PDA

View Full Version : Ike to the Bench?

Jooser
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM
It could be according to Bouchette:

Tomlin may bench some starters against Cleveland

Monday, December 07, 2009
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Mike Tomlin promised possible sweeping changes to the Steelers lineup for their next game in Cleveland Thursday night.

Enduring a four-game losing streak that has knocked his team to 6-6, Tomlin said there is an" undesirable pattern of behavior" in losing games in the fourth quarter and that he will take an "aggressive look at potential changes" in his lineup and his schemes.

Among the changes he noted is the likelihood that rookie cornerbacks Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis not only will play but could start against Cleveland and that veteran cornerback Ike Taylor possibly could lose his starting job.

A few changes will be necessary because it appears Hines Ward will not play because of a late-game hamstring injury from the Steelers' 27-24 loss to Oakland Sunday. That means Limas Sweed will move up on the depth chart and either he or rookie Mike Wallace will start Thursday. Tomlin also said they will sign a fourth wide receiver for the game -- they released veteran receiver Shaun McDonald Nov. 28.

Also, Troy Polamalu is likely to miss his fourth straight game with his knee injury and cornerback William Gay is being evaluated after he left Sunday's game with a concussion.

Tomlin said he expects defensive end Travis Kirschke to be available to play in Cleveland after he missed his fourth game in the past five with a calf injury.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09341/10 ... z0Z2L6bIHH (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09341/1019081-100.stm#ixzz0Z2L6bIHH)

A lot of folks have been big fans of Ike for a while, I for one, have not. Is he the only liability in the secondary? Of course not. But he's just not a play maker. His ability to cover top-tier WR's hasn't been up to snuff all season. I don't know, but what can hurt at this point to give the young guys a go at it?

Jom112
12-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Maybe I'm jaded because Ike has played very well against the Bengals all these years, but I don't think he should be benched. His stats will never be great but most of the passes I see being completed against him are small gains. The deep passes during the Raider game I think was an aberration...

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Hines got injured too?

@#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!

grotonsteel
12-07-2009, 04:48 PM
Maybe I'm jaded because Ike has played very well against the Bengals all these years, but I don't think he should be benched. His stats will never be great but most of the passes I see being completed against him are small gains. The deep passes during the Raider game I think was an aberration...

Ike taylor was owned by few players this season. Sidney Rice, Murphy..

I forgot one more WR who schooled Ike this season. Ike can't defend that fade away pass.

Ike taylor got lucky against Ratbirds. Every pass thrown to Derick Mason should have been called for PI against IKe.

I can think of 4 games this season where Ike Taylor was outright horrible.

Ike Taylor will be an awesome No.2 CB but Steelers need a CB who can catch . 2010 draft has few good defensive players. I am excited about the 2010 draft.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Ike taylor got lucky against Ratbirds. Every pass thrown to Derick Mason should have been called for PI against IKe.

The PI stuff I definitely agree with. Don't know how he's not flagged for it more often but since he's not, I have to give him credit...

papillon
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM

I agree, he's given up 2 TDs all year and seeing him trailing a play like that is very, very rare. Everyone wants their corners to make interceptions and change games (me included), but, having Ike there always gave me a sense of comfort knowing that he'll give some small ones, but, when we need a stop, the other typically doesn't look his way.

Yesterday, was an aberration and a well designed play executed to perfection at the perfect time. They lined up in the "I" with a TE and one WR, gave a good play fake that sucked everyone up and let the WR one-on-one with Ike and he got the inside release and it was over.

I'd like to see one rookie and one veteran playing, not two rookies at the corners.

Pappy

ikestops85
12-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Ike is actually great in man to man coverage. His problem is, and always has been, ball awareness. It seems that good receivers can always take the ball away from him even if he has them covered like a glove. That punt of a throw by Grabkowski was a perfect example. You can't allow a receiver to catch a ball like that.

The only player on the team that has the ability to go up and get a ball is Troy. Even our receivers are lousy at that. Sweed had a shot at redeeming himself on the hail mary at the end of the game but even though he had great position he was still outjumped for the ball by several other players. I guess we used up all of our breaks last year and this year we aren't getting many.

Wolfhound45
12-07-2009, 05:35 PM
Hines got injured too?

@#$%^&*!!!!!!!!!!

Guess he does not realize this is an important divisional game. Wonder if Ben is playing?

Just kidding, just kidding.

:stirpot

feltdizz
12-07-2009, 06:04 PM
Ike needs the bench. Hopefully he doesn't misjudge it and hit his azzzz on the ground.

Ike talks way too much trash while getting burnt for 7 yards on 3rd and 3.

