PDA

View Full Version : Here's why we can still make the playoffs even as a 5th seed

lambertslunatics
12-07-2009, 02:38 AM
Two wild cards should be Pittsburgh and Denver/San Diego (whichever doesn't win the division) the AFC East and the AFC South won't produce any wildcard teams, the East is racing to the bottom (might be the first losing season team to win a divison in history)and the South is too inept outside Indy.

jets 6-6
@TB WIN 7-6
ATL LOSE 7-7
@IND LOSE 7-8
CIN WIN 8-8 wins EAST

pats 7-5
CAR LOSE 7-6
@BUF LOSE 7-7
JX WIN 8-7
@HOU LOSE 8-8

MIA 6-6
@jax WIN 7-6
@ten LOSE 7-7
hou LOSE 7-8
pit LOSE 7-9
====================
jax 6-6
MIA LOSE 6-7
IND LOSE 6-8
@NE LOSE 6-9
@CLE WIN 7-9
==================
den 8-4
@IND LOSE 8-5
OAK WIN 9-5
@PHI LOSE 9-6
KC WIN 10-6
==================
BALT 6-5
@gb LOSE 6-6
det WIN 7-6
chi LOSE 7-7
@pit LOSE 7-8
@oak LOSE 7-9

brothervad
12-07-2009, 02:59 AM
Two wild cards should be Pittsburgh and Denver/San Diego (whichever doesn't win the division) the AFC East and the AFC South won't produce any wildcard teams, the East is racing to the bottom (might be the first losing season team to win a divison in history)and the South is too inept outside Indy.

jets 6-6
@TB WIN 7-6
ATL LOSE 7-7
@IND LOSE 7-8
CIN WIN 8-8 wins EAST

pats 7-5
CAR LOSE 7-6
@BUF LOSE 7-7
JX WIN 8-7
@HOU LOSE 8-8

MIA 6-6
@jax WIN 7-6
@ten LOSE 7-7
hou LOSE 7-8
pit LOSE 7-9
====================
jax 6-6
MIA LOSE 6-7
IND LOSE 6-8
@NE LOSE 6-9
@CLE WIN 7-9
==================
den 8-4
@IND LOSE 8-5
OAK WIN 9-5
@PHI LOSE 9-6
KC WIN 10-6
==================
BALT 6-5
@gb LOSE 6-6
det WIN 7-6
chi LOSE 7-7
@pit LOSE 7-8
@oak LOSE 7-9

While I guess anything's possible the likelihood that Balt goes 1-4, Jax and Pats and Maimi go 1-3, Denver and Jets go 2-2 is extremely unlikely.

the Best bet IMHO is that the Broncos go 2-2 and we win outright to beat them at head to head for 6th seed.

But even then we need Balt to at least lose one other game than the one to us. I am a big Packer fan tomorrow night.

brothervad

saxtonsteeler
12-07-2009, 05:55 AM
and what leads you to believe we win out?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 11:13 AM
This is the only way I see it. #6 seed.

If you really want to look at it....The Steelers best shot at is at the #6 seed. Broncos would have to drop 2 of 4 or the Chargers would have to drop 3 of 4 to get to #5. Could happen but for this argument we will say...No.

The Steelers need to win out. No exceptions now. I'm sure there still will be "mathmatical possibilities" but throw them away.

Start with Ravens. We have no shot unless we finish 2nd in the division. So on top of the Steelers winning out, (Which means we beat the Ravens), the Ravens need to loose another. If they only lose to the Steelers, the will be +2 in tie breaker 3. We would be eliminated by the Ravens for playoff consideration. The Ravens are +1 right now in tie breaker #3 and we can't catch them. Begins tonight...GB beating the Ravens would be huge!!!

The Jags need to drop 2. The Steelers winning out (Beating the Dolphins) will take care of the Dolphins/Jets as long as the Jets lose again. The next 3 games will decide everything for the Steelers & Jags. The Jags have Miami, Indy, & NE. The Jags have a strong conference record that will put them ahead of everyone in wild card tie breaker. The Steelers only shot is at finishing a game up on the Jags. Dropping 2 of 4 is alot to ask for...But possible.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 11:25 AM

If you really want to look at it....The Steelers best shot at is at the #6 seed. Broncos would have to drop 2 of 4 or the Chargers would have to drop 3 of 4 to get to #5. Could happen but for this argument we will say...No.

The Steelers need to win out. No exceptions now. I'm sure there still will be "mathmatical possibilities" but throw them away.

Start with Ravens. We have no shot unless we finish 2nd in the division. So on top of the Steelers winning out, (Which means we beat the Ravens), the Ravens need to loose another. If they only lose to the Steelers, the will be +3 in tie breaker 3. We would be eliminated by the Ravens for playoff consideration. The Ravens are +1 right now in tie breaker #3 and we can't catch them. Begins tonight...GB beating the Ravens would be huge!!!

