PDA

View Full Version : What was I feeling at the end of this game? Oddly, nothing.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
In the midst of the 4 game losing streak, I have run the gamut of emotion in this past month.

After the loss to the Bengals, I felt angry.

We had a chance to avenge a close loss at their place earlier in the season, and take control of the division. When they swept us on our own turf, taking the lead in the division and any potential tiebreakers away from us, I was royally ticked off.

After the loss to the Chiefs, I felt confused.

Just trying to wrap my mind around how we could seemingly dominate them for the entire game, then end up in overtime and blow it, was thoroughly befuddling to me.

After the loss to the Ravens, I felt depressed.

Going in with our 3rd string QB starting, expectations weren't all that high, but when Dixon started showing promise and actually got us the lead in the 4th quarter, hope emerged. Losing how we did after that threw me into the doldrums.

After the loss to the Radiers, I felt apathetic.

I have never felt this way after a loss. I wasn't apathetic at all during the game. I was screaming like a madman, and when the ref threw that flag for unnecessary roughness on the forearm-to-chest hit that they thought was helmet-to-helmet, I threw down my hat as hard as I ever had during a Steeler game. I just seriously felt absolutely nothing at the end of that game. I wasn't sad or mad or anything. Just numb. And it had nothing to do with the temperature outside.

I don't think I was the only one either. I didn't see much in the line of crying or screaming or any other emotional reaction from anyone else after the game either. We just seemed to walk out of the stadium like emotionless zombies with every last bit of passion sucked out of our bodies.

It was an odd feeling, and unlike anything I have experienced before following a Steeler game. For what it's worth, I fully expect to watch the Browns game this Thursday with intense interest as always, and I will continue to contribute to the Heinz bedlam for the Packers and Ravens games this month, so I did not lose my nerve or my heart yesterday...it was just an empty feeling that took over when the clock hit zero.

I am glad that we get to go out there again this Thursday night. I need a new feeling in regard to my football team, and I wouldn't want to have to wait until Sunday.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 02:54 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%BCbler-Ross_model

Close enough...

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 03:04 PM
i felt the same yesterday. nothing is suprising to me any more after losing to the chiefs. im way past the screaming on sunday's and being depressed the rest of the week. i've thrown in the towel for this season. might as well evaluate some young talent and fill some holes in the off season

SteelBucks
12-07-2009, 03:37 PM
I actually laughed when the Raiders scored the go ahead TD. How's that for apathetic?

I'm hoping playing the Browns will be the cure for this team.

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 03:51 PM

Close enough...

At least we get to experience it slowly. Bengals fans will go through it rapidly once they are knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM

Close enough...

At least we get to experience it slowly. Bengals fans will go through it rapidly once they are knocked out of the playoffs in the first round.

I'm just happy I'm not at stage 5 after week one like I used to be in the 90's... :lol:

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM

Close enough...

I'm just happy I'm not at stage 5 after week one like I used to be in the 90's... :lol:

:D

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 03:56 PM
yea i was in disbelief, i could not believe they lost to the raiders after losing to the chiefs 2 weeks prior, utter shock. I dont know why we play bad teams so badly, I get it if you get over an emotional win and than you play a bad team, you are bound to play a crappy game, but for the steelers to do this game in and game out is just inexusable, and a total lack of professionalism, If i went into my job and had a few bad days in a row and if I continued to stink it up, I would be gone, I dont get how the players/coaches can be this unprepared every week (with the exeption of baltimore, they were not bad all things considered)....it is embarassing for them, not us, but complete shock to constantly lose these game to these teams, sickening, I could not sleep last night

SteelCzar76
12-07-2009, 04:06 PM
I've felt nothing all season,..as i am not surprised. I actually said 9-7 was a possibility for this current roster and Head Coach before the season even started.

AngryAsian
12-07-2009, 04:07 PM
In the midst of the 4 game losing streak, I have run the gamut of emotion in this past month.

