PDA

View Full Version : Fine line between winning and losing in this league

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2009, 10:58 AM
One of the biggest differences between winning and losing in the NFL is injuries. Take a look at SD.

Last year they finished a pedestrian 8-8 after losing Merriman in week 1. Incidentally, that is the same week that Brady went down to much more fanfare, but losing Merriman had at least as big an affect on the Chargers as the Brady loss had on NE.

This year the Bolts are 9-3, looking strong, and challenging for the #2 seed in the AFC.

We have played most of this season without Troy or Aaron Smith. While Smith is on IR and seemingly forgotten, he is a key component to this D. To make things worse, the replacements are Tyrone Carter, Ryan Mundy, Nick Eason, Ziggy Hood.....and Kirschke when he is not hurt.

I'm not making excuses, I'm not saying that we should not have beaten KC, Oakland, Cincy (twice), or Chicago. I'm simply pointing out the reality that we are a much better team with those two players in the lineup, and probably do not suffer those same 6 losses by a grand total of 21 points.

Five of our losses were by three points! The other by six. Last year were 6-2 in games decided by a TD. This year we are 1-5 in games decided by three or less, 1-6 in games decided by 6 or less. Get the picture? We are easily a Troy/Smith away from battling for the 2 spot. Healthy and we compete - injured and we fold. Let us hope that when injuries hit us next year they will not be in positions where our backups create as big a drop off.

NWNewell
12-09-2009, 11:55 AM
No doubt.

They won't make us light the field on fire. The Steelers have more problems that just injuries. I don't know that they instantly give us the Division title.

But I guarantee you we would have a respectable record, something like 8-4, and we'd be in control of our own destiny for making the playoffs.

And with them in the line-up and the Steelers suffering a few less debacles, perhaps their play is a bit more confident, players keep to their own assignments and don't over extend themselves as much, and maybe scrape together another win.

There is a fine line between the Steelers being 5-7 and them being 9-3 if you ask me (about 3 points per game... maybe one defensive play per game, or offensive play for that matter). Having a health Troy and Arron probably push use pretty close to a 9-3 record.

Maybe not a sexy 9-3 record, but a good record none the less.

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
if i could have one thing for christmas i would like to go back to time to the titan game and have troy polamalu sit out the field goal attempt that was blocked....where would our season be if that play never happened, heck i wish the titans would of scored a touchdown instead of miss the FG