PDA

View Full Version : might as well lose the rest... and get better draft position

LordVile
12-06-2009, 10:46 PM
since we ain't going nowhere, might as well put in the 2nd string talent and hurt our opponents, lose the remaining games and hope for better draft picks...

I'm still gettin my steeler tattoo next week, but we must look to the future.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 11:00 PM
Why don't we rest Ben and play all the backups for the rest of the season? That way they can be really fresh for next season. Maybe they should just forfeit the rest of the games?

What does losing for the rest of the season say to the players on this team? I don't think it would go over real well with the players or most of the fans. Contrary to what some fans believe, this team still has something to play for.

LordVile
12-06-2009, 11:05 PM
Why don't we rest Ben and play all the backups for the rest of the season? That way they can be really fresh for next season. Maybe they should just forfeit the rest of the games?

What does losing for the rest of the season say to the players on this team? I don't think it would go over real well with the players or most of the fans. Contrary to what some fans believe, this team still has something to play for.

I here u brother, but chances are, weeel lose the rest anywayz.. we ain't going to the playoffs. i feel real bad for the pittsburgh fans that paid in Heinz field to see us lose against the bungles and the Raiders. wut do we have to prove???

LouSteel
12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Contrary to what some fans believe, this team still has something to play for.

I'm wondering what exactly that might be.

While we are still alive, whatever margin of error we once had just evaporated. And we just lost to a team with three wins... that doesn't really inspire much confidence.

And it sure isn't pride that we're playing for -- I saw no evidence of that today.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 11:30 PM

I here u brother, but chances are, weeel lose the rest anywayz.. we ain't going to the playoffs. i feel real bad for the pittsburgh fans that paid in Heinz field to see us lose against the bungles and the Raiders. wut do we have to prove???

There is a good chance this team won't make the playoffs. There is a chance that they can make the playoffs. Until they are officially eliminated they have something to play for.

They can prove that this team will not quit.

LouSteel
12-06-2009, 11:34 PM

The D could've proven that when the offense handed it the lead in the 4th quarter... TWICE. And our D quit on the team TWICE.

LordVile
12-07-2009, 12:03 AM

There is a good chance this team won't make the playoffs. There is a chance that they can make the playoffs. Until they are officially eliminated they have something to play for.

Oh, I fogot, that we can still prove that we can lose to the BROWNS, on any given thursday. the fact that we played the Raiders with any doubts is a discrace. we might lose to the BROWNS.... :wft

BATMAN
12-07-2009, 12:05 AM
heres a news flash, this team has troubles and tomlin doesn't know how to fix it. all three phases of the game and this team is spinning like a top.
they better make some adjustments for the defense during the draft and free agency this next time around.

four games in a row we have lost and all the pep talks can't excuse the fact, they blew these games more than they got beat. i take that back, our secondary got beat.

LordVile
12-07-2009, 12:10 AM
heres a news flash, this team has troubles and tomlin doesn't know how to fix it. all three phases of the game and this team is spinning like a top.
they better make some adjustments for the defense during the draft and free agency this next time around.

four games in a row we have lost and all the pep talks can't excuse the fact, they blew these games more than they got beat. i take that back, our secondary got beat.

yeah man, our secondary blows. and it shows.. willly gay slippin and slidin, in vaseline and burnett playing like a stone hand SWEED...

eniparadoxgma
12-07-2009, 05:00 AM
I hate this type of mentality.

You play to win the games. Period.

Leave the "let's lose so we can get higher draft picks" to Browns fans ffs.

papillon
12-07-2009, 07:13 AM

:Bow :Bow

Pappy

BURGH86STEEL
12-07-2009, 08:31 AM

The lack of a pass rush in some of those situations was a factor.

AngryAsian
12-07-2009, 09:43 AM

During the retooling Tomlin first year at the helm, 2007, we won the division but underwhelmed in the first round of the playoffs. The thing that stood out the most from that incarnation of our D was the lack of pass rush. Last year our front 7 got it done and put a great amount of pressure on opposing QBs. Its like they broke out the 2007 team this year. The difference? QBs had less time to develop their plays and pick our weak DBs apart.... and we had Troy.

SteelBucks
12-07-2009, 09:51 AM

During the retooling Tomlin first year at the helm, 2007, we won the division but underwhelmed in the first round of the playoffs. The thing that stood out the most from that incarnation of our D was the lack of pass rush. Last year our front 7 got it done and put a great amount of pressure on opposing QBs. Its like they broke out the 2007 team this year. The difference? QBs had less time to develop their plays and pick our weak DBs apart.... and we had Troy.

The importance of Aaron Smith cannot be underestimated. Smith is strong against the run and can take up two blockers, which helps free our OLB's. The result is pressure on the QB.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 09:59 AM
Play football. Just win the next game. I have pride as a Steeler fan. Draft position means nothing to me. I would just hope some of the guys taking the field have the same pride I do. If you don't...Will your athletic abilty to me...I can play. "I don't have any rings or a big new contract...I will play like a Steeler!!!

papillon
12-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Play football. Just win the next game. I have pride as a Steeler fan. Draft position means nothing to me. I would just hope some of the guys taking the field have the same pride I do. If you don't...Will your athletic abilty to me...I can play. "I don't have any rings or a big new contract...I will play like a Steeler!!!

