PDA

View Full Version : Arians, Steelers will pass on Wildcat offense

SteelCrazy
12-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Earlier this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left open the possibility of quarterback Dennis Dixon seeing spot duty even after Ben Roethlisberger returns to the starting lineup.

When asked about that chance Thursday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "Absolutely zero because he's the backup, and we only have two in there."

Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

Dixon scored on a 24-yard run in his first NFL start last Sunday.

The fourth-quarter play, Arians said, was designed to be a pass to Mewelde Moore. Dixon kept the ball following a fake handoff to wide receiver Mike Wallace since he had a clear path to the end zone.

Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

"I felt extremely confident that we were going to win that ballgame the other night with Dennis, and we should have," Arians said.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56124.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_656124.html)

SteelBucks
12-04-2009, 08:27 AM
Thank God.

SteelAbility
12-04-2009, 09:04 AM
"I felt extremely confident that we were going to win that ballgame the other night with Dennis, and we should have," Arians said.

We could have probably salted that game away if we had designed even 3 plays for Dixon to run. The point is that it OPENS UP THE OFFENSE A BIT. For the cost of a small risk of injury we could have had the game. Well worth the expense if you ask me. There are more angles on this than just "we don't want to risk injury." So, now by refusing to run him you run the 100% chance of becoming easier to defend. Genius! Why didn't I think of that? :roll:

You know, I think Herm "you play to WIN the game" Edwards had some real insight that day.

Oviedo
12-04-2009, 09:41 AM

We could have probably salted that game away if we had designed even 3 plays for Dixon to run. The point is that it OPENS UP THE OFFENSE A BIT. For the cost of a small risk of injury we could have had the game. Well worth the expense if you ask me. There are more angles on this than just "we don't want to risk injury." So, now by refusing to run him you run the 100% chance of becoming easier to defend. Genius! Why didn't I think of that? :roll:

You know, I think Herm "you play to WIN the game" Edwards had some real insight that day.

Given that your back up QB had been on the team for 2 days it would not have been smart to having Dixon running against a physical defense like the Raven. Do you think they would have hesitated taking a 15 yard personal foul to knock him out of the game knowing that Palko was the only other option?

Steeler Mafia
12-04-2009, 11:09 AM

Given that your back up QB had been on the team for 2 days it would not have been smart to having Dixon running against a physical defense like the Raven. Do you think they would have hesitated taking a 15 yard personal foul to knock him out of the game knowing that Palko was the only other option?

So he is going to rule it out completely in the upcoming games?!? I tell you, the man is a true genius. Not only that, but he basicallly contradicts what Tomlin said in the presser on Tuesday about using Dixon more. I mean, can we get some sort of Einstein award or Nobel prize up in here for this man? Let's let him loose in Washington so he can fix the Economy and the national unemployment rate.

BA is a complete anal spelunking a$$ clown.

SteelAbility
12-04-2009, 11:20 AM

There are all kinds of ways to mitigate that problem, especially when your QB is cat-quick. THREE plays. Think about it. It's very low risk. But not running him is like using a BB gun instead of a rifle.

MeetJoeGreene
12-04-2009, 11:22 AM

So he is going to rule it out completely in the upcoming games?!? I tell you, the man is a true genius. Not only that, but he basicallly contradicts what Tomlin said in the presser on Tuesday about using Dixon more. I mean, can we get some sort of Einstein award or Nobel prize up in here for this man? Let's let him loose in Washington so he can fix the Economy and the national unemployment rate.

BA is a complete anal spelunking a$$ clown. I hope its a smokescreen by BA. But I doubt it. He just doesn't get it sometimes. We are at the point in the season where it is do or die. We need to take risks. Plain and simple.

SteelAbility
12-04-2009, 12:10 PM

BA is a complete anal spelunking a$$ clown. I hope its a smokescreen by BA. But I doubt it. He just doesn't get it sometimes. We are at the point in the season where it is do or die. We need to take risks. Plain and simple.

$$$$$$$$

I actually thought we were at that point in the Ravens game, but even more so now.

phillyesq
12-04-2009, 12:37 PM

In regulation, I agree with you on protecting Dixon. Once the game got to OT, I think that mindset changes. Dixon was clearly struggling with the zone defense. BA should have done something imaginative to use his talents, similar to the play with Wallace earlier on. Even if not designed runs, a bootleg on play action, something like that. Even a quick WR screen.

