PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' OLB to teammates: 'Do your job'

fordfixer
12-09-2009, 03:05 AM
Steelers' OLB to teammates: 'Do your job'

By Scott Brown, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Wednesday, December 9, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56815.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_656815.html)

As coach Mike Tomlin ponders change, several Steelers said the key to snapping a four-game losing streak may lie in something as simple as players not overextending themselves.

And outside linebacker James Harrison had a message for whoever is playing defense for the Steelers on Thursday night in Cleveland.

"Do your job, and after you did your job, then you can help your partner," said Harrison, one of the Steelers' defensive co-captains. "But don't worry about helping your partner until you do your job. If you don't do your part, then the defense breaks down. If you take care of your part and the other 10 guys do the same thing, then we should be fine."

If the Steelers weren't in such a dire situation they almost certainly have to win their last four games to make the playoffs they might able to appreciate the irony: Freelancing has evidently become an issue while the player most associated with that style, strong safety Troy Polamalu, is sidelined with a knee injury.

The perception that some players are trying to do too much may be a result of the struggles the defense has experienced late in games.

The Steelers are fifth in the NFL in total defense (297.3 yards per game), but they are giving up just over an average of 105 yards in the fourth quarter this season. Of the six games the Steelers have lost, they had fourth-quarter leads in five of them.

"When you're put in these situations over and over again and keep coming up short, I think guys tend to press," said inside linebacker James Farrior, who is also a defensive captain. "It's just human nature to try to do more, to try to get better, try to help somebody out, but in actuality, it sometimes hurts you even worse."

Casey Hampton agreed.

"I think guys have been pressing a little too much, trying to do too much, and that's not us," the veteran nose tackle said. "We pride ourselves on being an unselfish defense, and everybody just taking care of their job and not trying to make plays that's not your play to make. I think when we do that, we'll be OK."

The Steelers are mired in their worst losing streak since 2003, and they are in enough of a funk that Tomlin said earlier this week he is considering shaking up the team.

Tomlin said the Steelers want to take a long look at rookie cornerbacks Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis. What that means for starters Ike Taylor and William Gay remains to be seen.

Gay practiced yesterday despite sustaining a concussion late Sunday, and he could play against the Browns. Taylor, meanwhile, got a tad defensive when asked how he would react if he had to accept a reduced role.

"There ain't nothing I can do but just keep playing football," said Taylor, who lost his starting job in 2006. "We're going to get criticized, regardless of what we do."

Asked if he expects to start in Thursday's 8:20 p.m. game, Taylor said, "No question."

There didn't appear to be much questioning inside a subdued locker room yesterday of Tomlin's decision to at least consider making major changes.

"He's the head man. He's got decisions to make, and we're trying to win some games around here," defensive end Brett Keisel said. "We're trying to win a game. You can't fault him for trying to do that."

Hampton said Tomlin struck the right tone when he said Monday that he was re-evaluating all aspects of the Steelers, including the makeup of the team's starting lineup.

"I think guys definitely need to be challenged," Hampton said. "I believe in the coach, and I think he's going to put the 11 guys out there that are going to give us the best opportunity to win."

Free safety Ryan Clark said he hopes the players that have been starting in the secondary get the opportunity to turn things around. But, Clark added, "They don't pay us to compete. They don't pay us to keep it close. They pay us to win football games, and when you don't win football games, they try to figure out why."

JAR
12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
The team needs a voice on defense. Say what you will about peezy, but he got this defense fired up. Foote is a huge loss too, not so much as a player, but as the loud mouth who got the D fired up. The defense needs a new trash talker.

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 09:23 AM
The team needs a voice on defense. Say what you will about peezy, but he got this defense fired up. Foote is a huge loss too, not so much as a player, but as the loud mouth who got the D fired up. The defense needs a new trash talker.

i love peezey and always will but the steelers dont need a trash talker to play better on defense. if any nfl player isnt fired up to play all of the time they should get a new job. all that rah rah pep talk and trash talk doesnt win games

JAR
12-09-2009, 09:40 AM

i love peezey and always will but the steelers dont need a trash talker to play better on defense. if any nfl player isnt fired up to play all of the time they should get a new job. all that rah rah pep talk and trash talk doesnt win games

Funny though how the D has struggled this year without either.

stlrz d
12-09-2009, 10:00 AM
Jimmy Hate tellin' it like it is.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2009, 10:24 AM

And without Troy or Aaron Smith.

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 10:27 AM

yeah but last year's defense was the best steeler defense i have ever seen yet they didnt have a player like porter

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 10:33 AM
in 2007 we lost aaron smith for the year in early december...for the 5 games we played without him our defense was putrid..being without him and polamalu is like being without Ben and Miller on offense...I think if both of them were in we would be good, but it is kind of hard to compare last years defense with any defense....

but just remember this tidbit...last year our DEFENSE blew leads late in games against the Giants and Colts, so this stuff does happen but it has happened way to much this year.....

