PDA

View Full Version : Easy to forget

BigRob
12-08-2009, 09:36 PM
Mendy has only now played (significant time) in 16 regular season games. He is only going to get better.

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 10:09 PM
I'm watching the replay of the game on NFLN right now. Mendy's TD run was an outstanding individual effort. The Raiders had that all bottled up and he kept the play alive until he could "roll" to the outside and get into the EZ.

I lmao at all the folks who had him labeled a bust already. We got a keeper in him for sure.

papillon
12-08-2009, 10:24 PM
I'm watching the replay of the game on NFLN right now. Mendy's TD run was an outstanding individual effort. The Raiders had that all bottled up and he kept the play alive until he could "roll" to the outside and get into the EZ.

I lmao at all the folks who had him labeled a bust already. We got a keeper in him for sure.

Same with Sweed if everyone will just give him a chance. I refuse to believe that he's forgotten how to catch the football since he graduated from Texas.

Pappy

BATMAN
12-08-2009, 10:39 PM

Same with Sweed if everyone will just give him a chance. I refuse to believe that he's forgotten how to catch the football since he graduated from Texas.

Pappy

Now I heard that not having good hands was a weakness he had in college. Don't know myself but, just what I have heard.. The way he plays, I'd have to agree at this point.
Tomlin wasn't exactly spitting nickles that he didn't catch the Hail Mary pass at the end of the game. He said it shouldn't have come down to that but, he also allowed us to know, Tomlin thought he should have caught the ball or at least tried harder.

From the first time I saw Mendenhall make his first couple of nice runs in his rookie season, I thought he was going to improve greatly.
I thought Sweed would have too but soon came of the opinion, he will always be hit and miss with the miss more of a better description.

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 11:15 PM

Pappy

I agree. The kid just needs a chance to get some real PT, imo. I guess we'll see against the Browns since Hines can't go. Sweed should be the #3 since Wallace will get the start. We run a lot of 3 WR sets...unless Arians changes it up and gets Spaeth involved instead of a 3rd WR.

Jooser
12-08-2009, 11:36 PM
I think that more pitches to the outside on GL situations definitely plays into Mendy's strengths. I'd like to see more of that instead of the old up the gut routine all the time. The McFadden pitch that stlrz d mentioned in another thread would be great in that scenario.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 11:48 PM

Pappy

Perhaps he could have a career path similar to Saints WR Robert Meachem. He was considered to be a first round bust with no contibution in his rookie year whatsoever, and only 12 catches through two years in the league. However, in this, his 3rd season, he has 8 TD's (including stealing the ball away from the defender after a turnover and running that back for a TD...clutch play).

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 09:15 AM
not only do we have a fine running back on our hands, but I believe we have an emerging superstar in R. Mendenhall, the best thing is like you said, he has only played in 15 games (if you dont count the cincy game)...
I still have faith in Sweed, if he would have somehow caught that hail mary than his confidence and instant celebrity (albeit for one game) would be high....

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 09:21 AM
i recall another play from the raiders game mendy was initially stopped at the LOS but he made a spin move shed a defender and picked up a few yards. mendy is getting better and better every game. he has even improved in protecting the ball. we have a future stud at RB that is for sure

JTP53609
12-09-2009, 09:29 AM
what gets me is that he had 103 yds on 20 carries, but alot of people are saying he picked up 60 yds on one carry so if you factor that out than he had 19 carries for 43 yds....well i say, those 43 yds he got, he had a 3 yd t.d, and i remember him picking up 2 first downs on short distances also...he is looking very good indeed and there are some people who feel a little dumb for labeling him a bust after playing in only 3 regular season games before this season....

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2009, 09:51 AM

Pappy

Sorry to disagree, pappy (we usually agree on things) but Sweed and Mendenhall are apples and oranges. Mendenhall showed us a lot in training came last season, and minus a fumbling problem which he has seemed to remedy, there was very little chance he was going top be labled a bust. Sweed has been dropping passes from the moment he entered the same first preseason game that Mendy did, and he has not remedied the problem. In fact, it has seemed top get worse, because the recent passes he dropped have been more costly. Mendy was benched, just like Sweed, and Mendy found his way off the bench back into the game, and is contributing. TYhsi shows me that if Sweed was the great practice player that many confess, Tomlin would give him the chance as well. He hasn't. I understand that keeping him on the sideline isn;t helpign him, but he is largely inneffective when he has been in the game. At some point, yo have to start why people keep defending him.