Instead, he had Dixon throw a traditional pass on 3rd and 6. The Ravens already knew he wouldn't through outside, because he nearly had a few of those picked-off earlier. So he threw a predictable pass with no imagination, and we all saw what happened.

BA's game plan protecting Dixon early was great. But late in the game, he failed to take advantage of his strengths, failed to show any imagination, and the Steelers lost.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Arians is a tool. How bout you get a little creative Bruce and plug Dixon in on a 4 wide package where he lines up at WR and can be the WR around. He could come around and either get the ball and run with it just like Mike Wallace, he could throw it since he has a better arm than Ben, or you could totally fake the handoff to him to draw the defense to his side.

This would be too much for Bruce to handle. He likes the more elementary offense.

And what is this about not handcuffing Dixon cause you have faith in him? Arians is full of it.

Not designing any plays at all on offense for an athlete like Dixon is just one more example of Bruce Arians not getting the most out of the athletes he has at his disposal. I also think Spaeth, Sweed, Mcdonald, and Logan could easily be utilized more. Especially Sweed & Spaeth in the redzone.

LasVegasGuy
12-04-2009, 01:03 PM
Earlier this week, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin left open the possibility of quarterback Dennis Dixon seeing spot duty even after Ben Roethlisberger returns to the starting lineup.

When asked about that chance Thursday, offensive coordinator Bruce Arians said, "Absolutely zero because he's the backup, and we only have two in there."

Arians said the Steelers don't want the fleet-footed Dixon running the ball in sub packages such as the Wildcat for the same reasons he stated during training camp: it is took risky for the 6-foot-3, 209-pounder.

"He's an extremely good talent as far as speed, and when a play breaks down and he can improvise, that's when he'll be dangerous," Arians said of Dixon. "But if you start designing runs for a quarterback, especially one of his stature, he's going to get broken in half."

The fourth-quarter play, Arians said, was designed to be a pass to Mewelde Moore. Dixon kept the ball following a fake handoff to wide receiver Mike Wallace since he had a clear path to the end zone.

Arians said there were no designed runs for Dixon in the Ravens' game because of the risk of an injury, especially with Tyler Palko as the only healthy quarterback behind Dixon.

Arians said he did not limit Dixon much against the Ravens because of the faith he has in the second-year man.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 56124.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_656124.html)

We should have beat the Bears, we should have beat the Bengals twice, we should have beat the Chiefs and we should have beat the Ravens too. We should be 11-0 but in reality we are 6-5 chasing teams to make the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl.

Maybe in a few weeks Arians will be saying "I felt extremely confident we were going to make the playoffs and we should have."

Mister Pittsburgh
12-04-2009, 01:20 PM

We should have beat the Bears, we should have beat the Bengals twice, we should have beat the Chiefs and we should have beat the Ravens too. We should be 11-0 but in reality we are 6-5 chasing teams to make the playoffs after winning the Super Bowl.

Maybe in a few weeks Arians will be saying "I felt extremely confident we were going to make the playoffs and we should have."

You are precisely right. I feel 100% the same way. With the personel we have we should be undefeated. Sure, the defense gave up the winning drive in the 4th qtr a couple games. Too bad we should have been up by 2 TD's on some of those teams like the Bears and KC. People want to throw around our offensive ranking based on yards this season, but exactly how many teams have we blown out this year? I mean even the Browns were within striking distance to beat us.

BDESteel
12-04-2009, 01:25 PM
Too bad the NFL isn't a democracy like our government. There's been many reasons why we lost our games this year, but the one constant has been the elephant named Bruce in the middle of the room.

I can't recall one person who's ever stuck up for him or said he's even adequate at his job. If there is, please correct me now.

We don't need to run the wildcat but there are many other formations we could use Dixon in to be effective. And as far as keeping him safe. It's football dammit! It's an oxymoron.

Now that been is back, Dixon should be brought in to help out our struggling third down offense, at least.

LasVegasGuy
12-04-2009, 01:29 PM

You are precisely right. I feel 100% the same way. With the personel we have we should be undefeated. Sure, the defense gave up the winning drive in the 4th qtr a couple games. Too bad we should have been up by 2 TD's on some of those teams like the Bears and KC. People want to throw around our offensive ranking based on yards this season, but exactly how many teams have we blown out this year? I mean even the Browns were within striking distance to beat us.

The Lions were in striking difference too. Maybe if we jumped on teams like we are capable off we wouldn't be asking our defense to try and stop a team that has all the momentum of beating the Steelers. Since Tomlin has been around this team doesn't have any killer instinct. We accept winning ugly with no style points and because of it we allow bad teams to hang around gathering momentum by the minute.

LasVegasGuy
12-04-2009, 01:31 PM
Too bad the NFL isn't a democracy like our government. There's been many reasons why we lost our games this year, but the one constant has been the elephant named Bruce in the middle of the room.

I can't recall one person who's ever stuck up for him or said he's even adequate at his job. If there is, please correct me now.

We don't need to run the wildcat but there are many other formations we could use Dixon in to be effective. And as far as keeping him safe. It's football dammit! It's an oxymoron.

Now that been is back, Dixon should be brought in to help out our struggling third down offense, at least.

Ben has been defending Arians for over a year now and Tomlin doesn't have the sack to go up against Ben.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2009, 01:35 PM

The Lions were in striking difference too. Maybe if we jumped on teams like we are capable off we wouldn't be asking our defense to try and stop a team that has all the momentum of beating the Steelers. Since Tomlin has been around this team doesn't have any killer instinct. We accept winning ugly with no style points and because of it we allow bad teams to hang around gathering momentum by the minute.

No killer instinct since Tomlin has been here?

Our defense was historically good last season...better than any defense we had when Cowher was head coach. But they didn't have a killer instinct?

We came up with a ton of huge plays in critical moments last season (think the Dallas game in the regular season, the Ravens games in the regular season and the playoffs, in the Super Bowl). That was no killer instinct?

If you want to make the assertion about a lack of killer instinct this season, fine. But to say this team hasn't had a killer instinct since Tomlin has been coach is seriously misinformed.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Our defense was historically good last season...better than any defense we had when Cowher was head coach. But they didn't have a killer instinct?

We came up with a ton of huge plays in critical moments last season (think the Dallas game in the regular season, the Ravens games in the regular season and the playoffs, in the Super Bowl). That was no killer instinct?

If you want to make the assertion about a lack of killer instinct this season, fine. But to say this team hasn't had a killer instinct since Tomlin has been coach is seriously misinformed.

I would agree we have no killer instinct.....ON OFFENSE. Put a team away for heavens sake. We almost lost the damn AFCCG last year due to our offense sucking. We are facing a Ravens team with a totally depleted secondary, not a starter in there, and we come out after throwing all over them to RUN? Freaking RUN at the Ravens front 7 instead of tear apart their weak secondary? We should have burried them but instead fooled aroudn so they were within striking distance until there were only minutes on the clock when Troy picked off the pass and took it to the house.

Great coaching there!

Mister Pittsburgh
12-04-2009, 01:47 PM

We are on the same page there LasVegasGuy! Totally agree :Cheers

BDESteel
12-04-2009, 02:15 PM

Ben has been defending Arians for over a year now and Tomlin doesn't have the sack to go up against Ben.

No,,, the problem is, the Steelers have a top 10 offense and are the defending SB champs. There's no justification for getting rid of Arians even though no one here thinks he's good at his job.

I think we could be #1 in offense if we had an OC that was creative and used the talent on the team to it's potential, but we don't. Instead, we have a guy that's very conservative and worries about his grid iron football players getting hurt.

There's someone coaching on the Steelers w/out a sack but it ain't Tomlin.

williar
12-04-2009, 02:42 PM
That is just why Arians needs to be packing his bags. This guy has no creativity whatsoever. Just wasting the offensive talent we have on this team. He presumably called two of the worst plays I have ever seen in both overtime games. Against KC that stupid end around play where we lost yards, and then that very risky throw into teeth of the defense, slant to S. Holmes. That same play that was almost picked earlier. It is what it is with this guy. A brilliant offensive mind, he definitely is not!!!! The most creative play I've seen him call was that bootleg by Dixon. Now that was sweet! We could have used a variation of that play when we were in overtime. Dixon was probably the most athletic guy on the field at that time. I'm sure he would have gotten us that first down if given the opportunity....Just win the damn game already. Worry about all of that "what if" stuff later. In the end, did it matter? We lost. I would have rather had Dixon a sprained ankle in victory, then coming out healthy in a loss...

