PDA

View Full Version : for the eternal optimists

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM
I know the Steelers really dont deserve a playoff spot but....IF the steelers do win out, there is still a good shot they get in because..
-if they win out than that takes care of baltimore and miami who are also 6-6, so that puts us in a 4 team race for 2 spots with the yoncos, jags and jets all competing....

basically we need 3 things to happen
1) we win out
2) we need the jets to lose just once
3) we need EITHER the broncos or jags to lose 2wice.....

the broncos have Indy, Oakland, Philly and K.C. left....
the jags have Miami, Indy, N.E. and Cleveland left...
the jets have T.B, Atl, Indy, Cincy left....

On Sunday, you need to cheer for the dolphins as if they were the steelers, that would be huge, and if T.B. somehow takes care of the jets than we are really cooking....of course that is taking into count that we take care of the browns, but we always take care of inferior teams....

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-08-2009, 10:16 AM
A breakdown I did for another thread. 2 losses by the Broncos get us in too like you said.

Still alive. This was actually the first thing we needed to happen. Win out and the Ravens lose again. Nothing else would have mattered if the Ravens didn't lose again because the way things are working out....Finishing 2nd in your division will be your only shot. We now control our own destiny within the divisions final standings. *By tie breaker rules-Finishing 2nd in your division can leave you eligible for #5 & #6 seed. By finishing 3rd in your division, you are only eligible for a #6 seed.

Saying that...Here is the ugly truth!

This is the easiest path for the Steelers. Now you will know who to pull for. With the Steelers winning out (Not easy)....Here is what we need to happen. Winning out means the Steelers beat the Dolphins. That should work out the east because the Dolphins own the tie breakers on the Jets & I see the Jets losing at least one more game.

Now, here is what we need to happen. (Minimum!!!)

Jags 2-L
#5 Broncos
#6 Steelers

Jags 1-L & Broncos 2-L
#5 Jags
#6 Steelers

Jags 2-L & Broncos 2-L
#5 Steelers
#6 Broncos

Now remember...This is with the Jets having another loss. If they end up with 6-L it throws them in the mix. That could take the tie breaker anywhere form #4-#6 depending on how many teams are tied.

Ugly...Yes.
Possible...Yes. The door was unlocked with the Ravens loss last night.
Taking care of our own is priority and won't be easy. I think that is the hardest part because the cards will fall right for the Steelers. I feel it is totally up to them to make the post season now with the Ravens loss. The Jags very easily can drop 2 with MIA,IND,NE, & CLEV left. Den could drop 2 with IND,OAK,PHIL,& KC left.

If the Steelers suffer another loss, I'm done wishing. They couldn't win when they were supposed to so it is over.

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I really actually feel that we have a GREAT shot if we win out, because both cincy and N.E. will be playing hard until the end because they will be fighting for seeding and they both play teams that we need to lose,
hopefully indy plays hard the next two weeks bc they have denver and jax....i really do see denver losing this week and in 2 weeks in philly, that will be crucial for the eagles, the jags NEED to lose this week to miami and to N.E....

pfelix73
12-08-2009, 10:24 AM
Well, IF, and I say, IF we go 4-0, everyone will be in a different mood and will be saying that we do indeed deserve a shot at defending our championship.

This team has the nucleus and veteran leadership to do that, it's just going to depend if they have the right mentality between the ears to get it done.

If they go 4-0, they will earn a spot. Maybe even the 5th seed. Denver will lose 2 at the least. Indy and the Iggles. The Eagles will be playing for the division at that point. Although I do see a possibility of them giving the Colts their 1st loss.

Not so sure about Jack Del Rio's team either. Colts and NE? prob. 2 losses there as well.

Go Steelers- just take care of Cleve. first.

:tt1

LouSteel
12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Nice summary, JUST-PLAIN-NASTY.

I was just about to run down all the scenarios myself. Thanks for saving me the time :) :Cheers

We're really freaking lucky -- we lost our "first playoff game"... but the Ravens let us back in. Did I mention :ratsuck :ratsuck :ratsuck ? lol

Now we've got a second chance, but running the table is going to be tough... Green Bay can't afford to let their foot off the gas or they risk being caught. And Baltimore/Miami are going to be fighting for their football lives.

Let's take care of business against the Stains and hope for some help from Miami... and Detroit showing up for a game would be nice too :)

:brownssuck :ratsuck :tt2

Oviedo
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm as optimistic as anyone who posts on this board but if we can't stop Bruce Gradgowski what do you think our chances are against Aaron Rodgers? Particularly if we are putting rookies into the defensive backfield.

Can it happen? Absolutely!!!

