PDA

View Full Version : Observations From Heinz Field

flippy
12-08-2009, 01:02 PM
I had the good fortune of going to the Raiders/Steelers game this week and thought I'd share some thoughts from the game.

1. Our Defense is worse live than they look on TV. Numerous times it took us too much time to get aligned. We left guys uncovered. And we looked like the 4 stooges trying to cover receivers. All of our DBs deserve to be benched. And there were a couple of plays where we had a LB matched on a WR with no help over top and Oakland just didn't take advantage. Oakland should have put up 45+ on us on Sunday.

2. Bruce G deserves some credit though. His handoff is spectacular. It's the best I've ever seen. I was in the closed endzone in the middle of the field and could not tell when he handed off versus when he kept the ball. His handoff is like magic. After seeing it a couple times, I told the people next to me the way he's handing off is going to open up some big plays deep cause our DBs are aggressive in run support. And in the end, the way he hands off broke down the Steelers secondary on some big plays.

3. The final Oakland score was nuts. Clark was going apenutz trying to get Mundy lined up in the right spot. Oakland's WR was uncovered on that TD. There was no Steeler within 10 yards of him at the snap. The only almost positive was Gradkowski didn't notice it either right away. Gradkowski missed so many plays. If we played Peyton, Brees, Brady, etc., they would have thrown for 600 yards against us. It was so bad.

4. Ike Taylor should be cut. I'm not kidding.

5. While I don't like to see anyone getting hurt. If Gay is out this week, we may be better off.

6. 4 and 1 early in the game and we call a QB sneak?!?!?!?!?! WTF, didn't our QB just have a concussion? The Raiders are bad against the run. We shoulda given it to Mendy. Or kicked a FG that could have made the final score a tie.

7. The FG to start the 4th quarter. If we were going to kick a FG, we should have called a timeout and kicked the 53 yard field goal into the closed end of the stadium at the end of the 3rd quarter. The left flag kept blowing randomly on the goalpost on the closed end of the stadium, but the right one never moved. Everyone in the stadium knew the ball was going left before Reed attempted the 53 yarder. We should have either kept the offense on the field or punted. Bad call Mike T.

8. I got a chuckle out of the guy next to me when he said maybe Tomlin will try a 70 yard field goal to tie it at the end of the game instead of throwing a hail mary.

9. James Harrison's jock strap is all over Heinz Field. Gradkowski is a slippery sucker.

10. Our defense has no heart. Only a handful of guys looked like they were giving 100%. Special shout out to Casey - he played well. And he was flipping out after we gave up the last TD. He's giving 110% on every play, and I'd like to see us try to keep him for at least 1 more year. He's really playing well.

11. Our OLine doesn't finish plays. Too many times I noticed an OLineman watching Mendy get tackled. Mendy is going to be really good. He's quick. And he's becoming very hard to bring down. Just like we have a QB who won't go down and you have to block extra for him, you've gotta start doing the same for your RB.

12. We left too much time on the clock when we scored our last TD. We should have taken some time off the clock. And we shoulda kicked the FG and sent the game into OT if needed. We just shouldn't have given the ball to Oakland with 2 min the way our D was playing. Everyone kinda knew we were gonna lose the moment we scored that TD.

13. Our fans dissapointed me. We've got a huge waiting list for season tickets and many of you season ticket holders should give your PSLs back. I don't get how someone can be lucky enough to have tickets and not even watch the game. There was an exodus after the Ward TD at the end of the game in our section. People left the game in spots where the ball was in the redzone right in front of us. Several folks had too much liquor to even remember the game. And I really noticed an empty stadium during the 2nd half kickoff. People just didn't get back in time for the start of the 2nd half and it seemed half the stadium wasn't watching. If you don't care to watch the Steelers, give your tickets to someone who does. Maybe it's a lower level thing? Maybe people that get to go to lots of games don't appreciate it? I've never been to a Steelers game where I felt like I was at a Pirates game where fans were so apathetic. In one sense, maybe the fans at the game deserved a loss given their lack of support.

14. Ben was off. He probably had a good game statistically, but many of his throws were just a little off all day. The INT in the endzone wasn't even close to Ward. I know the defender came from the other side so Ben probably didn't see him, but I have no idea what Ben was throwing toward.

15. I feel bad for Joe Burnnett. He missed out on what looked like an easy INT and everyone was really down on the kid. But he just came in off the bench on a really cold day and it's hard to make a play coming into a game so late after sitting on the sideline most of the day. I also noticed how quick he was on that play making a nice break with his WR. Everyone else noticed the drop, but I noticed, he might have more talent as a CB than either of our starters. He looked fluid in his break. I'd like to see more of him.

16. Not sure if Troy will be back or not, but I wouldn't mind seeing our starting DBs be Burnett, Lewis, Troy, and Carter.

17. James Farrior got slow.

18. These next 4 games are going to be exciting. If we can just get Troy back and get a little help, you never know what can happen with Ben and Troy on the field.

