PDA

View Full Version : Herrera Calls Hines' Comment Selfish

Jooser
12-02-2009, 07:46 AM
Per PFT: (screw the Vikes)

Anthony Herrera calls Hines Ward "selfish" on concussion issue
Posted by Mike Florio on December 1, 2009 7:13 PM ET

When Steelers receiver Hines Ward awkwardly called out quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for missing Sunday night's game with a concussion, most league observers assumed that any fallout would be confined to the Pittsburgh locker room.

It's not.

On the same day that Ward said he has apologized to Roethlisberger, Vikings offensive lineman Anthony Herrera, who missed Sunday's game against the Bears with a concussion, took issue with Ward's attitude on the subject.

"Hines is being selfish," Herrera told Alex Marvez and Marty Schottenheimer of Sirius NFL Radio on Tuesday. "Honestly and truly, in our locker room no one questioned my toughness or whether I could play or not. They knew it was a concussion and it was bigger than just football.

"That's why you see all these [ex-players] right now at 50 years old who are suffering from all kinds of different things. They put football ahead of themselves. That's now how it should be. . . .

"Everyone knows Ben is a tough guy. Look how many hits he takes, the way he plays. You can't challenge a man and say that about a guy who has proven the type of player he is."

Ward did. And now Ward has spent the past two days trying to mend fences.

But it remains to be seen whether Ward and any of his teammates will view Roethlisberger differently as a result of his absence from what turned out to be a close loss to the Ravens, or whether the league, in its revolutionary effort to protect a player from himself, simultaneously has come up with a way to protect the player from the other 52 guys on the team.

Is it just me, or does it seem like Florio really has a hard-on for negative Steelers news...what a :Hater

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
12-02-2009, 09:22 AM
I like Hines but it was selfish. Could he have played...Yes. Was the risk greater than the reward...Yes. Was it right for Ben not to play even if it was his decision...Yes. Concussions, in my opinion, should be a 1 game miss min. League doctor exam. Decision should be taken out of the players and teams hands. There is no question about Ben's toughness...Hines should have never questioned it. In the past now...

Jooser
12-02-2009, 10:23 AM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/ILC2.jpg

Hines if FINE, but that comment he made about Big Ben: Hated It! :lol:

aggiebones
12-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Not news worthy really, but local heads have run with it trying to force news.
Clearly Hines was uninformed and spoke. He's more likely irritated that he's having a great season and we are losing. Winning cures all or we start fresh again next season. Hines and Ben know its nothing.

Jooser
12-04-2009, 10:03 AM
So, then, Ben didn't make the decision to sit, but rather it was MT? I didn't realize that. Maybe there's a lack of communication in Steelersland....

Roethlisberger was "hurt" by Ward's comments

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on December 3, 2009 7:45 PM ET

Hines Ward said he didn't throw Ben Roethlisberger under the bus last week. Maybe it wasn't a bus that hit him, but Roethlisberger admitted Thursday that Ward's comments hurt.

"He reached out to me and I told him I was just more hurt than anything," Roethlisberger said. "You know, we got over it, moved past it and now we're preparing."

Roethlisberger was "shocked" when he learned he had to sit, but agrees with the decision in retrospect.

"They took what was my best interests in mind,'' Roethlisberger said. "A lot of people forget the accident that I had. [The doctors] remembered that. It was life threatening, I almost lost my life for an accident to my head and face and the five plates I have in my face right now."

Big Ben has been called a drama queen before, but he makes a great point in reference to his motorcycle accident. The long-term effects of that crash have not been considered publicly regarding his safety in returning from his concussion.

Roethlisberger learned he was out last Saturday morning from coach Mike Tomlin.

"He basically pulled me in his office and told me. I was kind of in shock, upset, shock but respected what they said," Roethlisberger said.

Roethlisberger has no headaches now and "feels great." He is slated to start against the Raiders and will be given no more tests because he hasn't had any headaches since last week.

That Roethlisberger was hurt by Ward's comments makes Ward's blame of Rodney Harrison for the controversy look sillier.

Roethlisberger interpreted the interview the same way that Harrison did.

(Okay, now this horse is really dead. Flogged. We think.)

RuthlessBurgher
12-04-2009, 10:08 AM
So, then, Ben didn't make the decision to sit, but rather it was MT? I didn't realize that. Maybe there's a lack of communication in Steelersland....

I think it has been pretty clear that Maroon did not clear him to play. Neither Tomlin nor Roethlisberger had much of a say in the matter. When the neurologist says its a no-go because of a brain injury, the guy's not going to play. End of story. As it should be.

Jooser
12-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Yeah, definitely RB, I totally agree. It's just that published stories prior to last Sunday's game made the story out that BB came to MT at the end of the week and said he couldn't go. Now, the story is very much different than what I originally read. My comments about lack of communication were in reference to how Hines was seemingly griping about Ben, when all a long it was actually the docs....I'm still scratching my head a bit as to how this was originally reported. -Joos out :oops:

birtikidis
12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
You know, I never really viewed it as Hines questioning Ben. to me it was Hines questioning the coaches.