PDA

View Full Version : Maybe Tomlin is trying to....

steelz09
12-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Increase our draft position to select Alabama NT/DT Terrence Cody. Mostly like Hampton won't be back so Cody would be a prime candidate.

Mel Blount's G
12-07-2009, 09:21 PM
He's projected to go in the top ten isn't he? Maybe "unleash hell" was code for "draft cody".

Wolfhound45
12-08-2009, 12:36 AM
He's projected to go in the top ten isn't he? Maybe "unleash hell" was code for "draft cody".

:P

That is the funniest thing I have read on this board in the past month!

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

grotonsteel
12-08-2009, 01:15 AM
Increase our draft position to select Alabama NT/DT Terrence Cody. Mostly like Hampton won't be back so Cody would be a prime candidate.

He is heck of a player but can he play NT in 3-4 ?

Cody is 6-5 if i am not wrong.Is Cody too tall to be a 3-4 NT??

Shoe
12-08-2009, 02:03 AM

No, he can play NT. Your main role is to plug the middle and tie up linemen... and as a 6-5, 375-pounder, he could do that.
But honestly, I would have to know more about this fata$s' character before I spent a top pick on him. Cuz just as easily as he could become a Hampton, he could be the next Sean Gilbert or Chester McGlockton (if you remember those names).

steelblood
12-08-2009, 08:25 AM

No, he can play NT. Your main role is to plug the middle and tie up linemen... and as a 6-5, 375-pounder, he could do that.
But honestly, I would have to know more about this fata$s' character before I spent a top pick on him. Cuz just as easily as he could become a Hampton, he could be the next Sean Gilbert or Chester McGlockton (if you remember those names).

Also, Alabama plays a lot of 3 man fronts. Cody is a perfect 3-4 nose tackle. He has tremendous size and strength. Good short area quickness for that size. Long strong arms to bat down balls on passes and kicks. At 6-5, he doesn't always get great leverage positionally, but with his size and strength, he doesn't have to have perfect technique. If he gets his weight under control, he'll likely be a top ten pick. However, if he injures himself during the draft process or allows his weight to balloon, he might slip a bit.

Oviedo
12-08-2009, 08:54 AM

Also, Alabama plays a lot of 3 man fronts. Cody is a perfect 3-4 nose tackle. He has tremendous size and strength. Good short area quickness for that size. Long strong arms to bat down balls on passes and kicks. At 6-5, he doesn't always get great leverage positionally, but with his size and strength, he doesn't have to have perfect technique. If he gets his weight under control, he'll likely be a top ten pick. However, if he injures himself during the draft process or allows his weight to balloon, he might slip a bit.

Cody has all the potential in the world to "eat himself" out of the league. He makes Hampton look like a dedicated fitness freak. To his credit he has lost weight at Alabama but what many do not know is he has still not made the weight target Saban set for him last season to be able to play on passing downs. If he comes in as a two down player then not sure you burn a top pick on him. If he can't control his weight he also becomes a real potential for recurring injuries.

IMO just another reason why the 3-4 defense will prove so hard to restock with high talent players. All teams playing the 3-4 are going to be forced to "overdraft" Nose Tackles because they are so few and far between within the college talent pool. Few teams play a 3-4 defense in college especially with the proliferation of the Spread Offense. Since colleges are the primary resource pool you have few choices and almost always have to draft a project. Not a sustainable business model IMO.

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 09:53 AM
BJ Raji isn't going to be posing for the cover of Men's Health anytime soon...but he seems to be doing a pretty good job here in cheese land.

SteelCrazy
12-08-2009, 10:03 AM
Ras-I Dowling CB/S Virginia, is a more logical choice....

SteelCzar76
12-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Nah,...i think it's far more likely that Tomlin would select a 4-3 NT with a third or fourth round grade in the 1st. You know,....the kind of player that is "Ordinary as a bowl of Grits" in every sense of the saying. (especially in terms of productivity in the League. :lol:)

pfelix73
12-08-2009, 10:26 AM
I'm thinking Hood is the eventual replacement for Casey... Hope they resign Casey though or at least franchise him for a year. Thinking I saw Hood in there a few times at NG.