19. Do we play Renegade regularly after a score? Or did we do it this time so that we'd be pumped and Gary Russell wouldn't run one back on us.

20. I'm not sure anyone touched Carey Davis on his return other than a Steelers player.

I'm looking forward to going back and watching the game on TV before Thursday's game in Cleveland. I hope Tomlin seriously considers replacing a lot of starters on D.

Despite my dissapointments, I'm still hopefully we can squeak into the playoffs.

Let's get this thing restarted going into Cleveland!!!!!!!

WoooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flippy
12-08-2009, 01:05 PM
One more question. Did Limas Sweed get 2 hands on the hailmary? It sure looked like he did from the other endzone. He looked to be in perfect position in front of everyone and it looked like the ball was coming his way and he had the height advantage.

I really thought he was catching that.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 01:09 PM
Redundantman is going to sue flippy for copyright infringement. :wink:

Iron Shiek
12-08-2009, 01:12 PM
One more question. Did Limas Sweed get 2 hands on the hailmary? It sure looked like he did from the other endzone. He looked to be in perfect position in front of everyone and it looked like the ball was coming his way and he had the height advantage.

I really thought he was catching that.

Its a tough play to make, but seriously...he really had a good chance at coming down with it. He kinda mistimed it but had both hands on the ball.

6rings
12-08-2009, 01:13 PM
Nice post Flippy.
As far as the fans go, I too get frustrated when I have to pasy 2-3 times face value for a ticket, only to see the season ticket holders seats half full. I can understand the logic in not supporting a team tho' where the coaches and players aren't playing with heart and pride.

flippy
12-08-2009, 02:18 PM
Redundantman is going to sue flippy for copyright infringement. :wink:

I'd like to get more observations from those that see the games live. There so much you just don't see on tv. Maybe I'll see the same things when I get a chance to watch the broadcast ;)

I am glad Tomlin's looking to make some changes on D. I

flippy
12-08-2009, 03:33 PM
One more item I just remembered. During team intros, the crowd starts to get excited when Heath Miller comes out. They chant HEEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTHHHHH! Then it gets louder when they intro Ben. But when Hines Ward comes out last, the crowd erupts.

Pittsburgh apreciates Miller. They like Ben. But the crowd loves Hines. And the difference in the amount of cheers is significant. I was surprised.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 03:57 PM
One more item I just remembered. During team intros, the crowd starts to get excited when Heath Miller comes out. They chant HEEEEEEAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTHHHHH! Then it gets louder when they intro Ben. But when Hines Ward comes out last, the crowd erupts.

Pittsburgh apreciates Miller. They like Ben. But the crowd loves Hines. And the difference in the amount of cheers is significant. I was surprised.

Coming out last is an honor. It used to be Bettis, now it is Hines, and it will be Ben after Hines retires. On defense, Troy gets the honor of the biggest cheer coming out last.

papillon
12-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I thought the cheers for Willie Colon were pretty loud for a lineman.

Harrison played a great game; Gradkowski got him once or twice, but Harrison contained hi a few times as well and didn't allow him to make a throw that would have probably been compete.

Woodley was unbelievable in this game

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get behind the secondary once Gradkowski started to scramble. He left two real big plays on field by overthrowing two streaking receivers that were 2-3 yards behind the secondary.

Logan is quick, but not fast enough to get it to the house. He played well though

Anthony Madison paid dividends after the first return that went to the 40. The Raiders didn't get past the 20 on kickoffs after that.

Timmons is quite quick and fast, he closes better than anyone on the team except possibly Polamalu.

Mendenhall makes yards out of nothing and more out of something

Santonio Holmes will be impossible to keep on this team; he's going to command big money. He's runs so smoothly that you don't realize how fast he is until he's past you.

I'm amazed at how many people miss most of the first quarter waiting to get into the stadium.

Many have stated that they believe the defense wasn't trying, or gave up, or were dogging it, etc. Nothing could be further form the truth, they play hard every play, they just didn't make any big plays. I didn't see anyone that I could point out and say, "he took that play off"

I caught my self watching one specific player and missed the play, because, I was curious how that player was playing and the play went away from him or he wasn't involved in the play.

I highly recommend that any Steeler fan that has never been to the staidium to make every effort to go and see one game live in your lifetime, regardless of where you have to come from to get there.

I took my wife to the Tin Angel for dinner on Saturday night. If you can afford to spend about $150 to $175 including the tip, it's a dinner you'll never forget. My wife is still thanking me for taking her to dinner.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 04:38 PM
I haven't heard of the Tin Angel before (never dined atop Mount Washington, since I am usually in Pittsburgh with my father, who is happy to grab some grub at a truck stop on the way home), but perhaps I will look into it the next time I take my wife into Pittsburgh. Sounds great! I assume that you were able to bring Pappy Jr. there too and they were able to find some kid-friendly food for him as well (I doubt that pre-teens would be dining on $41 filet of sole).

mshifko
12-08-2009, 11:44 PM
pap i'm worried about us being able to keep tone too...he's going to get huge offers from other teams i think, i just hope he stays put...he's special

Chadman
12-09-2009, 12:27 AM

Harrison played a great game; Gradkowski got him once or twice, but Harrison contained hi a few times as well and didn't allow him to make a throw that would have probably been compete.

