PDA

View Full Version : Is It Time to Trade Polamalu?

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2009, 12:07 PM
Before you stone me, hear me out.

The dude is undeniably a star player, a difference-maker whenever he's on the field.
But therein lies the problem...he's so injury-prone that about half the time, he's NOT ON the field. And when he's not on the field, he is ZERO help to this team.

Here's my question--and I'm not necessarily advocating it, just thinking out loud--Would the Steelers be better off (if they could swing such a deal) to trade Troy and get two not-quite-as-good (but still very good) DB's who are less injury-prone and could actually make a play such as an interception once in awhile?

I know, just the mention of trading Troy is probably considered heresy by most of you,
but it seems we're always waiting for him to get healthy, and it's getting old. It's also getting old watching all our other DB's FAIL to make plays. Right now, Pola still would have a very high trade value.

Whatcha'll think?

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 12:11 PM
I think it's time to trade in our defensive scheme that has him blitzing against D linemen play after play.

Troy's speed and reaction time would make him nearly unstoppable as a center-field safety like Ed Reed, and would extend his career greatly.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
trade the best defensive player on this team? hell no. even 2 average db's are not worth it. troy doesnt blitz against the pass half as much as he use to but i agree with him playing back in coverage more

steelblood
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I think it's time to trade in our defensive scheme that has him blitzing against D linemen play after play.

Troy's speed and reaction time would make him nearly unstoppable as a center-field safety like Ed Reed, and would extend his career greatly.

Lou,

Tomlin has turned him into more of a centerfielder. It was Cowher who stubbornly blitzed Troy time after time in passing situations. Since Tomlin has been here we've played more of a cover two look with Troy back in coverage in virtually all passing situations. Troy's interception rate has doubled as well. I give Tomlin a lot of credit for using Troy properly.

Troy is a SS though, not a FS like Reed. On 1st and 2nd down he is very valuable up near the line as a run blitzer off the edge.

At any rate, I agree that troy is best in coverage in passing situations. The ground that he can cover coupled with his instincts make him invaluable to this team. If he had been healthy this year, we'd be in a much different situation right now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 12:18 PM
I won't stone you...Just a bucket of water. :wink:

In the regular season, Troy has missed only 8 games out of 96 possible before this year. I wouldn't put him in the "injury prone" category just yet. 2 knee injuries this year are a killer. Contact knee injuries don't throw up a flag as much as running knee injuries. I would see how he heals and what happens next year. In contrast would be Bob Sanders. He has missed 35 of 80 games before this year. If that was Troy's numbers, I would be on board.

Steelgal
12-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Now I understand how Colts fans feel, since Troy has seemed to take on the Bob Sanders level of injuries...............

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2009, 12:31 PM
Now I understand how Colts fans feel, since Troy has seemed to take on the Bob Sanders level of injuries...............

The difference is, the Colts seem to be able to find a way to win without Sanders.

Steeler Mafia
12-07-2009, 12:50 PM

The difference is, the Colts seem to be able to find a way to win without Sanders.

That wasn't always the case. The Colts had to learn how to play D without Sanders in the game the last few years. Apparently we need to do the same with Troy.

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 12:57 PM
its not a terrible question IMO, but we already have 2 average Dbags, i mean DBACKS...we dont need more...turning point of the season was the titan game and him getting hurt

ikestops85
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
Before you stone me, hear me out.

The dude is undeniably a star player, a difference-maker whenever he's on the field.
But therein lies the problem...he's so injury-prone that about half the time, he's NOT ON the field. And when he's not on the field, he is ZERO help to this team.

Here's my question--and I'm not necessarily advocating it, just thinking out loud--Would the Steelers be better off (if they could swing such a deal) to trade Troy and get two not-quite-as-good (but still very good) DB's who are less injury-prone and could actually make a play such as an interception once in awhile?

I know, just the mention of trading Troy is probably considered heresy by most of you,
but it seems we're always waiting for him to get healthy, and it's getting old. It's also getting old watching all our other DB's FAIL to make plays. Right now, Pola still would have a very high trade value.

Whatcha'll think?

It's a reasonable question and stated well. While it is frustrating to see Troy on the sidelines while the team implodes I don't think you can get rid of such an impact player. Although I can't prove it I think Troy is the difference between our record of 6-6 and what could have been 9-3. That's a helluva difference maker and one I wouldn't want to give up.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 01:13 PM
Considering that I would be reasonably confident in our D against Peyton or Brees if Troy were playing, and that I was reasonably worried about our D yesterday against Gradkowski with Troy not playing...no, I wouldn't trade Troy for anything right now. He manages to make this defense flourish, and they crumble in crucial times without him. No way I voluntarily let that go regardless of what I could get in return (i.e. there is not another player in Troy's stratosphere).

