PDA

View Full Version : Woodley on "Unleash HELL" Comment

Jooser
12-05-2009, 07:39 AM
Says the Steelers are going bring it....

Woodley explains Tomlin's "unleash hell" remark

Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2009 11:04 PM ET

After losing in overtime to the Ravens on Sunday night, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin peeled off a Gladiator reference, explaining that the team plans to "unleash hell" in December.

On Friday night, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley explained the "unleash hell" remark to Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio.

Unfortunately, there will be no flaming arrows.

"I asked [Tomlin] that today in practice," Woodley said, "what he meant by that. He said, 'We're not going to sit back and get hit in the mouth. We're not going to be surprised by anything. We're going to do the attacking. We're going to throw the first punch. That's what that means. We're bringing it.' He smiled about it [when I asked], but I wanted to know what did he mean by that, and he told me what it was."

The Raiders likely will get a more direct explanation on Sunday.

OK, so why haven't we been hitting people in the mouth first all season? Does this mean we're done with the 4 man rush and soft zone? Are we done letting Potsy's slow ass cover backs out of the backfield on obvious passing situations? Are we done ignoring what our very talented RB can so when given ample opportunity? If these things are addressed this Sunday, then why have we waited until the season is on verge of being over before adjusting? :!: Football is a violent sport, so IMHO, Hell should be unleashed every time you step on the field of battle, OK coach?

BURGH86STEEL
12-05-2009, 07:51 AM
Says the Steelers are going bring it....

Woodley explains Tomlin's "unleash hell" remark

Posted by Mike Florio on December 4, 2009 11:04 PM ET

After losing in overtime to the Ravens on Sunday night, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin peeled off a Gladiator reference, explaining that the team plans to "unleash hell" in December.

On Friday night, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley explained the "unleash hell" remark to Todd Wright of Sporting News Radio.

Unfortunately, there will be no flaming arrows.

"I asked [Tomlin] that today in practice," Woodley said, "what he meant by that. He said, 'We're not going to sit back and get hit in the mouth. We're not going to be surprised by anything. We're going to do the attacking. We're going to throw the first punch. That's what that means. We're bringing it.' He smiled about it [when I asked], but I wanted to know what did he mean by that, and he told me what it was."

The Raiders likely will get a more direct explanation on Sunday.

OK, so why haven't we been hitting people in the mouth first all season? Does this mean we're done with the 4 man rush and soft zone? Are we done letting Potsy's slow bad word cover backs out of the backfield on obvious passing situations? Are we done ignoring what our very talented RB can so when given ample opportunity? If these things are addressed this Sunday, then why have we waited until the season is on verge of being over before adjusting? :!: Football is a violent sport, so IMHO, Hell should be unleashed every time you step on the field of battle, OK coach?

There will always be times in games when they rush 4 and play zone. There will be times Farrior has to cover RB's and TE's. They have not ignored Mendenhall. They prefer to put the ball in the hands of what most people feel is the offenses best player.

They have not waited till this Sunday before adjusting. I can understand if the team was getting blown out. Most of the games came down to the wire. They are losing games they won last year. Mostly, because the defense is coming up short at the end of games.

Fans taking the coaches words as 100% gold is one reason why I wish Tomlin did not make that statement.

Jooser
12-05-2009, 08:17 AM
Yeah, you're right 'Burgh, I suppose all those things were just imaginary. The delusional Jooser, ya, that's me.

calmkiller
12-05-2009, 10:29 AM
Yeah, you're right 'Burgh, I suppose all those things were just imaginary. The delusional Jooser, ya, that's me.

$$$$

BURGH86STEEL
12-05-2009, 10:56 AM

I did not say anyone was delusional. People usually make more of comments coming from coaches or players. Oh well, it is your prerogative to put what ever meaning you wish into those comments.

Just try not to get yourself too worked up by what the coaches and players have to say. You know, the players know, coaches know, and everybody else knows they have to play their best every week to win in the NFL. Talk is so cheap. It's why I usually don't put to much stock into what they say.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
12-05-2009, 12:01 PM
You guys know I'm a big Tomlin fan.

But when he says something like this he begs the question, if hell is going to be unleashed in December, what the h*ll were they doing in September, October, and November?

He may not have realized it when he said it, but he's calling his own performance into question by implying there was more left in the tank at the end of each game so far.

I think it was more a poor choice of phrasing than a reflection of his coaching.

BigRob
12-05-2009, 12:12 PM
Why does everyone take a motivational strategy by the coach and over analyze it? Its clearly meant to get his teams attention and help create the mindset he desires for the last month of the season. Jesus, the man has done a fabulous job up to this point. What he did in two years, Cowher couldn't do for fifteen years.

We all know this is going to be a big off season for this team. It needs to get younger in a major way. So, lets see what Tomlin gives us for the rest of the season and then evaluate what went right or wrong for this year.

feltdizz
12-05-2009, 01:05 PM
Winning has a way of making a coach sound smart.... and losing makes the same coach sound foolish

Mister Pittsburgh
12-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Maybe Tomlin felt a debt of gratitude toward this group of players after steamrolling to the Superbowl in only his second year. Cemented him as a STEELERS Superbowl winning coach. Probably feels a debt of gratitude to Arians, LeBeau, and the rest of his coaching staff. What a story book start to his NFL head coaching career it has been. I think that led to him letting out some leash and taking his veteran players like Ben, Hines, Holmes, Harrison, Foote, Troy, taking their word on the offseason agenda. I am sure they had suggestions when they played a full month longer than other teams.

Come mini camp maybe the ship wasn't run quite as tight. Little lee-way on workouts. The players had appearances all over the place. More media commitments, etc. Then came training camp in Latrobe which was hailed as the easiest camp the Steelers have ever had at St. Vincent. Our 1st string offense looked anything but Superbowl caliber in the preseason. We only put up 13 to start the season on a Titans team that lost thier next 5 to some mediocre teams, one even led by rookie Mark Sanchez that put up 24 points on the Titans.

Needless to say we got off to a very slow start this season. We have also had visits from the injury bug on a boatload of occasions. You hear the saying that injuries are no excuse but lets get real here for a minute. Losing players like Troy, Aaron, Ryan Clark, Travis Kirshke, Lawrence Timmons on your defense for extended periods of time, even on the IR for Smith, now that hurts a defense.

Now, on offense our offensive line has actually been pretty solid this season despite some major injuries. Starting right guard Darnell Stapleton was out from the get go and Trai Essex was plugged in. Kemoeatu is now out for a period of time and Foster has stepped it up. Legursky has played. I think the only guys I haven't seen go down are Colon and Hartwig. So that leaves our offensive skill players to pick up the slack.

So far on our offense we have seen Willie Parker start the year only to get injured again. Rashard Mendenhall has been stellar but under utilized in my opinion in Bruce Arians offense. Not just in the running game but also in the passing game. I like the ability to throw to your RB on any down, not just 3rd when Mewelde is in the game. From here on out I would keep Mendenhall in on every down with Moore giving him a break every 3rd series or whenever he needs one. I keep Parker as a reserve. Give him a carry here and there.

On short yardage situations I would consider using Carey Davis in 3rd & short situations with Johnson as the FB and Foster in as a TE once Kemo is healthy. On 3rd & 2 I have no problem bringing in the road graders and power the ball 2 yards. With that crew we should be able to.

Our WR corp have dropped a lot of passes this year. They also don't seem to always be on the same page as Ben. I think Holmes screwing up a read cost Ben at least one TD the other way. Hines has been pretty clutch as always but also stuck his grinning face out into the limelight trying to get the attention of the media. Very un-leader like in my opinion. I honestly am not sure if Randy Moss would have done something like that to Tom Brady and I am not kidding. But, moving on, I think Sweed was a huge letdown after all the hype Arians and Tomlin were giving him in the preseason. We needed him to step up and become another Plaxico and instead is looking closer to another Fred Gibson. I was pretty amped about signing Sean McDonald. He caught around 80 passes for 800 yards 2 years ago for Detroit but didn't see the field at all. He should have been utilized in 4 WR packages this season. He is sure handed and quick like Hines so would have been great to have Wallace, Holmes, Hines, McDonald out there for some no huddle action.

This leads to Heath and Spaeth. I am not even going to spend time talking about Heath because he is perfect. Blocking, catching, running, perfection for a TE. He has let a block slip here or there and missed ONE pass that got tipped for an INT. But I am going to overlook those small issues. Now Spaeth, to me, is totally used wrong. Spaeth is 6'7" tall and weighs 270lbs. He was a very good pass catching TE out of Minnesota. The guy can catch. Now in the redzone, where we totally struggle, wouldn't Spaeth be a very attractive target for a jump ball if you lined him up as a WR? I would like to see a CB or shorter, slower LB cover Spaeth. At least try it and try and draw pass interference for cripes sake. The Cardinals scored on our top ranked defense in the Superbowl with a jump pass to a TE.

Finally, we have Ben. Legal issues, injury, Monday Night Raw, man. Ben has made some great plays this year, and a lot of those plays where you just kind of raise your eyebrows and look at your buddy like WTF was he looking at. I swear Ben has blind spots after his wreck. But sometimes this guy just gets in a funk where he is throwing long, throwing short, passing up wide open WR, TE, and RB for short gains and just trys to throw 30 yards downfield instead of a guaranteed 8 yard toss. If Ben could stop being greedy and take what is there, we would be far better off. Throw in some of the wrinkles I mention above with Spaeth, McDonald, Carey Davis, and the Menedenhall being an every down back with Moore giving him breaks, and we will be fine.

In essence, and why I started writing this in the first place, is I think Tomlin gave the players the benefit of the doubt this offseason and didn't go as hard on them early on. I think some of these players showed up to work their way into shape after a short, distraction filled offseason. I think some injuries have effected us, and backups just aren't as good as starters. So with the "UNLEASH HELL" comments I think what Tomlin is saying to his players, and his coaching staff, is its time to wake the F up and get it on. It is time to play Championship caliber football. No more excuses. We gotta overcome the adversities and steamroll through these next 5 games into the playoffs.

It is time for another one of those runs!

grotonsteel
12-05-2009, 01:21 PM
I will see this Sunday afternoon what hell is...I hope i like it... :mrgreen:

LasVegasGuy
12-05-2009, 05:12 PM
If we lose we can stick a "pitchfork" in the season.

SteelCrazy
12-05-2009, 05:26 PM
What I think he means by that or what I hope he means, is he will not let the assistants get soft...play it safe. We have been content on keeping games close and hoping for the best. That worked last year, but this year teams have figured out if they get aggressive in the end of the game we will falter. teams have been blitzing Ben a lot more at the end of games, especially when it is a close game.

They best way to ensure that doesn't happen is to get a big lead and work a team over. "Unleash the Hell!"