The Jags need to drop 2. The Steelers winning out (Beating the Dolphins) will take care of the Dolphins/Jets as long as the Jets lose again. The next 3 games will decide everything for the Steelers & Jags. The Jags have Miami, Indy, & NE. The Jags have a strong conference record that will put them ahead of everyone in wild card tie breaker. The Steelers only shot is at finishing a game up on the Jags. Dropping 2 of 4 is alot to ask for...But possible.

Can you help me out with the Baltimore tie breaker?

If they don't drop another game and we win out, we will have the same overall record, same division record, same head to head record, what is the next step conference (which they will have use beat on unless they lose another game, which will give use a better overall record)? Where does the conference record rank in the tie breaker hierarchy?
1. Overall
2. Division
3. Conference
4. Head-to-Head

???

Steeler Mafia
12-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Mathmatically, yes, we can still make the playoffs. But with the way we have been playing lately, I don't see us getting that fixed and winning the rest of our games. We have some serious problems strategically and mentally. We don't deserve a playoff spot with what we have shown the last 4 games.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 11:32 AM

If they don't drop another game and we win out, we will have the same overall record, same division record, same head to head record, what is the next step conference (which they will have use beat on unless they lose another game, which will give use a better overall record)? Where does the conference record rank in the tie breaker hierarchy?
1. Overall
2. Division
3. Conference
4. Head-to-Head

???

Not quite.

You can see how it works here:
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/ ... xplanation (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/standings/playoffrace/tiebreakers-explanation)

Note that if we are going against the Ravens for the wild card, we use the divisional tie-break rules. If it's a different team, we would just use the conference wild-card rules.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 11:36 AM

Start with Ravens. We have no shot unless we finish 2nd in the division. So on top of the Steelers winning out, (Which means we beat the Ravens), the Ravens need to loose another. If they only lose to the Steelers, the will be +3 in tie breaker 3. We would be eliminated by the Ravens for playoff consideration. The Ravens are +1 right now in tie breaker #3 and we can't catch them. Begins tonight...GB beating the Ravens would be huge!!!

1. Overall
2. Division
3. Conference
4. Head-to-Head

???
#3 Tie breaker within the division is common games. Right now the Steelers are -1/2 game because of the loss to the Raiders. The Ravens play the Raiders last game. They beat KC but loss to the Vikings so that cancels out. If the Ravens win out except for the Steelers, they will have beaten the Bears & Raiders. I should have said +2 instead of +3 but same end result.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 11:52 AM
there is no way the steelers will win out

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Why do you think we beat the Browns this week?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 12:05 PM
If Troy is healthy and back for the Ravens....I think there is a good chance. Browns won't be an easy out....You are correct there!

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM

Good question.

Quinn threw 3 TDs against the Chargers. This D could make him look very good.

Ghost
12-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Understanding nothing is impossible:

The Browns are no longer a "gimmee" and I'm sure they smell blood. Maybe we beat the Ravens with Ben but I doubt they lose to Chicago and will be in the hunt so that's a brutal game and far from a win. The Pack is a lot better than 3 of the 4 teams they just lost to and Miami beat the Pats and could easily beat Tennesee and Houston with the game against Pgh being a must have so that's far from a win.

Too many assumptions. Sucks having to count on 3 or 4 other teams to implode.

phillyesq
12-07-2009, 12:56 PM
After yesterday's dismal performance, the only thing the Steelers should worry about is beating the browns. After the Chiefs debacle, I was fairly confident that the Steelers could make the playoffs. After the Raiders debacle, I don't think that they even deserve to make the playoffs.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-07-2009, 12:59 PM
I am afraid the Browns might go shotgun with 4 wide the entire game and drop 40 on us....Playoffs? Please.

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 01:26 PM
i love my steelers to the bitter end but losing to the chiefs and raiders is totally absurd, every other team in the nfl that is average wins those 2, we cant win...the truth is the jets, ravens, broncos and jags all have games left against teams that are better, if we win out and figure out how to get our heads out of our arses than everything will take care of itself....BUT

how do you lose to the chiefs 2 weeks ago, in a loss that is as ugly as they get, and than lose to the freaking raiders at home in a 1:00 game 2 weeks later, is that possible, RED FLAG, I am challenging something, i dont know what, but are they getting drunk on saturdays and than just playing, what the hell is wrong here..

SteelCzar76
12-08-2009, 10:07 AM
Personally i'm not sure i would want to see our current roster make fools of themselves in the playoffs against the Colts, Chargers or Patsies. Or even worse yet,...Troy returns we overcome the loss of Aaron,.. and the D can make enough plays to carry the O through the playoffs similar to last season,.....only for the team to be dismantled by the Saints, Vikings or Cardinals in a SuperBowl.

papillon
12-08-2009, 12:58 PM

Because, I'm a Steeler fan and I'm hoping they can pull it together and get into the playoffs. I like watching football that means something. Once the Steelers are done, my football season is over. So, if we lose to the Browns, that's it until next September and that's a long time.

So, I believe they will win, because, I'm not ready for my season to be over. :P

Pappy