PDA

View Full Version : Redman dropped from PS

steelblood
12-02-2009, 12:39 PM
Per Steelers.com...

To bring back Justin Vincent. Whaaa?

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Guess Vincent is a more well-rounded RB while Redman is a one-trick pony.

We saw what Redman did in the pre-season and fell in love with the possibilities, but coaches have seen these guys in practice for several months since then, so they know more about this than we do at this point. I won't question it (even though I was a big Redzone Redman supporter early on).

Sugar
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
I guess the coaches are seeing things we don't. Perhaps it has something to do with ST play? I had heard that Redman was useless on ST.

steelblood
12-02-2009, 12:50 PM

We saw what Redman did in the pre-season and fell in love with the possibilities, but coaches have seen these guys in practice for several months since then, so they know more about this than we do at this point. I won't question it (even though I was a big Redzone Redman supporter early on).

It is the practice squad and Vincent will never be a starter. Vincent is certainly more well rounded. He was an all-around back at LSU. But, Redman showed the potential to possibly develop into a back that merited substantial playing time, and, imho, Vincent did not. To me, this means that we'll certainly be drafting a RB or two.

So far we've let Gary Russell and Isaac Redman go when we could have easily kept them. Don't we need a short yardage back? Mendenhall's redzone/short yardage stats have not been impressive lately.

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 01:02 PM

It is the practice squad and Vincent will never be a starter. Vincent is certainly more well rounded. He was an all-around back at LSU. But, Redman showed the potential to possibly develop into a back that merited substantial playing time, and, imho, Vincent did not. To me, this means that we'll certainly be drafting a RB or two.

So far we've let Gary Russell and Isaac Redman go when we could have easily kept them. Don't we need a short yardage back? Mendenhall's redzone/short yardage stats have not been impressive lately.

Mendenhall will be the starter next season. Moore is a competant backup option. Plus, remember that we should get Frank the Tank back from injury next year. Drafting a RB seems pretty far down the priority list. Much more pressing needs on defense.

Steeler Mafia
12-02-2009, 01:05 PM

Mendenhall will be the starter next season. Moore is a competant backup option. Plus, remember that we should get Frank the Tank back from injury next year. Drafting a RB seems pretty far down the priority list. Much more pressing needs on defense.

The problem is that Frank isn't much of a "Tank". He should change his nick name to Frank the Stank.

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 01:08 PM
Per Steelers.com...

was that in reference to that those bud light tailgate commercials with the cheesy pitchman guy....the one where they had the condiment gun "ketchup, mustard, relish...WHAAA", they were not funny at first but the more i see them the more i laugh...

oh yea, as far as redman, oh well, he was just another preseason star who would not do anything here, just like logan, i may be harsh but oh well...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Don't we still have a PS spot left? If they are saving it for Palko, who fills Palko on the 53?

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
I figured they dropped Reman becayuse he couldn't be an active player and still be eligible for the upcoming Hall of Fame voting. :stirpot

grotonsteel
12-02-2009, 01:17 PM

The problem is that Frank isn't much of a "Tank". He should change his nick name to Frank the Stank.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :Agree

grotonsteel
12-02-2009, 01:22 PM
Per Steelers.com...

I did not see anything from Justin Vincent in preseason. I hope they bring RB in free agency to replace Willie Parker.

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 01:29 PM
Remember guys this is the PRACTICE SQUAD. It's primary purpose is to have the extra players needed to act as the upcoming opponents for the first team to practcie against. Vincent probably offers more versatility in being able to replicate the upcomg opponents RBs who are probably dual threats to run and catch passes out of the backfield.

I also believe that it was reported before that Redman was a terrible blocker so he also lacks that and special team ability.

Too many people mistakenly think the PS is the primary place for players to be groomed. Those players are on the active roster like Joe Burnett, Sunny Harris and Keenan Lewis. If you get someone off the PS it is icing on the cake, the are what the name says "practice fodder and tackling dummies."

phillyesq
12-02-2009, 01:40 PM
I guess the coaches are seeing things we don't. Perhaps it has something to do with ST play? I had heard that Redman was useless on ST.

I think I also remember reading that Vincent was more of a ST contributor than Redman.

