PDA

View Full Version : Start Keenan Lewis and Joe Burnett

toddjammin
12-06-2009, 07:07 PM
against Cleveland. What do we got to lose? They are young corners we drafted this year and it's time to give them some in game experience.

RussBII
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
Was that a bad pass Burnette whiffed on? or did he break on a ball?

If that's him breaking on a ball, Im all for him seeing some more time...

Perhaps he can work with Limas and Ike on his hands...

Shoe
12-06-2009, 07:35 PM
How dare you even mention Joe Burnett's name as a potential cure for what ails us... he dropped about as easy a football play as you can expect one to make. Akin to:

-making an extra point
-handling the C-QB exchange
-not jumping offsides in obvious situations
etc.

He should be cut, not starting.

RussBII
12-06-2009, 07:38 PM
How dare you even mention Joe Burnett's name as a potential cure for what ails us... he dropped about as easy a football play as you can expect one to make. Akin to:

-making an extra point
etc.

If we're cutting DBs for not making Interceptions, we'll have zero left...

Chadman
12-06-2009, 08:10 PM
How dare you even mention Joe Burnett's name as a potential cure for what ails us

Was this a personal affront to you? "How dare you"?? Really?

How about you chill out & let someone else have an opinion about this sort of thing huh?

Shoe
12-06-2009, 08:59 PM
Was this a personal affront to you? "How dare you"?? Really?

How about you chill out & let someone else have an opinion about this sort of thing huh?

Take it easy chad...
it's not personal at all, against the thread starter. Nor am I saying you can't express an opinion.

It was my attempt in showing how profound an error it was by that player.

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Gay has a concussion and likely will not start Thursday. I would love to see Burnett start just to see what we have in him but I'd be shocked if Townsend doesn't get the start.

Chadman
12-06-2009, 09:06 PM
Why Burnett over the higher draft choice, and better college background player in Keenan Lewis?

True Fan
12-06-2009, 09:18 PM
i agree. UNLEASH THEM!

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 09:19 PM
Why Burnett over the higher draft choice, and better college background player in Keenan Lewis?

Call it a gut feeling.

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 09:24 PM

I just had to check to be sure, but Lewis was inactive and Burnett was not.

I wonder why?

Does anyone have any insight to that?

ramblinjim
12-06-2009, 09:35 PM
I would say start Lewis, let Burnett play nickel. Have Mundy start for Clark. For kicks I'd also make sure Harris and Hood get a LOT of playing time these next four games as well, see what we have going into the draft and what we need to target.

birtikidis
12-06-2009, 09:59 PM
I would say start Lewis, let Burnett play nickel. Have Mundy start for Clark. For kicks I'd also make sure Harris and Hood get a LOT of playing time these next four games as well, see what we have going into the draft and what we need to target.
I leave clark in there let mendy start for carter. everything else i agree with 100%

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
12-06-2009, 10:49 PM

I wonder why?

Probably because Burnett is the better ST player.....and we need as much help there as we can get.

papillon
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM

-making an extra point
etc.

Cut him after one drop? That's a good plan.

Pappy

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 12:04 AM

I wonder why?

Probably because Burnett is the better ST player.....and we need as much help there as we can get.

Good point. Thanks.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 11:17 AM
Was that a bad pass Burnette whiffed on? or did he break on a ball?

If that's him breaking on a ball, Im all for him seeing some more time...

Perhaps he can work with Limas and Ike on his hands...

I'll give him some credit... it looked like the WR rounded the cut and Burnett broke inside on the ball. But it probably should not have been thrown either.

I think it's too early to be starting back-ups. "If" we win out, we still have a chance at the playoffs. But if we suffer one more lose, I would start giving them a lot of playing time and get them fighting for next year's starting job now. Although, one of them might get the start over Gay due to the concussion anyway....

Oviedo
12-07-2009, 11:58 AM

I said when they were drafted that Burnett would surprise with how good a DB he is. I'm sure he is getting lots of hate because of the drop but for four years I watched him and he breaks on a football as quick as any DB I have seen. When he left UCF the folks who watch them alot all thought he was further ahead than Asante Samuel when he left UCF.

