PDA

View Full Version : Starkey: The Steelers stink

fordfixer
12-07-2009, 07:44 AM
Starkey: The Steelers stink

By Joe Starkey, TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Monday, December 7, 2009
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56556.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_656556.html)

Ten quick takes on the Steelers' stunning, 27-24 loss to the Oakland Raiders ...

This just in: The Steelers have accepted an invitation to the PapaJohns.com Bowl, where they will play Northern Illinois and probably lose on account of their defense folding in the fourth quarter. Has there ever been a more depressing football weekend involving the local pro and college teams?

Inexcusable. That's one word to describe the repeated miscommunications on Dick LeBeau's defense. For the second time in three weeks, the inability to relay a simple call from the sidelines among all 11 defenders cost the Steelers dearly. Two weeks ago, it happened when Kansas City's Chris Chambers made a 61-yard catch in overtime. Yesterday, it was Louis Murphy's 11-yard touchdown catch over Ryan Mundy with 9 seconds left. "We were supposed to blitz from one side, but we ended up blitzing from both sides," Mundy said. "It was just a little miscommunication, that's all." Yeah, that's all. Only cost the Steelers the game and maybe their season.

That was the Oakland Raiders, mind you, who scored three touchdowns in the fourth quarter, on drives of 57, 84 and 88 yards. The Raiders had 10 touchdowns ALL SEASON to that point. They also had two starting linemen out of the game when they drove 88 yards on 10 plays in 107 seconds to win it.

How does it happen that not every defensive player gets the call? "I don't know," said linebacker and defensive co-captain James Farrior. "We all have to be on the same page and relay the call across the board. That starts with me. I have to take responsibility for that."

You don't think Al Davis is enjoying this one, do you?

The fans were almost as bad as the Steelers' defense. Boos rained down when the Steelers fell behind, 13-10, early in the fourth quarter. Those turned to wild cheers when they took the lead, massive boos when they fell behind again and cheers when they regained the lead on a pass from Ben Roethlisberger to his best friend, Hines Ward, with 1:56 left. Guess what happened then? Thousands fled the premises, depriving the Steelers of much-needed crowd noise on that final drive.

The Steelers' kick-coverage team finally met a man it could tackle: Ex-Steelers plodder Gary Russell, who makes Najeh Davenport look like Devin Hester (although Russell did break off a 34-yarder).

OK, so where does this debacle rank among the most-galling losses of the decade? I put it first, just ahead of the 24-6 loss to the expansion Houston Texans in 2002 (the Steelers outgained the Texans, 422-47), the 20-13 loss at Oakland in 2006 and the ridiculous loss to the Chiefs two weeks ago. Special mention goes to the 6-0 loss to the New York Jets in 2003 at the Meadowlands, the day offensive coordinator Mike Mularkey ordered 38 passes in a blizzard. This beats Houston, because that game was a one-man meltdown featuring Tommy Maddox. This wasn't about turnovers. The Steelers just got beat, by a really bad team, on their home field, with their season on the line.

What a gutsy performance by Green Tree native Bruce Gradkowski, who took some massive hits but kept coming back for more. He made several mind-blowing throws off his back foot, under pressure, and badly fooled the Steelers all game with play fakes. In the fourth quarter, Gradkowski completed 10 of 17 passes for 190 yards, three touchdowns and a passer rating of 137. His rating in his previous visit to Heinz Field, last season as a member of the Cleveland Browns: 1.0.

Rookie cornerback Joe Burnett ought to fit right in with this group: He dropped a sure interception on the game-losing drive.

JAR
12-07-2009, 09:21 AM
The fans were almost as bad as the Steelers' defense. Boos rained down when the Steelers fell behind, 13-10, early in the fourth quarter. Those turned to wild cheers when they took the lead, massive boos when they fell behind again and cheers when they regained the lead on a pass from Ben Roethlisberger to his best friend, Hines Ward, with 1:56 left. Guess what happened then? Thousands fled the premises, depriving the Steelers of much-needed crowd noise on that final drive.

That pisses me off more than anything. Success has turned a lot of our fans into spoiled little babies. There are millions of other fans out there who would kill for what we have here. Steelers fans are hated not because of how successful the team is, it's because of crap like this.