I couldn't believe how easy it was to get behind the secondary once Gradkowski started to scramble. He left two real big plays on field by overthrowing two streaking receivers that were 2-3 yards behind the secondary.

Logan is quick, but not fast enough to get it to the house. He played well though

Anthony Madison paid dividends after the first return that went to the 40. The Raiders didn't get past the 20 on kickoffs after that.

Timmons is quite quick and fast, he closes better than anyone on the team except possibly Polamalu.

Santonio Holmes will be impossible to keep on this team; he's going to command big money. He's runs so smoothly that you don't realize how fast he is until he's past you.

I'm amazed at how many people miss most of the first quarter waiting to get into the stadium.

Many have stated that they believe the defense wasn't trying, or gave up, or were dogging it, etc. Nothing could be further form the truth, they play hard every play, they just didn't make any big plays. I didn't see anyone that I could point out and say, "he took that play off"

I caught my self watching one specific player and missed the play, because, I was curious how that player was playing and the play went away from him or he wasn't involved in the play.

I highly recommend that any Steeler fan that has never been to the staidium to make every effort to go and see one game live in your lifetime, regardless of where you have to come from to get there.

I took my wife to the Tin Angel for dinner on Saturday night. If you can afford to spend about $150 to $175 including the tip, it's a dinner you'll never forget. My wife is still thanking me for taking her to dinner.

Pappy

Mrs Pap is STILL 'thanking you' for the dinner? Hmm...maybe Chadman will lookinto this.. :)

papillon
12-09-2009, 12:32 AM
I haven't heard of the Tin Angel before (never dined atop Mount Washington, since I am usually in Pittsburgh with my father, who is happy to grab some grub at a truck stop on the way home), but perhaps I will look into it the next time I take my wife into Pittsburgh. Sounds great! I assume that you were able to bring Pappy Jr. there too and they were able to find some kid-friendly food for him as well (I doubt that pre-teens would be dining on $41 filet of sole).

Unless, your kids are at least 21 I wouldn't take them to the finer eateries on Mt. Washington. They won't appreciate the ambiance or the food and it's quite expensive. However, you and the wife will have a very memorable meal, I highly recommend it.

The Georgetown Inn (excellent form experience)
Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto (very good, from experience)
Tin Angel (excellent, experience)
LeMont (excellent, from experience)
Cliffside (only what I've heard and it's all good)
Bella Vista (no report on this one)
Grandview (only what I'veheard and it's all good)

There are other restaurants up there...go here. http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/restaurants_mt_washington/Pittsburgh_Restaurants_Dining_Atop_Pittsburghs_Mt_ Washington.htm

Park at the Duquesne incline and take it up to Mt. Washington, have dinner and then descend back to Station Square fro some shopping or after dinner drinks.

Enjoy Mr. and Mrs. Ruthlessburgher.

When I saw we were in section 505, I thought I was within walking distance of your section, but, to my chagrin you were in the other endzone.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Unless, your kids are at least 21 I wouldn't take them to the finer eateries on Mt. Washington. They won't appreciate the ambiance or the food and it's quite expensive. However, you and the wife will have a very memorable meal, I highly recommend it.

The Georgetown Inn (excellent form experience)
Monterrey Bay Fish Grotto (very good, from experience)
Tin Angel (excellent, experience)
LeMont (excellent, from experience)
Cliffside (only what I've heard and it's all good)
Bella Vista (no report on this one)
Grandview (only what I'veheard and it's all good)

There are other restaurants up there...go here. http://pittsburgh.about.com/od/restaurants_mt_washington/Pittsburgh_Restaurants_Dining_Atop_Pittsburghs_Mt_ Washington.htm

Park at the Duquesne incline and take it up to Mt. Washington, have dinner and then descend back to Station Square fro some shopping or after dinner drinks.

Enjoy Mr. and Mrs. Ruthlessburgher.

When I saw we were in section 505, I thought I was within walking distance of your section, but, to my chagrin you were in the other endzone.

Pappy

Much appreciated, Pap!

Not sure how far into the future I'll have the ol' lady in Pittsburgh, though. She's not a cold weather game kind of person, so I will likely be going to the Green Bay game with my father and the Baltimore game with my son. We may have to wait until next season for my wife and I to take advantage. I printed out your restaurant recommendations for use in the future. Thanks again.

papillon
12-09-2009, 01:32 PM

Pappy

Mrs Pap is STILL 'thanking you' for the dinner? Hmm...maybe Chadman will lookinto this.. :)

She's still thanking me this morning! :D

Pappy