PDA

View Full Version : Can't defend Tomlin, team

BigRob
12-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Can't do it anymore. This was a complete loss on all sides of the ball. Offense missed opportunities. Defense f'd up. Coaches made some bad decisions.

This team needs to go 8-8 and get some serious new blood. This team looks old on defense.

aggiebones
12-06-2009, 09:58 PM
Teams don't win every year. Rarely do they win back to back.
Sheet happens, let's not get overblown and think its college football where teams can hold dominance for a decade.

LouSteel
12-06-2009, 10:13 PM
Sheet happens, let's not get overblown and think its college football where teams can hold dominance for a decade.

We just got bitch-slapped by one of the worst teams in the league.

We just made BRUCE GRADKOWSKI look good.

Our D folds against a stiff breeze.

I know we can't dominate forever, but come on -- if this team was losing every week to the Saints and the Vikings, that'd be one thing.

Letting PUTRID teams beat you? Unacceptable.

pick6
12-07-2009, 01:47 AM
yeah you have a point. ike taylor c'mon maaaaaannnnnn.

Jooser
12-07-2009, 07:23 AM
After sleeping on it, I watched Tomlin's presser on the PPG website this morning. I honestly have to say that Mike looked absolutely befuddled. For the first time that I remember, he looked like he was ready to lose his composure talking to the press. He's still in a bit of denial about any coaching deficiencies though because he keeps saying we were there, we just didn't make a play. Sorry Mike, although you're right to some extent, we were definitely out of position several times yesterday. Furthermore, if the guys you have in place continue to fail to make a play, then you eventually have to go back into the goody bag of talent and give someone else a shot who might make those plays. That is nothing less than a coaching issue. Too bad if players are getting their feelings hurt, sometimes the bench offers a player a fresh perspective about what's going on out on the field.

I feel guilty as hell that I am so upset about how this season has unfolded. This team's double-speak screams of finger pointing as of late. Their relationships are being tested like nothing in recent history. On one hand the players are praising performances of some, while on the other they make off-handed comments about "folks" not making plays that they were in position to make. When asked if the Steelers still had a shot at the playoffs, MT actually laughed out loud and replied,"Man, I'm just trying to win 'a' game!" I guess that about sums up the 2009 season.

My hope is that next year Mike gets this group refocused and they get their hunger back. The tragedy that is the '09 season started with a soft camp and continues on still. I like Mike a lot, but he's got some difficult decisions to make.

-Joos out

NorthCoast
12-07-2009, 09:16 AM
For those that have been wishing it, you are witnessing the emergence of the 4-3 defense running a Cover 2 package. It ain't looking good. I don't think we have the DBs to make this transition which, if I am not mistaken, require very good bump and run CBs.

I say we stay with the 3-4 and get the talent. Dan Williams -Tennessee would look real good in the black-and-gold as a NT.

frankthetank1
12-07-2009, 09:35 AM
For those that have been wishing it, you are witnessing the emergence of the 4-3 defense running a Cover 2 package. It ain't looking good. I don't think we have the DBs to make this transition which, if I am not mistaken, require very good bump and run CBs.

I say we stay with the 3-4 and get the talent. Dan Williams -Tennessee would look real good in the black-and-gold as a NT.

i actually think taylor and gay are better suited for man coverage than the soft zone that they play.

SteelBucks
12-07-2009, 09:39 AM

They'll stay a 3-4 defense but I did see some Cover 2 in the 4th quarter. IMO, Cover 2 is aweful.....it's a glorified Prevent D.

Ghost
12-07-2009, 10:09 AM

I donít understand this argument. Itís just an excuse to accept mediocrity as if itís impossible to win after a Chammpionship. Going from Super Bowl Champions to a team that will struggle to get to .500 is ridiculous.

And for the record Ė the Colts are on the 7th season of 12 wins or more (8 with 10+ wins). You can consistently win in this league.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 10:57 AM
This team needs to go 8-8 and get some serious new blood. This team looks old on defense.

Perhaps this is a greater issue than any of use want to admit? I completely blew it off when the national media was talking about the Steeler defense's age.... thinking 1 year... how much of a difference can that make. But perhaps there is something too it.

I'm struggling to put my finger on why our defense seems to fold in the 4th quarter, and seems to be getting worse during the second half of the season. Can't really say it is LeBeau's defensive scheme in the 4th quarter because it is about the same as it was last year.

Maybe it, in itself, is not THE reason, but perhaps it is just as much of a contributing factor as absence of Arron Smith, Troy, or the gaping whole we call "Gay".

feltdizz
12-07-2009, 02:00 PM
Our D's age isn't the problem. The problem is the DB's...
With Troy we always had a guy flying in the air breaking up passes...

These other cats aren't anywhere near the ball and if it does touch them they act
like they will die if they hold onto it. If we had one CB who could go up and knock down a pass we would be 10-2....

It's the DB's... Period.

PSU_dropout43
12-07-2009, 02:09 PM
Our D's age isn't the problem. The problem is the DB's...
With Troy we always had a guy flying in the air breaking up passes...

These other cats aren't anywhere near the ball and if it does touch them they act
like they will die if they hold onto it. If we had one CB who could go up and knock down a pass we would be 10-2....

It's the DB's... Period.

:lol: hilarious