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2009, 01:15 PM
Move Troy to FS, trade up and draft Taylor Mays, put him at Strong Safety.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 01:30 PM

You may not have to trade up for Mays...it appears that we will be picking in the middle portion of the draft anyway, which is where I think Mays might land (I think Tennessee's ballhawking safety Eric Berry goes before Mays in the draft, likely in the top 10). Although Mays will likely live up to his "Trojan Torpedo" moniker (his combination of size, speed, and hitting ability is without peer), I'd prefer a safety with better coverage ability and ball skills, which is our defense's true weakness right now.

aggiebones
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
What you do is through this season in the trashcan, like most Super Bowl winner's following seasons.
Then start fresh next season with some hunger. Hopefully Troy and Ben will have righted themselves by then and the new defensive personnel figures out the defense.

The sad thing lost is the incredible season Ward is having and it could well be his last great season and they are wasting it.
Noone on defense is having a good season, though some have some stats.
I don't think its all Troy being out either. DEs have been in shambles all season. Gay has done poorly. I don't think its schematic as much as the guys in there are making others look bad. At the end of last game, Burnett and Mundy made mistakes. I kinda wish they weren't needed at the end of a game. But it is what it is. Unfortunately this could hurt Lebeau's big chance for the Hall. The D needed to give him one last boost to the Hall and they have clearly failed, in part to him and everyone there, no doubt. Just saying its bad timing for a bad D season.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2009, 01:42 PM

You may not have to trade up for Mays...it appears that we will be picking in the middle portion of the draft anyway, which is where I think Mays might land (I think Tennessee's ballhawking safety Eric Berry goes before Mays in the draft, likely in the top 10). Although Mays will likely live up to his "Trojan Torpedo" moniker (his combination of size, speed, and hitting ability is without peer), I'd prefer a safety with better coverage ability and ball skills, which is our defense's true weakness right now.

That is why you move Troy to FS. The way he is used right now he is a mini hybrid linebacker that takes on 300 pound linemen on a consistent basis. Move him to FS and let him just worry about run support and his superior coverage skills. You move him to FS and he probably has 8 picks in a season.

grotonsteel
12-07-2009, 01:54 PM
I don't know whether it is because of the USC Linebackers or D-line but Taylor Mays has struggled big time this season.

I would prefer Steelers drafting Brandon Spikes or R Mclain from Bama in 1st Rd.

2nd Rd --> Ras-I Dowling , Virginia

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
That is why you move Troy to FS. The way he is used right now he is a mini hybrid linebacker that takes on 300 pound linemen on a consistent basis. Move him to FS and let him just worry about run support and his superior coverage skills. You move him to FS and he probably has 8 picks in a season.

He'd be hands down the best player in the NFL as a true FS. His read and react skills are beyond insanely good. He'd be lights out.

I'm no draft expert but I definitely see the need for a stud 3-4 NT (assuming we stay 3-4...). What about a NT early and then try to pick up TJ Ward, as I've seen him going as low as the second round.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM

Taylor Mays won't make it past Al Davis. Ed Reed, I mean Eric Berry, will be a top 10 pick. I don't think either will fall to where you guys are picking. Mays you have a decent shot at until he runs the 40.

BTW, great idea to trade Polamalu. Well if your a Bengals fan like me it's great... :lol:

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 02:08 PM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":15pzi7jp]Move Troy to FS, trade up and draft Taylor Mays, put him at Strong Safety.

That is why you move Troy to FS. The way he is used right now he is a mini hybrid linebacker that takes on 300 pound linemen on a consistent basis. Move him to FS and let him just worry about run support and his superior coverage skills. You move him to FS and he probably has 8 picks in a season.[/quote:15pzi7jp]

He's only taking on those guys because he is quick to the play. Not because he's being blitzed as often as many of you think he is.

As was stated earlier, before this season he's only missed 8 of 96 games.

This is a foolish thread.

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
I don't know whether it is because of the USC Linebackers or D-line but Taylor Mays has struggled big time this season.

I would prefer Steelers drafting Brandon Spikes or R Mclain from Bama in 1st Rd.

In the middle of the first, give me the guy that eats up blockers (and apparently everything else) in order to free up McClain to make plays...Terrence Cody as a replacement for Hampton. I think we are okay at ILB with Timmons, Farrior, and Fox for now (I wouldn't mind drafting an ILB in the middle rounds for depth, but not in the first).

