Thanks,

msp26505

takagi
12-06-2009, 03:25 PM
I was wondering the same thing...WTF
Where's Mendy???

feltdizz
12-06-2009, 03:26 PM
Maybe Ben is checking out of runs? He is the $100 million dollar man..

msp26505
12-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Half the time it's an empty backfield, so Ben might be changing the play, but not from runs.

I effing hate Bruce Arians.

NJ-STEELER
12-07-2009, 01:09 AM
B. Roethlisberger 18/24

R. Mendenhall 20 -103
W. Parker 3 -15
M. Moore 1 - 7
B. Roethlisberger 3 -7 1 designed

msp26505
12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
B. Roethlisberger 18/24

R. Mendenhall 20 -103
W. Parker 3 -15
M. Moore 1 - 7

If you look at WHEN I posted this, it was during the time Mendy was nowhere to be seen despite breaking off a big run.

Arians must have listened to me.

( ...which of course is grounds for dismissal if he is so desperate as to take advice from some message board hack.) :shock:

fordfixer
12-07-2009, 07:31 AM
B. Roethlisberger 18/24

R. Mendenhall 20 -103
W. Parker 3 -15
M. Moore 1 - 7

If you look at WHEN I posted this, it was during the time Mendy was nowhere to be seen despite breaking off a big run.

Arians must have listened to me.

( ...which of course is grounds for dismissal if he is so desperate as to take advice from some message board hack.) :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 08:53 AM
Guys, I'm all for running more and get on BA about it.... but you are being an idiot about it for this game.

24 pass attempts (25 if you count the sack) and we ran the ball 24 times (27 if you count the QB runs).

About a 50/50 split. Even with trailing twice in the 4th quarter. Otherwise, we would have actually ran the ball more than we passed.

No room to complain at all.

Need to find a different excuess this time.

Oviedo
12-07-2009, 09:09 AM
Guys, I'm all for running more and get on BA about it.... but you are being an idiot about it for this game.

24 pass attempts (25 if you count the sack) and we ran the ball 24 times (27 if you count the QB runs).

About a 50/50 split. Even with trailing twice in the 4th quarter. Otherwise, we would have actually ran the ball more than we passed.

This game was not the offenses fault. The defense failed us again. Quit trying to "fire" Arians because LeBeau has earned the unfortunate right to be "fired" with how the defense has performed this season. His defense made perrenial loser Bruce Gradkowski look like John Elway.

Get over the "legend" grap. If our defense fails because one player is missing (Troy) then it is a poorly designed defense.

msp26505
12-07-2009, 09:17 AM
Again, I point to the fact that I complained about not running when the score was 10-6 and we seemed to go pass-pass-pass punt for several series in a row.

The problem in this game was the defense, without question.

But with apologies to Mark Twain, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I agree that these statistics would look GREAT if the defense hadn't taken another massive dump on the season.

But Arians hardheadedness has been the primary culprit in at least two losses this year, and it could be argued that he is the reason our $100 million QB is on his fourth concussion (and counting).

But again, this particular loss was not his fault. This thread was borne of mid-game frustration.

JTP53609
12-07-2009, 09:20 AM
it was 50/50, no blaming needed...what is bad is us putting parker in for a few series, i understand putting him in when mendy needs a breath, but do not give him a whole entire series, he does not give us the best chance to win, mendy does...

RussBII
12-07-2009, 09:42 AM

This game was not the offenses fault. The defense failed us again. Quit trying to "fire" Arians because LeBeau has earned the unfortunate right to be "fired" with how the defense has performed this season. His defense made perrenial loser Bruce Gradkowski look like John Elway.

Get over the "legend" grap. If our defense fails because one player is missing (Troy) then it is a poorly designed defense.

I think some of the blame falls on the offense as well.

They left at least 11 points on the board via red zone gaffes. Also, a nice long sustained drive to kill most of the clock would've been nice, opposed to striking quickly and handing the ball back to Bruce "Look Ma, I'm a PA QB now!" Gradikowski.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 10:38 AM
Again, I point to the fact that I complained about not running when the score was 10-6 and we seemed to go pass-pass-pass punt for several series in a row.