Burnett will be a solid DB. Only thing IMO that keeps him from being a starting CB is his height but ball skills he does have.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 12:01 PM
at this point i would rather have burnett or lewis start instead of gay. burnett's drop was bad but at least he put himself in a good position to make a play. gay would have just slipped and fell

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 12:08 PM
From what I heard, Lewis isn't 100% yet from his rib injury. He can go but still tender and some pain when he breathes heavy. I would go with the healthier of the 2 as the starter. Lewis, most likely, will have to dress for ST.

RKSteel
12-07-2009, 12:17 PM

I wonder why?

Does anyone have any insight to that? Pretty sure Lewis hurt his ribs playing ST during the Bengals game.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-07-2009, 12:23 PM

-making an extra point
etc.

If we're cutting DBs for not making Interceptions, we'll have zero left...
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steelblood
12-07-2009, 12:30 PM
I fear the Steelers will start Deshea and Burnett will be the nickel. I hope not. Though I do see Burnett as the Nickel back of the future. He'll match up well with the quicker smaller slot receivers and he accels at underneath coverage.

phillyesq
12-07-2009, 01:24 PM
I think Deshea will probably start against the Browns, with Burnett playing the nickel, and I think that approach probably makes sense. Burnett will see the field plenty, but starting Deshea helps the rookie avoid the scrutiny leading up to his first start.

If Lewis is healthy, I'd like to see him get some reps as well. I'm pretty sure I read that Burnett is active over Lewis on game day because Burnett is a better special teams player.

Jom112
12-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Interesting:

Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette writes that rookie cornerbacks Joe Burnett and Keenan Lewis could start, with former top corner Ike Taylor possibly headed to the bench.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... e-changes/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/07/tomlin-sounds-ready-to-make-changes/)

Personally I don't think you bench Ike Taylor. But something does need to be done...

Iron Shiek
12-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Tomlin had his weekly spot on Sirius NFL Radio a while ago and vowed that something is going to change. He specifically mentioned that there are some young guys that are possibly going to see the field more. He also mentioned one of the things that attributed to the debacle was a lack of confidence and that there might be people on the bench that have more of it than others and they could start seeing playing time as soon as this week.

Obviously with Gay out, there will be a change. So maybe he's just talking tough when in fact this "change" is out of necessity and not his own choice. But we'll see.

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 03:18 PM
i can't believe fans are down on Burnett for one drop.
damn. yea we needed it, but come on, give the kid a break.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 03:22 PM

i agree, he has a ton of drops to catch up to ike so cut burnett some slack.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 03:24 PM

I'm not down on him at all. It was a tough drop... we needed that INT.

But he got himself in position and as a rookie, stepping in at a time like that, must have been nerve raking. With him, at this point. I'll take the fact that he covered well and defended the pass. I wish he would have caught it. But I'll give a rookie DB a pass or two to work out the nerves.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 03:30 PM

If that was a seasoned vet that drop would be inexcusable.

But a rook pressed into service when the starter is injured will make some mistakes. He read the play better than the rest of our CBs, got in position, but just couldn't make the grab.

That's going to happen with rookies, and if Ike gets benched against the Browns we're really going to have to be patient and let them find their game.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 03:35 PM

But a rook pressed into service when the starter is injured will make some mistakes. He read the play better than the rest of our CBs, got in position, but just couldn't make the grab.

That's going to happen with rookies, and if Ike gets benched against the Browns we're really going to have to be patient and let them find their game.

Wait... sorry... why is Ike getting benched?

birtikidis
12-07-2009, 03:38 PM

I'm not down on him at all. It was a tough drop... we needed that INT.

But he got himself in position and as a rookie, stepping in at a time like that, must have been nerve raking. With him, at this point. I'll take the fact that he covered well and defended the pass. I wish he would have caught it. But I'll give a rookie DB a pass or two to work out the nerves.
I look at it this way... as bad as IKE and CARTER were trailing their guys on the td's dropping an INT is a huge step up!

cruzer8
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
Starting rookies = beware the double move.