Redman showed flashes in the preseason, but obviously didn't show enough in practice to maintain his spot. I doubt this turns into any type of real loss.

steelblood
12-02-2009, 02:54 PM
Per Steelers.com...

I did not see anything from Justin Vincent in preseason. I hope they bring RB in free agency to replace Willie Parker.

THis is my point. If Mendenhall were injured, I believe Redman could come in and have a nice day running the ball. Vincent? In two preseasons, I really didn't see anything I liked very much.

It is obvious that Redman is gone because he wasn't as versatile as the Steelers would have liked. Sometimes I think Tomlin and Arians think too much of versatility over talent and effort. Carey Davis is very versatile, but I'd rather have a bruising fullback that can clear out a lane for our runner. David Johnson is just ok as a FB and a TE. We could and should have better.

I get the versatility thing. I just think sometimes it can be overrated to a point that some lose sight of a players primary function and how well they do it.

papillon
12-02-2009, 02:58 PM
Don't we still have a PS spot left? If they are saving it for Palko, who fills Palko on the 53?

I'm hoping for Anthony Madison; he was released by the colts yesterday, I think.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
12-02-2009, 03:00 PM
Per Steelers.com...

Okay, I'll do it. :Steel

Wait...when you said "I hope they bring RB in free agency" you meant "RuthlessBurgher" and not just "Running Back" right? :P

steelblood
12-02-2009, 03:09 PM
Remember guys this is the PRACTICE SQUAD. It's primary purpose is to have the extra players needed to act as the upcoming opponents for the first team to practcie against. Vincent probably offers more versatility in being able to replicate the upcomg opponents RBs who are probably dual threats to run and catch passes out of the backfield.

I also believe that it was reported before that Redman was a terrible blocker so he also lacks that and special team ability.

Too many people mistakenly think the PS is the primary place for players to be groomed. Those players are on the active roster like Joe Burnett, Sunny Harris and Keenan Lewis. If you get someone off the PS it is icing on the cake, the are what the name says "practice fodder and tackling dummies."

The Steelers tried to get Sunny Harris on the PS at the beginning of the season. It wasn't solely because they thought he'd be good on the scout team. They wanted to groom him as a 3-4 D linemen. I think the PS is for scout team and development.

feltdizz
12-02-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Mendenhall made Redman a non factor..

SidSmythe
12-02-2009, 03:35 PM
I'm not impressed w/ Vincent at all.

I was very impressed w/ Redman, except he didn't appear to be in great shape. Maybe he's lazy or doesn't work hard enough in the classroom.

or maybe they just think he'll be available next year and sign him to FA at the end of the season.

Lebsteel
12-02-2009, 07:13 PM

I'm hoping for Anthony Madison; he was released by the colts yesterday, I think.

Pappy

Looks like you got your wish Pappy. Madison signed and Ivy released.

phillyesq
12-02-2009, 08:43 PM
Here is Dale Lolley's take on the move (this comes from the comments section on his recent blog post):

Dale Lolley said...

Fans often mistake the practice squad as somewhere to hide a player who's not quite ready to contribute, but has potential.

While that does happen on occasion, the practice squad is exactly that, a place to put players who better help you practice.
They feel that Vincent gives them a better look in practice. Doesn't mean Redman won't be back. In fact, he may get another look in training camp next season. I haven't heard anything about him - disparaging or otherwise - since the season began.
7:07 PM

MeetJoeGreene
12-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Per Steelers.com...

Wait...when you said "I hope they bring RB in free agency" you meant "RuthlessBurgher" and not just "Running Back" right? :P

Is there such a thing as a zero trick pony? :mrgreen:

Oviedo
12-02-2009, 11:18 PM
Here is Dale Lolley's take on the move (this comes from the comments section on his recent blog post):

Dale Lolley said...

Fans often mistake the practice squad as somewhere to hide a player who's not quite ready to contribute, but has potential.

While that does happen on occasion, the practice squad is exactly that, a place to put players who better help you practice.
They feel that Vincent gives them a better look in practice. Doesn't mean Redman won't be back. In fact, he may get another look in training camp next season. I haven't heard anything about him - disparaging or otherwise - since the season began.

As I said but heck what do I know.

steelblood
12-03-2009, 08:37 AM

Dale Lolley said...