But with apologies to Mark Twain, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics. I agree that these statistics would look GREAT if the defense hadn't taken another massive dump on the season.

But Arians hardheadedness has been the primary culprit in at least two losses this year, and it could be argued that he is the reason our $100 million QB is on his fourth concussion (and counting).

But again, this particular loss was not his fault. This thread was borne of mid-game frustration.

Seemed to? Or did?

Completely different situation.

msp26505
12-07-2009, 10:59 AM

Seemed to? Or did?

You are correct. It never happened. I posted out of frustration after this drive:

1st and 10 at PIT 48 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to H.Miller (M.Huff).
2nd and 10 at PIT 48 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to M.Wallace to OAK 39 for 13 yards (T.Branch).
1st and 10 at OAK 39 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to S.Holmes to OAK 29 for 10 yards (N.Asomugha).
1st and 10 at OAK 29 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to S.Holmes [J.Richardson]. PRESSURE BY 98 RICHARDSON AND COVERAGE BY 93 KELLY Penalty on OAK-J.Richardson, Defensive Offside, offsetting, enforced at OAK 29 - No Play. Penalty on PIT-C.Kemoeatu, Illegal Use of Hands, offsetting.
M.Moore right guard to OAK 22 for 7 yards (J.Richardson).
2nd and 3 at OAK 22 (No Huddle) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to M.Wallace to OAK 16 for 6 yards (N.Asomugha).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:11.
1st and 10 at OAK 16 B.Roethlisberger pass deep middle intended for H.Ward INTERCEPTED by H.Eugene at OAK -6. Touchback.

I also believe that Bruce Arians is in the bottom quarter of the league as an OC. It's more than quick-strike capability or yards...it's the ability to control a game (even if it's done with the pass).

I'm not advocating a return to a Ron Earhardt offense, but Steeler fans have become accustomed to the team imposing their will upon opposing defenses, and even when Mendy has put up 100 yard games, this has not been the case under Arians.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 11:05 AM
I think some of the blame falls on the offense as well.

They left at least 11 points on the board via red zone gaffes. Also, a nice long sustained drive to kill most of the clock would've been nice, opposed to striking quickly and handing the ball back to Bruce "Look Ma, I'm a PA QB now!" Gradikowski.

Yeah, better red zone execution would've been helpful. But the offense handed the D the lead TWICE in the 4th.

This D failed to stop the potent Raiders attack -- that ranks 31st in points, 31st in total yards, and DEAD LAST in passing yards. TWICE.

That's ****ing insane.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 11:08 AM

Seemed to? Or did?

You are correct. It never happened. I posted out of frustration after this drive:

1st and 10 at PIT 48 B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep right to H.Miller (M.Huff).
2nd and 10 at PIT 48 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to M.Wallace to OAK 39 for 13 yards (T.Branch).
1st and 10 at OAK 39 B.Roethlisberger pass short left to S.Holmes to OAK 29 for 10 yards (N.Asomugha).
1st and 10 at OAK 29 (Shotgun) B.Roethlisberger pass incomplete deep left to S.Holmes [J.Richardson]. PRESSURE BY 98 RICHARDSON AND COVERAGE BY 93 KELLY Penalty on OAK-J.Richardson, Defensive Offside, offsetting, enforced at OAK 29 - No Play. Penalty on PIT-C.Kemoeatu, Illegal Use of Hands, offsetting.
M.Moore right guard to OAK 22 for 7 yards (J.Richardson).
2nd and 3 at OAK 22 (No Huddle) B.Roethlisberger pass short left to M.Wallace to OAK 16 for 6 yards (N.Asomugha).
Timeout #1 by PIT at 01:11.
1st and 10 at OAK 16 B.Roethlisberger pass deep middle intended for H.Ward INTERCEPTED by H.Eugene at OAK -6. Touchback.

I also believe that Bruce Arians is in the bottom quarter of the league as an OC. It's more than quick-strike capability or yards...it's the ability to control a game (even if it's done with the pass).

I'm not advocating a return to a Ron Earhardt offense, but Steeler fans have become accustomed to the team imposing their will upon opposing defenses, and even when Mendy has put up 100 yard games, this has not been the case under Arians.

Fair enough, I was so frustrated it took every fiber of my being to restrain myself from throwing my 8 month old niece (who fell asleep on my shoulder) through my big screen TV during the final minutes of the game. (I'm pleased with that small personal victory! :wink: ).

Just for the record, I was looking at when we were up 10-3 through when we went down 13-10 and we had 14 runs and 14 passes (not including downs that didn't count due to penalties). And most of the passes were because they were forced into passing situations... not because they were pass happy.

When we went up 10-3:

First Series (they tried running, a 1 yd run and penalties killed the drive):
1st & 10 - Run
2nd & 5 - Run
1st & 10 - Run
2nd & 9 - Pass (10 yd holding penalty)
2rd & 19 - Pass
3rd & 19 - Pass (5 yd false start penalty)
3rd & 24 - Pass
4th & 13 - Punt

Second Series (3 minutes left in the half, they were trying to get get some points before the half so the did pass more this series... and it worked, the moved the ball into the Redzone.. then gave away the points):
Pass
Pass
Pass
Pass
Run
Pass
Pass
Pass (intercepted in the endzone)

Third Series (looks like they tried to pounded the crap out of the run that series but it stalled):
1st & 10 - Run
2nd & 7 - Run
3rd & 1 - Run
1st & 10 - Run
2nd & 7 - Run
3rd & 7 - Pass
4th & 7 - Punt

Forth Series (looks like they mixed in a lot of runs quite nicely. Unfortunately they gained a rand total of 2 yards on 2 runs at the end and then didn't pick up the blitz on 3rd down):
1st & 10 - Pass
2nd & 3 - Run
3rd & 1 - Run
1st & 10 - Pass
2nd & 5 - Run
3rd & 6 - Pass
1st & 10 - Run
2nd & 8 - Run
3rd & 8 - Pass
4th & 17 - Punt

Next series they were down 13-10.

ikestops85
12-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Run the damn ball? How can we run the ball? Mendy had a lousy game. Take away his 60 yard run and what did he do? 19 carries for 43 yards is barely 2 yards a carry. That's pathetic.

Why should Mendy get a pass when Willie never did for games like this? In fact Willie had a better game, 3 carries for 15 yards. A straight 5 ypc without any carries for a loss. Now that's a real running game.

Now some of you Mendy supporters are going to say the blocking is bad. Well I say that isn't true. I saw holes that Mendy missed and just because they were on the side away from where the play was designed to go doesn't mean anything. Mendy must have bad vision. I also saw Mendy dancing around in the backfield and don't give me this crap it was because there were 3 defenders in the backfield with him. It just showed me his lack of decisiveness.

Start Willie and our problems will be over!!

NOTE: The above rant was done tongue in cheek. I think Mendy has done a good job as the starter and will continue to grow and get better. I'm just in a PISSY MOOD and wanted to tweak those who liked to throw Willie under the bus. If a RB doesn't have blocking he can't do sh!t.

Steeler Mafia
12-07-2009, 01:14 PM
Against the worst rushing Defense in the league, we need to do better than a 50-50 balanced offense. Mendy should of had 35 carries this game. Take what the defense gives you. If they can't stop the run, keep running it until they do. This is what Arians brings to the Steelers. A stubborn OC that will cut off his nose to spite his face. Is this the main reason we lost, no, but it is a contributing factor.

papillon
12-07-2009, 01:23 PM
Regardless, the Steelers could have used the sure 3 points when they were stopped on 4th and 1 eschewing the field goal for a chance at a touchdown early in the game. Take the points and play defense. The defense was good in the first half, so, points should have been the call.

Pappy

ikestops85
12-07-2009, 01:48 PM
Against the worst rushing Defense in the league, we need to do better than a 50-50 balanced offense. Mendy should of had 35 carries this game. Take what the defense gives you. If they can't stop the run, keep running it until they do. This is what Arians brings to the Steelers. A stubborn OC that will cut off his nose to spite his face. Is this the main reason we lost, no, but it is a contributing factor.

But they DID stop the run. We started out running and got nowhere. Yes, Mendy did break off one good run but aside from that they shut us down. For some reason our O-Line has trouble blocking poor run stopping teams. We blocked a thousand time better against the Ravens than we did against the Raiders. Hell, we couldn't even get a yard against them with 2 tries. That's pathetic and not the coaches fault. I don't care if they have 11 in the box you have to be able to get a yard. For some reason the players aren't bringing it every game.

Regardless, the Steelers could have used the sure 3 points when they were stopped on 4th and 1 eschewing the field goal for a chance at a touchdown early in the game. Take the points and play defense. The defense was good in the first half, so, points should have been the call.

If we kick the FG and lose the game Tomlin get criticized for not going for it. If we go for it and don't make it he gets criticized for not kicking the FG. The only way to escape criticism is to go for it and make it.

I can't fault the decision because if we can't get 1/2 a yard against the Raiders we don't deserve to win. I mean they went for it twice against our exhalted D and made it both times ... with ease.

msp26505
12-07-2009, 02:02 PM
One thing that I suspect we'll never see with a Bruce Arians led offense is a commitment to the run for the long haul.

How many times in the past did Bettis (or Parker, or Zereoue, Morris, Foster, etc.) have runs for minimal or no gains early on, then as the defense began to tire, started popping 5, 10, or 20 yard gains in the second half?

When a running back gets 100+ yards in an Arians offense, it's less of a game changer and more happenstance. Don't get me wrong, it's still nice, but Arians uses the run so ineffectively that it neither controls the clock nor creates more space for receivers.

LouSteel
12-07-2009, 02:07 PM
I can't fault the decision because if we can't get 1/2 a yard against the Raiders we don't deserve to win. I mean they went for it twice against our exhalted D and made it both times ... with ease.

QFT.

NWNewell
12-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Why should Mendy get a pass when Willie never did for games like this? In fact Willie had a better game, 3 carries for 15 yards. A straight 5 ypc without any carries for a loss. Now that's a real running game.

Right.... 3 carries defines a real running game.

Not taking anything away from Willies contributions yesterday, but your statement is utterly stupid.

Steel Life
12-07-2009, 11:01 PM
The thing with Arians is that he's inconsistent with his run calls & since he eschews the FB, he tends to call runs that are feast or famine. Besides we all know that he is a pass-first guy, so his desire to impose his will on a defense is with the pass not the run. And in what is a head-scratcher, he doesn't seem to like designed passes to his RBs & he's got two guys in Mendenhall & Moore who have great hands.

But back to the point...while Arians would point this game out as an example of his "balanced" offense & the fact they put up enough points to win, I would assert that this is precisely the kind of game where you need to grind out yards & sustain drives to give the defense a blow. This is the kind of game, against the 31st ranked run defense - where your stud RB gets the ball 30+ times & not treat him like he's on a pitch count.

msp26505
12-08-2009, 09:30 AM
But back to the point...while Arians would point this game out as an example of his "balanced" offense & the fact they put up enough points to win, I would assert that this is precisely the kind of game where you need to grind out yards & sustain drives to give the defense a blow. This is the kind of game, against the 31st ranked run defense - where your stud RB gets the ball 30+ times & not treat him like he's on a pitch count.

This is EXACTLY how I feel about it. Arians offense doesn't take into account what is best for the TEAM. While they may put up some nice numbers and occasionally appear to have a good balance, when the D is playing this poorly, it is incumbent upon the offense to take up the slack as much as possible.

While they appear to be ABLE to, Arians is CHOOSING not to help the D. There's a difference. The D is just a mess right now, so you do what is necessary to compensate for that weakness. You shorten the game, you take fewer chances, and you get points when you are in the red zone.