LasVegasGuy
12-04-2009, 03:28 PM

C'mon Ruthless. Do you really believe the defensive play last year was because of Tomlin? If you take off your Tomlin's blinders for a minute you will notice that Lebeau has been building "killer instinct" defenses long before Tomlin even entered the picture. I think you are giving Tomlin to much credit for nothing.

LasVegasGuy
12-04-2009, 03:34 PM
That is just why Arians needs to be packing his bags. This guy has no creativity whatsoever. Just wasting the offensive talent we have on this team. He presumably called two of the worst plays I have ever seen in both overtime games. Against KC that stupid end around play where we lost yards, and then that very risky throw into teeth of the defense, slant to S. Holmes. That same play that was almost picked earlier. It is what it is with this guy. A brilliant offensive mind, he definitely is not!!!! The most creative play I've seen him call was that bootleg by Dixon. Now that was sweet! We could have used a variation of that play when we were in overtime. Dixon was probably the most athletic guy on the field at that time. I'm sure he would have gotten us that first down if given the opportunity....Just win the damn game already. Worry about all of that "what if" stuff later. In the end, did it matter? We lost. I would have rather had Dixon a sprained ankle in victory, then coming out healthy in a loss...

This is another reason why I am so down on Tomlin. If you asked a million Steeler fans what they thought about Arians more then 99% would say to can his butt. Why in the world Tomlin continues to defend this buffoon is beyond me. If Tomlin can't see the writing on the wall, that Arians is a cancer to this offense, then I personally feel the both of them need to pack up their bags and join the college ranks.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2009, 03:51 PM

C'mon Ruthless. Do you really believe the defensive play last year was because of Tomlin? If you take off your Tomlin's blinders for a minute you will notice that Lebeau has been building "killer instinct" defenses long before Tomlin even entered the picture. I think you are giving Tomlin to much credit for nothing.

You said "Since Tomlin has been around this team doesn't have any killer instinct." Last I checked, the dominant defense from last season was part of a team coached by Tomlin.

I didn't attribute the killer instinct to any coach in particular, but it sounds like you are now saying that we had a killer instinct last year because of LeBeau, and we don't have a killer instinct this year because of Tomlin.

This sounds like a similar argument that Arians haters make all the time. When the offense is playing well, it is because of Ben. When the offense is playing poorly, it is because of Arians. When the defense is playing well, it is because of LeBeau. When the defense is playing poorly, it is because of Tomlin.

True Fan
12-04-2009, 04:00 PM

lol..............who's running this team anyways?

Steelerphile
12-04-2009, 06:22 PM

I thought it was a good call by Arians on the TD run by Dixon also, but according to this article, Arians called a pass and had no idea Dixon would do that. That was Dixon's idea. Thank you DD! Wish you would have called your own number in OT.

I used to be in the middle on Arians, but now I don't think he is adequate. He got to be gone next season. How could Tomlin really fire the guy after the SuperBowl victory? But I think his playcalling cost the Steelers this year.

The people who think the Steelers should be killing everybody because Cowher's players are so athletically superior to the rest of the NFL are fooling themselves. Without Troy, the Steeler's defensive backfield is IAMS (dogfood). Not you though Tyrone, wish you could grow three inches and lose 8 lbs.

And some of Tomlin's players, Timmons, Woodley, Mendenhall, Wallace, etc. are some of the team best. I don't like to go there really. It's ludicrous to me to say these are Cowher's players and those are Tomlin's players. Some mentalities are that small, though.

AngryAsian
12-04-2009, 06:40 PM

Agreed. And playing to the strengths of you players wouldn't be a bad idea.... but hell let's go diagonal with our rook. This is BA chess mechanics. Imagination is what we need on offense. JMHO.

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2009, 07:41 PM

Agreed. And playing to the strengths of you players wouldn't be a bad idea.... but hell let's go diagonal with our rook. This is BA chess mechanics. Imagination is what we need on offense. JMHO.

When I read "go diagonal with our rook" I thought you were talking about running slant patterns with Mike Wallace until realizing that you were talking about chess. D'Oh! :lol:

Flasteel
12-04-2009, 08:29 PM

So let me get this straight.

You are giving Tomlin no credit for the "killer instinct" last year, yet you are indicting him for the absence of one this year.