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 09:29 AM
JAR...
we are spoiled, but if that was the colts, even an average team like the 49ers, i dotn think there is booing, i think there is booing because they have lost to bad teams this year, the chiefs, bears and came close to losing to the lions, whent he raiders are driving down the field at will on our defense, than guess what, they deserve to be booed, fans have spent hundeds of dollars on the day to watch the steelers play and thier performance deserved a boo, alot of other teams get booed too.......
for the record i did not boo, but i was yelling and screaming are you friggin kidding me, lets go, come on....

JAR
12-07-2009, 09:32 AM
JAR...
we are spoiled, but if that was the colts, even an average team like the 49ers, i dotn think there is booing, i think there is booing because they have lost to bad teams this year, the chiefs, bears and came close to losing to the lions, whent he raiders are driving down the field at will on our defense, than guess what, they deserve to be booed, fans have spent hundeds of dollars on the day to watch the steelers play and thier performance deserved a boo, alot of other teams get booed too.......
for the record i did not boo, but i was yelling and screaming are you friggin kidding me, lets go, come on....

I'm not talking about the booing, I'm talking about the leaving early.

steelblood
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM
The defense deserved to be booed. The folks who left early are complete idiots and represent the evils caused by the exorbitant cost of NFL tickets.

Ghost
12-07-2009, 09:55 AM
Fans leaving early sucks but that didn't allow the raiders to drive 88 yards for the winning TD. Keep them out of the endzone and they win.

The telling thing to me is this - The Steelers got beat and out played by one of the worst teams in the NFL, at home, with the entire season on the line. It's a damn disgrace.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 10:53 AM
I can't blame the fans for walking out.

This team hasn't done anything to keep the fans in their seats.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2009, 12:45 PM

$$$
The people probably knew that the defense would allow Raiders to score.

steelblood
12-07-2009, 01:59 PM

Really? I think you should take the Steel out of your screen name. You don't deserve it.

Even if your team is disappointing you, you NEVER LEAVE WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Real fans stay. The ones who left turned their backs on all the players who were giving all they had like Woodley, Harrison, Hines, Tone, Ben, Mendenhall, the Oline, etc. There were Steelers out there giving tremendous effort. If you can't stay and appreciate that as a fan, you just don't get it.

JAR
12-07-2009, 02:03 PM

Really? I think you should take the Steel out of your screen name. You don't deserve it.

Even if your team is disappointing you, you NEVER LEAVE WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. Real fans stay. The ones who left turned their backs on all the players who were giving all they had like Woodley, Harrison, Hines, Tone, Ben, Mendenhall, the Oline, etc. There were Steelers out there giving tremendous effort. If you can't stay and appreciate that as a fan, you just don't get it.

:Clap Steeler Nation has way too many fair weather fans.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 02:12 PM

Refusing to sit through mediocrity doesn't automatically make you a fair weather fan.

I didn't turn off the game until the last play had been run... but I can't fault fans that turned it off after our D collapsed for the second time. Against one of the worst offenses in the NFL.

Hell, right now I'd take posters on this board over some of the "NFL players" on our team. At least we'd play like we give a damn.

feltdizz
12-07-2009, 02:22 PM
So now it's the fans fault? You guys make it sound like the fans get paid to watch. I don't give a damn what the fans do.... and it's not they crowd helped stop the Raiders the other 2 times...

At least a few who left had a good last impression before the inevitable

JAR
12-07-2009, 02:50 PM
So now it's the fans fault? You guys make it sound like the fans get paid to watch. I don't give a damn what the fans do.... and it's not they crowd helped stop the Raiders the other 2 times...

At least a few who left had a good last impression before the inevitable

The fans didn't lose the game, but it's about the fans who don't support their team through thick and thin, especially a team that has given more to it's fans than any other team in the NFL. Browns fans don't turn on their team as quick as Steelers fans do. When the various polls come out about who has the best fans in the NFL, hell breaks lose on the various boards screaming at why the Steelers fans aren't number one. Steelers fans are only the best fans when the Steelers are winning.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 03:05 PM
Browns fans don't turn on their team as quick as Steelers fans do.

What, you mean the handful of people in the world that are insane enough to watch that trainwreck? :brownssuck :brownssuck

Look, here's the difference. The Browns fans know their team sucks. They understand that they are in for an extensive rebuilding process, and that it's going to take quite a while before the Browns are anything. Of course, this year Mangini makes even that look unlikely, so the fans are turning... but it's hard to be angry when your team is getting beat by far superior talent.

This team, on the other hand, is consistently losing to inferior teams. The fans have a right to get pissed at the pitiful performance this team is turning in.

steelblood
12-07-2009, 03:10 PM

Refusing to sit through mediocrity doesn't automatically make you a fair weather fan.

Yes, it does.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM
Yes, it does.

I'd rather have fans that walk out on a heartless performance -- fans that send a message to the team that we will NOT accept continued mediocrity, than fans that are willing to eat up mediocre performances every week.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I've wanted to go to a steeler game my whole life (been to one when i was 6-7).
the only way i'm walking out on the steelers is if they start defecating on the field. I wear my steeler polo every monday win or lose. and you bet your sweet biscuits that I'm staying until the final second ticks off the clock.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I've wanted to go to a steeler game my whole life (been to one when i was 6-7).
the only way i'm walking out on the steelers is if they start defecating on the field. I wear my steeler polo every monday win or lose. and you better your sweet biscuits that I'm staying until the final second ticks off the clock.

I agree. leaving a steeler game early is never acceptable. its one thing to boo, booing is fine if justified. if you leave a steeler game early because they are losing why go to games in the first place?

AngryAsian
12-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Living in Florida, I travel every year to see my team live. Watching this team will always be a privilege. I don't accept mediocrity. I'll just support the players that are giving 110%, not the lame-Os that causing the loss.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Living in Florida, I travel every year to see my team live. Watching this team will always be a privilege. I don't accept mediocrity. I'll just support the players that are giving 110%, not the lame-Os that causing the loss.
alot of these guys look like they're going through the motions.
but damn you love the ones that are playing their asse$ off!

AngryAsian
12-07-2009, 03:57 PM
alot of these guys look like they're going through the motions.
but damn you love the ones that are playing their asse$ off!

Agreed. How could you turn your back on a Aaron Smith, a Troy Polamalu, a James Harrison.... the list goes on. This team is filled with guys who deserve the fans' unwavering support... its these kind of guys on the team that take a loss very personally.

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 05:26 PM

I'm with you guys. I hate to hear the booing on TV. Makes me sick to my stomach. And before the "Well if the team wasn't making us sick to our stomach we wouldn't boo" response I'd like to say I don't buy it.

Sure, we're disappointed in our team, but IMO you should support your team the same during tough times if not more.

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Also, I'd like at least a short list of these players that are supposedly going through the motions. Who is it?

TIA.

Starlifter
12-07-2009, 05:33 PM
if the fans had stayed and cheered it may have led to miscommunication on the steelers defense causing us to blitz from both sides and allowing the worst offense in the league to score a game-winning TD with 9 seconds left.

oh wait.......

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 07:24 PM
The only booing I ever do at a game is directed toward the refs after a bad call. But at least I understand the sentiment behind the booing (extreme frustration at the team not playing up to expectations).

However, I'll never understand the motivation behind leaving early. Whether we are up by 40, down by 40, or tied...whether it is over 100 degrees and scorching or sub-zero and snowing, my butt never leaves that seat until the clock reads 0:00. There is a father-son pair who sits in our row that leaves in the mid-4th every game to beat traffic. I think they drive an hour and a half home. My Dad and I drive home over 5 hours (even after primetime game) and postgame traffic problems never even cross our minds when the game is on. Some folks have odd priorities, man.

Captain Lemming
12-07-2009, 07:52 PM

http://www.answers.com/topic/fair-weather

1. Suitable or used only during fair weather: fair-weather hiking gear.
2. Present and dependable only in good times: fair-weather friends.

First is a literal "weather" definition, the second is what applies to fans.

Bailing out when the team is losing my friend is the very definition of "fair-weather" behavior.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Also, I'd like at least a short list of these players that are supposedly going through the motions. Who is it?

TIA.
Casey hampton
Jeff reed
Carter
taylor
gay
do you think any of these guys are playing with passion?

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 09:05 PM

TIA.
Casey hampton
Jeff reed
Carter
taylor
gay
do you think any of these guys are playing with passion?

I'm not sure I agree. Are they giving up on plays?

I don't think Gay or Ike are just going through the motions. I think they're getting beat. I think they're playing out of position. I think they're making stupid decisions. None of this means the same thing as going through the motions IMO.