But, I think that Redman was the exception that Lolley is referring to. Redman was obviously originally kept on the PS because he was a talent they thought they could develop not because he was the most versatile PS scout player. In fact, I believe Vincent and Redman were both on the PS at one point. I understand that they got to the point were they needed players on the PS who could be more versatile as they prepare for the stretch run. I'm simply disappointed that they cut him and thought they should have held onto him for a few more weeks so they could have brought him into camp next season. Maybe they still will.

Oviedo
12-03-2009, 08:54 AM

Dale Lolley said...

But, I think that Redman was the exception that Lolley is referring to. Redman was obviously originally kept on the PS because he was a talent they thought they could develop not because he was the most versatile PS scout player. In fact, I believe Vincent and Redman were both on the PS at one point. I understand that they got to the point were they needed players on the PS who could be more versatile as they prepare for the stretch run. I'm simply disappointed that they cut him and thought they should have held onto him for a few more weeks so they could have brought him into camp next season. Maybe they still will.

Its unlikely he gets signed to any othe rteams 53 man roster. After the season we will know if they really like him because they can always pick him up again if they have any real interest in him. Redman's problem is that RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL nowadays and between the draft and free agency it is easy to get serviceable backs.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-03-2009, 09:34 AM

Dale Lolley said...

To be honest, I really don't watch or worry about WRS, RBS, or QBS on practice squads. More so WRS & RBS on the Steelers. For exactly what Lolley said...Help with practice. I would be willing to bet Redman has some type of injury that will keep him out of practice for some time or maybe just looking for RB with more wiggle to give a better look in practice. I have seen alot of open field missed tackles in recent games and you get a better look when you practice live against a back with wiggle coming out of the backfield than you do when you are trying to "square up" a rail runner. I say "one of the above" is the answer.

aggiebones
12-03-2009, 10:56 AM
I too was very interested to see what Redman could do on the active roster. They brought him up once, but there wasn't many opportunities that game.

A couple guys may have hit the problem. He maybe naturally lazy and not much of a classroom guy. They kept him around for awhile clearly hoping to correct some thing.
I also agree that Mendenhall's productivity has lessened the need for someone like Redman.
At the time, we just wanted to see him get some chances. NOONE here thought he was a budding superstar. Though that is always a possibility with any player that hasn't been given game time.
Alas, he may be back and may make the roster next season with Parker likely gone. Mendenhall and Moore will likely still be 2 of the top 3 backs.

And Frank the Tank is horrible. He has a long way to go to impress me and he is slowly sliding down the Steelers value chart. He'll be in camp next season, but I have a hard time seeing us keep him again.

JTP53609
12-03-2009, 11:12 AM
redman would be stefan logan....a preseason superstar that is just that..preseason

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 11:16 AM
Per Steelers.com...

Is there such a thing as a zero trick pony? :mrgreen:

Yes. A dead horse. Stop beating me. :wink:

http://www.spooncraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/beat_dead_horse2.jpg

Oviedo
12-03-2009, 11:56 AM
I too was very interested to see what Redman could do on the active roster. They brought him up once, but there wasn't many opportunities that game.

A couple guys may have hit the problem. He maybe naturally lazy and not much of a classroom guy. They kept him around for awhile clearly hoping to correct some thing.
I also agree that Mendenhall's productivity has lessened the need for someone like Redman.
At the time, we just wanted to see him get some chances. NOONE here thought he was a budding superstar. Though that is always a possibility with any player that hasn't been given game time.
Alas, he may be back and may make the roster next season with Parker likely gone. Mendenhall and Moore will likely still be 2 of the top 3 backs.

And Frank the Tank is horrible. He has a long way to go to impress me and he is slowly sliding down the Steelers value chart. He'll be in camp next season, but I have a hard time seeing us keep him again.

Not sure you can write off "The Tank" quite yet. He struggled with injuries the entire time he was active and in the pre-season. Let's see what he can do after one year of conditioning and learning the playbook.

But like I said before, RBs who are essentially going to be your #3 or #4 are a dime a dozen.

Mister Pittsburgh
12-03-2009, 12:00 PM
They cut James Harrison 3 times. Sometimes they make mistakes. Sometimes not. Time will tell.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2009, 12:50 PM
Justin Vincent is the next Chris Johnson.

:lol: