Max last year.

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 03:50 PM
watching the replay of the raider game, I thought Clark was not as horrible as i thought, he messed up on the 75 yd td thinking it was a bootleg, but other than that he played okay, and usually I am not the biggest fan of his, but he will be gone along with hampton, perhaps reed stays only if he takes le$$

Oviedo
12-09-2009, 04:08 PM
watching the replay of the raider game, I thought Clark was not as horrible as i thought, he messed up on the 75 yd td thinking it was a bootleg, but other than that he played okay, and usually I am not the biggest fan of his, but he will be gone along with hampton, perhaps reed stays only if he takes le$$

Reed needs to be prepared to take less because the organization usually doesn't increase an offer for someone who rejected them as Reed did before the season.

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 04:11 PM

Reed needs to be prepared to take less because the organization usually doesn't increase an offer for someone who rejected them as Reed did before the season.

and that is if we even take him back....he does often make kicks when we need him but i think we could get someone for much le$$ who can kick it through the uprights...I said before that with the pirates just signing bobby crosby to be their short stop, i say lets go after mason crosby, not only for his kicking ablilities but to have 3 crosbys in the burgh

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
Excellent read. As I have said before if you keep a core of about 20 vets you had better have some real young players ready to step in. I think we will see about 8 rookies on the team every year to balance out the cap.

Unless the Steelers are willing to take a profit hit in the uncapped year next year I don't expect Hampton, Clark or Reed to return unless they get tagged. Most troubling is losing a NT with no replacement on the roster. Colon will be the priority resign this off season like Max last year.

i think the steelers have to tag hampton for that very reason, unless they can find a cheap stop gap kinda player like hartwig but a 3-4 NT isnt as easy to find as a center is. they will definetly make colon the #1 priority in the offseason

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 04:16 PM
It is interesting to note that 5 guys whose contracts are expiring after this season are taking up $17.86 million worth of cap room that will be off the books next season (Hampton $6.6 million, Parker $4.53 million, Clark $2.4 million, Townsend $2.37 million, and Reed $1.96 million). Plus figure that we get another $5 million or so in savings with the Simmons contract off the books, and things are looking better in terms of being able to extend the contracts of guys like Holmes, Woodley, and Colon.

aggiebones
12-09-2009, 05:04 PM
Yes, some of it is true. But I don't 'totally' buy the part about we cut Madison and Foote totally because of cap problems. Frankly, Madison has a nice skill on ST, but CBs are rather important in football and they must believe they have a higher ceiling than Madison. You don't dump them for a STs ace. You hope they develop into stars at CB and in the meantime, hope they can help on STs, which they maybe aren't doing.

Foote is similar. They believe Timmons has a higher ceiling and they are probably correct. This is especially when you consider another season or two, when Foote is about done and Timmons is still climbing in theory. If they were at all close going into this season, then they made the correct call.

stlrz d
12-10-2009, 12:44 AM

and that is if we even take him back....he does often make kicks when we need him but i think we could get someone for much le$$ who can kick it through the uprights...I said before that with the pirates just signing bobby crosby to be their short stop, i say lets go after mason crosby, not only for his kicking ablilities but to have 3 crosbys in the burgh

Dude has been struggling mightily. Packers fans do not like him at all.