LouSteel
12-08-2009, 10:40 AM
I'm thinking Hood is the eventual replacement for Casey... Hope they resign Casey though or at least franchise him for a year. Thinking I saw Hood in there a few times at NG.

He'll have to put on more size to play the two gap technique. One of his biggest pluses coming out of school was his quickness and explosion off the ball, and I wonder if he'll lose that if he bulks up.

Oviedo
12-08-2009, 10:44 AM

I think DB or ILB are more logical choices and potentially greater needs given our defensive performance this season. We are not losing games because of run defense. We are getting embarassed because of pass defense.

We can always tag Hampton for one more year since there will be no CBA and we get to use like three tags this off season.

phillyesq
12-08-2009, 10:53 AM

I think DB or ILB are more logical choices and potentially greater needs given our defensive performance this season. We are not losing games because of run defense. We are getting embarassed because of pass defense.

We can always tag Hampton for one more year since there will be no CBA and we get to use like three tags this off season.

I really don't see ILB as a logical choice for a first round pick. The D didn't really lose a beat when Fox replaced Timmons, and he could just as easily replace Farrior. Boiman could take the Fox role as top backup ILB. The Steelers could use a developmental linebackers, both inside and out, but ILB is not a need.

Regardless of whether the Steelers stay with a 3-4 (I think they should) or a 4-3, they will need a big, run stuffing DT. Tagging Hampton buys another year, but I think the Steelers need to grab somebody this year in the draft. DB is obviously the other need area.

Oviedo
12-08-2009, 11:02 AM

I really don't see ILB as a logical choice for a first round pick. The D didn't really lose a beat when Fox replaced Timmons, and he could just as easily replace Farrior. Boiman could take the Fox role as top backup ILB. The Steelers could use a developmental linebackers, both inside and out, but ILB is not a need.

Regardless of whether the Steelers stay with a 3-4 (I think they should) or a 4-3, they will need a big, run stuffing DT. Tagging Hampton buys another year, but I think the Steelers need to grab somebody this year in the draft. DB is obviously the other need area.

Farrior is the problem not Timmons. Farrior doesn't seem to be able to cover quick RBs anymore. He looks totally out of position in coverage.

Agree with grabbing another DT in the draft but not Round 1. Whether we stay 3-4 or go 4-3 we need another "run stuffing DT." The challenge is a "run stuffer" to play NT is much harder to find than a "run stuffer" to play the 4-3. There is a much deeper talent pool for the latter...every year!!!!

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 11:25 AM

I think you may have seen Hood as a DT in the 4 man front in the nickel or dime, not as the NT in the 3-4. Hood would appear to be the future replacement for Aaron Smith, who is 33 years old, has had recent injury issues, and has 2 years left on his contract.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Farrior is the problem not Timmons. Farrior doesn't seem to be able to cover quick RBs anymore. He looks totally out of position in coverage.

Agree with grabbing another DT in the draft but not Round 1. Whether we stay 3-4 or go 4-3 we need another "run stuffing DT." The challenge is a "run stuffer" to play NT is much harder to find than a "run stuffer" to play the 4-3. There is a much deeper talent pool for the latter...every year!!!!

Fox is available to replace Farrior if needed. When we have 3 capable options at ILB, that is not a first round need (perhaps draft an ILB in the mid-rounds for depth) but not in the first when you are already lacking at safety and the interior d-line (plus Clark and Hampton's contracts are both up). I looks to me that nose tackle and safety are needs, while inside linebacker is a want.

And remember, although we may have 3 tags to use if there is no CBA in place, only one of them would be the franchise tag that would require draft compensation. The other two would be transition tags, where we would only have the right to match an offer (and other team may choose to make large offers that we wouldn't want to match if there were no salary cap in place).

eniparadoxgma
12-08-2009, 12:54 PM
BJ Raji isn't going to be posing for the cover of Men's Health anytime soon...but he seems to be doing a pretty good job here in cheese land.

Where you been mang?

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 01:03 PM

Where you been mang?

He was busy with photoshoots all week, since he will posing for the cover of Men's Health (Green Bay edition) in lieu of B.J. Raji. :lol: