PDA

View Full Version : So- Where to from here?

Chadman
12-06-2009, 06:41 PM
There has been a few calls for 're-tooling' in the off season, so, ok, what is needed? What is the priority?

Is it the #1 priority to sort out the NT position? Casey is off contract, Hoke is a step down. Do we draft NT & plug him in? Or do we switch to 4-3?

CB? Do we add new blood at CB? And if so- do we put the red line through Burnett & Keenan Lewis as a result?

Ryan Clark- is an upgrade needed at FS? Certainly depth is required, what about a new starter?

DE- last season we bemoaned the age of the DL. Has that need changed with the drafting of Ziggy? Is that all that was needed?

RB- with Parker likely gone, do we need to add another 'lightning'? Or do we actually need a better 'thunder' & let Mendenhall cover the 'every down back' role?

LB- is Farrior done? Is Fox really good enough to replace him? Or do we add depth/starter through the draft?

QB- what EXACTLY are the possible outcomes with Ben's legal case? Could he go to jail if proven guilty? This is a case that doesn't go away...

Oviedo
12-06-2009, 06:50 PM
The decision on 4-3 versus 3-4 needs to be rationally assessed fror sure. The 3-4 scheme we are playing with huge cushions by our CBs isn't working. My thoughts:

1. Seriously assess moving to the 4-3. No one can defend our defense's play this season and the complete lack of adjustments by LeBeau. If we can't play pass defense without Troy then come up with another scheme because Troy will be hurt all season long.

2. Replace Gay now! The season is all but over. Give Burnett and Lewis a chance.

3. Give Hood more reps. Need to see what he can do. Add Sunny Harris to that too.

4. Look to draft a safety or ILB in Round 1. Start making your draft lists now because we only have one playmaker in the secondary.

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 06:57 PM
Ben's case is a civil matter. No jail. Just a psycho looking for a payday.

Chadman
12-06-2009, 07:04 PM
The decision on 4-3 versus 3-4 needs to be rationally assessed fror sure. The 3-4 scheme we are playing with huge cushions by our CBs isn't working. My thoughts:

1. Seriously assess moving to the 4-3. No one can defend our defense's play this season and the complete lack of adjustments by LeBeau. If we can't play pass defense without Troy then come up with another scheme because Troy will be hurt all season long.

2. Replace Gay now! The season is all but over. Give Burnett and Lewis a chance.

3. Give Hood more reps. Need to see what he can do. Add Sunny Harris to that too.

4. Look to draft a safety or ILB in Round 1. Start making your draft lists now because we only have one playmaker in the secondary.

ILB Or FS in Round 1? What about DT if the Steelers stay 3-4? Or DE if they move to a 4-3? If the Steelers stay 3-4, Chadman will say right now that there is no GREATER need than fixing the long term situation at NT- be it resigning Casey, or adding his replacement.

Chadman
12-06-2009, 07:06 PM

So even if he's found guilty of rape, he won't go to jail?

Forgive Chadman's lack of legal knowledge on this one...Aussie...

cruzer8
12-06-2009, 07:13 PM

So even if he's found guilty of rape, he won't go to jail?

Forgive Chadman's lack of legal knowledge on this one...Aussie...

There are no criminal charges so he is not being charged with rape.

What are civil versus criminal charges?

This is a basic legal lesson that most people know from the OJ Simpson case. To oversimplify, a criminal case is a crime against the state resulting in criminal sanctions such as probation, fines, jail time. A civil case results in monetary damages against the person accused of doing a wrong that is against state law.

In a criminal case, to find someone guilty, the jury has to decide that the accused was guilty "beyond a reasonable doubt." Generally, in a civil case, the person bringing the action needs to show to the jury that "more likely than not" each element of the case happened.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/21/ben- ... -the-lega/ (http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/07/21/ben-roethlisberger-sexual-assault-civil-suit-a-look-at-the-lega/)

No worries, mate!

Steel Life
12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
I'd lean towards letting Casey go & going after a DL in round one...it all starts up front & if we find a stud DT then the secondary gets better. Granted that choice gets harder if Berry, Haden or McClain are available...but they won't be unless we pull a Troy-like trade to move up.

Scheme-wise, as long as it fits our personnel I don't care.

LouSteel
12-06-2009, 10:08 PM
There has been a few calls for 're-tooling' in the off season, so, ok, what is needed? What is the priority?

Is it the #1 priority to sort out the NT position? Casey is off contract, Hoke is a step down. Do we draft NT & plug him in? Or do we switch to 4-3?

It absolutely is the priority. Blue-chip 3-4 NTs are essential for the defense and hard to find out of college. I think if we were staying with the 3-4 we should've been grooming a starter much earlier...

CB? Do we add new blood at CB? And if so- do we put the red line through Burnett & Keenan Lewis as a result?

I think it depends on the scheme. Some of their flaws can be mitigated through a scheme switch. Either way I think we need to see lots of Burnett and Lewis so we know what we've got.

Ryan Clark- is an upgrade needed at FS? Certainly depth is required, what about a new starter?

I think Clark is trying to do too much in Troy's absence. I wouldn't mind a hungry young guy to push him, but I think he's pretty solid.

DE- last season we bemoaned the age of the DL. Has that need changed with the drafting of Ziggy? Is that all that was needed?

I wish. Hampton is gone, Smith is getting old, and we've got little depth. Gotta keep getting younger.

RB- with Parker likely gone, do we need to add another 'lightning'? Or do we actually need a better 'thunder' & let Mendenhall cover the 'every down back' role?

Whatever MT said to Mendy after his benching has worked. He has proven to be an every-down back. I like the idea of getting a bigger back to handle some touches.

LB- is Farrior done? Is Fox really good enough to replace him? Or do we add depth/starter through the draft?

Farrior is a big question mark. I want to see Fox get more time.