Will it happen???????????????????????????????????

drprwnap
12-08-2009, 10:47 AM
I know the Steelers really dont deserve a playoff spot but....IF the steelers do win out, there is still a good shot they get in because..
-if they win out than that takes care of baltimore and miami who are also 6-6, so that puts us in a 4 team race for 2 spots with the yoncos, jags and jets all competing....

1) we win out

On Sunday, you need to cheer for the dolphins as if they were the steelers, that would be huge, and if T.B. somehow takes care of the jets than we are really cooking....of course that is taking into count that we take care of the browns, but we always take care of inferior teams....

:wft are you people smoking???? This team loses to KC AND Oakland and you're talking playoffs???? Playoffs????? Are you kidding me??? If Gradgowski puts up over 300 yards against us, what do you think Rivers, Brady and Manning will do????? Hell, Quinn may put up 400 on Thursday. Take off the rose colored glasses and realize THIS TEAM WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

frankthetank1
12-08-2009, 10:50 AM

1) we win out

:wft are you people smoking???? This team loses to KC AND Oakland and you're talking playoffs???? Playoffs????? Are you kidding me??? If Gradgowski puts up over 300 yards against us, what do you think Rivers, Brady and Manning will do????? Hell, Quinn may put up 400 on Thursday. Take off the rose colored glasses and realize THIS TEAM WILL NOT MAKE THE PLAYOFFS.

playoffs? playoffs? you wanna talk playoffs? jim mora couldn't of said it better :lol:

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 11:19 AM

1) we win out

I am just as upset over the performance of the Steelers as anyone else, but I am not going to give up, call me crazy, but its the Steelers....did you read the title...its for eternal optimists..go nuts somewhere else, but IF they go 10-6 we dont need the steeler lovers coming back

NWNewell
12-08-2009, 11:48 AM

1) we win out

I don't disagree.... I have little faith that we can win out... but maybe Tomlin will earn his paycheck and a miracle will happen. None the less, as a fan, I will be rooting for them to the bitter end. Which means rooting against teams we need to lose to get into the playoffs as well.

:tt2

ramblinjim
12-08-2009, 11:53 AM
naturally, I'm the guy that said to start playing the kids and see what we have for next year but I should probably couch that and say "once we are mathematically eliminated...."

If we win four in a row against Cleveland, Green Bay, Miami and Baltimore people will be saying "no one wants to play against the Steelers, they're getting hot at the right time................"

Wolfhound45
12-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Playoffs?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qwq7BYOnDrM

I am not skilled enough to embed a Youtube video.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 12:03 PM
Playoffs?

Just put tags that say and around those letters that you have following the equals sign Qwq7BYOnDrM

[youtube:1mzrdcrd]Qwq7BYOnDrM[/youtube:1mzrdcrd]

So easy, even a RuthlessBurgher can do it!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/PHOTOSHOP%20CONTESTS/cave.jpg

:P

Wolfhound45
12-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Playoffs?

Just put tags that say and around those letters that you have following the equals sign Qwq7BYOnDrM

[youtube:1mr3y6ll]Qwq7BYOnDrM[/youtube:1mr3y6ll]

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w226/angryasian07/PHOTOSHOP%20CONTESTS/cave.jpg

Yes, but does RuthlessBurgher have a Louisiana public school education like I do?

I rest my case.

8)

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Playoffs?

[youtube:1rfhgnzi]Qwq7BYOnDrM[/youtube:1rfhgnzi]

Yes, but does RuthlessBurgher have a Louisiana public school education like I do?

I rest my case.

8)

Are you telling me that Wolfhound would not be about to spell http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?avatar=317_1228870649.gif if I spotted you the C and the T? I hear that there may be a QB who was a product of the Louisiana public education system who might struggle with that one...

NC Steeler Fan
12-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Oh man, thanks for posting this whole "who do we gotta pull for" scenario!
(My brain just can't handle figuring that kinda stuff out anymore.) :oops:

Men, we have our marching orders!!! 8)

Now, let's get out there Steeler Nation, send out the karma and seriously
f**k up some other team's chance of winning!!! :lol: :tt1

Sugar
12-08-2009, 12:47 PM
OK, but first things first- BEAT CLEVELAND!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 12:53 PM
OK, but first things first- BEAT CLEVELAND!!!

Yeah...that is first, literally, since it takes place on Thursday night while everything else has to wait until Sunday. :wink:

Wolfhound45
12-09-2009, 11:14 PM
Are you telling me that Wolfhound would not be about to spell http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?avatar=317_1228870649.gif if I spotted you the C and the T? I hear that there may be a QB who was a product of the Louisiana public education system who might struggle with that one...

Going old school.

http://www.karkardsinc.com/f79topps385.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Hen ... ootball%29 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Henderson_%28American_football%29)

Nice.

8)

Jooser
12-10-2009, 11:36 AM

1) we win out

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc352/jadypaydee/Chicken-Little.jpg
:D