PDA

View Full Version : Madden Monday: Take Ward at his word?

fordfixer
12-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Madden Monday: Take Ward at his word?

By: Mark Madden
Beaver County Times
http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sport ... -word.html (http://www.timesonline.com/sports/sports_details/article/1424/2009/december/07/madden-monday-take-ward-at-his-word.html)

Monday December 7, 2009 12:15 AM

In a Facebook post, Hines Ward said he had apologized to Ben Roethlisberger and things were cool between them. Ward also added, “The media will not get comments about this situation from me.”

Until, of course, the media did. Ward couldn’t help himself.

Ward is egocentric, which Webster defines as “concerned with the individual rather than society.” Nothing need be added.

Ward wasn’t content with questioning Roethlisberger’s courage on national television via Bob Costas. He followed up that diatribe by telling the local media, “Me personally, I’m playing.” That further emphasized that Roethlisberger didn’t play and that Ward believes himself to be tougher. It also ignores that Roethlisberger was told by doctors and the coaching staff that he couldn’t play.

Roethlisberger, meanwhile, made one comment — he was “hurt” by Ward’s interview — then declined further discussion. Roethlisberger did what Ward promised to do, but didn’t: Made one statement, then shut up.

The Pittsburgh football media mostly let this story die. Tiger Woods pitched in. The Steelers should send Woods a thank-you note.

The defense of what Ward said to Costas was laughable. Ward questioning Roethlisberger’s heart was the entire context of the interview and thus impossible to take out of context. Trying to make former Patriot-cum-NBC analyst Rodney Harrison the villain was lame. The media did not overhype Ward’s comments, especially considering Ward chose to rekindle the fire mid-week.

Even nuttier is the notion that Mike Tomlin didn’t properly inform his players about Roethlisberger’s health. Why do they need to know? Do Ward and the anti-Ben 50 percent need a reason to be good teammates?
Advertisement Greek Catholic Union

Tomlin’s excuse-making made him look weak. He appeared to have inadequate control of the situation, and of Ward.

Is Ward really sorry? Even if he is, does a private apology make up for a skewering on national TV?

A better question: Can Roethlisberger and Ward indefinitely co-exist on the same team? Despite public statements of respect between the two, it’s no secret they don’t like each other. Ben might not care who’s perceived as King Steeler, but Hines does, and it’s not him.

Of still more intrigue was Ward’s declaration that half the Steelers thought Roethlisberger should have played. How true is that? How deep does that opinion run?

The Steelers are surely fortunate to have so many media cheerleaders locally. But this story will have more repercussions, whether we hear about them or not, especially now that four straight losses and a fade from playoff contention figure to turn the Steelers sour and fragile.

The Steelers could solve the problem after the season by getting rid of Roethlisberger or Ward. But both are indispensible to the Steelers’ success. Ward is closer to the end than to his prime, but dumping him would rally the locker room and fans against Roethlisberger. And you simply don’t ditch the best money quarterback in football.

So you move on. Maybe everyone involved will shut up, but I doubt it.

Mark Madden hosts a radio show 3-6 p.m. weekdays on WXDX-FM (105.9).

SteelBucks
12-07-2009, 09:28 AM
I know Madden and Ward don't get along, but it's time for him to let this go. I think the team has more important things to worry about.

brothervad
12-07-2009, 12:55 PM
"It's no secret that they don't like each other..."

Really? Maybe it's the distance from Pittsburgh, but I have never heard a peep that Ben and Hines don't get along.

Of course, Madden is on the Pittsburgh "A" List so he would know. :roll:

brothervad

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2009, 01:38 PM
Personally, I think Madden is right on with this article. Hines threw Ben under the bus. Hines is a media whore.

SteelBucks
12-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Personally, I think Madden is right on with this article. Hines threw Ben under the bus. Hines is a media whore.

The article was appropriate last week...not a week after the incident. All Madden is trying to do is keep it on the front page because it involves Ward.

proudpittsburgher
12-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Tubby liked to refer to Hines Ward as "Whines Hard" when I used to listen to him, just before he decided that it was all about getting ratings, instead of just using intelligent sports talk as a schtick. I wouldn't put much stock into what this guy thinks.

Steel Life
12-07-2009, 11:07 PM
Really Madden...really? Aside from being a day late & dollar short with the article, Madden's obsession with Ward borders on the pathetic at this point.

BATMAN
12-08-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm north of the burgh and I never heard that Ben and Hines do not get along.

It was out of line for what Ward had said and he is way off about Bens character.

As much as I like Hines, it wasn't his place to talk that stuff to the public.

I think Hines is a little jealous of Ben because Ben is the figure head of the team. If Hines thought at anytime he was the face of the Steelers, he should have remained happy without a great QB and the Super Bowl rings.

I think it was a bad situation from the start, it's over let it alone and move on.

As for MM, he loves to stir the pot and make his shock news to maintain followers. The guy is a waste in my opinion.

Shoe
12-08-2009, 02:06 AM
He is a professional wrestling announcer. Nuff said.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSY_iX8_Bgc

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-08-2009, 02:20 AM
What's this about Ward being a media-hound?

I live far away from the 'burgh, but it seems to me Ward was the perfect Steeler. And even when he said what he said about Ben, I just took that to be a hugely competitive spirit mixing with extreme disappointment to make him say something stupid that he wouldn't say again in a million years.

This article makes him sound like Randy Moss to the Ocho Cinco power.

Please, yinzers who are closer to the situation, tell me it ain't so!!

williar
12-08-2009, 02:48 PM
What's this about Ward being a media-hound?

I live far away from the 'burgh, but it seems to me Ward was the perfect Steeler. And even when he said what he said about Ben, I just took that to be a hugely competitive spirit mixing with extreme disappointment to make him say something stupid that he wouldn't say again in a million years.

This article makes him sound like Randy Moss to the Ocho Cinco power.

Please, yinzers who are closer to the situation, tell me it ain't so!!

It certainly isn't so! IMO-Ward is the hardest working, most respected, most professional athlete we have here in the burgh. I attribute the the recent steeler success moreso to the identity of Hines Ward then Ben. I believe hines was frustrated as he spoke his heart. I also believe Hines meant what he said, and said what he meant. As for some thinking Hines is jealous of Ben for whatever reason. Please! If you did a poll nationwide of steeler fans, you would probably be surprise as to who ranks where on the list. Trust me! Hines has just as many if not more fans in steeler nation as any steeler. Hines ward's steeler legacy is etched in stone. Leading receiver in steeler history, superbowl mvp, pro bowler, one of the most respected active players around the league, has earned his millions and remains the heart and soul of this steelers team. If I was starting a team today, I would state with Hines Ward.

aggiebones
12-08-2009, 02:52 PM
Madden picks the healing scab from the skinned knee.
Without turmoil, fake or not, Madden has no job or ratings.
Madden is the real fraud.