I don't see anything wrong with Big Snack's play.

I agree that Reed should have made stronger efforts in those two situations where he could've made a tackle. However, I also don't think this meets the definition either.

Not sure what the bust is on Carter.

The definition of going through the motions to me might apply to the team as a whole. They seem to be uninspired and lacking fire. However, I don't know that I can say the same thing about any players specifically. In order for me to think any particular player is going through the motions I would have to see them giving up on a play (like that Raiders WR did on that one play yesterday) or something similar. I don't think I've seen that.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 09:39 PM
so instead of saying that any one player is going through the motions you'd say the whole team?
I think Jimmy Hate is playing hard. harder than anyone.
mendy is running hard, playing hard.
that long td that ike gave up was some of the worst effort from a steeler I HAVE EVR SEEEN

NKySteeler
12-07-2009, 10:17 PM
I personally consider myself a serious "homer", and root for the guys in black-n-gold every week with the same intensity whether we are leading the division or sucking hind-end... But this last week or so has been brutal here in Bungle country... The fanidiots here are seriously "rubbing my nose" in it, and allbeit rightly so... But I will never give up until we are mathematically elliminated.

I applaud Birt for wearing his Steelers polo every Monday, and I applaud everyone that does similar things and supports this team. I personally have Steelers logos all over my luggage as I continue to travel... An awful lot has transpired this season, and fans have been questioned as well. Not only here but other locations on the net... A season such as this tests one's beliefs.

Bottom line is that right now we are on the outside looking in, and whether it works out or not, I enjoy watching my Steelers play each and every week. ... It may be tough, and rather aggravating at times, but at least we are able to see them.

.... Come summer, June and July, everyone will be "jonesing" for Steeler football.... So why not enjoy it (as best as possible) while it is here?

Just my 2 cents....

eniparadoxgma
12-08-2009, 04:35 AM
so instead of saying that any one player is going through the motions you'd say the whole team?
I think Jimmy Hate is playing hard. harder than anyone.
mendy is running hard, playing hard.
that long td that ike gave up was some of the worst effort from a steeler I HAVE EVR SEEEN

I'm saying that it doesn't seem like effort is the problem to me. It seems as if it's execution, mental mistakes, play calling, etc etc. I'll be the first person blasting a player if it seems as if they're phoning it in. I also think Tomlin and the other players will blast a player if it seems like they're out there not giving it their all.

Jimmy Hate? You lost me.

I don't know exactly what's wrong with the team overall. Perhaps it has something to do with a SB hangover. Perhaps it has a lot to do with Troy and Aaron Smith being out. Perhaps it has to do with the league figuring Lebeau out. Maybe our DBs just suck that friggin bad. I don't know.

I just don't see anyone out there going through the motions. As I said, if I did I'd definitely acknowledge it and call them out.

I also continue to wear my Steelers gear through thick or thin. Did I miss something in this thread about that? lol

flippy
12-08-2009, 01:21 PM
No player was more visibly upset on the final TD than Casey Hampton. He's playing like he deserves a contract at year end. We should try to get him for at least another season.

He's not an every down guy, but he gives 100% when he's in there.

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 01:50 PM
i think starky stinks.......and douchette is a...well douch.....so put that in your pipe and smoke it...

feltdizz
12-08-2009, 02:22 PM
so fans aren't allowed to say the team they loves stinks right now? This isn't HS.. these guys get paid tons to play...

I cheer, I boo, I turn the game off then back on..

I've been a fan over 30 years and was born and raised in Western PA. If I want to boo bad play I damn sure will boo it.

This isn't good football, why would I cheer half assed mediocre play. Don't tell me they are playing hard either.. while some are as a whole this team isn't hungry. When they play hungry and with urgency I will cheer like I used to.

They look like Notre Dame this year..

JTP53609
12-08-2009, 03:40 PM
I will stick with my team through thick and thin, but they do deserve to be booed when they loose to inferior teams week in and week out, it is really annoying and becoming a common occurance, I dont get upset if they loose and go balls to the wall, even the bengal game at home was a loss that i was upset about but you could tell it was just not our day....but to lose to the raiders and chiefs is just disgusting.......I will be watching hoping for a playoff appearance this weekend after the steelers beat the browns though..