Yeah, that's great logic Vegas.

This is nothing more than you spinning your little propaganda machine.

I agree that Tomlin is ultimately responsible for the success of this team as well as the problems with the offense under Arians. He has however produced double-digit wins in his first two seasons, made the playoffs both times, has one division title, one AFC championship, and of course the 6th Lombardi in our trophy case. Not too shabby for two seasons.

You can blab all you want about it being Cowher's team, but the bulk of that success was achieved a full two seasons after Cowhers last team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

There's no doubt he's made some mistakes so far in his career but Mike Tomlin has earned my trust that he knows what he is doing.

williar
12-04-2009, 09:00 PM
I totally understand the hiring of Arians, as well as retaining him after the superbowl victory. I have been able to live with those decisions thus far. But after this season, which has been somewhat disappointing to say the least (paticularly the offensive production) I say a change is imminent... I know the defense has been underwhelming as well, but they get a pass from me because I thought that they literally carried this team on their backs to the superbowl. And without two of your premier starters (Troy and Aaron) It's hard to expect they maintain that superbowl caliber play throughout this season...

The offense on the other hand, they way we won the superbowl, along with the emergence of Mendenhal and Wallace... I thought that we would be lighting up the scoreboard, and wouldn't have to rely on the defense to hold our opponents to 10 points. I honestly believe we have as much offensive talent on this team as the juggernauts such as NO, NE, Indy, vikings etc... Why our talent is not being maximized? I have to blame Arians for that..... Whizenhunt, Chan Gailey, Cam Cameron, OC's of that caliber would be blowing this offense up. Why don't they ever throw to Matt Spaeth. The way they rant and raved about this guy coming out of college. Just curious... I am convinced as long as we hold onto mediocrity in Arians, I believe this offense will continue to grossly underachieve.

BURGH86STEEL
12-04-2009, 09:53 PM
I totally understand the hiring of Arians, as well as retaining him after the superbowl victory. I have been able to live with those decisions thus far. But after this season, which has been somewhat disappointing to say the least (paticularly the offensive production) I say a change is imminent... I know the defense has been underwhelming as well, but they get a pass from me because I thought that they literally carried this team on their backs to the superbowl. And without two of your premier starters (Troy and Aaron) It's hard to expect they maintain that superbowl caliber play throughout this season...

The offense on the other hand, they way we won the superbowl, along with the emergence of Mendenhal and Wallace... I thought that we would be lighting up the scoreboard, and wouldn't have to rely on the defense to hold our opponents to 10 points. I honestly believe we have as much offensive talent on this team as the juggernauts such as NO, NE, Indy, vikings etc... Why our talent is not being maximized? I have to blame Arians for that..... Whizenhunt, Chan Gailey, Cam Cameron, OC's of that caliber would be blowing this offense up. Why don't they ever throw to Matt Spaeth. The way they rant and raved about this guy coming out of college. Just curious... I am convinced as long as we hold onto mediocrity in Arians, I believe this offense will continue to grossly underachieve.

Steelers have the talent but they have been inconsistent. They made to many mistakes on the field.

We don't know if Whiz, Gailey, or Cameron would be blowing this offense up. Whiz surely did not blow up the offense while he was here. I don't believe Gailey did either. Cameron is not blowing the Ravens offense up. They have just as much talent as the Steeelers. Ravens only score 1 point more per game.

They don't throw more to Spaeth because there are not enough balls to go around. Who do you suggest they take opportunities away from to get Spaeth more touches? One reason they drafted him was to add some depth to the position if anything happened to Miller. He stepped up and played pretty good when Miller missed a couple of games last season.

In every loss outside of one, the offense left the field with the lead. Realistically, most games in the NFL will be close, especially in the playoffs. The simple fact of the matter is the offense scored enough points to win almost every game. They can't do anything if the defense can't make stops when it counts. The coaches cannot do much when the offensive players give the ball away. They can't do much when the defensive players fail to provide turnovers.

Lets say the Steelers offense scores 31 points per game (only 2 teams have done that this season). What good will it be to score 31 if the defense can't stop the other team from scoring 34 points?

Flasteel
12-04-2009, 10:19 PM

Steelers have the talent but they have been inconsistent. They made to many mistakes on the field.