In the secondary, I love Tennessee safety Eric Berry (the next Ed Reed?), but he will be long gone...I would look at Florida CB Joe Haden if he lasted until the mid first (but I think a beast of a NT is more vital to a 3-4 than a cover corner).

I like your call of Dowling if he falls to us in the 2nd. Do you see him as a CB or FS at the next level?

By the way, I hate the fact that the team is playing so poorly right now that I am talking draft this @#$%ing early.

feltdizz
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM
It's the Madden Curse... and it's not like Troy was hurt blitzing...
He was hurt on a fluke play. The Colts win without Sanders but theyalways blow it in the
playoffs...

I think the Colts would trade a 12-4 season for a 7-9 season if SB win proceded it. What was the Colts record after they won the SB? Did they even make the playoffs?

We tend to over react after a SB hangover season. Lose some of the dead weight and find a few more hungry players who want a ring.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 02:20 PM

Mays has a lot of flaws but his crazy speed will make up for them if you put him behind a good front 7. Which you guys still have. Joe McKnight even said Mays is faster than him which is ridiculous.

But I do agree with you though that Spikes would be a better pick. He's a really good blitzing LB. You combine him and Timmons and you'll have the best blitzing ILB's in the NFL.

There is some phenomenal defense talent entering the NFL in this upcoming draft: Suh, McCoy, Berry, Mays, Haden, Spikes. Can't wait to do the mocks...

steelblood
12-07-2009, 02:56 PM
I think Spikes is the superior athlete to McClain. But, McClain is a better football player imho. Spikes whiffs too much and McClain is just nasty and always near the ball.

grotonsteel
12-07-2009, 03:12 PM

In the middle of the first, give me the guy that eats up blockers (and apparently everything else) in order to free up McClain to make plays...Terrence Cody as a replacement for Hampton. I think we are okay at ILB with Timmons, Farrior, and Fox for now (I wouldn't mind drafting an ILB in the middle rounds for depth, but not in the first).

In the secondary, I love Tennessee safety Eric Berry (the next Ed Reed?), but he will be long gone...I would look at Florida CB Joe Haden if he lasted until the mid first (but I think a beast of a NT is more vital to a 3-4 than a cover corner).

I like your call of Dowling if he falls to us in the 2nd. Do you see him as a CB or FS at the next level?

By the way, I hate the fact that the team is playing so poorly right now that I am talking draft this @#$%ing early.

Getting Terrence Cody will be awesome. Cody/Spikes will be an improvement over Hampton/Farrior

I see Dowling as a FS in NFL.

Joe Haden will also be a great pick but will Steelers pick him in 1st RD even though he is available since Steelers have invested 2 draft picks in last draft?

I am intrigued by Donovan Warren from Mich but not sure he will come out this draft.

We need some ball hawking player who can make a play.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Mount Cody will be long gone before we pick. Too many teams are switching to the 3-4 and they realize they need a nose as much as we do. Spikes has great sideline to sideline speed. Him and timmons would be insanely good in the middle. Joe haden has great make up speed. long arms. and good instincts. UF has a few guys coming out that I'd like to have. in fact i think ALL their DB's will come out. and they're all damn good players.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 03:31 PM
I am intrigued by Donovan Warren from Mich but not sure he will come out this draft.

We need some ball hawking player who can make a play.

Donovan Warren would be a great 2nd round pick for you guys if he lasts that long. I think he'll definitely declare for the draft.

I've been eyeing him since Leon Hall and Morgan Trent have stepped us nicely for us. Michigan corners and USC Lb's have been a good recipe for success...

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM
This thread is almost not worth replying too... except to state that it's not worth replying to.

I suppose we should trade away A. Smith too. How about Mendenhall, since he has missed much larger percentage of games than Troy.

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 03:47 PM
He was hurt on a fluke play. The Colts win without Sanders but theyalways blow it in the
playoffs...

I think the Colts would trade a 12-4 season for a 7-9 season if SB win proceded it. What was the Colts record after they won the SB? Did they even make the playoffs?

We tend to over react after a SB hangover season. Lose some of the dead weight and find a few more hungry players who want a ring.

In the NFL many players get hurt every season. Star or otherwise.

There is no silly Madden Curse. I am absolutely amazed that any sane, rational adult would buy into such hogwash.

feltdizz
12-07-2009, 05:32 PM
playoffs...

