PDA

View Full Version : Ward blames R. Harrison for comments getting out of control

SteelCrazy
12-04-2009, 08:45 PM
teelers WR Hines Ward has blamed NBC analyst Rodney Harrison for inciting a controversy surrounding his criticism of Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger this week.

Ward said Sunday that the locker room was split '50-50' on whether Roethlisberger, who missed last week's game with effects of a concussion, should have played.

After Ward's remarks were broadcast on NBC, Harrison, a former Patriots safety, said he was "really shocked" by them. "If Tom Brady had a hangnail, never would any of the guys question Tom Brady," Harrison said of his former New England teammate.

Ward this week said Harrison "stirred up the whole thing" with his remarks, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported. He consulted with his mother, Kim Young-hee, who told him his remarks about Roethlisberger weren't a big deal.

"But Rodney Harrison, ex-Patriot, goes out and goes crazy and, 'Well, he threw Ben under the bus,' " Ward told reporters.

Ward apologized to Roethlisberger and his teammates for the remarks. Roethlisberger acknowledged Thursday that he was hurt by them.

Harrison didn't back down from his criticism of Ward on Thursday in an appearance on the Dan Patrick radio show.

"My job is to call it like I saw it," Harrison told Patrick. "He came out on national TV and he said what he said. He said his quarterback should play.

"These guys, they kill me because they say these comments and then when you go as an analyst and you break it down and you think about it from a player's perspective and how it affects the locker room."

Ward said he did not reach out to Harrison, who said he thinks highly of the Steelers receiver. -- Sean Leahy

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... riticism/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/12/hines-ward-rodney-harrison-incited-controversy-around-ben-roethlisberger-criticism/1)

Ozey74
12-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Some people don't know when to shut up. B!tchin' about Harrison at this point serves no purpose. What is done is done.

If Hines wants to complain about Harrison, do it in the offseason, not now.

Captain Lemming
12-04-2009, 10:57 PM
teelers WR Hines Ward has blamed NBC analyst Rodney Harrison for inciting a controversy surrounding his criticism of Pittsburgh QB Ben Roethlisberger this week.

Ward said Sunday that the locker room was split '50-50' on whether Roethlisberger, who missed last week's game with effects of a concussion, should have played.

After Ward's remarks were broadcast on NBC, Harrison, a former Patriots safety, said he was "really shocked" by them. "If Tom Brady had a hangnail, never would any of the guys question Tom Brady," Harrison said of his former New England teammate.

Ward this week said Harrison "stirred up the whole thing" with his remarks, the Pittsburgh Tribune Review reported. He consulted with his mother, Kim Young-hee, who told him his remarks about Roethlisberger weren't a big deal.

"But Rodney Harrison, ex-Patriot, goes out and goes crazy and, 'Well, he threw Ben under the bus,' " Ward told reporters.

Ward apologized to Roethlisberger and his teammates for the remarks. Roethlisberger acknowledged Thursday that he was hurt by them.

Harrison didn't back down from his criticism of Ward on Thursday in an appearance on the Dan Patrick radio show.

"My job is to call it like I saw it," Harrison told Patrick. "He came out on national TV and he said what he said. He said his quarterback should play.

"These guys, they kill me because they say these comments and then when you go as an analyst and you break it down and you think about it from a player's perspective and how it affects the locker room."

Ward said he did not reach out to Harrison, who said he thinks highly of the Steelers receiver. -- Sean Leahy

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... riticism/1 (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2009/12/hines-ward-rodney-harrison-incited-controversy-around-ben-roethlisberger-criticism/1)

Hines "consulted" with his mommy? Are you kidding me?

Hines is a warrior on the field, and I cannot stand Harrison but if Hines it truly sorry for what he said he needs to be a man and take full responsibility.

Hey he wasnt thinking, we've all said stupid things when we didnt have all the facts. I'm not even concerned about it. But dont blame Harrison for this one, and run to mommy so she can tell her little boy everybody is just picking on him.

Flasteel
12-04-2009, 11:49 PM

Hines "consulted" with his mommy? Are you kidding me?

Hines is a warrior on the field, and I cannot stand Harrison but if Hines it truly sorry for what he said he needs to be a man and take full responsibility.

Hey he wasnt thinking, we've all said stupid things when we didnt have all the facts. I'm not even concerned about it. But dont blame Harrison for this one, and run to mommy so she can tell her little boy everybody is just picking on him.