We don't know if Whiz, Gailey, or Cameron would be blowing this offense up. Whiz surely did not blow up the offense while he was here. I don't believe Gailey did either. Cameron is not blowing the Ravens offense up. They have just as much talent as the Steeelers. Ravens only score 1 point more per game.

They don't throw more to Spaeth because there are not enough balls to go around. Who do you suggest they take opportunities away from to get Spaeth more touches? One reason they drafted him was to add some depth to the position if anything happened to Miller. He stepped up and played pretty good when Miller missed a couple of games last season.

In every loss outside of one, the offense left the field with the lead. Realistically, most games in the NFL will be close, especially in the playoffs. The simple fact of the matter is the offense scored enough points to win almost every game. They can't do anything if the defense can't make stops when it counts. The coaches cannot do much when the offensive players give the ball away. They can't do much when the defensive players fail to provide turnovers.

Lets say the Steelers offense scores 31 points per game (only 2 teams have done that this season). What good will it be to score 31 if the defense can't stop the other team from scoring 34 points?

So what you're saying is that you don't agree that we have as talented an offense as the top units in the league. Sorry brother, I'd have to whole-heartedly disagree with that contention.

I'm sure you'll point to the offensive breakdowns and perceived inconsistent (or otherwise) play as evidence our players are not as talented as those on the Saints, Colts, or Pats.

If you agree that our talent is on par with those units, then you'd have to concede that it is some form of coaching behind the problems. Whether it's through poor preparation, not putting them in a position to maximize their skill sets, or flat-out tactical errors, it would have to fall on coaching.

Looks like the corner you're getting backed into just got a little smaller. :D

sd steel
12-04-2009, 10:49 PM

You are giving Tomlin no credit for the "killer instinct" last year, yet you are indicting him for the absence of one this year.

I agree that Tomlin is ultimately responsible for the success of this team as well as the problems with the offense under Arians. He has however produced double-digit wins in his first two seasons, made the playoffs both times, has one division title, one AFC championship, and of course the 6th Lombardi in our trophy case. Not too shabby for two seasons.

You can blab all you want about it being Cowher's team, but the bulk of that success was achieved a full two seasons after Cowhers last team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

There's no doubt he's made some mistakes so far in his career but Mike Tomlin has earned my trust that he knows what he is doing.

And Arians is the OC, "Not too shabby for two seasons". :stirpot

Flasteel
12-04-2009, 11:30 PM

Touché SD!

Unfortunately your crafty attempt to stir the pot is based on nothing more than coincidence.

sd steel
12-05-2009, 12:00 AM

Touché SD!

Unfortunately your crafty attempt to stir the pot is based on nothing more than coincidence.

Just sayin....

But you should agree with LVG, I think he posted that 99% of Steeler fans would get rid of Arians. Everyone knows that the fans always know more than the coaches. :shock:

BURGH86STEEL
12-05-2009, 01:08 AM

So what you're saying is that you don't agree that we have as talented an offense as the top units in the league. Sorry brother, I'd have to whole-heartedly disagree with that contention.

I'm sure you'll point to the offensive breakdowns and perceived inconsistent (or otherwise) play as evidence our players are not as talented as those on the Saints, Colts, or Pats.

If you agree that our talent is on par with those units, then you'd have to concede that it is some form of coaching behind the problems. Whether it's through poor preparation, not putting them in a position to maximize their skill sets, or flat-out tactical errors, it would have to fall on coaching.

Looks like the corner you're getting backed into just got a little smaller. :D

I am not in a corner my friend. My stance has always been that the players are the one's responsible for winning games. The one difference between our team and those 4 teams mentioned is the play of the QB's. Those 4 teams probably get more consistent play from the QB position this season. Ultimately, an offenses fortunes rest with the QB and not the OC. The overall team's performances rest with the QB's and defense.

Will changing the OC keep the defense from giving up leads? Will changing the OC make Ben take what the defense gives? Will it improve his deep ball to become more consistent and accurate? Will it keep him from holding onto the ball too long? Will it make him throw better and more consistently with anticipation? Reading defenses? I don't believe any of these things will change with Ben unless Ben wants to change. Maybe work harder to improve in those areas. I hate to say this but I am not certain that Ben has the work ethic necessary to improve in some areas right now. He continues to have some of the same issues he had as a rookie.

