PDA

View Full Version : Differences

steelsnis
12-07-2009, 05:48 PM
Think of last year's season vs. this year's season. Last year, we had PLENTY of close games that came right down to the end. Last year, we made big plays to get the win, this year we haven't.

Last year we barely squeaked by the Browns in week 2 in a Sunday night game, 10-6, beat Baltimore with a Jeff Reed FG as time expired and a Harrison sack Woodley fumble recovery for a TD, beat Jacksonville on a late drive by Big Ben with guys hanging off of him as he completed passes, beat Washington only when Leftwich came in and completed some deep balls late, beat SD in that crazy game where Troy picked up the fumble and ran it in (only to have it called back), squeaked by Dallas when Deshea picked off Romo for 6, and beat Baltimore w/Santonio's controversial late TD.

Point is, when you play games this close, you're gonna win some and you're gonna lose some. We've now lost 6 games by a grand total of 21 points. 5 games by field goals and 1 game by 6. You gotta get some BIG plays and aside from the Minnesota and Denver games, the D hasn't produced any.

Joe Burnett catches that ball yesterday, game over. Easy as that. You don't get a ton of opportunities to change your own fortunes, so when they happen, you've got to take advantage of them.

I don't think it's the scheme, i don't think it's the defensive play calling. I think it comes down to execution and players. When your best D-Lineman and best Safety are out of lineup, you HAVE to have guys capable of making the most of their opportunities.

They have had those chances this year, they just have not gotten it done.

Chadman
12-07-2009, 05:56 PM
All good points- however the Steelers lost to THE CHIEFS & THE RAIDERS- even with injuries at DE & Safety, the Steelers outclass these two organisations across the park.

And last season, the Steelers found ways to WIN. This year, they are finding ways to LOSE. Talent & skill & coaching are somewhat to blame...

But when you give up leads, when you blow leads to talentless, defeated teams, when you see ST not give a stuff...it's about attitude. The Steelers HAVE the talent on the field to win at least half of those close losses. Even with injuries.

But when push comes to shove, when the Steelers need to close a game out & win, they don't. They switch off.

Attitude.

It's 2006 all over again.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 06:06 PM
...and sorry, in JB's defense, he's a rook coming off the bench. He made the right break on the ball and had at least put himself in the right position to make a play. PERIOD! Cut the rook some slack, it's not like he's had all freaking season long to adjust to everything and be dead on. He showed me some ability on that play, the loss doesn't hang on his neck.

steelsnis
12-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Oh, don't get me wrong, i'm not hanging the loss around Burnett's neck entirely, but that's a play that he's waited his whole life for, and it just so happened to occur at a time that the team really needed it.

Personally, i really like what i've seen of him so far (minus the drop) and hope he gets more time in place of Gay and/or Taylor.

The point of my original post was that this team absolutely has the talent to win, but even w/injuries last season, they found a way.

This year, not so much...