PDA

View Full Version : It's Not the Defense

NorthCoast
12-06-2009, 09:47 AM
Looking at the team rankings for this season points to the problem. The Steelers are merely average in scoring offense ranked #16th. However the scoring defense is ranked #8 in the league. Yes, you could argue individual games skew these results but over a season things tend to return to the mean. It's the differential between the two categories that tells the story. Look at the DeadSkins, they are ranked 9th in scoring defense but 29th in scoring offense, hence their lousy record. Need another example? Falcons and Giants are tied for 8th in scoring offense, but are 18th and 23rd in scoring defense, respectively. This is the opposite of the Steelers problem because they are scoring plenty of points but can't stop anyone from scoring.

Our offense has not been scoring enough points to win these games, it's that simple. We have the talent to be a Saints offense, but it just is not being utilized correctly.

Sugar
12-06-2009, 10:23 AM
The Steelers are also allowing a lot of points when the D is not on the field. INT returns for TD's and returns for TD's have burned the boys a lot this year.

Last I looked, the D was only allowing about 15 points a game. That should be more than good enough to win with the talent we have on offense.

Oviedo
12-06-2009, 10:40 AM
It's not entirely the defnse, but the inability to stop opponents from marching down the field in the 4th quarter is on them. It has cost us three games for sure. Unlike last year, they have not been able to make the play that closes the door in the 4th quarter.

anger 82&95
12-06-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm concerned about the recent play of the Steelers's Gay CB. As poorly as the Raiders are managed, someone must have noticed that Gay can't cover.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 12:02 PM
I'm concerned about the recent play of the Steelers's Gay CB. As poorly as the Raiders are managed, someone must have noticed that Gay can't cover.

The Raiders beat to pretty good teams in the Eagles and Bengals. They do have the talent on defense to give offenses problems.

Any given Sunday. Lets hope this is not the Sunday.

Flasteel
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM

The Raiders beat to pretty good teams in the Eagles and Bengals. They do have the talent on defense to give offenses problems.

Not in Pittsburgh.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 12:08 PM
Looking at the team rankings for this season points to the problem. The Steelers are merely average in scoring offense ranked #16th. However the scoring defense is ranked #8 in the league. Yes, you could argue individual games skew these results but over a season things tend to return to the mean. It's the differential between the two categories that tells the story. Look at the DeadSkins, they are ranked 9th in scoring defense but 29th in scoring offense, hence their lousy record. Need another example? Falcons and Giants are tied for 8th in scoring offense, but are 18th and 23rd in scoring defense, respectively. This is the opposite of the Steelers problem because they are scoring plenty of points but can't stop anyone from scoring.

Our offense has not been scoring enough points to win these games, it's that simple. We have the talent to be a Saints offense, but it just is not being utilized correctly.

The Steelers don't have a QB playing like the Saint's QB. That's where it all starts for the Saints.

Some will say its the Steelers offense. Some will say it's the special teams. Some say it's the defense. How come no one can reach a consensus? How about this, as a team the Steelers are not getting it done? They are too inconsistent at this point.

When given the opportunity, the defense has to make stops at the end of games. Just as the offense has to score in the red zone. The special team needs to stop giving up momentum changing scores.

BURGH86STEEL
12-06-2009, 12:09 PM

Not in Pittsburgh.

I hope not. They need to win this game today.

NorthCoast
12-06-2009, 01:00 PM
For those that say it is not the offense, then I ask the following question:

Do you honestly believe this offense has average talent cause that's what their ranking says?

I don't. I think they have top 10 and maybe even top 5 talent. It is the offense that is underperforming and the offensive playcalling is not helping the cause.

grotonsteel
12-06-2009, 01:54 PM
For those that say it is not the offense, then I ask the following question:

Do you honestly believe this offense has average talent cause that's what their ranking says?

I don't. I think they have top 10 and maybe even top 5 talent. It is the offense that is underperforming and the offensive playcalling is not helping the cause.

I think Steelers team itself is under performing but somehow only BA and Big Ben are bashed. Steelers D is given a free pass even though they are under performing.

Steelers CB don't have a single INT in this season. Can Steelers D make a play to save the game??? Steelers D stinks in 4th Q. Steelers D has given big plays at crucial time. They have given so many 80+ yards drive this season. Have Steelers D made a stop when needed??

I think Steelers D should be one of the worst D in the league in 4th Q.

feltdizz
12-06-2009, 03:36 PM
We do not have the top talent on offense.. who do we have that can go up and take the ball away from a defender?

We are the Detroit Pistons of old... gritty and hard working but not flashy or high flying with the offense..

We don't have a Swann.. we have a flat footed Hines who is a possession WR who blocks well... we have a young RB who has yet to stiff arm a player and go get his TD...
We have a QB who will not throw the ball to an open running back if he sees a WR's look kinda open with 3 players around him.. and he also throws some head scratching drive killing INT's...

those type of players don't put 40 up on anyone.. they put up 21 and 17...

now the D that is number one should be able to cover this but ST's and Ben's INT's are making that late 4th quarter stop harder to make.. and this year they ain't making them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-06-2009, 04:54 PM
This game it is the defence (Raiders). Gradkowski pass for a TD in the 4th qrtr. WIDE open uncovered receiver. Sheesh.

AngryAsian
12-06-2009, 05:06 PM
IT IS THE DEFENSE!!!

WE CAN"T STOP ANYBODY

Shoe
12-06-2009, 05:16 PM
Thread starter:
Care to revise your title?

RussBII
12-06-2009, 05:17 PM
IT IS THE DEFENSE!!!

WE CAN"T STOP ANYBODY

Or catch a ball...

The loss isn't Joe Burnette's fault, but if he catches that ball we win... IT HIT HIM THE CHEST!!!

Jooser
12-06-2009, 05:18 PM
No doubt it was the defense today....CHOKERS.

Iron Shiek
12-06-2009, 05:19 PM
I'll pile on. LMAO. our secondary a wretched bunch of dung

Wolfhound45
12-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Guess it may be the defense now. 21 points in the 4th quarter. A drive the length of the field with only one time out (which was not used). Another loss.

birtikidis
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
Carter is terrible. he runs so far behind the reciever it looks like he's a part of the camera crew trying to get the best view of the play for the fans at home.
William gay. Listen buddy, just because you're laying on the ground with your legs spread doesn't mean the offensive player is going to forget about the pass being thrown to him so that he can stare at your balls.
Ben you're only good when someone hits you. maybe before every play the offensive line should beat the crap out of you in the huddle.
damn.

grotonsteel
12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
It's still not the defense??????...You need to change the subject.

Steelers D can't make a stop when needed. Bruce looked like Elway today.

feltdizz
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
I knew it wasn't the Defense.. 20/33 for 308 yards and a TD.. LOL!!!!

Do you really think our O could score enough to win with the D we have right now?

RussBII
12-06-2009, 05:26 PM
Carter is terrible. he runs so far behind the reciever it looks like he's a part of the camera crew trying to get the best view of the play for the fans at home.
William gay. Listen buddy, just because you're laying on the ground with your legs spread doesn't mean the offensive player is going to forget about the pass being thrown to him so that he can stare at your balls.
Ben you're only good when someone hits you. maybe before every play the offensive line should beat the crap out of you in the huddle.
damn.

Hehehe this made me laugh really hard.

"Hey! Check out these nuts..."
<completion>
"Maannnn... you didn't even look at my nuts... "

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2009, 05:45 PM
No pass rush....
Porous secondary....
Can't come up with turnovers...
LeBeau's softee schemes give up 21 points in what, 8 minutes?

Nah, it's not the defense...

BradshawsHairdresser
12-06-2009, 05:47 PM
No pass rush....
Porous secondary....

skyhawk
12-06-2009, 06:05 PM
Teams have figured out the Steelers pass D. Just like in 2001 and 2003.

We have seen this before.

feltdizz
12-06-2009, 06:12 PM
No doubt it was the defense today....CHOKERS.

today? LOL!!! What offensive juggernaut have we lost to all season?
Our D is letting KC, Oakland, Baltimore and Chicago look like offensive geniuses as they march 90+ yards on us with under 5 left in the fourth....
these teams are terrible on offense.. yet we make them look like HOFers..

but we complain when Arians only puts up 17 with a 3rd stringer or we score only 27 on KC..

DukieBoy
12-06-2009, 06:20 PM
IT IS THE DEFENSE!!!

WE CAN"T STOP ANYBODY

We have had a 4th qtr lead and failed to hold it in 5 of the 6 losses.
Radio said we were 2 of 7 today in the Red Zone.
Raiders had 5 passing TD's coming in today, They had 3 passing TD's today.

Oviedo
12-06-2009, 06:53 PM
No pass rush....
Porous secondary....

Can't be the defense because LeBeau is a "genius" and everything is Arians' fault.

Uncle Rico
12-06-2009, 07:33 PM

Hell with statistics. No one on defense is stepping up and making plays when a play has to be made.

Scarletfire1970
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM

Our offense has not been scoring enough points to win these games, it's that simple. We have the talent to be a Saints offense, but it just is not being utilized correctly.I don't care what the stats say. It's the defense.

When Oakland can score 21 points in the 4th qtr...it's the defense!

DHSF
12-06-2009, 07:43 PM
We don't have a Swann.. we have a flat footed Hines who is a possession WR who blocks well... we have a young RB who has yet to stiff arm a player and go get his TD...

Funny, that is exactly what I saw on the Mendenhall TD today when he ran it on a sweep to the left side from the Oakland 4.

feltdizz
12-06-2009, 08:23 PM
.quote]

Funny, that is exactly what I saw on the Mendenhall TD today when he ran it on a sweep to the left side from the Oakland 4.

Good for Mendenhall... yay!!! Hopefully we use him more..

LouSteel
12-06-2009, 09:54 PM

That's enough to make you puke.

We made BRUCE FREAKING GRADKOWSKI look good.

This D makes me sick.

birtikidis
12-06-2009, 09:56 PM

That's enough to make you puke.

We made BRUCE FREAKING GRADKOWSKI look good.

This D makes me sick.
this has been my complaint of our defense for a while. hell we always make bad qb's look good. remember vick tearing us up a few years ago?