There is no silly Madden Curse. I am absolutely amazed that any sane, rational adult would buy into such hogwash.

you can only buy into something if it's being sold... Go back and look at the players who have been on the cover and show me how many had a decent season... The numbers are baffling. I said it as a joke for those who scream there isn't a curse... Yet when you research the history it's obvious that the chances of having a good season are slim to none.

Since 1999... When they started putting players on the cover
Hearst... great season but breaks ankle in playoffs and misses 2 full seasons
Barry Sanders... Retires out of nowhere.
Eddie George... Fails to crack 1000 yards and miss the playoffs
Culpepper... 19 less TD's and the worst Vikes record ever
mcnabb...knocked out for the year after 8or 9 games
vick... Broke his leg in the preseason
faulk... Had a yukkie year and retired soon after.
VY... Meltdown and benched
Ray Lewis.... Avoided the curse and had a decent season
Favre.... Had a great year with the Jets. Not!!!
Troy... Freak injury on a blocked FG and missed most of the season and we are 6-6.

Out of 11 players 2 had decent seasons and one of them still missed 2 seasons after a
playoff injury. It's definitely a reoccurring coincedence... :roll:

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
No.

Next question.

Steeler Mafia
12-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Trade away our best Defensive player?

C'mon Man!

Chadman
12-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Chadman would have absolutely no problem moving Troy to FS. After all, as has been discussed by the Steelers in the past, the Safety position for the Steelers is interchagable between SS & FS- it's why a SS in Ryan Clark was able to switch to FS with little problem.

However, moving Troy to 'protect' him is not the right reason. If it's now at the stage that Troy is so fragile he must be protected, you have to consider the value for money in having him on the roster. Personally, Chadman thinks Troy is fine- injuries happen. THe problem is that there is so little depth behind him, and the scheme is so reliant on him being there. Blame the coaches & scouting staff for the significant drop-off with Troy out.

The Steelers need to target a NT & a Safety this off-season- be it through the draft or FA. The Safety needs to be a 'playmaker'. If he happens to be a SS, then yes, shift Troy to FS. If it's a FS, then leave Troy as he is.

As for trading Troy- no. You won't see the 'value' in the return. Trade Ike? Now THAT might be an idea worth investigating..

Shoe
12-07-2009, 08:53 PM
playoffs...

you can only buy into something if it's being sold... Go back and look at the players who have been on the cover and show me how many had a decent season... The numbers are baffling. I said it as a joke for those who scream there isn't a curse... Yet when you research the history it's obvious that the chances of having a good season are slim to none.

Troy... Freak injury on a blocked FG and missed most of the season and we are 6-6.

Out of 11 players 2 had decent seasons and one of them still missed 2 seasons after a

People downplay it but it's hard to argue with... next year, put Brett Favre and Peyton Manning and Tom Brady* on it. Actually, put any Patroit player on.

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 08:58 PM
For those that say that it isn't a coincidence, I would like to know what exactly you think causes this curse. I'm curious.

Mel Blount's G
12-07-2009, 09:29 PM
playoffs...

I just needed to say that trying to scoop up a loose ball from a pile of writhing 200-300 lb football players, all after that same loose ball, and having your knee tweaked is about as far from a "freak" injury as possible.

Okay, carry on.

BURGH86STEEL
12-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Some people were saying trade Troy a couple of years ago. That would had looked real dumb. I don't believe would had won the SB last year without Troy.

Troy was not hurt on a routine play. Troy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I say no, you don't trade one of the best players in the league when he has shown no signs of slowing down. He is still in the prime if his career.

Shoe
12-08-2009, 01:59 AM
I'm not saying we should trade him at all... after all, I think I love watching him play as much as ANY Steeler I've ever watched (Lloyd, Woodson, Ward, etc.)

But in terms of stepping up as a leader and tough guy, he doesn't do that... e.g. Hines has looked awfully hurt on many many occasions... yet he consistently goes out and straps it up.

Same goes for the other aforementioned... and pretty much every star player we've had over the past 20 years. But Troy?

I don't see that. He consistently takes longer to come back from injury. Again, I love watching him and him being out there; but that's my honest opinion.

stlrz d
12-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I'm not saying we should trade him at all... after all, I think I love watching him play as much as ANY Steeler I've ever watched (Lloyd, Woodson, Ward, etc.)

But in terms of stepping up as a leader and tough guy, he doesn't do that... e.g. Hines has looked awfully hurt on many many occasions... yet he consistently goes out and straps it up.

Same goes for the other aforementioned... and pretty much every star player we've had over the past 20 years. But Troy?