We had a chance to avenge a close loss at their place earlier in the season, and take control of the division. When they swept us on our own turf, taking the lead in the division and any potential tiebreakers away from us, I was royally ticked off.

Just trying to wrap my mind around how we could seemingly dominate them for the entire game, then end up in overtime and blow it, was thoroughly befuddling to me.

Going in with our 3rd string QB starting, expectations weren't all that high, but when Dixon started showing promise and actually got us the lead in the 4th quarter, hope emerged. Losing how we did after that threw me into the doldrums.

I have never felt this way after a loss. I wasn't apathetic at all during the game. I was screaming like a madman, and when the ref threw that flag for unnecessary roughness on the forearm-to-chest hit that they thought was helmet-to-helmet, I threw down my hat as hard as I ever had during a Steeler game. I just seriously felt absolutely nothing at the end of that game. I wasn't sad or mad or anything. Just numb. And it had nothing to do with the temperature outside.

I don't think I was the only one either. I didn't see much in the line of crying or screaming or any other emotional reaction from anyone else after the game either. We just seemed to walk out of the stadium like emotionless zombies with every last bit of passion sucked out of our bodies.

It was an odd feeling, and unlike anything I have experienced before following a Steeler game. For what it's worth, I fully expect to watch the Browns game this Thursday with intense interest as always, and I will continue to contribute to the Heinz bedlam for the Packers and Ravens games this month, so I did not lose my nerve or my heart yesterday...it was just an empty feeling that took over when the clock hit zero.

I am glad that we get to go out there again this Thursday night. I need a new feeling in regard to my football team, and I wouldn't want to have to wait until Sunday.

Well brother you are a bigger man than me. I'm extremely pi$$ed off. Losing like this is pathetic. My contributions to this board has been less and less during this mediocre/losing season, in fear of getting into some flame war with some other poster with a differing opinion. And in recognition of my anger, I've officially revised my previous board incarnation of....

AngryAsian!

SidSmythe
12-07-2009, 04:12 PM
I felt the exact same way ... even in the first half.

BUT when we lost I actually had no emotion ... I think we are in the acceptance phase of mourning.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 04:51 PM

Well brother you are a bigger man than me. I'm extremely pi$$ed off. Losing like this is pathetic. My contributions to this board has been less and less during this mediocre/losing season, in fear of getting into some flame war with some other poster with a differing opinion. And in recognition of my anger, I've officially revised my previous board incarnation of....

AngryAsian!

I wasn't expecting to feel nothing. It caught me completely by surprise, since I was a raving madman for every one of those 4th quarter defensive series that resulted in TD's for them. It just felt like every last bit of energy was sapped from my being as soon as the Hail Mary pass hit the turf. It was odd. I expected anger, frustration, disappointment, all of the above...but I guess I had nothing left. I was planning to watch the Ravens-Packers game tonight, but I don't think I can stomach it. I think I'll watch the Pens game instead to get my mind off of football for a little while.

Oh, and by the way, folks...you don't want to make Asian angry. You won't like him when he's angry.

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/77/039_44343.jpg

Of course, instead of turning green, he turns yellow. Or at least a more pronounced shade of yellow than he is normally. :x :lol:

ikestops85
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Even when Hines caught the go ahead score I wasn't happy. Instead of doing my usual TD dance I just mumbled "too much time left". Looking back I think all emotion drained from my body when we went down 13-10. From that point on I was numb as I realized even if we beat the Raiders this team isn't going anywhere playing the way they are.

I'll be revved up this Thursday but for now the realization that for all intents and purpose this season is over has me very subdued.

Oviedo
12-07-2009, 05:11 PM
i felt the same yesterday. nothing is suprising to me any more after losing to the chiefs. im way past the screaming on sunday's and being depressed the rest of the week. i've thrown in the towel for this season. might as well evaluate some young talent and fill some holes in the off season

Couldn't had said it better myself. Just one of those years. Fortunately for us these season come around about every 5 years. For most of the NFL this is EVERY year.

grotonsteel
12-07-2009, 05:27 PM

Well said...