You and Oz bring up great points.

Didn't Ward just learn anything? STFU already and get your focus on where it needs to be. How do you even contemplate addressing this further, let alone tell everyone how you consulted your mom.

Holy crap.

I really hope this isn't some small sign of this team starting to crack under the pressure of 3 straight losses and continual breakdowns. I'm a big fan of Mike Tomlin and what he's done to this point, but holding this team together is on him...let's see how we respond.

A win against the Raiders can serve as a great rally point.

Steel Life
12-05-2009, 12:39 AM
I'll throw Hines a bit of a bone here...Harrison is an ass who hides behind his "I'm telling it like it is" mantra. If you listen to him, especially on DP's show, he comes across as this know-it-all who's better than everybody & praises the P*atriots at every turn. I'm not surprised he & Hines are at odds here, neither are willing to give an inch.

That said, I do think it minimizes Hines to focus on Harrison, but it bears pointing out that Harrison had the benefit of criticizing comments Hines made that were edited for airing & effect. Harrison didn't know any more about Ben's situation than Hines did & made comments that inflamed the situation. Unfortunately for Hines, he'll have to deal with it until he's in the studio.

Captain Lemming
12-05-2009, 02:01 AM
Oh pleaeeese.
If Harrison were never BORN some other dude would rip into Hines. Harrison aint the only one who did as it was.

Heck look at the reaction around here. Harrison aint shaping peoples opinions here. If it is about Harrison blowing comments out of propertion why did Ben say he was hurt? Why apologize?

I dont like Harrison myself, I dont doubt he has no love for Hines. Nevertheless, I could see any former player whose job is to comment on these things reacting the same way.

Heck WARD's OWN FANS are calling him out.

You are right "Harrison didn't know any more about Ben's situation than Hines". The point is you dont go on TV and imply Ben could have played WITHOUT knowing what you are talking about. And even if you have a legit beef, dont comment publicly about it.

What is really stupid about Hines comments is that Costas tried to give him an out, repeatedly saying, "but a concussion is different" giving Hines the opportunity to gracefully agree.

Instead Hines then talks about lying to doctors himself about concussions. What gets me about that is that his comments there imply THAT HE KNEW the doctors made the call. If Ben were tougher he would have never admitted the headache at practice, and the doctors clear him.

There is simply no excuse for the comments.

As much as Harrison is a jerk, Hines presented a low pitch, and Harrison swung. To pass it up would be stupid. Thanks to Hines, Harrisons comments are bigger than ever, great for his career.

I'll throw Hines a bit of a bone here...Harrison is an bad word who hides behind his "I'm telling it like it is" mantra. If you listen to him, especially on DP's show, he comes across as this know-it-all who's better than everybody & praises the P*atriots at every turn. I'm not surprised he & Hines are at odds here, neither are willing to give an inch.

That said, I do think it minimizes Hines to focus on Harrison, but it bears pointing out that Harrison had the benefit of criticizing comments Hines made that were edited for airing & effect. Harrison didn't know any more about Ben's situation than Hines did & made comments that inflamed the situation. Unfortunately for Hines, he'll have to deal with it until he's in the studio.

Steelerphile
12-05-2009, 08:37 AM
I didn't agree with Hine's comments but I do credit Hines for openly saying something like this when it is on his mind.

I think that by him airing this thinking, which is probably common in football players even if they keep it to themselves, had a positive effect around the league.

Big Ben said he was "hurt" but I think he is a strong enough person and that he and Hines have a good enough relationship that the comments won't have a lasting effect.

But the remarks also engendered more open discussion around the league about concussions and how they shouldn't be treated lightly. It has been normal for players to hide concussion symptoms because of subtle peer pressure.

I think it will be easier in the future for players to come out of a game and sit on the sidelines with concussions, and dealing with the attitudes of the teammates is important. So overall, I don't think it was a bad thing that Hines said this.

grotonsteel
12-05-2009, 01:09 PM
"Hines "consulted" with his mommy"...hahahahaha..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe its jealousy that made Hines open up...Hines knows deep down Big Ben preferred Plex over him.

I hope Hines learned his lesson...never ever call out your ticket to Canton.

Wolfhound45
12-05-2009, 05:52 PM
Bottom line, Hines is paid to catch passes, Harrison is paid to have an opinion. Focus on catching passes and keep your mouth shut and you will not have to worry about Harrison.

Too easy.