I don't see that. He consistently takes longer to come back from injury. Again, I love watching him and him being out there; but that's my honest opinion.

Have you ever had a knee injury?

NWNewell
12-08-2009, 12:05 PM

Sure... he should tough it out... go out there and limp around the field and get burnt on every play! That would be better for the team! :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Sure... he should tough it out... go out there and limp around the field and get burnt on every play! That would be better for the team! :HeadBanger

Yeah, since his playmaking is based on speed an explosiveness, an injured Troy would not be an effective Troy, so let him heal.

On the other hand, when is Ben going to complain about Hines not playing 4 days after a hamstring injury, just like Hines was complaining about Ben not playing 7 days after a head injury?

:stirpot

ramblinjim
12-08-2009, 12:16 PM
I think you have to give Troy another year of injuries before we consider trading him. I agree that you always have to be looking to get better and perhaps this would be something to consider one of these days. It hurts to say it though. I admit.

webofsteel75
12-08-2009, 11:09 PM
troy is obvious the lifeline of the defense just like joey porter in '05, in my opinion and when he left we had a horriable season after. noone has stepped up to fill that role since troy has been out. i understand the thought of trading him because of the way that we are playing, but just cause hes down doesnt mean hes out, he is untracable during plays, and doesnt buckle. our DB's have been inconsistent throughout the past few years we need his leardership and INTENSITY. :tt2

papillon
12-08-2009, 11:39 PM
Why stop with Polamalu? Lets trade Ben too. Can you imagine how good we'll be then after we pick a couple first rounders for Ben? We'd be on the path to three or four more superbowls by trading those two players.

Man, it's amazing the things you read on this board and any other board after a rough stretch of games. Do you realize who owns and runs the Pittsburgh Steelers? When was the last time saw panic or knee jerk reactions from the Rooneys? They have built the Steelers for 40 years with the same philosophy: draft well, develop young players and keep your core group together at all costs and compete year in and year with an occasional down period.

So, now the Steelers have 4 first round picks 2 each for Ben and Troy, who should they draft? :P

Pappy

stlrz d
12-09-2009, 12:38 AM
Why stop with Polamalu? Lets trade Ben too. Can you imagine how good we'll be then after we pick a couple first rounders for Ben? We'd be on the path to three or four more superbowls by trading those two players.

Man, it's amazing the things you read on this board and any other board after a rough stretch of games. Do you realize who owns and runs the Pittsburgh Steelers? When was the last time saw panic or knee jerk reactions from the Rooneys? They have built the Steelers for 40 years with the same philosophy: draft well, develop young players and keep your core group together at all costs and compete year in and year with an occasional down period.

So, now the Steelers have 4 first round picks 2 each for Ben and Troy, who should they draft? :P

Pappy

Trade down!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-09-2009, 10:03 AM
[quote="Mister Pittsburgh":qirmrobl]Move Troy to FS, trade up and draft Taylor Mays, put him at Strong Safety.

He's only taking on those guys because he is quick to the play. Not because he's being blitzed as often as many of you think he is.

As was stated earlier, before this season he's only missed 8 of 96 games.

This is a foolish thread.[/quote:qirmrobl]

I agree. He has not been doing the blitzing up the middle thing in a few years. His injury was not an "injury prone" thing, it is a "big fat 300 pounder fell on my leg" thing.

IMO, also lost in this thread was the huge loss of Aaron Smith. I've been banging for years on the fact that he is by far our most underrated player and when coupled with the missed games by Troy we are missing 2 out of our best 3 or 4 defenders - in positions where we don't have backups that can play anywhere near their levels.

stlrz d
12-09-2009, 10:05 AM
I think Smith is missed more in the pass D than he is in the run D this season.

papillon
12-09-2009, 10:19 AM

I've said this in many threads recently. Smith had two sacks in 5 games and would have probably ended with 5 or 6 for the year. He also routinely collapses the pocket and applies pressure in the face of the quarterback allowing the playmakers on the outside to make plays. The defense has missed him more than most realize.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-09-2009, 01:27 PM

I've said this in many threads recently. Smith had two sacks in 5 games and would have probably ended with 5 or 6 for the year. He also routinely collapses the pocket and applies pressure in the face of the quarterback allowing the playmakers on the outside to make plays. The defense has missed him more than most realize.

Pappy

It hasn't been as bad as last time Aaron went down, when the performance went from excellent with him there to atrocious without him. Kirschke/Eason/Hood have filled in admirably, but there is still a significant drop from Smith, who is great at what he does, to those guys, you are merely filling the role adequately.