SteelCzar76
12-07-2009, 04:03 PM
Lewis and Burnett starting ? Why not start Mundy and Hood as well. And then along with Timmons,...Tomlin can "unleash the full fury" of their collective mediocrity upon the hapless Clowns so that we may win by six points ! :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-07-2009, 04:23 PM
NFL.COM reported Burnett will start for Gay & Townsend will remain the nickel back. Lewis will also see significant playing time.

Steelerphile
12-07-2009, 09:14 PM
I'm interested in seeing Burnett play. He's a smart, alert player. He knew the QB would attack him since he was just in the game and made a nice move in front of that pass. He misjudged the speed of the ball, since he just came in. It got into his body quicker than expected. That is a very natural misjudgement for a player just off the sidelines. I don't think that is a sign of brick hands, ala Ike.

I think Gay tries, but I think that right now he has shown he is not really a starter caliber CB. Ike has a lot of ability, but he sometimes does not seem alert or intense. Burnett may be smallish but I think he has more ability than Gay and more smarts than Ike.

Iron Shiek
12-08-2009, 09:22 AM

I respectfully disagree with everyone saying give the rookie some slack. Ball hits you in the hands and chest...its the most basic football action next to throwing and running. If that was the first game he ever played in his life, maybe I could understand. But he is a professional, that gets paid to a) cover WRs and b) catch the ball when it comes to you. That is the basic job description of a cornerback. He's been playing most likely since high school and probably before that. Several years of college. All the practicing. Yes it was a big spot, but that's why you signed a contract for millions of dollars.

I'm not ready to cut him or proclaim him a bust or anything. But of all the things that happened on that last drive, this was the easiest chance to put the Raiders in their place and he failed. We as fans can be pis$ed at him if we want to. That's why we are fans. For his sake though, hopefully the coaches briefly reviewed it and let him move on.

Oviedo
12-08-2009, 09:44 AM

I respectfully disagree with everyone saying give the rookie some slack. Ball hits you in the hands and chest...its the most basic football action next to throwing and running. If that was the first game he ever played in his life, maybe I could understand. But he is a professional, that gets paid to a) cover WRs and b) catch the ball when it comes to you. That is the basic job description of a cornerback. He's been playing most likely since high school and probably before that. Several years of college. All the practicing. Yes it was a big spot, but that's why you signed a contract for millions of dollars.

I'm not ready to cut him or proclaim him a bust or anything. But of all the things that happened on that last drive, this was the easiest chance to put the Raiders in their place and he failed. We as fans can be pis$ed at him if we want to. That's why we are fans. For his sake though, hopefully the coaches briefly reviewed it and let him move on.

I watched Burnett for 4 years in college and he intercepts that ball 99 out of 100 times. I can only speculate but I'll bet this is what is what was going on in his mind: "I'm going to get this ball and take it back all the way. I'm going to win this game" I have no doubt he was looking for where he was going to run after he caught it and took his eye off the ball for a second.

He is still the goat in this one but it was a rookie mistake. As pointed out unlike our other CBs, he was playing the man correctly and made the break on the ball perfectly. It bodes well for the future but he is a rookie still learning. He has to be up to the task because he will be challenged by teams matching up taller receivers against him. His ability to meet that challenege will determine if he is going to be a starting CB or a Nickle.

NWNewell
12-08-2009, 09:45 AM
I respectfully disagree with everyone saying give the rookie some slack. Ball hits you in the hands and chest...its the most basic football action next to throwing and running.

I think everyone agrees with you.

When I say I'll cut him some slack, I mean:
- I hope the coaches chew his ass out because an NFL CB has as to come up with those gimmies. Turnovers and INT's are NOT a bonus. Winning the TO battle is practically a prerequisite to consistently winning football games.
- Yet I hope the coaches stick him right back in there because he and good coverage, made a good break on the ball, and put himself into position to defend the pass and get an INT.
- But rookie mistakes happen, and while they need corrected, I'm not going to label him an Ike "Stone Hands" Taylor just yet. He'll get a year of latitiude to gain experience, confidence, and NFL coaching before I do that. None the less, he should get a good flogging by the coaches each time that happens.