View Full Version : Roethlisberger expected to start against Raiders

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 02:30 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4703611

Roethlisberger expected to start
By James Walker
Updated: December 1, 2009, 1:09 PM ET
ESPN.com

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin expects quarterback Ben Roethlisberger to start Sunday against the Oakland Raiders.

But unlike last week, Tomlin says the team is not expecting any last-minute complications from Roethlisberger's recent concussion -- the fourth of his career.

"We're not anticipating him having headaches this week," Tomlin confirmed in his Tuesday news conference.

Roethlisberger caused a stir within the team when he practiced with the starters all week but was sidelined by the medical staff one day before last week's crucial loss to the Baltimore Ravens. Roethlisberger had exercise-induced headaches late last week, which forced former third-stringer Dennis Dixon to play in the overtime loss that put Pittsburgh's (6-5) playoff hopes in jeopardy.

Receiver and team captain Hines Ward was among the most vocal in expressing his disappointment that Roethlisberger would not play against the Ravens. But Tomlin said Ward and Roethlisberger have ironed things out.

"I've been informed that those two guys spoke extensively," Tomlin said. "I spoke to Hines last night. He called me and it was a good, clean conversation. He assured me that this football team will be ready to prepare for and ultimately play Oakland when we come here [Wednesday]."

On his official Facebook page, Ward said he and Roethlisberger had resolved the issue and are focusing on Sunday's game. "So the moral of this story is not to do an interview based off of emotions," Ward said in his Facebook post. "I made that mistake and I have apologized to Ben for that. Ben and I are cool and always will be. We will not let this come between us, our talk was very productive."

Roethlisberger, who was having his best season statistically despite the Steelers' erratic play, went through "a normal week" of preparation for the pivotal game at Baltimore and had said he had every intention of playing.

His decision to not play came as the NFL has taken a heightened stance on protecting players from head injuries. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell sent a memo to teams outlining steps the league is taking to reduce head impacts.

Roethlisberger had two concussions in 2006, including one from a motorcycle accident, and the other last season.

In other injury news Steelers Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu is doubtful for Sunday's game. Tomlin believes Polamalu is still about a week or so away from returning.

James Walker covers the AFC North for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

SteelerNation1
12-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Wasnt he supposed to start last week too? :HeadBanger

RuthlessBurgher
12-01-2009, 03:00 PM
I don't understand the ""We're not anticipating him having headaches this week" statement. How about you wait until after practice, then see if he has headaches again?

Ghost
12-01-2009, 05:02 PM
I don't understand the ""We're not anticipating him having headaches this week" statement. How about you wait until after practice, then see if he has headaches again?

Maybe he meant to say, "We not anticipating Ben telling anyone, especially the doctors, about headaches, even if he has one."

MeetJoeGreene
12-01-2009, 05:06 PM

Headaches don't stand a chance against HELL UNLEASHED

Jooser
12-01-2009, 05:10 PM
I'm getting a headache from all this effing drama... :Hater :D

phillyesq
12-01-2009, 05:34 PM
Lets hope this works out better than the last time Ben returned from a concussion and played against the Raiders.

MeetJoeGreene
12-01-2009, 05:39 PM
Lets hope this works out better than the last time Ben returned from a concussion and played against the Raiders.

<gulp>.

How did I forget about that....

... oh yeah, I repressed that memory.

Thanks dude!!!

SteelAbility
12-01-2009, 05:42 PM
This is a bit reminiscent of the 06 season ...

- Sloppy play leading to losses
- Ben Concussion
- Will Ben Play? ....
- ... against the Raidahs

:stirpot

SteelAbility
12-01-2009, 05:43 PM

<gulp>.

How did I forget about that....

... oh yeah, I repressed that memory.

Thanks dude!!!

How could we EVER forget failure to get the ball in the EZ with 1st and goal from the 1???

eniparadoxgma
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SteelBucks
12-01-2009, 07:01 PM

But does Troy's knee stand a chance? :D

JTP53609
12-02-2009, 01:50 PM
boy i hope the steelers dont expect to get a win just for showing up, they usually dont play to the level of their opponent so we should be good...oh wait..

buckeyehoppy
12-03-2009, 01:16 AM

TBH, Joose, I can't say I disagree with your sentiment here.

If Benjamin is really hurt, put him on the shelf. And I say that even if it doesn't help the team.

OTOH, how do we know it's helping the team for him to be in anyway? The last time he had a concussion that we were aware of, we started the 2006 season 2-6.

Don't just assume that if Benjamin is in that everything is gonna be cool. I hope it is. But history tells us to keep our good luck charms handy.

BradshawsHairdresser
12-03-2009, 07:43 PM

If Benjamin is really hurt, put him on the shelf. And I say that even if it doesn't help the team.

OTOH, how do we know it's helping the team for him to be in anyway? The last time he had a concussion that we were aware of, we started the 2006 season 2-6.

Don't just assume that if Benjamin is in that everything is gonna be cool. I hope it is. But history tells us to keep our good luck charms handy.

Benjamin?

Has anyone ever called him that before?

RuthlessBurgher
12-03-2009, 08:15 PM

Benjamin?

Has anyone ever called him that before?

That was annoying me when hoppy started writing it a few days ago, but I attributed it to my general grumpiness following a third straight loss. Now that my emotions have settled somewhat a few days later, I've decided that it's still freakin' annoying.

As another example, when the Seahawks play-by-play guy refers to Hasselbeck as "Matthew" during game broadcasts, I want to punch him in the face through the radio.

Unless you go by your formal name all the time (like Michael Jordan instead of Mike Jordan or Sidney Crosby instead of Sid Crosby), the only time that I can stomach taking a guy's typical name and formalizing it to the full given name is if it is a hot British woman. If, say, Elizabeth Hurley were to refer to me in a proper manner and call me "Ronald" then I would be fine with it. Everyone else is going to call me "Ron" (including hot women from any other country).

It's not about the Benjamins, bay-bee.