NC Steeler Fan
12-09-2009, 11:00 AM
I am so glad to hear these comments from our players.

It means they haven't given up.

It means they are watching tape and can SEE the problems they
need to fix.

Now, all they have to do is remember this on the field...

JAR
12-09-2009, 11:08 AM

yeah but last year's defense was the best steeler defense i have ever seen yet they didnt have a player like porter

But they had Foote, who was a smack talker, firer upper, motivator. I'm not saying that their absence is the reason, it's more a Troy/Smith missing problem. But the D just doesn't seem to play with the fire it used to.

Steeler Mafia
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
People say we miss Troy on Defense and that is why we are playing like we are. Although we do miss Troy being on the field, I belive that Arron Smith is the biggest loss. Much like the last time he missed games a few years ago, when he is out, the D starts to crumble. He helps contol the line and people have to account for him. When that happens, things free up for Harrison and Woodly to put big pressure on the QB. That in turn sort of hides our definciencies at the corners. We have good corners, but they aren't great corners. When either Troy or Arron are on the field, they look good. However when both Troy and Arron are on the field, they look even better.

We have some players up in age and should look to draft their replacements, but after taking the time to rationally think about our defensive woes, I came to the conclusion that we are not as bad as we would originally think. Injuries have really caused most of our problems on D and exposed our weaker areas.

NWNewell
12-09-2009, 11:42 AM
if any nfl player isnt fired up to play all of the time they should get a new job.

Really? Ever played a competitive sport at a high level? I guarantee you that you do not give 100% all day every day at your job. if you think you do, you are kidding yourself. Just go ask you boss. Should you look for a new job? Of course not. Because it's not practically possible. If you boss or a co-worker comes by and lights a fire under your ass, I'm sure you get a little more motivation than you other wise had alone.

Every human being goes through emotional highs and lows.... adrenaline ebb and flows... it's natural. It's tough to stay up for a full 60 minutes every single Sunday.

Sometimes people need that outside catalyst.

You shouldn't down play the importance personnel that can be that catalyst.

No I'm not saying it needs to be a trash talker like JP. That was part of how he got it done. But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

SuperSize
12-09-2009, 12:39 PM
I am glad Harrison spoke up, his message is EXACTLY what this defense needs to hear. I sure hope they are hearing it from the coaches, too. In my opinion, after developing a scheme, this is a coordinators MOST IMORTANT RESONSIBILTY, making sure everyone's doing what they are supposed to do.

When I got my first job out of college, I was a front line supervisor for a nationwide trucking company. I was full of enthusiasm and green as grass. I'll never forget one morning the VP of Operations was touring our facility, so I was running around re-arranging the loads so that they would be "easier" to unload at the next destination. The problem was that in doing this, I was wasting some available space for additional freight. When the VP got to my section of the dock, I proudly showed him how I was going to improve our productivity at the next destination by loading the freight in a user-friendly manner for the next station. He looked at me, looked at the loads, and asked me if I knew where the company saved more revenue, on dock productivity or on load factor? I said I wasn't sure, and without telling me which was more important, he just ate my a$$ about not following MY procedures. He explained to me IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that I was to do my job as best as I possible could, AND TO COUNT ON THE GUY AT THE NEXT DESTINATION TO DO HIS JOB.

The point of this little anecdote is that after some investigation on my part, I found out that load factor was the most critical aspect of our profitability. My VP taught me at that moment that everyone has a job, and only if everyone does THEIR job to the best of their abilities can the overall plan work. Once everybody meets their responsibilities, the manager (or coordinator in this case) can then identify either weak links in the personnel or weak links in the scheme. If everyone is free-lanceing, or even a few guys are, it is next to impossible to fix problems, because you can't identify the root cause.

Here is my shout out to the Steelers, both on offense & defense, just follow your assignment, execute the best you can, and then go back to the huddle without any stupid dances, motions, finger pointing, or any other infantile behavior that is so prevalent. It looks ridiculous when your winning, and idiotic when your losing.

Time to sack up...we'll find out if these are the professionals Tomlin says they are, or a bunch of guys running out the string and cashing their checks.

Pete

papillon
12-09-2009, 02:17 PM
I am glad Harrison spoke up, his message is EXACTLY what this defense needs to hear. I sure hope they are hearing it from the coaches, too. In my opinion, after developing a scheme, this is a coordinators MOST IMORTANT RESONSIBILTY, making sure everyone's doing what they are supposed to do.