stlrz d
12-09-2009, 10:04 AM

Pappy

Sorry to disagree, pappy (we usually agree on things) but Sweed and Mendenhall are apples and oranges. Mendenhall showed us a lot in training came last season, and minus a fumbling problem which he has seemed to remedy, there was very little chance he was going top be labled a bust. Sweed has been dropping passes from the moment he entered the same first preseason game that Mendy did, and he has not remedied the problem. In fact, it has seemed top get worse, because the recent passes he dropped have been more costly. Mendy was benched, just like Sweed, and Mendy found his way off the bench back into the game, and is contributing. TYhsi shows me that if Sweed was the great practice player that many confess, Tomlin would give him the chance as well. He hasn't. I understand that keeping him on the sideline isn;t helpign him, but he is largely inneffective when he has been in the game. At some point, yo have to start why people keep defending him.

If Wallace wasn't playing so well I think Sweed would get off the bench more.

Again, if Ward can't go against the Browns we'll see more of Sweed.

ramblinjim
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
I think we need to give the kid some playing time and I agree that if Wallace hadn't been so good this year Sweed would get more time. In a game against Baltimore last year Sweed threw a couple of vicious blocks down field during the game IIRC. It seems like the guy likes to play football, maybe he just needed to grow up a little bit.

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2009, 10:11 AM
[quote="stlrz d":1mj3p8v7]I'm watching the replay of the game on NFLN right now. Mendy's TD run was an outstanding individual effort. The Raiders had that all bottled up and he kept the play alive until he could "roll" to the outside and get into the EZ.

Pappy

Again, if Ward can't go against the Browns we'll see more of Sweed.[/quote:1mj3p8v7]

I agree we will see more of sweed, and I truly hope he does catch on . . . no pun intended. But I don;t see why people have a problem with those who lable Sweed a bust thus far . . . he has earned the lable. IMHO

frankthetank1
12-09-2009, 10:48 AM
imo sweed isnt a bust. he was a late 2nd round pick. i classify him more as an under achiever than a bust and there is a big difference imo. i dont understand why so many people were calling timmons mendy and troy a bust in their first couple of seasons. they hardly played so how can you evaluate them at that point? sweed's problem is he hasnt played a whole lot and when he has he hasnt had success in catching passes. if we saw him more he just might make some plays

proudpittsburgher
12-09-2009, 10:56 AM
imo sweed isnt a bust. he was a late 2nd round pick. i classify him more as an under achiever than a bust and there is a big difference imo. i dont understand why so many people were calling timmons mendy and troy a bust in their first couple of seasons. they hardly played so how can you evaluate them at that point? sweed's problem is he hasnt played a whole lot and when he has he hasnt had success in catching passes. if we saw him more he just might make some plays

I think that's the problem, every time we see him play, we remember it for the wrong reasons (dropped passes). And I agree with you about the bust comment . . .he wasn't a first round pick and shouldn't be held to the same standards. Truly, though, a disappointment thus far. I just hope that he gets it together.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 01:39 PM
[quote="stlrz d":16nzzgdq]I'm watching the replay of the game on NFLN right now. Mendy's TD run was an outstanding individual effort. The Raiders had that all bottled up and he kept the play alive until he could "roll" to the outside and get into the EZ.

Pappy

Again, if Ward can't go against the Browns we'll see more of Sweed.

I agree we will see more of sweed, and I truly hope he does catch on . . . no pun intended. But I don;t see why people have a problem with those who lable Sweed a bust thus far . . . he has earned the lable. IMHO[/quote:16nzzgdq]

This may ultimately be an argument over semantics, but I don't subscribe to the "bust thus far" label. I think you are either a bust or you are not (kinda like how you can't be almost pregnant). People gave Troy the "bust thus far" label after his rookie season, but he has proven those early evaluations to be foolish. Jamain Stephens was a bust. Alonzo Jackson was a bust. Scott Shields was a bust. But Limas still has an opportunity to turn things around. Sure, he hasn't lived up to expectations thus far, but I don't think that justifies throwing around the dreaded B-word at this point in time.

ikestops85
12-09-2009, 03:03 PM
This may ultimately be an argument over semantics, but I don't subscribe to the "bust thus far" label. I think you are either a bust or you are not (kinda like how you can't be almost pregnant). People gave Troy the "bust thus far" label after his rookie season, but he has proven those early evaluations to be foolish. Jamain Stephens was a bust. Alonzo Jackson was a bust. Scott Shields was a bust. But Limas still has an opportunity to turn things around. Sure, he hasn't lived up to expectations thus far, but I don't think that justifies throwing around the dreaded B-word at this point in time.