I was not at all upset or angry. Once Hines scored the TD i knew Steelers D will blow up. I don't think i came on this board yesterday to vent which i normally do after every loss.

Time to check the new DBs.

Wolfhound45
12-07-2009, 05:28 PM
I just seriously felt absolutely nothing at the end of that game. I wasn't sad or mad or anything. Just numb.

Ditto. Could not have said it better.

From my perspective, it is hard to get excited about your team when it looks like on the field they are just going through the motions.

Must be what it is like to be a Browns fan after the 2nd game of the season.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 05:36 PM
$$$ post RB. It's so darned funny. We had my daughter's high school volley ball dinner and award ceremony around 5 last night. I got ready quick and was sitting on my bed watching the end of the game. My wife was in the bathroom doing her hair or makeup or whatever and she kept looking at me. She was like, what are you grinning and shaking your head about? I said that I know we'll blow this somehow. Through that last 7 or 8 minutes, all I could do is shake my head and grin. I was thinking, this is absolutely surreal. How in the HELL has this team morphed into what it is now? At the end, I simply put on my shoes and went to the dinner and laughed and enjoyed myself. At the dinner, my wife and I were paired up with another couple at a table. The husband starts talking about the Steelers. Turns out, he's a huge Steelers lover like yours truly. He kept saying, I knew it, I don't even care now, it's an emotional investment without return this season. Wow, how true a statement is that?

BTW, welcome back Angry Asian, I missed you! :D

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee234/picara88/angry20asian.jpg
:moon :lol:

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r127/groovytuai/114928.jpg

Jooser
12-07-2009, 05:54 PM
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k175/holdenmckock/Motivational%20posters/angry.jpg

ok. I'll stop :D

MeetJoeGreene
12-07-2009, 05:55 PM
For the first time since I can remember, I couldn't finish watching the game.

I couldn't put myself through that pain in real-time again.

I just knew they were going to blow it. I just did.

Our defense needs a fire enema.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 06:12 PM
For the first time since I can remember, I couldn't finish watching the game.

I couldn't put myself through that pain in real-time again.

I just knew they were going to blow it. I just did.

Our defense needs a fire enema.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg70/hatchc4/Enema.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wolfhound45
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Nothing against Jom112 (who is a complete and total class act, hands down), but it is pretty sad day in Steeler Country when a Bengals fan is posting on planetsteelers.com and trying to console Steelers fans after a loss.

How low we have sunk.

BURGH86STEEL
12-07-2009, 11:34 PM

I will no longer allow myself to get angry or down over the things in sports that I can't control. I've learned over the years not to get to high with the highs and to lows with the lows. It has been a tough year for Steelers fans up to this point. It's really been a season of a play here or there and we win. I know that we still have a solid team that should be a solid contender for at least the next 2 to 3 years. I also don't believe this team needs to make radical changes to be among the NFL's elite teams.

I will admit that one thing rubbed me the wrong way while watching the game at a sports bar here in Philly. The Eagles fans let out a loud cheer when the Raiders scored that final TD. Some Eagles fans can be real A holes. As if they cheer for a team that won one SB let a lone 6.

DukieBoy
12-07-2009, 11:58 PM
My emotions in this game ran from
uninspired
to
cynical
to
apathetic.

It's epidemic, or so it seems.

Jom112
12-10-2009, 04:52 PM
http://deadspin.com/5423289/the-five-st ... oo-week-14 (http://deadspin.com/5423289/the-five-stages-of-football-grief--jamboroo-week-14)

Article made me think of this thread...

SteelAbility
12-10-2009, 05:41 PM
The final stage of Steelers doldrums, after all playoff hope is completely lost, is marked by intensity ... rooting for the Patriots to lose.