We can sit here and speculate about preparation, not putting players in a good position, tactical errors, or whatever else that has to do with coaching. No one can say for sure if the coaching errors were that bad with looking at game film. I know that these offensive players were put in positions to produce on several occasions. Mistakes by the players on the field hurt this offense. Sure we can sit here and nitpick over play calls we don't like. We can go through the same scenario for every team in this league.

This team was put in a position to win on several occasions. The defense allowed the other team to go down the field and score to win games. IMO, that is the main problem with the team right now. The defense has to step up in those situations.

feltdizz
12-05-2009, 02:56 AM

shhh... Slow down, you are killing them... Take that, take that..

The O always scores enough points to win games but then the D blows the lead and it's the O's fault. I'm sorry, maybe I'll get banned but this board is full of flaming BA haters who bend over and spread for the Big D.

I'm tired of the same BA drama. We could have Ward at QB throwing a flea flicker TD for the lead and people would still blame BA if the D lost the game.

Flasteel
12-05-2009, 03:30 AM

The O always scores enough points to win games but then the D blows the lead and it's the O's fault. I'm sorry, maybe I'll get banned but this board is full of flaming BA haters who bend over and spread for the Big D.

I'm tired of the same BA drama. We could have Ward at QB throwing a flea flicker TD for the lead and people would still blame BA if the D lost the game.

Please Dizz.

I'd like to think that I've presented myself as a logical critic who takes a careful, balanced approach when commenting on players, coaches or any aspect of this team. I for one (as well as most who are down on BA) am not a blind villager out to burn Arians at the stake.

I also like to think that I have some semblence of what good gameplanning and play-calling look like. I don't pretend to know a significant fraction of what BA or any NFL coordinator/coach knows about the game, but I'm not questioning his accumulated knowledge, I'm questioning his ability to practically and effectively apply that knowledge.

The VAST majority of the Steeler Nation agrees and do do most outside observers who dare venture into such a discussion. Don't believe me?

Do a Google search.

There are so many obvious facts which have been offered here and elsewhere as evidence of his shortcomings, that it's dumbfounding to understand how anyone can fully support the guy. It's not to say that he hasn't done anything positive with our offense and it doesn't mitigate player execution or the continual collapse of our defense.

Those problems deserve attention when looking at the reasons for our struggles this season. Just don't let them excuse or otherwise ignore the glaring issues we have which lie at Arians doorstep.

BURGH86STEEL
12-05-2009, 07:28 AM

Please Dizz.

I'd like to think that I've presented myself as a logical critic who takes a careful, balanced approach when commenting on players, coaches or any aspect of this team. I for one (as well as most who are down on BA) am not a blind villager out to burn Arians at the stake.

I also like to think that I have some semblence of what good gameplanning and play-calling look like. I don't pretend to know a significant fraction of what BA or any NFL coordinator/coach knows about the game, but I'm not questioning his accumulated knowledge, I'm questioning his ability to practically and effectively apply that knowledge.

The VAST majority of the Steeler Nation agrees and do do most outside observers who dare venture into such a discussion. Don't believe me?

Do a Google search.

There are so many obvious facts which have been offered here and elsewhere as evidence of his shortcomings, that it's dumbfounding to understand how anyone can fully support the guy. It's not to say that he hasn't done anything positive with our offense and it doesn't mitigate player execution or the continual collapse of our defense.

Those problems deserve attention when looking at the reasons for our struggles this season. Just don't let them excuse or otherwise ignore the glaring issues we have which lie at Arians doorstep.

I don't believe that anyone is fully supporting BA. BA makes mistakes. Fans have unrealistic expectations out of OC's. Fans expect every play the OC calls to work, TD's every drive, a run game that runs up and down the field. There are so many unrealistic expectations that people don't use good sense. A lot of fans claim the offense is totally inept. That is not the truth. One can acknowledge that the players are what's holding the offense back. You admit that the players are making mistakes on the field. No coach can over come player mistakes on the field.

What is disturbing is people's reasoning for wanting him fired. I've read everything from Cleveland to people blaming him for Mendenhall being injuried last season because they did not use a FB. What was ironic was they had a lead FB blocking for Mendenhall on that play.

What is also interesting is in a lot of ways, the BA offense has been as good or exceeded the offense that Whiz coached while he was with the Steelers. The offense held up their end of the bargain last season when they were called on. The defense has not held up their end when called upon this season.