I love this mentality!!

:Bow :Bow :Bow

Pappy

SteelCzar76
12-07-2009, 10:20 AM
since we ain't going nowhere, might as well put in the 2nd string talent and hurt our opponents, lose the remaining games and hope for better draft picks...

Our draft position is meaningless if Tomlin continues to have anything to do with said selection/s. (Ie: Gay, Sweed, Timmons, Mundy, Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Mindy even though he's no bum,..but yet a scatback with whom you cannnot control a game with)

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Our draft position is meaningless if Tomlin continues to have anything to do with said selection/s. (Ie: Gay, Sweed, Timmons, Mundy, Burnett, Lewis, Hood and Mindy even though he's no bum,..but yet a scatback with whom you cannnot control a game with)

:lol:

You are insane.

Of those players the only I'm even close to writing off is Sweed, who truly looks terrible.

The rest are either young starters who are still developing, or guys playing out of position (Gay == nickel).

And Timmons/Mendenhall... :wft I know you never liked Timmons, but he's 3rd on the team for sacks and has forced as many fumbles as Harrison, ffs.

:roll:

Northern_Blitz
12-07-2009, 01:09 PM

Pappy

I agree that we shouldn't throw games.

But, if and when we get eliminated from playoff contention I do think we should give some young guys more chance to see the field so that we have a better idea how they perform on Sundays.

I also wouldn't mind putting in some wildcat with Dixon if we get eliminated. With Ben as our QB we are almost guarenteed to need to rely on the back-up QB for a couple games. It would be nice to get Dixon some experience and going wild cat might do this without pissing Ben off (and lessening his chance to getting seriously hurt in meaningless games).

Once you've been eliminated, winning the games isn't the #1 goal. Evaluating talent and preparing for the next season is (just like in the pre-season).

RuthlessBurgher
12-07-2009, 01:20 PM

:Agree

You beat me to it.

http://rlv.zcache.com/you_play_to_win_the_game_tshirt-p2356720949482822533dt7_210.jpg http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/topstory/sports/edwards_herman0108.jpg

LordVile
12-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Pappy

I agree that we shouldn't throw games.

But, if and when we get eliminated from playoff contention I do think we should give some young guys more chance to see the field so that we have a better idea how they perform on Sundays.

I also wouldn't mind putting in some wildcat with Dixon if we get eliminated. With Ben as our QB we are almost guarenteed to need to rely on the back-up QB for a couple games. It would be nice to get Dixon some experience and going wild cat might do this without pissing Ben off (and lessening his chance to getting seriously hurt in meaningless games).

Once you've been eliminated, winning the games isn't the #1 goal. Evaluating talent and preparing for the next season is (just like in the pre-season).

I agree with your points, about evaluating the talent and giving opportunities 2 some of the younger talent.

grotonsteel
12-07-2009, 04:53 PM
Well i have been screaming about this since when....hmm.... week 3???? :oops:

Steelers need to win rest of the games as long as they are in playoff hunt. If they lose against Stains i think they should quit for better draft position.

SteelCzar76
12-07-2009, 05:01 PM

:lol:

You are insane.

Of those players the only I'm even close to writing off is Sweed, who truly looks terrible.

The rest are either young starters who are still developing, or guys playing out of position (Gay == nickel).

And Timmons/Mendenhall... :wft I know you never liked Timmons, but he's 3rd on the team for sacks and has forced as many fumbles as Harrison, ffs.

Oh, in fact the questionable sanity here may in fact be your own sir, if you consider Timmons to have been worthy of being drafted in the top half of the first round to play inside backer within a 3-4 defense.

Or if you believe in fact that Lewis, Burnett and Hood were more productive and henceforth more deserving of being drafted than quite a few other db's and interior lineman that Tomlin passed upon,..so as to avoid being "enamored by talent".(As was the same case with the selection of Gay)

And if you want to be real about,..Knox and or Murphy are superior receivers to Wallace. But hey i guess,...players that are not "ordinary as a bowl of Grits" are incapable of "Unleashing Hell" in Tomlin's vision of the NFL ? :lol:

ramblinjim
12-07-2009, 05:04 PM
I agree with the idea of letting the young guys play once you are eliminated to evaluate talent. I don't want us to throw games to get a better draft pick, even though I think we'll have a pretty high draft pick when it is all said and done anyway.

Steeler Mafia
12-07-2009, 05:05 PM
Purposely lose the rest of our games for a draft position?

C'mon man!

NC Steeler Fan
12-07-2009, 05:25 PM
Once we're "out"?

Play some of the second string, yes.

Throw any games for a higher draft pick? Hell no.

Have some freakin' pride.

Cripes, I'm a girl and I wouldn't
do that....

papillon
12-07-2009, 11:04 PM
Once we're "out"?

Play some of the second string, yes.

Throw any games for a higher draft pick? Hell no.

Have some freakin' pride.

Cripes, I'm a girl and I wouldn't
do that....

Yea, but what you are is a "Steeler Chick and Steeler Chick's Rule!" :Bow

Pappy