PDA

View Full Version : Season sort of reminscent of 1998 (coin flip year)

brothervad
12-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Steelers were looking fairly solid at 7-4 going into their Thanksgiving game against Detroit. Detroit that year finished 5-11 and at the time were 4-7.

We were up all game long on the Lions 13-6 until blowing a lead in the 4th Quarter (gave up 10 points--sound familiar?)

It went to overtime lost the flip (the game that changed the rules on calling a coin toss).

And we lost in OT.

but here is where it gets hauntingly familiar.

For some reason the Steelers lost their confidence/ability to win and dropped the next 4 games to finish 7-9 (and then subsequently picked Troy Edwards and Scott Shields in the next draft :( )

While not the same exact thing (Steeler Offense was horrible under Kordel Stewart)...it does appear that the Steelers lost something that day in KC.

I do not for one minute believe any of the team that beat Minnesota, SD, Denver is this bad. The Steelers have lost their Mojo.

What I think they need and are getting is the opportunity to beat the piss out of someone. a nice 42-0, 5 TD game by Ben. I think a close win will do nothing. They need to destroy Cleveland to get their groove back.

brothervad

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 02:44 PM
thats exactly what i thought, but i did not post it caz i have posted enought today....this is really similar to 98. the begining of 3 years of no playoffs...

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 03:54 PM
Steelers were looking fairly solid at 7-4 going into their Thanksgiving game against Detroit. Detroit that year finished 5-11 and at the time were 4-7.

We were up all game long on the Lions 13-6 until blowing a lead in the 4th Quarter (gave up 10 points--sound familiar?)

It went to overtime lost the flip (the game that changed the rules on calling a coin toss).

And we lost in OT.

For some reason the Steelers lost their confidence/ability to win and dropped the next 4 games to finish 7-9 (and then subsequently picked Troy Edwards and Scott Shields in the next draft :( )

While not the same exact thing (Steeler Offense was horrible under Kordel Stewart)...it does appear that the Steelers lost something that day in KC.

I do not for one minute believe any of the team that beat Minnesota, SD, Denver is this bad. The Steelers have lost their Mojo.

What I think they need and are getting is the opportunity to beat the piss out of someone. a nice 42-0, 5 TD game by Ben. I think a close win will do nothing. They need to destroy Cleveland to get their groove back.

brothervad

Thankfully we have Kevin Colbert. Who oddly enough, was with Detroit.

SidSmythe
12-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Yes, it is similar but at the same time we don't have a future w/ Stewart or Kent Graham.

We have Ben to help bring us out of this pit (unless he gives up football to enter the Mission Field). :stirpot

brothervad
12-07-2009, 04:30 PM

And we lost in OT.

brothervad

lol, no kidding. that 1999 draft was perhaps the worst draft I have ever seen in retrospect. Joey Porter , Aaron Smith and Kris Brown and that's it.

Rd Pick Player Selected School Pos
1 13 Troy Edwards Louisiana Tech WR
2 28***** Scott Shields Weber St. DB
3 12***** Joey Porter Colorado St. DL/LB
3 13 Kris Farris UCLA OT
3 34* Amos Zereoue West Virginia RB
4 14 Aaron Smith Northern Colorado DL
5 3** Jerame Tuman Michigan TE
5 33* Malcolm Johnson Notre Dame WR
7 8*** Antonio Dingle Virginia DL
7 13 Chad Kelsay Nebraska LB
7 22**** Kris Brown Nebraska PK

brothervad

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 05:03 PM

And we lost in OT.

brothervad

lol, no kidding. that 1999 draft was perhaps the worst draft I have ever seen in retrospect. Joey Porter , Aaron Smith and Kris Brown and that's it.

3 13 Kris Farris UCLA OT

brothervad

We are so used to Colbert nailing his early picks that this pre-Colbert draft looks odd. But it is not a bad draft overall, after those first two "swing-and-a-miss" picks, plus Farris, who blocked like a girl (let's make it a point not to draft any more UCLA players in the 3rd round anymore, okay? Lake was great in the first, but Farris and Davis in the 3rd were painful Bruin picks). Joey Porter and Aaron Smith were tremendous 3rd and 4th round picks. Would we have won SBXL without either of them? No way. Zereoue and Tuman were contributors for several years (not great, but not outright busts either). And Kris Brown is still a starting kicker in the NFL today, even though Heinz Field swallowed him up and spit him out. The rest does suck (although Chad's brother Chris a decent player in Buffalo).

Oviedo
12-07-2009, 05:06 PM
This year has been surreal. Its just like the team is playing in a daze at times expecting something good to happen versus making it happen. Complete contrast to last year.

No clearer evidence than Steelers' fans blaming the offense for not protecting our defense because the offense scores to quickly. That is something I thought I would never hear aboutthe Steelers.

brothervad
12-07-2009, 05:23 PM

And we lost in OT.

brothervad

3 13 Kris Farris UCLA OT

brothervad

We are so used to Colbert nailing his early picks that this pre-Colbert draft looks odd. But it is not a bad draft overall, after those first two "swing-and-a-miss" picks, plus Farris, who blocked like a girl (let's make it a point not to draft any more UCLA players in the 3rd round anymore, okay? Lake was great in the first, but Farris and Davis in the 3rd were painful Bruin picks). Joey Porter and Aaron Smith were tremendous 3rd and 4th round picks. Would we have won SBXL without either of them? No way. Zereoue and Tuman were contributors for several years (not great, but not outright busts either). And Kris Brown is still a starting kicker in the NFL today, even though Heinz Field swallowed him up and spit him out. The rest does suck (although Chad's brother Chris a decent player in Buffalo).

Normally I would tend to agree, but truth is 3 out of 11 picks had any semblance of an NFL career. It wasn't like a Mike Vrabel where he couldn't find a spot due to depth. None of the remaining 8 picks had any semblance of an NFL career after the draft.

I agree the 3 we got were really good, but I guess I come to expect a better than a 27% success rate under Colbert.

brothervad

Wolfhound45
12-07-2009, 11:17 PM
I think you are dead on brother. The only place I would disagree with you is where we lost our confidence. Though the comparison with KC and Detroit is very apt (and probably correct), I would say we actually lost it against the Bengals. KC was just the icing on the cake.

NorthCoast
12-08-2009, 12:58 AM
I think the defense is suffering a Troy-hangover. The secondary was so used to Troy covering mistakes and making the big plays. Now, we hear horror stories of miscommunications at critical points. We have no one stepping up to make an interception. We need players going after the ball, not the man.....'safe defense' isnt getting it done anymore. KC set the gameplan to beat the Steelers, it's called bombs away.