When I got my first job out of college, I was a front line supervisor for a nationwide trucking company. I was full of enthusiasm and green as grass. I'll never forget one morning the VP of Operations was touring our facility, so I was running around re-arranging the loads so that they would be "easier" to unload at the next destination. The problem was that in doing this, I was wasting some available space for additional freight. When the VP got to my section of the dock, I proudly showed him how I was going to improve our productivity at the next destination by loading the freight in a user-friendly manner for the next station. He looked at me, looked at the loads, and asked me if I knew where the company saved more revenue, on dock productivity or on load factor? I said I wasn't sure, and without telling me which was more important, he just ate my a$$ about not following MY procedures. He explained to me IN NO UNCERTAIN TERMS that I was to do my job as best as I possible could, AND TO COUNT ON THE GUY AT THE NEXT DESTINATION TO DO HIS JOB.

The point of this little anecdote is that after some investigation on my part, I found out that load factor was the most critical aspect of our profitability. My VP taught me at that moment that everyone has a job, and only if everyone does THEIR job to the best of their abilities can the overall plan work. Once everybody meets their responsibilities, the manager (or coordinator in this case) can then identify either weak links in the personnel or weak links in the scheme. If everyone is free-lanceing, or even a few guys are, it is next to impossible to fix problems, because you can't identify the root cause.

Here is my shout out to the Steelers, both on offense & defense, just follow your assignment, execute the best you can, and then go back to the huddle without any stupid dances, motions, finger pointing, or any other infantile behavior that is so prevalent. It looks ridiculous when your winning, and idiotic when your losing.

Time to sack up...we'll find out if these are the professionals Tomlin says they are, or a bunch of guys running out the string and cashing their checks.

Pete

He also taught you that you shouldn't try to make things better, more efficient or more cost effective, all you did after that day was perform your job lockstep, one task after another and never deviated. He effectively eliminated any potential benefits of thought from one of his employees, I'm not sure the VP made a wise decision that day.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 02:33 PM

They aren't missing a mouth that roars.

On the contrary, they are missing two of the most soft-spoken, humble guys on the team, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. If those two guys were in the lineup instead of Carter and Eason, our defense would be actually be trash-talking less, and performing more.

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
if any nfl player isnt fired up to play all of the time they should get a new job.

Really? Ever played a competitive sport at a high level? I guarantee you that you do not give 100% all day every day at your job. if you think you do, you are kidding yourself. Just go ask you boss. Should you look for a new job? Of course not. Because it's not practically possible. If you boss or a co-worker comes by and lights a fire under your bad word, I'm sure you get a little more motivation than you other wise had alone.

Every human being goes through emotional highs and lows.... adrenaline ebb and flows... it's natural. It's tough to stay up for a full 60 minutes every single Sunday.

Sometimes people need that outside catalyst.

You shouldn't down play the importance personnel that can be that catalyst.

No I'm not saying it needs to be a trash talker like JP. That was part of how he got it done. But there is more than one way to skin a cat.

i played division 3 baseball and i did give 110% all the time. i dont at work because its not sports. anything a person is passionate in they should give 110% ALL THE TIME. they play football for a living so they shouldnt need extra motivation. if i was good enough to play in the minors i would be ecstatic and give it all i got every day and thats minor leauge baseball im talking about. cant imagine having the honor to make good money playing a sport

feltdizz
12-09-2009, 03:14 PM

They aren't missing a mouth that roars.

On the contrary, they are missing two of the most soft-spoken, humble guys on the team, Troy Polamalu and Aaron Smith. If those two guys were in the lineup instead of Carter and Eason, our defense would be actually be trash-talking less, and performing more.

Bingo... I bet half the communication break downs are due to Ike and Carter talking trash instead of listening to the play called. I also think Troy knows most of our sets before Farrior and Lebeau

SuperSize
12-09-2009, 06:47 PM

Pete

He also taught you that you shouldn't try to make things better, more efficient or more cost effective, all you did after that day was perform your job lockstep, one task after another and never deviated. He effectively eliminated any potential benefits of thought from one of his employees, I'm not sure the VP made a wise decision that day.

Pappy

Man, that's awesome that you know what he taught me that day, and you not even being there! And you even know how I performed my job after that, too!

FYI, what I learned (& what our current Steelers need to learn or re-learn) is that they have a specific role to play, a specific duty to meet for each specific play. The time to examine "potential benefits of thought" is not any time you feel like it, but after you understand your role, and everyone else's role, and you understand the consequences of failing to meet your obligation. Like I said, I went on to investigate all of the data to gain a greater & more complete understanding which would allow me the opportunity to make more educated decisions in the future.

The VP made a good decision with me that day, he opened my mind to understand the SIMPLEST thing first, and he hoped that I would build on that. Our guys (Taylor, Clark, Carter, Timmons, etc.) need to go back to the SIMPLE parts now & like Deebo said, just DO THEIR JOB.

Pete

NC Steeler Fan
12-10-2009, 10:32 AM
Wow, this thread has all sorts of inspirational thoughts in it. From points
made to rebuttals....this is great football talk if you ask me. :D

Um, don't mind me though, I'm just here for window dressing... :lol: