PDA

View Full Version : Was anyone else saddned to see

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 10:03 PM
that pitch out to McFadden? That play was a staple of our offense for so many years (whether it was Freddie Mac or V Haynes running it) and it seems like it could be so successful with any of our tail backs (Mendy, Parker or Moore).

I would so love to see that play put back in our playbook.

Heck, they could even expand on it. Trips to one side, Ben fakes the bubble screen pass to the WR, turns back the other way and pitches it to a back who is "blocking the blind side" for the pass.

BATMAN
12-08-2009, 10:33 PM
Dude ! my exact thoughts when I saw that play. I thought to myself, " I remember when we used to run that play, break their spirit with that play. "
That was the play that told the defenses, " we ran one way until you finally stepped up to it, we ran that way and you finally stepped up to it, we are running the above mentioned now eat your heart out, you can't stop a steam rolling offense machine. "

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 11:12 PM
I've actually been whining about missing that play in our arsenal since the trib days...but seeing it used against us effectively was like ripping open an old wound. :(

steelsnis
12-09-2009, 12:09 AM
That play was about the only one that Amos Zeroue could run effectively. Baltimore ran it last week against us too. Bastards...

stlrz d
12-09-2009, 12:43 AM
That play was about the only one that Amos Zeroue could run effectively. Baltimore ran it last week against us too. Bastards...

Right and right...I forgot about both of those!

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 08:38 AM
mendy could make stuff happen if we did that....

mendy reminds me of a much more skilled veron haynes, same build/size, just faster and better...

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2009, 10:13 AM
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that play most effective when you utilize your fullback a bit more on the run in short yardage. I don't think we do that enough to fool the defense in forgetting about the running back breaking out to either side. I too loved that pay when we ran it though.

Iron Shiek
12-09-2009, 01:07 PM
When I saw that play all I could think of was Chris Johnson running for a TD last year. We have trouble defending it at times...

Mister Pittsburgh
12-09-2009, 01:15 PM
Please. This would entail Bruce Arians to actually think. Not possible. We can't add any new plays or wrinkles to this offense he came up with 21 years ago while coaching the NCAA powerhouse, Temple Owls.

ikestops85
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM
It sounds like we all loved that play. I think it was a Mularky staple but I could be wrong. The key to it is getting the DE or LB to take just one step towards the misdirection and they are then beaten around the edge by the RB.

It would work better with a FB in so he can lead to one side which the QB turns toward. I don't know if we could run it on those bunch WR passes we throw. Anyway, it would be great if it were added to our arsenal. What the hell am I thinking ... Our OC doesn't seem to like to add plays that work to the arsenal. :HeadBanger

Mister Pittsburgh
12-09-2009, 01:55 PM
It sounds like we all loved that play. I think it was a Mularky staple but I could be wrong. The key to it is getting the DE or LB to take just one step towards the misdirection and they are then beaten around the edge by the RB.

It would work better with a FB in so he can lead to one side which the QB turns toward. I don't know if we could run it on those bunch WR passes we throw. Anyway, it would be great if it were added to our arsenal. What the hell am I thinking ... Our OC doesn't seem to like to add plays that work to the arsenal. :HeadBanger

Not only does he not add plays that work, I swear he removes ones that work like he is saving them for a big moment......but he never brings them back.

I am not kidding last year I kept telling myself they were holding back for the playoffs.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 02:00 PM
There was one play that we used a couple of games ago where, if I recall correctly, we had Mendenhall and Moore in the backfield at the same time, and we did a successful pitchout to Moore (not exactly the same play as this, but it was the most creative run we have called in some time if you don't count the Dixon TD run, since that was designed to be a pass to Mewelde instead of a run, but Dixon kept it to himself when he saw the open lane down the sideline toward the end zone).

cruzer8
12-09-2009, 03:17 PM
correct me if I am wrong, but isn't that play most effective when you utilize your fullback a bit more on the run in short yardage. I don't think we do that enough to fool the defense in forgetting about the running back breaking out to either side. I too loved that pay when we ran it though.

Not necessarily. The TB makes a counter move (like he is following the fullback) and then goes the other direction for the pitch. I love this play too and wish it would come back to us.

feltdizz
12-09-2009, 03:21 PM
BA could call that play.. score a TD and as soon as the D blew another lead we would call BA an idiot.

Oviedo
12-09-2009, 03:45 PM
BA could call that play.. score a TD and as soon as the D blew another lead we would call BA an idiot.

true

ANPSTEEL
12-09-2009, 04:51 PM

true

but accurate

BURGH86STEEL
12-09-2009, 11:04 PM
that pitch out to McFadden? That play was a staple of our offense for so many years (whether it was Freddie Mac or V Haynes running it) and it seems like it could be so successful with any of our tail backs (Mendy, Parker or Moore).

Heck, they could even expand on it. Trips to one side, Ben fakes the bubble screen pass to the WR, turns back the other way and pitches it to a back who is "blocking the blind side" for the pass.

They ran a pitch play in OT to MM on 3rd and 2 against the Chiefs. It was a play the Steelers did not run all game. They loss yards on the play. A lot of fans called the OC an idiot for running that play. I guess some people like the pitch and some don't.

I believe running that pitch play consistently in the NFL is difficult because of the speed of every player.

stlrz d
12-10-2009, 01:02 AM

They ran a pitch play in OT to MM on 3rd and 2 against the Chiefs. It was a play the Steelers did not run all game. They loss yards on the play. A lot of fans called the OC an idiot for running that play. I guess some people like the pitch and some don't.

I believe running that pitch play consistently in the NFL is difficult because of the speed of every player.

They ran a straight pitch to MM. It wasn't that misdirectional pitch out that we ran with success for years.