Some people hate Holmes flexing and gloating but he is producing and making
plays. Ike barks after giving up a 30 yarder.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 06:08 PM
Exactly dizz, Swaggin's lost it's swagger. Make a damn play IKE!

Chadman
12-07-2009, 06:11 PM
The Steelers DB's have been revelling in their mediocrity for years now.

Hopefully we will see something, anything, from Burnett & Lewis that shows they are capable of actually performing at the top level.

NW Steeler
12-07-2009, 06:12 PM
Didn't Cowher bench Ike a few years back? He seemed to respond well to that if memory serves. He looked like he was totally jake-ing it yesterday on that play where he had no safety help. And there is no excuse for not batting down that pop-fly either. Having two rookies starting at the corners certainly isn't ideal, but it may send a message that many around here have been looking for.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 06:16 PM
I'd absolutely laugh my arse off if one of those rooks took one to the house Thursday night. Absolutely LOVE IT.

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o132/dreason61/LaughingJerryMouseAnimated.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 06:48 PM
At least if the rooks started on national TV this Thursday, they would say that they were from Oregon State and the University of Central Florida respectively instead of this "Swaggin'" nonsense.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 06:50 PM
http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp189/Mimi_1_09/SWAGGIN.jpg

Mel Blount's G
12-07-2009, 07:37 PM
I like it. And as far as Gay being "evaluated", well, um, I hope they do it while he's sitting on the bench thurs night.

I'd like to see Ziggy thrown into the starters role as well, whether kirchke's ready or not. Since the post season is all but totally out of reach, I'd like him to get some real game starts this year. He lacks experience you say? Give it to him. Now. Same with Tony Hills, Urbik and short-arms Shipley. The way I see it anyway is that Ben plays better when he's running for his life. Our offensive line, which most of us have heavily criticized over the last year or two, has actually looked okay in these losses. They've opened some gaping holes for our RB's and given Ben some time on pass plays. Let Ben return to his back yard football whilst giving our future lineman some REAL experience. And if Ben doesn't like it, put Dixon in. And yeah, let's start Sweed. If him and Wallace both turned into studs, man, it would sure keep Ward and Holmes on their toes

I still can't believe we lost to the bears, kc, jokeland and a clean sweep by the bungs :HeadBanger

Jooser
12-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Yeah! and Steely McBeam, make him do 100 pushups for every 10 yards of offense we pick up. And...Make anyone who caught the boats across the river swim the FUG back! Dayum, bring the change Mike, bring it! :D

Shoe
12-08-2009, 02:17 AM

I tend to agree with you on all the points mentioned above... but, I'd be in favor of benching him too--make him (someone) a scapegoat.

Frankly, I'd be in favor of any change (benching) at this point. THE PLAYERS NEED TO KNOW THAT TOMLIN'S RHETORIC ISN'T JUST THAT--meaningless words. Cuz that's what I'm coming to take him as.

They need to know that they will be held accountable.

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 01:26 PM
ike taylor looks like his forehead is pregnant

aggiebones
12-08-2009, 02:49 PM
They might look to replace him down the line. But not in this game. They won't be starting two rookies. They'll rotate the 2 rooks opposite him. If both perform well then they could both start next season.
....But we all know that is not likely. so we'll replace 1 CB next season if we got lucky with these guys. Mostly likely Gay will disappear and Ike starts for another season. after that its anyone's guess.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 03:03 PM
They might look to replace him down the line. But not in this game. They won't be starting two rookies. They'll rotate the 2 rooks opposite him. If both perform well then they could both start next season.
....But we all know that is not likely. so we'll replace 1 CB next season if we got lucky with these guys. Mostly likely Gay will disappear and Ike starts for another season. after that its anyone's guess.

I think Gay takes over the Deshea role when Townsend moves on after this season. I think Gay could be a solid nickel corner (he wasn't bad in such a role last season), but he appears to be miscast as a starting CB.

flippy
12-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Ike looked horrible yesterday and I'm for benching him.

Gradkowski has the best fake handoff I've ever seen. It's identical to his handoff. He does deserve a bit of credit.

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 03:55 PM
Ike looked horrible yesterday and I'm for benching him.

Gradkowski has the best fake handoff I've ever seen. It's identical to his handoff. He does deserve a bit of credit.

I was at the game like you (also in the North end zone) and Gradkowski's play action rollouts faked my eyes twice and got my Dad two other times as well.

feltdizz
12-08-2009, 06:01 PM

I bet he is trying to catch his forehead half the time not realizing it's not the ball...

Jooser
12-08-2009, 11:42 PM

I bet he is trying to catch his forehead half the time not realizing it's not the ball...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: