PDA

View Full Version : Any QB looks like Montana with 5 seconds to throw

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it occurred to me that we're consistently losing games on plays where the opposing QB has all day to throw - heck it has to be that way for these 3rd and very long plays to develop.

Maybe the problem is as much up front on the D line as it is in the backfield. No pressure, lots of time ... the kind of thing that leads to giving up 21 points in the 4th qrtr.

Smith, Kirschke - maybe we miss them more than we realize.

What do you guys think?

DukieBoy
12-06-2009, 07:46 PM
Maybe I'm wrong, but it occurred to me that we're consistently losing games on plays where the opposing QB has all day to throw - heck it has to be that way for these 3rd and very long plays to develop.

Maybe the problem is as much up front on the D line as it is in the backfield. No pressure, lots of time ... the kind of thing that leads to giving up 21 points in the 4th qrtr.

What do you guys think?

I think when Timmons blitzed it was as close to unleashing hell that we got today. Why not more of it ???

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 07:47 PM

What do you guys think?

I believe there is something to what you wrote. DB's can't cover the whole field all day. They had trouble getting some pressure on the QB when it mattered most. I don't know if it was by design or because of his mobility. I know they made attempts to get to him.

Steel Life
12-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Absolutely...I've made that point many times myself (can't believe I'm including Travis), it all starts up front & our front line just doesn't create enough pressure without employing some blitz. A great pass rush will make an average DB look great...

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I posted in another thread that we miss Big Aaron in the passing defense.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2009, 10:30 PM
It's just too hard to know whether our safeties and corners, even without Troy, would be good enough to do the job if we didn't have 2 of our 3 starting defensive lineman out. Actually, aren't we down to the 3rd stringers?

LeBeau's fault? Backfield's fault? Or just bad luck with injuries?