Isn't that the definition of "bust thus far"? That's not to say he will continue on this disappointing path but todate he has been a bust. He can certainly improve and have a successful career. We all hope he does (except for a few who post here). Now his career continues so I don't think anyone can call him a "bust" yet but they can certainly say he has been a "bust so far".

Until Mendy started this year he hadn't shown much that would make you think he would be successful. He has certainly turned that perception around (although I think he has benefited greatly from the vastly improved offensive line). Sweed can still do the same thing.

If Sweed can put a couple of good games together without any drops hope will spring eternal for him and the fans again. I sincerely hope he does it but I'm not counting on it.

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 04:27 PM

Isn't that the definition of "bust thus far"? That's not to say he will continue on this disappointing path but todate he has been a bust. He can certainly improve and have a successful career. We all hope he does (except for a few who post here). Now his career continues so I don't think anyone can call him a "bust" yet but they can certainly say he has been a "bust so far".

Until Mendy started this year he hadn't shown much that would make you think he would be successful. He has certainly turned that perception around (although I think he has benefited greatly from the vastly improved offensive line). Sweed can still do the same thing.

If Sweed can put a couple of good games together without any drops hope will spring eternal for him and the fans again. I sincerely hope he does it but I'm not counting on it.

That's why I qualified my post with "this may ultimately be an argument over semantics." I think you can be disappointing in your first two seasons and ultimately live up to expectations (see: Meachem, Robert...he caught 12 total passes in his first two seasons as a first round pick, but now has 8 TD's in year three as a vital cog on an undefeated team). Meachem was never a bust...he just did not live up to expectations people had for him early in his career. First round WR's like Rashaun Woods or R. Jay Soward were outright busts. I just think that you are either a bust or you are not (my definition does not allow for various degrees of bustdom at different stages of your career). I don't think you can be labeled a bust now, and then come back to be a solid player. Once a bust, always a bust. If there is still hope for a player, then he is not yet a bust. After all, a balloon can only bust once, right?

Chadman
12-09-2009, 04:58 PM
The thing in Sweed's favour is that he is consistantly in position to make the play. It's just that when it comes time to actually make the play- his hands have let him down.

It appears to be more of a confidence thing than an ability thing.

And he doesn't need to have Spiderman's hands to be successful- just so long as they are good enough to snare the passes that are thrown to him- even if it means chest catching. Just get it done. What's the best way to improve confidence? Give Sweed some gimme catches in gametime- easy ones designed to just get the ball in his hands- perhaps a couple of WR screens or something whee there is little pressure from the CB.

And instead of asking him to streak downfield & create the game winning TD- have him cross across the middle for the short to intermediate routes- like what he was doing in pre-season.

All that being said- memo to the Steelers FO- if you draft a WR because he's tall- prepare for the consequences. The Steelers had simply decided they needed a 'big' target for Ben- and since getting him he's been near ineffectual. However, 6' 0" WR Mike Wallace has had a great start to his career.

Go figure.

cruzer8
12-09-2009, 05:48 PM
A player is not a bust until it is proven with all certainty that they just can't play.

ikestops85
12-09-2009, 06:18 PM
That's why I qualified my post with "this may ultimately be an argument over semantics." I think you can be disappointing in your first two seasons and ultimately live up to expectations (see: Meachem, Robert...he caught 12 total passes in his first two seasons as a first round pick, but now has 8 TD's in year three as a vital cog on an undefeated team). Meachem was never a bust...he just did not live up to expectations people had for him early in his career. First round WR's like Rashaun Woods or R. Jay Soward were outright busts. I just think that you are either a bust or you are not (my definition does not allow for various degrees of bustdom at different stages of your career). I don't think you can be labeled a bust now, and then come back to be a solid player. Once a bust, always a bust. If there is still hope for a player, then he is not yet a bust. After all, a balloon can only bust once, right?

This is where we disagree. I love ALL degrees of bustdom. From big bustoms down to little bustoms. From round bustdoms to pointy bustoms. From firm bustoms to ... well, you get the idea.

:Boobs bouncey ones are great also :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
12-10-2009, 12:54 AM

This is where we disagree. I love ALL degrees of bustdom. From big bustoms down to little bustoms. From round bustdoms to pointy bustoms. From firm bustoms to ... well, you get the idea.

:Boobs bouncey ones are great also :lol:

:Bow :lol: